Sponsored by:

Driving A8 in M

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 12:48 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by Italianfox
I agree. It's funny when i want to pass by someone or when getting on the highway i usually pop it back to A and stomp on it. Thats about the only time I'm in A.
You know if you hold the left paddle for 2 seconds it will downshift to the lowest safe gear and let you do the same thing while keeping manual mode on.
The following users liked this post:
Vegas1500 (09-13-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 02:30 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
I presume you are in a Stingray. I believe they discontinued A8s for Z06s in the summer due to overheating concern.
Source? Z06 with A8 are being ordered everyday. My source? chevrolet.com

Old 08-01-2018, 02:49 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

I presume you are in a Stingray. I believe they discontinued A8s for Z06s in the summer due to overheating concern. BTW, the answer to your question will be "no, please leave it in M and short shift about 5500 rpm, so we don't have overheating issues."

And to see why before you ask go to your manual and see the steps necessary to get the A8 in PAS (not PAL) and do some spirited driving. The rpms it will hold while in A and PAS are unreal. Very racy but very heat producing.
wait... what? This is the first I'm hearing of this. I don't think that this is true at all.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:54 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

I think you guys are misunderstanding Perry. I think he's saying that Spring Mountain is discontinuing the use of Z06s on their track with the A8 in the hot summer months so that they don't have to deal with overheating issues, not that GM has stopped production of them.
ImpliedConsent (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 05:52 PM
vettenevodrvr
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

I presume you are in a Stingray. I believe they discontinued A8s for Z06s in the summer due to overheating concern. BTW, the answer to your question will be "no, please leave it in M and short shift about 5500 rpm, so we don't have overheating issues."

And to see why before you ask go to your manual and see the steps necessary to get the A8 in PAS (not PAL) and do some spirited driving. The rpms it will hold while in A and PAS are unreal. Very racy but very heat producing.
I just completed COS. Still using Z06 A8s. It was 117 both days. Instructor managed to overheat one during a ride along, otherwise there weren’t any issues while students were driving. As mentioned, everyone shifted at 5500. Heck, my M7 was dinging at me the end of the second day!

Last edited by vettenevodrvr; 08-01-2018 at 05:53 PM.
pkincy (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 06:09 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Can you imagine running a race there in a car without AC and with a nomex suit, head sock, and gloves on at that temperature. Talk about a need to hydrate! Gotta love running in the heat in shorts/tee shirt and with the AC on.
vettenevodrvr (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 06:25 PM
vettenevodrvr
Burning Brakes

Can you imagine running a race there in a car without AC and with a nomex suit, head sock, and gloves on at that temperature. Talk about a need to hydrate! Gotta love running in the heat in shorts/tee shirt and with the AC on.
That would be brutal. Even with AC, the back of my tshirt was still soaking wet after each session.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:44 PM
Skidplate
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 122 Posts

Actually just the opposite. Using M allows you to short shift which keeps the A8 cooler while on the track. SM runs in Performance Track 2 and that would engage PAS on the A8 which keeps the rpm way too high for the current Z06's cooling capability.
In Oct '15, I was in the first group to drive the C7 A8 at Spring Mountain for the 2 day class that GM partially sponsors.
We were firmly instructed to drive in M mode during class sessions with the instructors calling out the gear changes during the early runs.
I'm not sure that rule still applies today.

Last edited by Skidplate; 08-01-2018 at 06:46 PM.
vettenevodrvr (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 07:02 PM
vettenevodrvr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Skidplate
In Oct '15, I was in the first group to drive the C7 A8 at Spring Mountain for the 2 day class that GM partially sponsors.
We were firmly instructed to drive in M mode during class sessions with the instructors calling out the gear changes during the early runs.
I'm not sure that rule still applies today.
Still true.
The following 2 users liked this post by vettenevodrvr:
Bigfoot16 (08-01-2018), Skidplate (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 09:38 PM
Bigfoot16
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenevodrvr

I just completed COS. Still using Z06 A8s. It was 117 both days. Instructor managed to overheat one during a ride along, otherwise there weren’t any issues while students were driving. As mentioned, everyone shifted at 5500. Heck, my M7 was dinging at me the end of the second day!
I just finished the course yesterday. I was in a group with 2 ZO6's, I was in a GS. Both had issues with overheating, one worse than the other and losing power. The other one just had his A/C shutting down.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:42 AM
proeagles
Melting Slicks

Received 2,157 Likes on 897 Posts

I just came back from the COS at Spring Mountain, and not to keep beating this already dead horse but as promised I asked the instructors at Ron Fellows why they recommend shifting the A8 manually. It has nothing to do with over heating or wearing out the transmission or any of the other "issues" involved with the debate over whether auto or manual mode is easier on the transmission. It is all about control of the car and keeping it in the right gear at the right time. If left in the auto mode it could shift too early or mid corner and upset the car. It was built and sold as a performance A8, just drive it anyway you want.
grandsport2017 (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 01:37 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

I have the highest regard for the COS instructors but that answer is simply not true if you know how the A8 is programmed in the Corvette. Take a look at page 197 of your owners manual. At least on the 2016 manual and read the information about Performance Algorithm Liftfoot (PAL) and Performance Algorithm Shift. PAL is engaged in S and PAS in Track. As you run in Perf Track 2 at COS the A8 would be operating in PAS. You should try it sometime. I did not at COS as we were instructed to paddle shift and short shift at 5500. But just for stuff and grins I did get on a fun road and put the car in track and activated PAS once. Lordy, does it wind the motor. Kinda like GM wanted to think it had a Ferrari or Maserati engine buzzing up front. Very high revs all the time. High, near 6500 shift points with never being below 5800 whether you had just shifted or were decelerating and braking for a corner. The temps would go up very quickly and that is why you can't run an A8 on track in D. PAS or PAL takes over unless you run in Tour.

I would encourage everyone to try PAS once just to see how it operates. Now the manual simply states that PAS is on in Tr and in D. I really don't know if that is true. Someone had posted a thread on here on how to get in PAS which is when I tried it. Likely that is just patting your head while rubbing your tummy and twisting and pressing on the round **** 3 times while stating the Lord's Prayer. And all those instructions may simply have been what it took to get in Perf Trac 2 or 3 or 4. But after following the instructions, the A8 programming was a beast with high rpm holds. And clearly you would see why a combination of Perf Trac 2 (which you run at COS) coupled with the A8 in Drive is a non starter for both the health of their A8s and the heat build up on their cars particularly in the hot desert.

I have a friend with an ATS-V with an A8. Although that manual doesn't talk about PAL or PAS anywhere, when he runs in Track mode (he is an instructor in the Audi Club in the Pac NW) the car quite obviously has the PAS programming also. But in the ATS-V there is enough cooling that he can run in that mode without overheating either the engine or transmission. His normal instructor car is the caged 98 1LE with a 402 LS2 and T56 I sold him, but as that car does have some foibles he will occasionally instruct in the ATS-V. His take on that is that it is amazing to be able to concentrate on the accelerator and the brake and never having to think about what gear you should be in as the A8 is always right where you want it to be. We have that same programming but can't use it due to lack of cooling.

Last edited by pkincy; 09-11-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:49 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I have the highest regard for the COS instructors but that answer is simply not true if you know how the A8 is programmed in the Corvette. Take a look at page 197 of your owners manual. At least on the 2016 manual and read the information about Performance Algorithm Liftfoot (PAL) and Performance Algorithm Shift. PAL is engaged in S and PAS in Track. As you run in Perf Track 2 at COS the A8 would be operating in PAS. You should try it sometime. I did not at COS as we were instructed to paddle shift and short shift at 5500. But just for stuff and grins I did get on a fun road and put the car in track and activated PAS once. Lordy, does it wind the motor. Kinda like GM wanted to think it had a Ferrari or Maserati engine buzzing up front. Very high revs all the time. High, near 6500 shift points with never being below 5800 whether you had just shifted or were decelerating and braking for a corner. The temps would go up very quickly and that is why you can't run an A8 on track in D. PAS or PAL takes over unless you run in Tour.

I would encourage everyone to try PAS once just to see how it operates. Now the manual simply states that PAS is on in Tr and in D. I really don't know if that is true. Someone had posted a thread on here on how to get in PAS which is when I tried it. Likely that is just patting your head while rubbing your tummy and twisting and pressing on the round **** 3 times while stating the Lord's Prayer. And all those instructions may simply have been what it took to get in Perf Trac 2 or 3 or 4. But after following the instructions, the A8 programming was a beast with high rpm holds. And clearly you would see why a combination of Perf Trac 2 (which you run at COS) coupled with the A8 in Drive is a non starter for both the health of their A8s and the heat build up on their cars particularly in the hot desert.
Not sure what you mean by Perf Trac 2. After selecting Track Mode and pushing the center button twice the display only shows Wet, Dry, Sport1, Sport2 and Race.

Bill
Old 09-11-2018, 01:51 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

The manual calls Track Mode, Dry; Perf Trac 2. Literally in that truncated spelling.

PS: I download the manuals on my cars to a pdf that I read with Adobe Acrobat on the computer. The biggest advantage with that is Adobe has a great "Find" function that will quickly search the whole document for a word or group of words.

Last edited by pkincy; 09-11-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:08 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by proeagles
I just came back from the COS at Spring Mountain, and not to keep beating this already dead horse but as promised I asked the instructors at Ron Fellows why they recommend shifting the A8 manually. It has nothing to do with over heating or wearing out the transmission or any of the other "issues" involved with the debate over whether auto or manual mode is easier on the transmission. It is all about control of the car and keeping it in the right gear at the right time. If left in the auto mode it could shift too early or mid corner and upset the car. It was built and sold as a performance A8, just drive it anyway you want.
I agree this is an issue. At the NCM VIR HPDE I had a student with an A8 GS. The student didn't want to manually shift the transmission and it was always shifting at the wrong time. Try to roll onto the throttle coming off the apex of a turn and it would suddenly downshift causing too much acceleration which the student reacted to by lifting off the throttle. This lifting off the throttle did as much to unsettle the car as the unexpected downshift. I really wanted the student to put the transmission in M mode and choose a gear like 5th which I think is similar to 4th gear in an M7 (1:1). Any Z06 has great throttle response from 1000 rpm on up so you don't have to worry about lugging the engine, if you are worried about lugging the engine you aren't going Wide Open soon enough or long enough. Personally, I have an M7 Z and it requires very little to no shifting to run around a track like VIR and run laps in the 2:06 to 2:07 range. It is much easier for somebody to learn how to drive on a track if the transmission isn't changing what they are trying to do every time they start to roll onto the throttle or off the throttle. That is a very good reason why automatic mode is discouraged at Spring Mountain. I can't imagine how the section of the track that is set up to demonstrate trailing throttle steering would work if the driver is in Auto Mode and the transmission basically goes to neutral when the driver is instructed to lift off the throttle to get some turn in to bring the car into the cone on the right after the dip. The dip lightens the front end of the car so the steering is less effective and letting off the throttle a little moves weight to the front wheels by using compression braking thus getting the car to turn toward the cone before moving back to full throttle.

Bill
Old 09-11-2018, 03:27 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

GM has an easy path to fix this. Simply reprogram the A8 in PAL and PAS into a less aggressive program so that it short shifts a bit and doesn't hold rpm quite as high. Would cost next to nothing and we could pay $250-350 like with the MRC reprogram. They should easily be able to get us a program that would work up to 90 deg or so. Assuming that PAS won't work at over 80 degrees with a competent driver due to heat build up.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:41 PM
proeagles
Melting Slicks

Received 2,157 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I agree this is an issue. At the NCM VIR HPDE I had a student with an A8 GS. The student didn't want to manually shift the transmission and it was always shifting at the wrong time. Try to roll onto the throttle coming off the apex of a turn and it would suddenly downshift causing too much acceleration which the student reacted to by lifting off the throttle. This lifting off the throttle did as much to unsettle the car as the unexpected downshift. I really wanted the student to put the transmission in M mode and choose a gear like 5th which I think is similar to 4th gear in an M7 (1:1). Any Z06 has great throttle response from 1000 rpm on up so you don't have to worry about lugging the engine, if you are worried about lugging the engine you aren't going Wide Open soon enough or long enough. Personally, I have an M7 Z and it requires very little to no shifting to run around a track like VIR and run laps in the 2:06 to 2:07 range. It is much easier for somebody to learn how to drive on a track if the transmission isn't changing what they are trying to do every time they start to roll onto the throttle or off the throttle. That is a very good reason why automatic mode is discouraged at Spring Mountain. I can't imagine how the section of the track that is set up to demonstrate trailing throttle steering would work if the driver is in Auto Mode and the transmission basically goes to neutral when the driver is instructed to lift off the throttle to get some turn in to bring the car into the cone on the right after the dip. The dip lightens the front end of the car so the steering is less effective and letting off the throttle a little moves weight to the front wheels by using compression braking thus getting the car to turn toward the cone before moving back to full throttle.

Bill
This is exactly what I was talking about and their point at the school.

Get notified of new replies

To Driving A8 in M

Old 09-11-2018, 11:18 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by fumbling
I have an M7 and have never been in an A8, how do you put it in M mode, do you push the gear selector to the left and then use the paddles, and to go back to Auto mode you push the gear selector back to the right?
Manual mode is one notch below (behind?) auto. That is, pull the gear selector all the way back. You get an "M" display in the IP to confirm you're in that mode, and then use the paddles. I believe it's set up so that you can't over rev as would be possible if shifting a manual into too low a gear at high speed. Description is on page 191 of my (2017) owners manual, but it's not terribly informative.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:45 AM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Personally, I have an M7 Z and it requires very little to no shifting to run around a track like VIR and run laps in the 2:06 to 2:07 range.Bill
I have seen videos of guys on track with an M7 and I was surprised at how little shifting they were doing. I watch too much F1.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:30 AM
breakskeet
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by proeagles
It's an automatic designed to operate in automatic mode. I believe the converse is true, if you are constantly driving in a manual mode, you are doing more to hurt the trans by keeping the pressures up. The trans never relaxes IMO. Let's agree to disagree.
Callaway recommends an A8 with their package be driven in manual mode all the time.

​​​​​​Driving Tip – Callaway Corvette with 6 Speed paddle shift transmission
Owners of automatic transmission equipped Callaway Corvettes should implement this technique as a standard part of their driving routine.
Perhaps you’ve discovered this already, but if not, try this the next time you drive your car:
Put the car into paddle shift mode.
To do this, simply select “S” on the gearshift and initiate one paddle shift event at the beginning of every drive cycle.
This forces the gearbox to remain in the selected gear even when full throttle is used.
As the primary driver, you probably already know that a sudden full-throttle application, while in the full automatic mode, will incur a downshift, and sometimes a ‘double downshift’. This results in too much power and an unpleasant drive. Putting the car into paddle shift mode prevents the downshift altogether.
It’s better to have the car stay in the selected gear, and use the boost from the supercharger to feed in the power with your throttle foot, as you wish; not as the gearbox wishes.
All potential drivers of the car should also be informed: especially the driver new to the car.

Last edited by breakskeet; 09-12-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Carvin (09-12-2018)

Quick Reply: Driving A8 in M