GS vs GT350 Shelby

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 03:18 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by red62vette
I set my exhaust to Track and think it sounds great. If it's too loud for my wife, I dial it down to Tour or Stealth. I'm happy with the sound.
I agree that the exhaust sounds great on a C7, no doubt. And I do like the option of dialing it down when desired. For example, last week, my wife and I went to Paradise at Mt. Rainier National Park and I used the quiet mode while driving around there. It just seemed the right thing to do in a National Park.

But the exhaust sound from a Mustang V8 is really something on a different level of goodness.

Last edited by ExRedRacer; 08-02-2018 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:11 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

I Googled "Mustang GT350 Oil Consumption." Holy S. I know every car has its problems, but Ford saying that 1 quart/500 miles is acceptable is nonsense.
That right there is enough to stop me from considering the car...simply NOT acceptable.

Last edited by sunsalem; 08-02-2018 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:32 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Received 976 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by mammoth713
I have driven both.. My take:

Mustang GT350
Pros
  • Motor/exhaust were pure heaven, VERY fun on the street. Only motor that comes close to that sort of wild bark is a c7z.
Cons
  • Motor oil consumption issues
  • No HUD (the car really felt like it should have had it, it's 2018)
  • Parking brake in worst spot possible (this applies to all newer gen mustangs tho). It's right under your right arm when driving.. so dumb
  • Car felt heavy while driving.. didnt feel as nimble as c7
  • Some back bumper fitments arent very good.. kind of hit or miss on the particular car
  • The cloth recaros are difficult to get in and out of the car cuz the high edge on the bottom of the seat. The leather seat package is very difficult to find on a car for sale.
C7GS
Pros
  • Proven design with great performance and reliability. The track performance #'s punch way above this car's price point
  • Definitely drives like the car feels lighter than the GT350; I could really feel the lower center of gravity in the c7 platform
  • I love the HUD hockey stick design and gauge cluster hockey stick design setting.
  • Easy entry/exit seat setting. I'm 5'6", so it's nice to have the seat move for me to get in easier. Usually need the seat pretty far forward to push in clutch all the way.
  • The front cameras are AWESOME and very practical. Wish all sports cars had them
  • PDR is pretty cool
  • Removable roof
Cons
  • Seems too tame on the street.
  • Lots of people bending stock rims, which is a shame because I like how the stock rims look.
  • The paint issues @ bumper edges.
The car I liked more right off showroom floor:
Mustang GT350

The car I would actually buy:
C7z

You know, I am fine with the c7gs speed/acceleration for the street but it's lacking the WILD X factor for me personally.. Felt too tame..Maybe if the c7gs had an aftermarket axle back exhaust on it, it would change my impression tho. If I could find an axle back exhaust that would get close to that wild c7z bark exhaust that the c7z has under WOT, I would be fine with the c7gs. But that's probably impossible to get the c7gs to sound like a c7z @ WOT.. probably has to do with the supercharger and higher overall power.. So I'll personally probably end up buying a used c7z in a few years.

Obviously the c7gs is faster than the GT350 on a track but in reality, who cares? What car is more fun to drive on the street? I think that's the question people should care about more; people pay too close attention to track times. So for me personally.. it was more of a trade of c7z vs GT350 (as odd as that might sound).Even though I think the GT350 is the more fun/$ street car, I'm gunna pass on the GT350. You know why? Go take a look @ their forums. Engine problems galore. That reason alone scares me from buying one. 1quart oil/500mi is not acceptable to me, which apparently ford thinks it is.

With all that said, I vote C7gs + aftermarket axleback exhaust or C7z.
**UNLESS you want to buy a GT350 and run the risk of dealing with motor issues. (which is a shame, really)
What you’re calling “tame” in reality is composure. The chassis is far superior than the power from the LT1. Adding NA power is a no brainer. Or go full blown Katech 427.
BTW in every stat the Grand Sport is Superior to the Shelby Gt350”R” let alone the non-R.

The following users liked this post:
pdiddy972 (08-15-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 10:42 PM
ALMS21
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaylars
Especially this one: Which slides the GT350 to the back of the pack when comparing Automobils.

That car does nothing for me aesthetically. I know they are fantastic cars as I've owned 2 911 Turbos (996 and 997 variants) and a 987 CaymanS and 981 Boxster S. The 911's are extremely overpriced and like someone else on here has said, they aren't the marvel that many make them out to be. I found the 981 to be the best one I've owned and it was the cheapest and least powerful.

Last edited by ALMS21; 08-02-2018 at 10:45 PM.
sunsalem (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 01:33 AM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by 2cnd Chance

What you’re calling “tame” in reality is composure.

Well... maybe related to composure, but not entirely. I guess what I mean is the c5z, c6z, c7z, gen V viper visceral driving experience.. Loud, nimble, and having a feeling that the car is obviously way overkill for street. Whereas, I felt 100% comfortable flooring the GS at all times. Not so much so w/ the c5z/c6z/c7z...

I guess I felt too "safe" and uneventful flooring the c7gs on street if that makes sense

Originally Posted by 2cnd Chance

The chassis is far superior than the power from the LT1. Adding NA power is a no brainer. Or go full blown Katech 427.
BTW in every stat the Grand Sport is Superior to the Shelby Gt350”R” let alone the non-R.

I'm aware.. that's why I said the real question people should consider is "what car is most fun to drive on the street?"

Also for me personally living in LA, I don't want to deal with modifying my car motors and dealing with smog etc... Even if I didnt live in LA tho, I like just buying a faster car and keeping it stock drivetrain rather than buying a slower car and sinking cash in it. I usually only will do aftermarket catback or suspension parts on my cars.

At the end of the day.. track times dont matter. What car makes you have the most fun? Almost all these new sports cars coming out are fast

Last edited by mammoth713; 08-03-2018 at 01:41 AM.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:25 AM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by arm
I did have all three!
How do they compare with your 911?
Old 08-03-2018, 07:49 AM
arm
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Hunter
How do they compare with your 911?
Contrary to what others have said about the P cars- I found they are the "complete real deal"- yes there are over priced. The mustang is rough around the edges- maybe that is what appealed to me. What bothers me re vets is to get in and out- sooo low to ground- my wife would say we are riding in a go cart.
I just ordered a 19 P 911 GTS- and still considering adding a vet conv or GT350. Issue is the are both hard cars to move used and at big depreciation- I do care about resale as insane as it may seem. There are so many of these cars new on dealer lots.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:47 PM
Vette_Pilot
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts

They both ride the same at 80 mph and slower right??
Old 08-03-2018, 02:05 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by ALMS21
That car does nothing for me aesthetically. I know they are fantastic cars ...The 911's are extremely overpriced and like someone else on here has said, they aren't the marvel that many make them out to be. I found the 981 to be the best one I've owned and it was the cheapest and least powerful.
Agree with pretty much all u said

Last edited by Parcival; 08-03-2018 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:38 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Received 976 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by mammoth713

Well... maybe related to composure, but not entirely. I guess what I mean is the c5z, c6z, c7z, gen V viper visceral driving experience.. Loud, nimble, and having a feeling that the car is obviously way overkill for street. Whereas, I felt 100% comfortable flooring the GS at all times. Not so much so w/ the c5z/c6z/c7z...

I guess I felt too "safe" and uneventful flooring the c7gs on street if that makes sense

I'm aware.. that's why I said the real question people should consider is "what car is most fun to drive on the street?"

Also for me personally living in LA, I don't want to deal with modifying my car motors and dealing with smog etc... Even if I didnt live in LA tho, I like just buying a faster car and keeping it stock drivetrain rather than buying a slower car and sinking cash in it. I usually only will do aftermarket catback or suspension parts on my cars.

At the end of the day.. track times dont matter. What car makes you have the most fun? Almost all these new sports cars coming out are fast
Got ya different strokes for...
Raw is too old school. I personally prefer a more stout and refined chassis I will enjoy modifying the engine (keeping it NA). I love a nice lope in the idle. .
Old 08-04-2018, 12:48 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by sTz

My neighbor has a GT350R, which comes from the factory w/resonator deletes (GT350 has resonators). There is not a better sounding OEM exhaust IMO. My Z06 has the Corsa X-pipe and Xtremes, and while it sounds good, it cannot hold a candle to his stock R. There is no denying that Ford hit a homerun with that exhaust note.
I may be in the minority here, but I think the GT350 sounds like crap (can't say that I have heard the R though)...the exhaust sounds like it has a hundred tiny ball bearings rattling around in it when it gets rev'd up. While not a stock setup, I like the exhaust note of the LT1/LT4 engine with headers high flow cats and stock NPP in track mode, so much better. I also think the standard 5.0 GT Mustang sounds better than the GT350. I was hoping for the Furd flat plane crank to sound more like an exotic, but they tried hard to make it still sound like a mustang instead.

Last edited by lakemg; 08-15-2018 at 06:06 PM.
pdiddy972 (08-15-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 01:23 PM
nightroddersp
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sTz

My neighbor has a GT350R, which comes from the factory w/resonator deletes (GT350 has resonators). There is not a better sounding OEM exhaust IMO. My Z06 has the Corsa X-pipe and Xtremes, and while it sounds good, it cannot hold a candle to his stock R. There is no denying that Ford hit a homerun with that exhaust note.
Problem is you will not hear that beautiful exhaust note on the track if you are in front of the R by a couple seconds.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:56 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,422 Likes on 1,597 Posts

^^^ Most don’t track, and you can hear the exhaust from inside the car, so not a problem. With regards to those who track: the better driver will be in front regardless of which one they’re driving as most reported lap times aren’t dramatically different...

Edit: http://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/10c9t4z8mgjd

Last edited by sTz; 08-08-2018 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:07 PM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Received 591 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
The gt350 would leave the Corvette in a race to those speeds. Specially since the GS probably can't even hit 180
The GS and the GT350 are not even close to the same league. The Gt350 has trouble competing with the SS1LE Camaro, the GS blows both of them away in every conceivable performance test.
pdiddy972 (08-15-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 12:15 AM
Yukon Corleone
Burning Brakes

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by New World Matt

I actually just traded in my ‘18 GT350 ( #J0004 ) , Black no stripes , for a new ‘17 Grand Sport , manual , 2LT , Black no stripes , over the weekend . Let me tell you , I’m walking on air . So excited about being back in a GS . ( owned a 2010 - guess what color combo ) for 8 years , traded for the Shelby in January . I bought the GT350 because , yes , it’s an incredible machine and a crazy experience every time I drive . Loud , fast , awesome . It rumbles , barks , and screams and it feels like it’s about to explode at high rpm , and that’s all great ! It’s just that I’m 47 now and I wanted the high tech luxury of the Vette , with it’s low end torque , higher build quality , sophisticaton , lower weight , and all around bad *** looks and sexy styling .
I saw that the dealers now have 17s , 18s , and 19s on the lots at the same time so I decided now was a good time to deal - and that’s exactly what I got ! Super happy !

New World Matt

I have seen both of Matt’s cars and both are great. The GS I seen for the first time tonight and it is out of this world
New World Matt (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 08:39 AM
New World Matt
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Yukon Corleone

I have seen both of Matt’s cars and both are great. The GS I seen for the first time tonight and it is out of this world
Thanks Bill !! ... I was amazed at the public’s response to my new GS - What at great car and a great show last night !
It was cool hanging out with you guys !!

Best,
New World Matt
Yukon Corleone (08-10-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 09:22 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

x2 on most car guys buy based on what looks good and feels right on the street. Who cares about stats? Wouldnt buy the best on the planet if it looked pukey or was boring to drive.

Get notified of new replies

To GS vs GT350 Shelby

Old 08-09-2018, 11:22 AM
oldmantex1
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

All are great cars. My boss said it best as we have a really large sampling of performance cars here at work . He said you don't think about it when that Vette is not in the parking lot, but you sure do notice it when it is.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:32 AM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

I have to agree. I spent some time checking one out and talked to another guy in one at a stop light. The exhaust is sweet.

I just remembered another owner I talked to yesterday. He told me he got a ticket for a "modified exhaust". I've seen that situation rising. Cops seem to be handing out tickets for that at an increasing rate. I wonder how you would prove it was stock when going before a judge to fight the ticket.

Originally Posted by buck fever
Yeah but that GT350 is a very impressive machine. My best friend has a 2017 and on our last group cruise through the winding mountain roads in WV it laid the hammer down! Realistically it’s a great car and I’m a Corvette homer. The sound from that engine/exhaust is amazing.

Last edited by tcinla; 08-09-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:48 AM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

Sounds like Ford finally cracked the code and made a classic italian / german sportscar.

I Googled "Mustang GT350 Oil Consumption." Holy S. I know every car has its problems, but Ford saying that 1 quart/500 miles is acceptable is nonsense.
sunsalem (08-09-2018)

Quick Reply: GS vs GT350 Shelby