Sponsored by:

GS vs GT350 Shelby

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 11:51 AM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

With the Range AFM delete and a zeal for spirited driving, a C7 isn't going to be too far away from the 15 MPG of the GT350.

Originally Posted by R50THC5
...however, 30 mpg for the Vette......15 mpg GT350...my friend has one. Told him you did not buy for mpg LOL
Old 08-09-2018, 12:09 PM
Bfine Blue
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcrider
I have been around one, a lot more than just one.

Compared to a corvette...it's just a Mustang. The two are not comparable IMO.

Mustangs are comparable to Camaro's and Challengers.
Challengers are the only true "Muscle cars" being produced today in the spirit of the 60's muscle car sedan era. Mustangs and camaros are "Pony Cars".

Last edited by Bfine Blue; 08-09-2018 at 12:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
altransam (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 11:09 AM
NVNO1
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't know what Chevy was thinking with C7 gen vette. To me it's absolutely hideous. I swear the only reason Chevy is even able to sell the C7 is that some people just have to have the newest thing on the block and don't care how ugly it is just as long as they can say "I have a new one".
I love the GT350 and 350R. Ford nailed it. Most gorgeous mustangs ever. Every angle looks fantastic. All the right curves in all the right places. I would own one in second. I do wish it was a faster car though. The flat plane motor is cool. Just not enough power especially in the lower rpm range for it's weight. If it was 3100-3200 pounds or had 650ish horse power and torque there would be one sitting in my garage right now.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:12 AM
traind
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by New World Matt

I actually just traded in my ‘18 GT350 ( #J0004 ) , Black no stripes , for a new ‘17 Grand Sport , manual , 2LT , Black no stripes , over the weekend . Let me tell you , I’m walking on air . So excited about being back in a GS . ( owned a 2010 - guess what color combo ) for 8 years , traded for the Shelby in January . I bought the GT350 because , yes , it’s an incredible machine and a crazy experience every time I drive . Loud , fast , awesome . It rumbles , barks , and screams and it feels like it’s about to explode at high rpm , and that’s all great ! It’s just that I’m 47 now and I wanted the high tech luxury of the Vette , with it’s low end torque , higher build quality , sophisticaton , lower weight , and all around bad *** looks and sexy styling .
I saw that the dealers now have 17s , 18s , and 19s on the lots at the same time so I decided now was a good time to deal - and that’s exactly what I got ! Super happy !

New World Matt

Why didn't you buy a GS in the first place? Buying and trading in a car in less than a year.... What caused you to do that?
Old 08-14-2018, 11:17 AM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Received 591 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by NVNO1
I don't know what Chevy was thinking with C7 gen vette. To me it's absolutely hideous. I swear the only reason Chevy is even able to sell the C7 is that some people just have to have the newest thing on the block and don't care how ugly it is just as long as they can say "I have a new one".
I love the GT350 and 350R. Ford nailed it. Most gorgeous mustangs ever. Every angle looks fantastic. All the right curves in all the right places. I would own one in second. I do wish it was a faster car though. The flat plane motor is cool. Just not enough power especially in the lower rpm range for it's weight. If it was 3100-3200 pounds or had 650ish horse power and torque there would be one sitting in my garage right now.
Whew, someone needs to come back down to earth even thinking a Gt350 looks better than a C7
pdiddy972 (08-15-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 11:24 AM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts

I love the GT350 and 350R. Ford nailed it. Most gorgeous mustangs ever. Every angle looks fantastic.
Guess to each his own... This gen of corvette is the first I've really drooled over. I absolutely hate the C6 headlights! Looks like bulbs on a stalk swimming in a fishbowl.

As to the Mustang, it's Ok looking. I liked them more when they first came out and now, the more I look at them (and the more millions I see on the road), they are just eh. Something about the front end from the side reminds me of a moose nose.
​​In my car search, I considered them for a second and quickly decided they weren't for me.

Last edited by Sconn; 08-14-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:35 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

To each his own..."beauty is in the eye", etc. I'd guess you're a trend setter like this guy:
https://nypost.com/video/bunny-man-h...his-obsession/

Having had both, I disagree on looks for sure: C7 was a leap forward, being likened to the Ferr F12 (esp TDF)... the GT350 looks like my '14 Mustang GT and people who buy one often put the trim stuff Walt Kowalski didn't want on his Gran Torino:
Yes, I'm selling my '14 Stanger.

Last edited by Parcival; 08-14-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:52 AM
GS982
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 200 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

I got my 1LZ '16 Z06 for cheaper than I could get a Grand Sport at the time. Z06 is in a total different realm from a GT350 and low option cars can be had new for $70K. I'd much rather have a low option Z over a GS with all bells and whistles. That being said, I had a '14 ZL1 Camaro and the only compliments I got on it came from pimple-faced, teen-aged boys. End of the day, to the vast majority, it was just another Camaro. To the vast majority a GT350 (myself NOT included) is just another Mustang.

Get a 1LZ Z06, throw in the stage 2 aero package for a ready-made Mustang and 911 annihilator. You won't ever have to worry about hearing the awesome sound of the flat plane V8 as it will be well behind you.
nightroddersp (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 11:55 AM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,147 Likes on 877 Posts

They were thinking they didn't want to keep making the same car with dated styling.

They were thinking they might get someone to buy one before they retire.

They were right. I was in the market for my third mustang, and 6th ford, and bought my C7 in my late thirties. I love the styling.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:26 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

Problem solved...do an LS3, LT1, or LT4 in the GT350 and it might actually run good. Flat plane motor is just a novelty in this instance...
pdiddy972 (08-15-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 01:16 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

You're in the VAST minority about the C7 styling hate - I've never owned a car that gets so many looks and complements, it's actually kind of ridiculous - every time I take it out someone goes out of the way to complement it. At stop lights people are constantly staring at it. I've had people taking pictures of it with their phone - I've always loved the styling but I've never taken my phone out to take a pic of a car...

Why did Chevy make the C7? I'm guessing because they wanted to improve on the very nice C6 in every possible way? And they succeeded.

I love the new design of the mustangs, I almost bought a 18 GT, but when the price climbed over 50k, I went with a vette which is better in pretty much every possible way outside of straight line acceleration in some cases.
pdiddy972 (08-15-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 05:04 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

^^^C7 is even better in straight line performance too
pdiddy972 (08-15-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 05:42 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Received 976 Likes on 532 Posts

Default Hideous LOL!

Then why are you in the C7 section??? Dare I say trolling.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:10 PM
altransam
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by red62vette
I Googled "Mustang GT350 Oil Consumption." Holy S. I know every car has its problems, but Ford saying that 1 quart/500 miles is acceptable is nonsense.
My brother bought a 1973 Trans Am Super Duty in the spring of '73 and was wondering about oil consumption; shop manual states 1 quart every 1000 miles was within specs, but 500 miles ? in 2017 ?

Had a 2016 Challenger Scat Pack before the GS, previously owned a 2008 Bullitt Mustang with an E-Force s/c, if I could afford it, I would have the Vette. the Scat Pack and the GT-350 in that order....

Last edited by altransam; 08-14-2018 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:21 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,597 Posts

^^^ Don’t believe everything that you read on a car forum.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:05 PM
NVNO1
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
You're in the VAST minority about the C7 styling hate - I've never owned a car that gets so many looks and complements, it's actually kind of ridiculous - every time I take it out someone goes out of the way to complement it. At stop lights people are constantly staring at it. I've had people taking pictures of it with their phone - I've always loved the styling but I've never taken my phone out to take a pic of a car...

Why did Chevy make the C7? I'm guessing because they wanted to improve on the very nice C6 in every possible way? And they succeeded.

I love the new design of the mustangs, I almost bought a 18 GT, but when the price climbed over 50k, I went with a vette which is better in pretty much every possible way outside of straight line acceleration in some cases.
Vast minority? Not from my experience. Most people I know, car guys and non car guys alike do not like the c7 gen vette period. Of course they are not going to say that to your face especially after you dropped a lot of money on one, but behind your back the truth comes out. I was at a car show this weekend with quite a few c7s present and once again I heard numerous people express their dislike for the c7, sorry. The new ZL1 1LE was very well received however. Pics of your car and drooling ect?? You must live in a small town. Where I live the only cars that turn heads are classics. Vettes, Pcars, Ferraris,GTRs and Lambos are everywhere. No one cares at all. None of these cars turn heads.
No I'm not trolling actually didn't realize I was in the c7 section. Probably the first time I've ever been in here due to the fact the c7 doesn't interest me in the slightest. Saw the pic of the GT350 and jumped in. I love the 350. Had I realized it was the c7 section I wouldn't have jumped in.
Hey it's the internet. This whole thread is all subjective and opinion based. It's my opinion, which means nothing, the c7 gen is a hideous looking car sorry. That said I'm actually happy for you guys that you like your cars. It's a lot of money to spend on a car to not be happy. Different strokes.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:16 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Vast minority? Not from my experience. Most people I know, car guys and non car guys alike do not like the c7 gen vette period. Of course they are not going to say that to your face especially after you dropped a lot of money on one, but behind your back the truth comes out. I was at a car show this weekend with quite a few c7s present and once again I heard numerous people express their dislike for the c7, sorry. The new ZL1 1LE was very well received however. Pics of your car and drooling ect?? You must live in a small town. Where I live the only cars that turn heads are classics. Vettes, Pcars, Ferraris,GTRs and Lambos are everywhere. No one cares at all. None of these cars turn heads.
No I'm not trolling actually didn't realize I was in the c7 section. Probably the first time I've ever been in here due to the fact the c7 doesn't interest me in the slightest. Saw the pic of the GT350 and jumped in. I love the 350. Had I realized it was the c7 section I wouldn't have jumped in.
Hey it's the internet. This whole thread is all subjective and opinion based. It's my opinion, which means nothing, the c7 gen is a hideous looking car sorry. That said I'm actually happy for you guys that you like your cars. It's a lot of money to spend on a car to not be happy. Different strokes.
So true. I actually never had much interest in Corvette until the C6 came out. Couldn't afford one at the time. The C7 Z06 came out and I had to have one. It's an amazing car. Have owned several mustangs and really like the GT350. Just wanted a tue sports car for a change. I am almost 50 and have never had any interest in classic cars. Know many that do though. Always been more about performance myself.

Get notified of new replies

To GS vs GT350 Shelby

Old 08-14-2018, 11:53 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

No I'm not trolling actually didn't realize I was in the c7 section. Probably the first time I've ever been in here
Uh, no it isn't:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1590710329
Nice try though...
Old 08-15-2018, 12:04 AM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Received 976 Likes on 532 Posts

You’re welcome to leave. We don’t need your backhanded compliments.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:38 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Most people I know, car guys and non car guys alike do not like the c7 gen vette period.

I heard numerous people express their dislike for the c7, sorry.

The new ZL1 1LE was very well received however.

You must live in a small town. Where I live the only cars that turn heads are classics. Vettes, Pcars, Ferraris,GTRs and Lambos are everywhere.

No I'm not trolling actually didn't realize I was in the c7 section.Probably the first time I've ever been in here due to the fact the c7 doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Saw the pic of the GT350 and jumped in.

the c7 gen is a hideous looking car sorry. That said I'm actually happy for you guys that you like your car.
IMHO I would take take the viper over the C7 every day of the week and twice on Sunday. I've owned vettes for 20 years and currently have a C5Z and a C6Z. A C7 vette will never enter my stable.
let’s see...

1. Yes you’ve been in the C7 room b4 (despite saying you got here by mistake) ranting abt how you’ve owned (old used fixed up C4, C5Z, C6z) vettes for 20years but yet how every muscle car and exotic you’ve seen in a magazine or car show (Viper, GT350, Camaro zl1, Porsches, Lambo, Ferrari, GTR) you don’t own is better than a c7 u don’t own.

2. (“you must be from a small town”) sorry, a LA guy who likes muscle cars he doesn’t own, dissing new Vettes he doesn’t own, name dropping Maranello (u obviously don’t own... see the theme here??) and car shows in the same breath couldn’t impress me LESS.

It's my opinion, which means nothing
3. You got one thing right. I’m sure your opinion of a car is more valued in the chatrooms where u actually have direct experience with the car (“most of the guys i know”, "I heard")...

PS. I hope u had luck selling that ‘94 C4 manual to make room in your garage or else u basically said you’d have your two Vettes and a truck up on blocks at your girlfriend’s place ... oh wait, maybe you don’t want me reading your posts and adding stuff i don’t know anything about?? One good TL;DR rant (I only took excerpts !) deserves another !

Last edited by Parcival; 08-15-2018 at 11:26 AM.

Quick Reply: GS vs GT350 Shelby