Our prayers have been answered - CD player

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 06:54 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
I listen to the same one for months....

If you must know, I keep about 5 in the trap door....as I said many times, the C7 environment while driving down the road is not musically suitable for listening....too much road noise etc. the bits and bites do not matter unless you are at home on your audio system. but, you already knew that, correct?
Yes indeed. I remember years ago a audio expert told me that in order to have a proper stereo for a car it would have to be a lot more power than a home unit to overcome the external noise.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:44 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

For those of you that have purchased one of these (I dont need or asking for a lecture of how stupid i was to buy one), which usb jack did you plug the player into for the info system to identify and play disks? I am having trouble in getting the dvd player identified.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:43 AM
taz2016
Racer

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by RACE U
For those of you that have purchased one of these (I dont need or asking for a lecture of how stupid i was to buy one), which usb jack did you plug the player into for the info system to identify and play disks? I am having trouble in getting the dvd player identified.
I haven't tried the usb behind the display but either of the jacks under the center console work with mine.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:02 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Originally Posted by taz2016
I haven't tried the usb behind the display but either of the jacks under the center console work with mine.
hmmmm.......interesting. i must be doing something wrong. i am using the center console as well. I am also using the "input aux" mode in tbe stereo system, which is the mode I use for my ipod.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:17 AM
taz2016
Racer

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

hmmmm.......interesting. i must be doing something wrong. i am using the center console as well. I am also using the "input aux" mode in tbe stereo system, which is the mode I use for my ipod.
I believe you need "Media" as an input.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:26 AM
SRQ Vette
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainears
Why?

You can just put your content on a USB stick and play it. Why would you want some spinning disc somewhere in your car?
I am one of those people who prefers a CD player because I own several hundred CDs and it takes time and effort to transfer them to a stick. Actually, I also like the outdated technology in my 2012 Volt, which has a CD/DVD player and a 30GB hard drive. I have 125 albums on the hard drive which were recorded the first time I played them in the car. I am still transferring a couple of CDs a month. No stick to lose and now I don't need to carry the CDs in the car.

Last edited by SRQ Vette; 09-30-2018 at 09:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
$$$frumnuttin' (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 11:54 AM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by joemessman
Yes indeed. I remember years ago a audio expert told me that in order to have a proper stereo for a car it would have to be a lot more power than a home unit to overcome the external noise.
thanks, I should have said 'bytes'....lol
Old 10-01-2018, 01:57 PM
Mister Big
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 198 Posts

I listen to the same one for months....

If you must know, I keep about 5 in the trap door....as I said many times, the C7 environment while driving down the road is not musically suitable for listening....too much road noise etc. the bits and bites do not matter unless you are at home on your audio system. but, you already knew that, correct?
A car is one of the worst environments for audio. You'd be hard-pressed to tell the differences in audio formats.
joemessman (10-01-2018)
Old 10-26-2019, 10:56 PM
o2baZR1
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

....and i'll give up my MANUAL when i either cannot find one or when i'm physically unable to use the third pedal. i appreciate your post OP. a cool youtube piece is Mike Ness The Pursuit of Tone where he discusses old musical equipment he uses via his band Social Distortion and some of it's superior qualities. Sometimes in the course of gaining something in 'the new' you also give up something of value. It is not always a black-and-white situation. Don't want CD's? Just say no. Want them? To hell with those who try to force their will on YOU. I still love some of Elvis' stuff.

I'm nobody's slave. Are you?

Last edited by o2baZR1; 10-26-2019 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:22 PM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 693 Likes on 404 Posts

Default CD’s

Let’s play a CD!!
Old 10-26-2019, 11:43 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by o2baZR1
....and i'll give up my MANUAL when i either cannot find one or when i'm physically unable to use the third pedal. i appreciate your post OP. a cool youtube piece is Mike Ness The Pursuit of Tone where he discusses old musical equipment he uses via his band Social Distortion and some of it's superior qualities. Sometimes in the course of gaining something in 'the new' you also give up something of value. It is not always a black-and-white situation. Don't want CD's? Just say no. Want them? To hell with those who try to force their will on YOU. I still love some of Elvis' stuff.

I'm nobody's slave. Are you?
Hmm, at 77 I love playing Elvis, Janis Joplin, Sinatra, Beach Boys, Four Seasons, Stevie Nicks, Heart, Bob Seager, Meet Loaf etc etc! Have all those on a thumb drive, well over 1000! When I start my Grand Sport they automatically play in shuffle mode- seldom off! In the C7 it's needed to drown out the tire and road noise. If I want a particular song or album I just call it up using the voice command system.

I also don't drive distracted! Wouldn't think of messing with CD's! Have my iPhone set to not receive calls when moving! Use my HUD so I can keep and eye on all the AHs who do! Tough keeping my ~60 year record of never having an accident with another car! Heck I graduated from a slide rule, to a TI-59 programable calculator to a PC. Could not operate with my part time internet business without 2 PC's and an iPad (used when on the Treadmill and when traveling!)

As the post above yours said audio particularly in a C7 is at best "fair" due to noise. Found a way to adjust Bass with the push of a button that allowed me to play modern, heavy Bass songs like Joss Stone (a modern Janis Joplin) without having to lower the volume!

Even learned how to relabel the soft keys!

Here's how if you want to join the modern word: http://netwelding.com/Boomy_Bass.pdf

Last edited by JerryU; 10-26-2019 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:43 AM
speed4tu
Drifting

Received 372 Likes on 262 Posts

Looks like someone fell victim to the related thread option and dug up another old thread. Although i did find an early post funny, someone spoke about the USB sticks as the music being compressed vs on a CD. Music is compressed on a CD as well. If one wants total lossless audio in the car you are going to need to add a record player, not a CD player. Just FYI..
That being said, spotify for me.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:34 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,291 Likes on 13,965 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Unfortunate that so many members feel the need to criticize or make fun of another member that posted info that may be useful to others.

OP - thanks for posting this info about the CD player. I have quite a few CDs and may just look into getting one of the players.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:32 AM
OmarZ06
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Now if I could just get a cassette player on my c7
Old 10-27-2019, 11:29 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^
I am often a late adopter on some technology- recall installing an 8 Track under the passenger seat of in my '74 CJ5! Had enough tapes to install it in the glove compartment of my Dodge Colt some years after!

Still have magnetic memory cards from my Ti-59, used cassette's to store programs I wrote for my TRS-80, floppy disks used with my IBM XT, Zip Drives and fortunately my desk top can still read a CD and load to a thumb drive! Use Tribite capacity drives to transfer info to new computers!

Yep I'm slow to use the Cloud!

Last edited by JerryU; 10-27-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:01 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

I am a professional musician and I listen to the same CD for several weeks,mainly to learn and memorize words, chord changes, and create fills in my head as I drive along. Also, it's very relaxing.....
Old 10-27-2019, 07:16 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

I am a professional musician and I listen to the same CD for several weeks,mainly to learn and memorize words, chord changes, and create fills in my head as I drive along. Also, it's very relaxing.....
Yep talking books are the same, put in once and listen for hours. However an album can be put on a thumb drive and play over and over.

The wife's BMW SUV has a built in hard drive. We often listed to the same Broadway play, over and over. Not my preference but it's her car! That hard drive holds hundreds of albums. The SUV also has a single disk CD player! I loaded albums from the player to the Hard Drive.

Get notified of new replies

To Our prayers have been answered - CD player

Old 10-27-2019, 07:30 PM
Ornery
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

All I have to say is there are way too many ******** driving corvettes. No wonder we have such a bad reputation in car circles.

But not near as bad as those Porsche driver's...
Old 10-27-2019, 10:20 PM
kaplana08
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Ain't that the truth.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:52 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
^^
I am often a late adopter on some technology- recall installing an 8 Track under the passenger seat of in my '74 CJ5! Had enough tapes to install it in the glove compartment of my Dodge Colt some years after!

Still have magnetic memory cards from my Ti-59, used cassette's to store programs I wrote for my TRS-80, floppy disks used with my IBM XT, Zip Drives and fortunately my desk top can still read a CD and load to a thumb drive! Use Tribite capacity drives to transfer info to new computers!

Yep I'm slow to use the Cloud!
I am similarly a "hoarder," keeping early technology, including a DVD recorder that would record off of an analog TV and about 12-14 old cell phones dating back to 1993.
JerryU (10-28-2019)

Quick Reply: Our prayers have been answered - CD player