Sponsored by:

HELP! New apartment, center of car SCRAPES a LOT

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 03:40 PM
i3eezenotch
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Default HELP! New apartment, center of car SCRAPES a LOT

Hey guys, I have a bit of an urgent problem. I just drove from Philly to Santa Monica for work for 1 year. The garage in the building has an absurdly steep valley on the way in and a steep decline down the driveway after -- such that I can avoid scraping the nose of my car if I come in on an angle, but the center of the car scrapes badly on the way in. There is a guy with a freaking McLaren in the garage and it's actually higher than my car, but also scrapes. I think (hope) it's just the aftermarket side skirts that I put on it, because I couldn't see any significant damage when I looked underneath with a flashlight, but I need a solution ASAP.

Back in Philly, we used some ghetto planks of wood if need be. They seem open here to a solution, but at least in the meantime, I hope to buy something I can put in the trunk of my car to help me get in and out. Ideally, something I can get on Amazon with 2 day or overnight shipping. I need some sort of ramp that can fit in the car -- ideally something that I can fit well into the valley to prevent the dip. Something 5 inches high or so at least, I think would be safest. Anyone have any suggestions?

A much less important question also: anyone have any recommendations for hand car wash locations near Santa Monica? I always hand washed the car myself, but that's not allowed here. Thanks!
Old 07-24-2018, 11:04 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Received 834 Likes on 370 Posts

Use a2”x10”, cut to length you need. If need be, screw 2 together to make it 4”x10”. Mitre the edges 30 degrees.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:12 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,496 Likes on 1,893 Posts

Another option, for the next year at least, use the factory bolts to raise your suspension all the way. Lower back to normal when you get back to Philly
The following users liked this post:
SilverGhost (07-24-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 11:22 PM
i3eezenotch
Instructor

Thanks guys. How much higher can I get it with factory bolts? This sucks so much. I bought a rocker grate I thought would help
today, but I need a much longer level. See photo.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:26 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Received 834 Likes on 370 Posts

That curb gonna eat your side skirts.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:26 PM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

1. Bolt how to thread, how much? probably an inch raised

lowering on stock bolts how to

2. Move, that's what temporary apartments are all about.

Last edited by SilverGhost; 07-24-2018 at 11:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LT4CMG (07-24-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 11:31 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,496 Likes on 1,893 Posts

SilverGhost is pretty close I think. I dropped mine last yr from the factory settings all the way. The front ended up settling about an inch lower, the rear about 7/8. Factory bolts are roughly at middle point. So maybe you’ll gain 3/4 to inch?
Old 07-24-2018, 11:56 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,216 Likes on 3,459 Posts

That looks terrible! From the pix I cannot believe only the skirts are dragging... if so, though, you best leave them to it until you work out a temp solution. I agree; some wood ramps are the quickest, best option. I expect it to take some experimentation to get an effective set, though. Buy some two or three foot lengths to play with. All the best.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:01 AM
i3eezenotch
Instructor

Im hoping it’s mlstky the skirts. It’s bad though. I haven’t taken the car out again. I start work in a Week. Need to find a solution by then. Worst case, I will buy a bunch of plywood to raise the whole dip side. It sucks because it’s such a high peak and a long dip in either direction.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:14 PM
FireRoc
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

My suggestion is to use 2 pieces of 2x8 between the wheelbase that you would put in place as you enter the garage. or on the street side of the ramp when exiting. Looking at the picture, I would think they would need to 3 to 3.5 feet long. The procedure would be (either entering or exiting) is to drive to a point where the front wheels are at the highest point. Then place the 2x8s so that they are one the street side with one end at the juncture of the concreted and pavement. Then slowly drive over the 2x8s. After that, stop and put them in the car. I would angle cut the ends at about 45 degrees. If one board is not high enough, I would add a shorter piece on top near the end that is closest to the street. Probably 1.5 to 2 feet long.

I made ramps out of 2x4s on their sides (3.5 inches high) that I can slide under the front or under the rocker panels so 2 pieces of 2x8 one on top of the other would be 3 inches high so they should clear.

For the bottom of the ramp, if you can angle it, I would just do that. Also, if it is just the air dam pieces under the nose that is scraping that is no big deal as they are designed to take some scraping. Mine scrape going in and out of driveway with no issues.

Hope you can get this figured out.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:47 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

GM publishes "Trim Height" (ride height) numbers in the Service Manual for each model, including a set where you simply measure from the pavement to the top of the wheel arches. I don't have my copy scanned yet but someone else should be able to post them here. Measure with full gas, no people or luggage, tire pressure set, level pavement. Tire wear will reduce the height and I correct for that. Repeat several times, driving between times.

Our C6 Z51 was at or slightly below the official height but did not scrape. Our 2017 Z51 was about the same but scraped parking lot speed bumps several times when we visited Phoenix in winter. I had it adjusted up to exactly stock height and the scraping seems to be gone. Each turn of the bolts will raise/lower that corner of the car about 3/32" when measured at the wheel wells.

Having said all that, it will take a lot of adjustment to fix OP's problem.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:50 PM
speed4tu
Drifting

Received 372 Likes on 262 Posts

Easiest thing to do is raise it back up like everyone says. That or either cut some wood to put down. If you're sharing the drive with folks its gonna get old putting it in and out daily. Reason the Mclauren is able to clear is he can adjust height from inside the car to remedy the problem.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:58 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by i3eezenotch

Thanks guys. How much higher can I get it with factory bolts? This sucks so much. I bought a rocker grate I thought would help

Holy Crap - thanks for sharing
Old 07-25-2018, 02:07 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,396 Likes on 840 Posts

1) raise it
2) install sliders/rails if available. I know they are available for C5, C6, not sure about C7.
3) find an offsite garage if needed. sounds crazy but I bet you can get one for around $100/mo

good luck!
Old 07-25-2018, 02:34 PM
bgoose99
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I made some very simple ramps out of plywood. Stacked various lengths in layers to match the dip before my garage. Works perfectly, cheap, and you can have the store make all the cuts if you don't have the equipment.

Then I painted them to match my car because I'm a dork...
Old 07-25-2018, 03:30 PM
BlackHoleGravity
Heel & Toe

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Geez, that sucks, and would freak me out too!! They should include a clause in the lease that indicates that the parking lot is an SUV only zone...I hope you find a workable solution.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:45 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by i3eezenotch

You need to move to a different apartment complex. Eventually you will destroy those rocker panels, and they are NOT cheap to replace.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP! New apartment, center of car SCRAPES a LOT

Old 07-25-2018, 04:02 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Just looking at that gives me nightmares. That is a fairly long steep incline with a sudden level/drop so it isn't going to be easy to overcome like those little valleys between a driveway and street. I expect my ATS would be a close call given that bizarre layout; my GMC 2500HD would be fine except the clown that designed that approach probably also included a 6' clearance somewhere just to screw everything up.

If the ramps cannot stay in place I couldn't deal with putting them in place twice a day. If you are locked in on a lease, find safe offsite storage for your C7 and pick up a beater or motorcycle to get back and forth to the C7 when you need a real car. If moving is an option carefully get the car out and move somewhere with less goofy parking.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:14 PM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by SilverScorp
You need to move to a different apartment complex. Eventually you will destroy those rocker panels, and they are NOT cheap to replace.
Hmmm...I wonder if an apartment landlord would let someone out of a signed lease, if a tenant is incapable of getting their stock-height vehicle in and out of the apartment complex entrances. Of course, I don't think I'd sign a lease before making sure I could physically get my vehicles into the place to start with. To the OP, was this living arrangement something your place of business lined up for you before you arrived? If so, maybe explain to them what is going on and see if moving somewhere else is an option under the circumstances?

I know I can't fathom the hassle of having to drag out ramps every single time I came and left my home. Best of luck, man!
Old 07-25-2018, 09:25 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Take off the side skirts.
Raise car on stock bolts as much as possible.
Drive with 1/2 tank or less of gas.

Quick Reply: HELP! New apartment, center of car SCRAPES a LOT