Sponsored by:

Brake Shudder - Warped Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 01:38 PM
ericstanley
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Brake Shudder - Warped Rotors?

About 7500 or so miles in, I had to take my 17 GS into the dealer. Under light brake pressure, the car would shudder like the rotors were warped. Sure enough, the fronts were warped and they replaced them under warranty. The shudder was never really gone, but it was barely noticeable. It got worse over time, and several thousand miles I took it in again and this time they replace the rears. They say that the rear rotors were warped this time, but the fronts look fine. The next day we stared a 1700 mile road trip and we didn't even get an hour on the road and it started again - only worse than ever before. We weren't about to cancel the trip, so off we went. So after our trip I brought it back to the dealer again, where it currently sits. They said that they're replacing all 4 rotors this time - but can't guarantee me that this will solve the problem.

I do not track the car. It's my daily driver. About 70 or so miles per day. I can't imagine what I would be doing to cause warped rotors.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Old 07-31-2018, 01:54 PM
SoFloVette
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 65 Posts

I had warped rotors on my Camaro SS. I was told that my front brake pads were bad and were not making even contact with the rotors causing them to warp. I did have the rotors and pads replaced and never had the problem again. But I did upgrade the pads from stock.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:58 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

I think your second sentence is a clue, "under light brake pressure". I really don't believe you have "warped rotors". To do so would require numerous very hard brakings to get rotors to such a high temp. I don't recall any road course track people ever posting this problem & if anyone should have this, it would be them. If your GS has Z07 pkg. w/ceramic pads/rotors, it most likely that you failed to follow owner manual "bedding procedures". Even regular brakes benefit from bedding them in. This is to transfer pad coating to the rotor to provide a better "bite" & have an even coating. If the pad transfer coating is uneven, then whenever you come to a stop, the pads ride over these "lumps" of material causing a very noticeable pulsation. The build-up continues because the pads are only making contact on the material high spots making shudder worse. Many posts on here recommending to use the brakes harder not easy when stopping. I have been on brake/rotor websites shopping for pads/rotors & almost all say rotors don't warp, it is improper bedding & too gentle of use of brakes. JMO-not saying what you did or didn't do concerning brakes because you didn't state if you performed OM brake "break in procedures".

Last edited by madrob2020; 07-31-2018 at 02:04 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by madrob2020:
dsword (08-03-2018), speedlink (06-11-2019), Zaphod B (06-11-2019)
Old 07-31-2018, 02:00 PM
changw1
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Does the vibration happen only during braking? I have three bent wheels on my 2017 GS which causes vibration but that is continuous regardless of braking.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:02 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by ericstanley
About 7500 or so miles in, I had to take my 17 GS into the dealer. Under light brake pressure, the car would shudder like the rotors were warped. Sure enough, the fronts were warped and they replaced them under warranty. The shudder was never really gone, but it was barely noticeable. It got worse over time, and several thousand miles I took it in again and this time they replace the rears. They say that the rear rotors were warped this time, but the fronts look fine. The next day we stared a 1700 mile road trip and we didn't even get an hour on the road and it started again - only worse than ever before. We weren't about to cancel the trip, so off we went. So after our trip I brought it back to the dealer again, where it currently sits. They said that they're replacing all 4 rotors this time - but can't guarantee me that this will solve the problem.

I do not track the car. It's my daily driver. About 70 or so miles per day. I can't imagine what I would be doing to cause warped rotors.

The mistake you are making is you aren't using the brakes properly. By the way rotors don't warp. Read this article:
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths . I tell people that use their brakes easily they should cut their stopping distance in half instead of dragging the brakes over a longer distance don't apply them right away and then apply them harder to bring the car to a stop at the same point. That way they increase the chance the pad transfer layer stays in place and reduce the chance of developing uneven spots on the rotors. Doing that doesn't bring you any where near close to using the brakes as hard as they would be used on a track. You purchased a sports car that has a brake system that can stand up to medium level track duty Vs the totally street level system you would get on a grocery getter. Using them like the ones on a grocery getter causes problems. Try to use a grocery getters brakes in a way the Corvette's brakes are designed to be used would result in a lack of brakes after a couple of applications of the pedal due to pad fade and maybe boiled brake fluid.

Bill
The following 5 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
dsword (08-03-2018), malexand123 (01-18-2019), roadbike56 (01-18-2019), rrsperry (08-01-2018), The Ur Quan (08-15-2022)
Old 07-31-2018, 02:05 PM
ericstanley
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by madrob2020
I really don't believe you have "warped rotors". To do so would require numerous very hard brakings to get rotors to such a high temp. I don't recall any road course track people ever posting this problem & if anyone should have this, it would be them. If your GS has Z07 pkg. w/ceramic pads/rotors, it most likely that you failed to follow owner manual "bedding procedures". Even regular brakes benefit from bedding them in. This is to transfer pad coating to the rotor to provide a better "bite" & have an even coating. If the pad transfer coating is uneven, then whenever you come to a stop, the pads ride over these "lumps" of material causing a very noticeable pulsation. Many posts on here recommending to use the brakes harder not easy when stopping. I have been on brake/rotor websites shopping for pads/rotors & almost all say rotors don't warp, it is improper bedding & too gentle of use of brakes. JMO-not saying what you did or didn't do concerning brakes because you didn't state if you performed OM brake "break in procedures".
Not Z07 package.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:22 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

The brakes are built for track duty. Under light braking they will feel warped due to uneven brake pad material on the rotor. They need a few laps on your local track to start working correctly. I had the same issue until I could start getting track time. Hard to get them working right just braking hard on the road, but possible.

Last edited by djnice; 07-31-2018 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:49 PM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

As Rob, Bill, and Djnice said, you’re probably taking it too easy on the brakes.
Might try going out to an isolated safe area where you can get your speed up then break hard to see if you can smooth those puppies out.
May work for you, and I don’t think there’s any harm in trying. Jmo

Last edited by L8ter; 07-31-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:56 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Not Z07 package.
In the great scheme of things, doesn't matter. I only brought it up because it is a MUCH LONGER process to bed the ceramic pads/rotors. But, as I & others have stated ALL pads/rotors benefit from the bedding (on our cars). I believe you'll find the explanation & instructions in your OM. The rotors can probably be cleaned up with abrasive grit sandpaper to even out deposits on both sides, then start using them HARD on occasion. Good luck!
Old 07-31-2018, 05:02 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

How often do you wash the car, then park it? Is this a daily driver?
Old 07-31-2018, 09:49 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,188 Likes on 3,440 Posts

Some rotors can be warped via incorrect lug-nut tightening (don' t know about the GS's). High temps are not necessary in such instances.
The following users liked this post:
Rayland (01-18-2019)
Old 07-31-2018, 10:43 PM
Blade Silver Fox
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New to forum. Had same issue with my 17 GS. Issue showed up around 6500 miles. Tried hard braking with no success. No tire work or tracking. Did some research and found this site: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...tes/brakes/12/. I felt my issue was same as #16-NA-170. Made a copy and took to serving dealer. Rotors replaced and no issues since.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:45 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Good point. Sounds like there has been an issue with some C7 rotors.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:35 PM
ericstanley
Burning Brakes

I'll post a picture of the service report later. They tested all 4 rotors and the front 2 were out of spec for lateral run-out. They may have been incorrect from the manufacturer.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:47 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,969 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Did you replace your brake pads? If you didn’t seat them properly that might be part of it. Just a thought
Old 08-03-2018, 06:37 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,145 Likes on 999 Posts

I find the article two people refer to regarding "rotors never warp" to be fascinating. I followed the link and read most of the article and am now thoroughly confused. The author states rotors don't warp and all that he has inspected, both race and street machines, the problem was actually elsewhere.

In the late nineties GM had a terrible problem with what they considered "warped rotors". This was a particularly severe problem with Cadillac and I had personal experience replacing hundreds of rotors under warranty. GM sure thought the problem was warped rotors as they spent millions of warranty dollars nationally on the problem over several years. I checked at the time with other competing dealerships of different brands and many of them also had a problem and they also thought the problem was warped rotors.

GM was convinced at the time that dealers were causing a part of the problem by not properly torquing the wheels. Many dealers were convinced GM had lightened the rotor too much to reduce weight. I sure would have enjoyed that confrontation when this guy and the different manufacturers got together. He states it doesn't exist and they were out spending millions under warranty after they recalled the old parts and agreed they were warped.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:32 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Jallen4, I think a lot of this is using the term "warped rotors" as a generalization for basically any rotor out of true, whether from excessive runout, wheel lugs not properly torqued, to pad buildup on surface versus "warped rotors" from excessive heat which as was on numerous sites, we never get to that point on modern properly made rotors with high grade steel & heat treated. Rotors wear & eventually get too thin, out of specs, which then they could be over-heated. Rotors must be mounted/torqued properly or they are out of round when mounted & the pads intermittently contact the rotor causing this pulsation.

Last edited by madrob2020; 08-03-2018 at 07:35 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Shudder - Warped Rotors?

Old 08-03-2018, 08:03 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

There's nothing unusual about rotors causing a brake pulsation. Either from lateral runout or from thickness variation the cure is the same. Replace the rotors.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:13 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by Avanti
Some rotors can be warped via incorrect lug-nut tightening (don' t know about the GS's). High temps are not necessary in such instances.
I believe that used to be true back in the day when the rotors contained the wheel bearings where tightening the lug nuts would pull on the rotor. However, the Corvette rotors are clamped between the wheel and the hub. They don't warp from being clamped too much.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
roadbike56 (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 12:29 AM
celty
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello.

I also seem to have gotten this problem just recently. I daily drive my 2019 GS and never had this problem until it started raining a lot in California. Can cold weather/rain somehow cause this or affect it at all? The car is new with only 3500 miles on it so am not sure on what to do yet.

Quick Reply: Brake Shudder - Warped Rotors?