Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Music sounds bad 😣

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 08:22 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,419 Likes on 1,596 Posts

There are only two Bose systems for the C7. The “Standard (9 speakers),” which is included with the 1LT and 1LZ, and “Bose Premium Audio (9 speakers w/sub),” which is included with the 2LT/LZ and 3 LT/LZ. As mentioned, the premium isn’t much better. Some like it, and some don’t. I’m in the latter camp, but have ultimately found it to be serviceable. I’ve read that adding sound dampening material helps FWIW, and you can obviously tune the rudimentary EQ. http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2013/...ette-stingray/

The following 2 users liked this post by sTz:
Kevin A Jones (07-21-2018), rsvette12 (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 08:24 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

Here is one of the posts I was referring to - you did yourself a favor now you dont have to pay for or rip that Bose sub out

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-jl-audio.html
Old 07-21-2018, 08:26 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,207 Likes on 3,453 Posts

Have you tried listening to different music?

Seriously, some sounds better than others, imho.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:38 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Yes some mp3s due to quality of file do not sound as good as others on a Bose - scary - all mp3s sound great on a quality head unit - I rest my case

Last edited by rsvette12; 07-21-2018 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:11 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

What is the source for the music you are listening to? The music on my mini-usb drive inserted into the USB port behind the screen loaded with high-quality stuff sounds really good to me. I do have the 3LT optioned C7, but still, in any case consider the source of the music by which you judge the sound coming from your car stereo system.

FWIW.
The following users liked this post:
Har-ray (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 10:42 PM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by ExRedRacer
What is the source for the music you are listening to? The music on my mini-usb drive inserted into the USB port behind the screen loaded with high-quality stuff sounds really good to me. I do have the 3LT optioned C7, but still, in any case consider the source of the music by which you judge the sound coming from your car stereo system.

FWIW.

USB port!...Thats a great starting point and prolly the best audio source we have. My last 2 cars where BMW's ( M3 & 550 m-sport and before that was a C63 AMG ) and both had the harmon premium audio systems neither did not sound as full as the bose in my 2018 C7 but once i added a small amp and BASS tube behind the seat they sounded fantastic! and much better than the stock bose system in my c7

This is what i was going to suggest to the OP but somehow i must have upset him.

I would like to add a small sub in my C7 but there is not many options since the space is so limited... and i dont want a big 10" or 12" sub enclosure.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:04 PM
2016C7.paul
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

There are many c7 audio threads. I think I have read them all. I will summarize:

1) If you are coming from a custom stereo in a boxy car, like me ($5k custom job with Focal 3ways, 2 ways, and dual 8" subs in a custom box, dedicated Alpine amps, Pioneer AVH series DVD player/head unit in a 2012 Toyota 4Runner), you will think the stock C7 stereo sucks. It does not suck. It is just a stock stereo. Custom aftermarket is always better.

2) If you are coming from another stock stereo, you will likely think the Bose is an improvement. (Its really not that bad if you tweak it and listen to quality digital files)

3) The corvette is never going to "stage" as well as a boxy car like a 4Runner. Because physics.

4) Easy tweaks until custom investment:

- Listen to digital only (USB stick, Android/iPhone, Sirius/XM)
- FM radio sounds like **** in any car comapred to the above, but especially on your stock stereo
- Adjust your tone settings and make at least two custom settings for easy switching (see image below)

To my ears, the muddy Bose lows are the headache, so I have two custom tone settings, one with very little bass and one with slightly less bass than the mid and treble. I use the latter more than the former. I also have the speakers boosted slightly forward of center of the car.

Old 07-21-2018, 11:20 PM
PrinceJamesI
Cruising

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2016C7.paul
There are many c7 audio threads. I think I have read them all. I will summarize:

1) If you are coming from a custom stereo in a boxy car, like me ($5k custom job with Focal 3ways, 2 ways, and dual 8" subs in a custom box, dedicated Alpine amps, Pioneer AVH series DVD player/head unit in a 2012 Toyota 4Runner), you will think the stock C7 stereo sucks. It does not suck. It is just a stock stereo. Custom aftermarket is always better.

2) If you are coming from another stock stereo, you will likely think the Bose is an improvement. (Its really not that bad if you tweak it and listen to quality digital files)

3) The corvette is never going to "stage" as well as a boxy car like a 4Runner. Because physics.

4) Easy tweaks until custom investment:

- Listen to digital only (USB stick, Android/iPhone, Sirius/XM)
- FM radio sounds like **** in any car comapred to the above, but especially on your stock stereo
- Adjust your tone settings and make at least two custom settings for easy switching (see image below)

To my ears, the muddy Bose lows are the headache, so I have two custom tone settings, one with very little bass and one with slightly less bass than the mid and treble. I use the latter more than the former. I also have the speakers boosted slightly forward of center of the car.

Thanks for the pics of your settings. Thats what im looking for. I will try them out.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:57 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by 65fastback
I have the same car and base stereo as you...

EVERYONE hears things differently...and will describe "sound" differently Please tell us what your car you had where the audio system sounded good to you??
My wife's 2012 Range Rover Evoque, with its Meridian sound system. Blows the Bose system in the 3LT out of the water in crispness, clarity, base punch and definition. Makes my 18 Grands sport 3LT sound like it has a transistor radio.

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
If it makes you feel any better the upgraded Bose (2LT-3LT, 10 speaker) is not much better.
I fully agree.

My 17 F-150 Platinum sounds way better than my 18 Grand Sport 3LT. However my truck doesn't sound any where close to as good as my wife's Evoque.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:47 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

Music appreciation is very subjective. We've heard from professional musicians, high end audiophiles, and numb eared enthusiasts alike. You'll probably please them all with a high end home or studio system played in a room suitable for music appreciation but not likely to please very many in a Corvette. Many things come into play when listening to music in a Corvette. Not the least of which is the shape of the "room". It has a lot to do with sound propagation and the weird, cramped shape of the inside of a Corvette makes that problematic. The materials used in the interior also have an effect on sound, too. Add in the sometimes overwhelming road noise and even the best, most expensive sound system will suffer. Now I like music as much as most. But I don't expect great sound out of a stereo system in a tight, loud, sports car. Its not what brought me to Corvette in the first place. I would like to have a few more equalizer controls, though, to customize the sound with greater precision. Overall, I think my 3LT Bose sounds pretty good for the challenge it faces.

If you want studio quality music while you drive I'd suggest a custom system in a Prius. I hear the electric cars are very quiet, great for music appreciation.
The following 4 users liked this post by Frodo:
65fastback (07-22-2018), blkvet6 (07-22-2018), ftrusty (07-22-2018), NSC5 (07-23-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 07:58 AM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Interesting EQ pics my bass is positioned on the bottom not the top

Also noticed you have fronts more prominent - I have it the opposite more towards the back because of embarrassing and annoying free of charge door rattle

Last edited by rsvette12; 07-22-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:11 PM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave80C3
My wife's 2012 Range Rover Evoque, with its Meridian sound system. Blows the Bose system in the 3LT out of the water in crispness, clarity, base punch and definition. Makes my 18 Grands sport 3LT sound like it has a transistor radio.

I fully agree.

My 17 F-150 Platinum sounds way better than my 18 Grand Sport 3LT. However my truck doesn't sound any where close to as good as my wife's Evoque.

My wife has a 2013 bmw X5 m sport and it has the harmon kardon system and it sounds good...about as good as the bose in my c7...she had it in for service and she got a loaner, it was a brand new X5 and that stereo sounded incredible in fact it was the best sounding "stock" factory system ive heard.
Yeah i have heard the range rover meridian systems sound fantastic although i test drove a Jaguar F type and it had a meridian system ...it did not sound as good as i thought it would. Sports car's in general are about the most challenged place to put audio.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:31 PM
joseanMD
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by PrinceJamesI
I bought the least exspensive 2019 C7 Corvette Stingray. The one with the most basic bose sound system. Theres only 3 settings to change on the equalizer. Mid, treble and bass. Nothing else but moving sound forward or back or left or right of center. No preset equalizer settings like most cars have. Bottomline the sound is horrible. I cant find anyone on these forums who has the most basic sound system like i have. If anyone does, has anyone found the best settings to make the music sound good? Help me get better sound out this basic sound system.
This is why the 2LT upgrade is worth it, trust me it makes the music sound great on my C7. That subwofer speaker is amazing! TOTALLY worth the upgrade, the music actually sounds great on this car.
It is one of the main reasons I got the 2LT instead of the 1LT. Sorry to hear that bro... you can always go aftermarket and add a subwoofer to the car, I am sure it has the space for it, but it will make the music sound awesome!
Old 07-22-2018, 12:38 PM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
If it makes you feel any better the upgraded Bose (2LT-3LT, 10 speaker) is not much better.

I have the 3LT package, and am happy with the Bose stereo, or put it this way, have no desire to spend money on an aftermarket upgrade. I also own a 2006 PCA Club Coupe, and ordered it without the Bose option because I knew I'd defeat all the bass anyway; happy with that too. The point is, if you're not happy with the base sound system that comes with the 1LT, seek out aftermarket alternatives.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:45 PM
tadda
Le Mans Master

Received 6,830 Likes on 2,639 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by c54u
You can make your own preset equalizer settings by using the tone controls and save them to a favorite button...go into tone controls and move them to where you want, now bring up the favorite buttons from the bottom of the tone screen, press and hold the favorite button you want to save the tone settings to....done. Now you can go into radio setting and under manage favorites, you can rename the favorite buttons from tone 1, tone 2 to whatever you want.

Thanks for posting...I had no idea this could be done...

I just created 2 tone buttons (Tone LB and Tone HB) for compensate for lower bass or higher bass sound tracks...
c54u (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 01:03 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

I have a 3LZ and the only bad thing about the stereo is that both doors rattle so badly with any sort of bass...…. only way to stop it is to physically press the door panel against the outside as hard as you can.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:15 PM
LimeRay
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 188 Posts

It sucks, there's no argument to be had. My Audi Allroad has a Harmon Kardon system that makes it sound like a Little Tikes kids toy radio.

Last edited by LimeRay; 07-22-2018 at 02:04 PM.
rsvette12 (07-22-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Music sounds bad 😣

Old 07-22-2018, 02:32 PM
AZ99FRC
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 65fastback
I really dislike these audio threads because there will always be a guy saying something sounds like crap and another guy say the same thing sounds great. ALWAYS!!!!!
Its like what color car should i get or what are the best wheels.... sheesh

The truth is....these bose systems are better than average but our car is a horrible listening environment.
I ve been a musician and recording engineer for way longer than id like to admit and i am very picky about audio in the cars i drive. This bose system lacks the low end but its not bad for door speakers... all in all it has very good imaging and good mid and high end. You need a good sound source.
Yup, and inevitably, someone will suggest he get a Prius. Oh, wait....someone already has!
Old 07-22-2018, 02:53 PM
joseanMD
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

If you want a great audio system, will you trade the Vette for the CT6?
Old 07-22-2018, 03:00 PM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

I have a 1LT. I’m a guitar player btw and I have an audiophile system at home (McIntosh/Krell/Linn). The Bose in the 1LT is what it is. On par with the systems in my Porsche and Tahoe. One easy swap you may want to try is upgrading just the tweeters. I think the amps and bass are passable, but the high frequency could use help.
rsvette12 (07-22-2018)

Quick Reply: Music sounds bad 😣