Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 08:18 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Silver C7
Get the car, spend the extra thousand dollars and air fare. Take the two day Corvette Owners School at Spring Mountain. I guarantee you’ll know more about your car and you driving it than 99% of drivers already on the road. Your GS will never be too much car for you.
I tend/have to agree with this one. I don't know how much car handling experience you, the OP, have but from what I've read about Spring Mountain--they are excellent and you will learn some new things. And while the Spring Mtn. learning will help you as a beginner if you choose to race, the real benefit is what you'll learn about the car whenever you may drive it.

Whether it's a 100 hp econo or a 460 hp GS, if you do the wrong thing at the wrong time, it could be crunch time. Many pros say the best improvement you can make to a car is the driver. Years of driving don't matter in some instances; knowing what the car and you can do, does. jmo
Old 07-22-2018, 08:43 AM
TwoVettes6916
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Too much car for me?

Originally Posted by jenfioreally
....am I going to regret it?
I know I’m probably out numbered being a female on this forum, but I want a honest answer.

Yes, you are probably outnumbered here, as far as the ratio of men versus women members of this forum. But you are part of the vast majority in the love you have (interest now, until you own a Vette; then it will be love!) for America's Sports Car!
As so many other posters have mentioned, just take your time in becoming acquainted with your car. It is definitely peppier than most other cars on the highway, but if you don't try to do anything too silly too soon, you and your car will be fine.
Also, if your schedule and budget allow it, I would highly recommend that you attend a session at the Ron Fellows driving school. It is a great way to actually experience what the car can do, under careful supervision.
Lastly, you ask if you are going to regret buying a Vette (any level). Barring any serious mechanical problems (that should be taken care of by warranty), I don't think you will ever regret buying a Vette.
Good luck with your purchase of whatever version you end up with.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:53 AM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I can not believe someone said that to you. Just like many have said here, they are not your friends. like anything one tries for the first time or just getting used too. It takes time and practice to get the most out of it, but that does not mean one can or could not drive it like a Prius if they wanted to. My 30 year old girlfriend drive my 640 hp vette more aggressively than me all the time. Get what make you feel happy and comfortable behind the wheel. Your comfort level behind the wheel is really what makes the difference.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:03 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

If you are in your 90s, the GS is probably too much car for you...
Old 07-22-2018, 09:10 AM
Tommyleo
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I’m a female and two different times I’ve been told that a grand sport is “too much car” for me. Someone please explain....
am I going to regret it?
I know I’m probably out numbered being a female on this forum, but I want a honest answer.
If you get new one I suggest that you take the Corvette driving school. You will never regret. I have a Grand Sport and I went there, best thing you can do for your driving!
Old 07-22-2018, 09:13 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Sounds like someone thinks you are too much woman for him and oughta stay in the kitchen lol.
Sheesh

These cars have so many nannys you can be a lousy driver and still stay in control. Enjoy, let em eat their hearts out.
If these cars had 0 nannies youd see a lot of "great drivers" killing themselves in them. Fact.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:14 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,920 Likes on 4,806 Posts

Sounds like it is too much car for them not you..
Old 07-22-2018, 09:16 AM
tadda
Le Mans Master

Received 6,805 Likes on 2,631 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
...These cars have so many nannys you can be a lousy driver and still stay in control. Enjoy, let em eat their hearts out.
If these cars had 0 nannies youd see a lot of "great drivers" killing themselves in them.....

Old 07-22-2018, 09:44 AM
PuckDracon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Throttles are not ON/OFF switches where a fast car automatically tries to kill you...there isn't really such thing as "too much car", just over confident drivers. Very few people can get all the performance out of their vehicle in a competitive situation but that does not matter in day to day driving. When you attempt to drive beyond your limits is when things get dangerous.

That was a very silly comment made to you, ESPECIALLY considering you have already owned Corvettes in the past. If you like the car, get it and enjoy it . If you are a responsible adult than you will have nothing to worry about. If you are the type of person who has to floor it against every civic that throws a rev at you, show off to friends, or drive like a maniac in traffic, than you cannot blame the car if/when an accident happens.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:00 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,932 Likes on 2,421 Posts

The car is a beast and that's exactly why we all bought one. You're going to love it. Can't wait to see your review and pics.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:03 AM
wrwillcox
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

My wife's daily driver is a 2018 Grand Sport and if you can believe the onstar reports, she drives it like she stole it. Seriously, she says this is the best car she has ever owned and that includes 4 other corvettes and a couple of Z28's. Don't let other people tell you what you can do ! You decide.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:04 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,456 Posts

It’s not my first corvette, so I feel like it’s a very unfair judgement. I had a 2005 for almost 5 yrs and then a Z51 for almost a yr and the grand sport is on order and should arrive soon. When I drove away from the dealership in the Z51 it was in tour mode and I HATED how “loose” it drove because I was not accustomed to that with my 2005. I realized I liked it in either track or sport mode and never put it in tour mode after that.
I guess time will tell because I’ll have it soon...����*♀️

When the critics start contributing to paying for the car, or their name is on the registration, that's when you listen to them. Other than that, do what makes you happy, I quit worrying about what other people thought back in high school.

Last edited by Thunder22; 07-22-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:04 AM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 840 Likes on 656 Posts

I’m a female and two different times I’ve been told that a grand sport is “too much car” for me. Someone please explain....
am I going to regret it?
How do you know till you try ? You'll be fine.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:20 AM
joseanMD
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

am I going to regret it?
Forget the Grand Sport! Get a used Z06 low miles, instead of the grand sport (should be about same price) and make sure all those guys drool on your awesome car!
However, I must say, I do spin my tires on my C7 Stingray, which is the base model, anything above that should be use if you re racing the car and taking it to a track. If you are racing the Vette at least 20 times a year, then go Grand Sport or Z06 if you aren't going to the track at least 20 times a year then just get a Stingray. trust me it will be a much comfortable ride (better suspension), it is more practical (Cheaper) and it is still an AWESOME car! I mean I can easily spin the tires on the Stingray 460hp is no joke! Trust me on that! The basic Stingray GOES VERY FAST! and it looks great!
Regardless don't buy a car for whatever other people think, just get the car that is right for you!
Old 07-22-2018, 10:24 AM
GeoBella
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi Jenfioreally,
Don’t listen to jealous people, buy the Grand Sport and enjoy it every day. Here is a true story, When I bought my Z06 last year I traded a Camaro SS in for it and thinking I could handle the test ride, I full throttled the Vette out of the dealership parking lot,
to my surprise I did a complete 360 on US 1 in Fairfield CT. My salesman was not too happy. When my wife took her turn test driving,
she drove it much better than I did and my salesman lets me hear about it every time I have a Dealership visit. Buy the car and don’t listen to anyone who is trying to talk you out of it.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:35 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Lol. Absolutely not. Just give it the respect it deserves and you'll be fine. I have a friend that drives a 2010 Callaway GS that's very modded as her daily driver. She loves it and her only issue has been a couple tickets. She even takes it to the drag strip.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:38 AM
BobFic
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Welcome to the club, reference who said what, it's part of life, times people speak out of their azz. I was going to type out paragraph but I'm a person of short words, it's cool you being aboard, don't forget to post up some pic's....Peace

Get notified of new replies

To Too much car for me?

Old 07-22-2018, 10:42 AM
CocoVette
Racer

Received 225 Likes on 90 Posts

As a 32 year old female, I get that sht a lot. Whether someone assumes it's my husband's or just the scathing look on people's faces . I have a Stingray, and it is a lot of car for me. It's taught me to absolutely respect the power of it, and be much more responsible with it, after a few oh sht moments. Regardless of gender, I think any car can be too much for anyone.

Last edited by CocoVette; 07-22-2018 at 10:42 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by CocoVette:
AORoads (07-22-2018), ElGreco53 (07-22-2018), Rebel Yell (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 11:05 AM
Bfine Blue
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

am I going to regret it?

My wife ordered a 15 Z51 convertible manual 7 spd for her 40th birthday. Lol, if someone told my wife that... Problem is people, especially other women, don't know what to make of seeing a female exhibiting such a strong independent will to live life beyond a friggin camry or minivan. Get your GS girl.

Last edited by Bfine Blue; 07-22-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:07 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

You know who thinks men are better drivers? Men.

You know who thinks women are better drivers? Actuaries.
The following 2 users liked this post by davepl:
ElGreco53 (07-22-2018), Red Alert (07-23-2018)

Quick Reply: Too much car for me?