Sponsored by:

What sub enclosure do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 11:50 AM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepSRT+C7
so....I was supposed to have my install done the other day. The tech at BestBuy looked up what needed to be done. Basically there wasn't enough time allotted for me with my given time slot. He didn't want to rush. I was extremely annoyed...but, in the end he did the right thing. So now it's gonna be 9/3. I'll report back then.

He did say he has to cut the noise canceling wires. "cut". Is there a way to disable it that is less intrusive or less permanent?

well at least the guys at Best Buy understand that needs to be done however I’m surprised they use the word “ cut “ . It should take him less than five minutes to pop those two wires out ant NOT cut them. And five minutes is being generous because that’s how long it took me and I am no stereo installer dude.

just curious how long did they say it was going to take? Your sub and amp are self contained so this makes it even easier.

seriously this should only take an hour including smoke break and BS with the other guys. This really is a basic car audio install. Just because it’s a Corvette does not make it difficult or time-consuming .
The following users liked this post:
rsvette12 (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 11:18 PM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

Received 376 Likes on 265 Posts

you are correct...it actually is a quickie job for them. BUT, what he wants more time for was running the wire for the little volume **** for the sub. It came with a separate volume control. He said he'd have to remove the dash and center console to tuck the wire run. He didn't want to be rushed and chance of breaking it while rushing. I appreciate that.

I had a few ideas of where I wanted it but he didn't want to drill any pinholes...so, I'll have it Velcro'd near under the dash where your right knee is. My legs never hit the dash there...it'll be hidden yet easy reach...and not permanent.

I was pretty sure he wouldn't have to "cut" the noise cancel wires. I emphasize this when I go back.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:46 AM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

...running the wire for the little volume **** for the sub. I had a few ideas of where I wanted it but he didn't want to drill any pinholes
For my install I’m going to try put a bass level **** in the pop up 12v socket to the right of the shifter. Since it’s a little door I assume the whole piece can be removed and replaced. If fabricated nicely it should still be able to pop down and be hidden if desired. I did this in a previous car but removing the guts of a cigarette lighter and just super gluing the bass **** to a generic lighter piece. Thus the final outcome appeared totally stock and once again very easy to replace that one piece to return the OEM functionality.

Not sure Best Buy would do such custom fab work but if the console has to come out it would be an opportune time to see what is possible behind that little door. I bet the ****’s mounting bracket could be trimmed down to fit in there with some creative dremel skills.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:51 AM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

you are correct...it actually is a quickie job for them. BUT, what he wants more time for was running the wire for the little volume **** for the sub. It came with a separate volume control. He said he'd have to remove the dash and center console to tuck the wire run. He didn't want to be rushed and chance of breaking it while rushing. I appreciate that.

I had a few ideas of where I wanted it but he didn't want to drill any pinholes...so, I'll have it Velcro'd near under the dash where your right knee is. My legs never hit the dash there...it'll be hidden yet easy reach...and not permanent.

I was pretty sure he wouldn't have to "cut" the noise cancel wires. I emphasize this when I go back.

I’m using the bass **** that is sold separately but works with the LC2i
i mounted it just below the armrest compartment. Velcro to the carpet, I know it sound stupid but it works for me I don’t have to reach anywhere it’s literally right where my hand rests when iam driving....its Kinda by the seatbelt I’ll post a pic later today.... this placement made it super easy to route the wire since the panels and carpet in these cars are not super tight fitting like some European cars I’ve had
rsvette12 (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 01:03 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by JMII

For my install I’m going to try put a bass level **** in the pop up 12v socket to the right of the shifter. Since it’s a little door I assume the whole piece can be removed and replaced. If fabricated nicely it should still be able to pop down and be hidden if desired. I did this in a previous car but removing the guts of a cigarette lighter and just super gluing the bass **** to a generic lighter piece. Thus the final outcome appeared totally stock and once again very easy to replace that one piece to return the OEM functionality.

Not sure Best Buy would do such custom fab work but if the console has to come out it would be an opportune time to see what is possible behind that little door. I bet the ****’s mounting bracket could be trimmed down to fit in there with some creative dremel skills.
Pop up door would be my choice also just dont know if it will fit as installer has not gotten back to me on a date to get this done
Old 08-21-2018, 01:16 PM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rsvette12
Pop up door would be my choice also just dont know if it will fit as installer has not gotten back to me on a date to get this done

yeah ah that’s a cool place to put it, I tend to be lazy .... mostly because I don’t keep cars for very long so I like stuff to be easily un installed ha!
rsvette12 (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 08:55 PM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

rsvette12 (08-25-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 09:23 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 65fastback

yeah ah that’s a cool place to put it, I tend to be lazy .... mostly because I don’t keep cars for very long so I like stuff to be easily un installed ha!
Thanks for pic haven't made my decision yet - where to put it - need to get it in first lol - got e-mail from installer co owner he said maybe he can get me in this Friday - hope so be nice to get it done

May put it kind of where you have it but in front of seat on the side down lower so I dont have to see it that would bug me seeing it where you have it

Last edited by rsvette12; 08-21-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:52 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Installation tomorrow morning at 9:30am - shops top installer will be doing it - heard hes really good - so get some pics
Old 08-24-2018, 07:46 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Well installer did amazing job very meticulous - he was trained in a school in Arizona not just self taught - kind of ocd about his work

He was not impressed with bass speakers - in-fact could not turn up amp very much - he wants to build a 10" sub box with a DDAudio sub speaker so he can actually use the power

He also wants to add Audison processor to tune all the speakers and fix up the environment in the doors - as for Bose speakers he mentioned they may be fine by adding Audison processor - more to come at some point

Presently its way better now than it was thats for sure - well worth the $600 so far - labor excluded

Have not positioned bass controller yet and mounted speakers as they are temporary probably just velcro for now until I get a permanent box built

Picture of components was not finished stage as I had to leave for a bit when I got back it was all ready done - total time was 10:am to 3:00pm to do install

Components used so far:
LC2i Controller
Gladen RC 600C1 Amp

Last edited by rsvette12; 08-24-2018 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-25-2018, 12:49 PM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

Really clean install there! That amp is tiny i like that. Yeah... I am sure it sounds better even if those down firing boxes are less than ideal. His ideas are great but will get pretty expensive really quick!

I ended up going back to the Bazooka bass tube i originally have been using for years. Now that ive had this installed for a couple weeks I am not going to go any further, ive got it sounding pretty good to my ears at this point.
rsvette12 (08-25-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 01:27 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Update - found a spot for bass controller works well for instant access

I had to turn up amp and I have speakers shooting up instead of shooting down - huge difference - sounds awesome - any one questioning these bass speakers for the money they rock - I put in a high end hertz 10" box and these blew it away

Sometimes spending more doesnt mean you are going to be happier - these are great sounding boxes for the money - plenty of clean bass - not that low boomy sound - just right to compliment the Bose speakers at the moment

Future upgrade at some point will be a Audison ten bit processor - an amp for all the Bose speakers but change out door speakers - rest are fine

All in all really sounds great now - huge difference cant imagine the next update at some point

online photo hosting

upload image no signup

Last edited by rsvette12; 08-25-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:28 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Really clean install there! That amp is tiny i like that. Yeah... I am sure it sounds better even if those down firing boxes are less than ideal. His ideas are great but will get pretty expensive really quick!

I ended up going back to the Bazooka bass tube i originally have been using for years. Now that ive had this installed for a couple weeks I am not going to go any further, ive got it sounding pretty good to my ears at this point.
Thanks Buddy - pretty happy camper now - well worth the investment so far - car audio has come a long way - I was way out of touch

I screwed boxes to each other they dont move at all - no need to go crazy on bolting them down

Last edited by rsvette12; 08-25-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:12 PM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

Okay fellas...finally an update on my end. I'm gonna need help from you fine gentlemen.

I'm actually pretty bummed. BUT, I think it all may have to do with what the installer did. I have the Rockford Fosgate preloaded 10" 300w sub..PS300 I think?

Anyway, the Best Buy installer disconnected the factory sub and the noise canceling. I hadn't fully played with the gain and crossover on the amp...but, I feel like I'm missing some mid level bass. I turned the crossover all the way up to 200...still feels like I'm missing something. Engine was off when I was initially toying with it.

THEN

When I'm driving, as the engine speed spools down...say I'm in 3rd and slowing to around 15, the engine noise gets pretty low but NOW that sound is being amplified by the sub. So bizarre. When I turn the bass volume **** all the way off, the car sounds normal.

I'm so bummed.

No point in trying to tweak the crossover now since the radio is amplifying my engine noise.

I was gonna have him reconnect EVERYTHING and keep the sub hooked up. Try that.

Any other suggestions? It'll probably be a few weeks before I'll get an appointment AND have time.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:14 PM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

And as time goes on over the next couple weeks, I just may go with doing something similar to what you did rsvette. But, I may go with the Pioneer 12". I had it before and loved the sound in my '11 Grand Cherokee. Was thinking of Fosgate R500-1D amp for it again. I'll take your input on that as well if I go that route. I'd put the existing sub in the trunk of my daughter's car. LOL.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:20 PM
JMII
Safety Car

When I'm driving, as the engine speed spools down...say I'm in 3rd and slowing to around 15, the engine noise gets pretty low but NOW that sound is being amplified by the sub. So bizarre. When I turn the bass volume **** all the way off, the car sounds normal.
Is Auto Volume feature on the radio turned off? Also keep in mind the BOSE system applies its own EQ which I've noticed even with stock system messes with the bass level constantly, IE as volume changes the amount of bass varies.

If possible swap the phase on your subs, you might be getting some cancellation between the subwoofer and your midbass speakers. This is pretty common in car audio systems due the small space.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:22 PM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

I was definitely gonna change the phase. But the engine noise being multiplied through the sub leads me to believe he has to reconnect the noise cancel feature.

Get notified of new replies

To What sub enclosure do you use?

Old 09-04-2018, 12:34 PM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

Sounds like he didn’t disconnect a noise canceling ... he probably disconnected the wrong pins from the plug..... when I did my install I didn’t disconnect the noise canceling mic And it sounded identical to what you described .

so I pulled the plug and pull the two pins and it sounded fine .... no low hum motor noise
Old 09-04-2018, 12:41 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Sounds like he didn’t disconnect a noise canceling
Sure does. An easy way to check is listen with the engine on (and reving) vs off.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:08 PM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

hmmmm...

I hope it'll be that simple. What about the factory sub being disconnected. Is that necessary?

Quick Reply: What sub enclosure do you use?