Sponsored by:

Our prayers have been answered - CD player

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 10:07 AM
NmtMev
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by taz2016
On eBay search for 152765346950. If that doesn't work try - 1-Din HD Car Radio In-Dash DVD Player External Android 4.4 Stereo USB Interface. For $65.60 you get a compact USB DVD player with a short attached USB cable that works perfectly to play CDs in my 2017 Corvette. The cable on the unit I received exits from the back of the unit unlike the side as indicated on eBay. No I haven't tried DVDs yet.
Does it have electronic skip protection? its not a bad idea honestly if you really wanna listen to CD's. I just don't wanna be going over bumps then the damn thing skips parts of the song.
The following users liked this post:
rsvette12 (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 10:16 AM
speed4tu
Drifting

Received 372 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by rrsperry
IT's not backwards, it actually sounds better. MP3, Mp4a, bluetooth actually suck at reproducing quality music.

New tech is way more convienent, but that doesn't make it better.
almost always new tech is compromised in some fashion. If you want the highest quality, totally lossless sound you have to step it back to vinyl with a quality turntable. Decades old tech but still beats anything of modern day.

That being said said I’ll take my new tech and just deal with the negatives
Old 08-05-2018, 10:19 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

You punks with your newfangled CDs. They skip in cars, you know, tape does not. Audio peaked with the TEAC 6100. That's where I store all of my collection, at the highest inches per second rate (OK, I made that up, but it sounds like something a tape guy would say)

Too bad, in all seriousness, they didn't generalize the USB stack enough that we could plug just any USB audio device in without drivers. I actually tried a USB Cassette tape to take a photo but it only powered it up, wouldn't play.

Last edited by davepl; 08-05-2018 at 10:20 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by davepl:
intensifi (08-07-2018), Mcrider (08-05-2018), Red86Cfour (10-31-2019), SilverGhost (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 10:29 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Yes have to agree that CD's do sound better (in a noiseless environment) on high end stereo equipment. Although some audiophiles would argue that CD's are are harsh and thin compared to a good turntable and vinyl record. For me, sitting in a car w/ the tire rumble, road noise and some age related hearing loss, I can't hear any difference between them except for the volume they are played at..
The following 2 users liked this post by 1SG_Ret:
dsword (08-06-2018), gusser (11-27-2022)
Old 08-05-2018, 10:46 AM
Dale Stevens
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Taz, thx for posting this; Great info as i'm a music buff; and apparently OLD school as my home system is mostly vinyl on a turntable
that goes thru a TUBE amplification via wire to horn speakers! $$ half as much as my 2016 vette! Thx again, Dale
Old 08-05-2018, 11:04 AM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 248 Posts

Some people just prefer convenience over the finer things in life.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:24 AM
robertlevine
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm a USB stick guy myself, but my wife likes making CD's for our roadtrips... might not be a bad idea to get one for when she wants to take a ride.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:33 AM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

Well couldn't resist - I have a lot of music concert dvd's and if this works I will be a lot happier with leaving Bose head in - report back - thinking of attaching it under driver seat not sure will fit if so snake usb cable into arm rest console - out of site

Be a while before it arrives so more to come - thanks to original poster for this - couldn't find other offerings so from China it arrives I hope
Old 08-05-2018, 11:39 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

IT's not backwards, it actually sounds better. MP3, Mp4a, bluetooth actually suck at reproducing quality music.

New tech is way more convienent, but that doesn't make it better.
LPs sound better than CDs. Maybe we should put turntables in cars. Oh wait, they did that 60 or 70 years ago. Cars are not a great place for listening to music and expecting high fidelity.

Last edited by SRQStingray; 08-05-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:42 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R

Because going backwards is good? Old tech is old for a good reason.

Newsflash for you....not everything new and "techie" is a good thing.

Every hear of vinyl records and tube amplifiters?

probably not...
Old 08-05-2018, 12:00 PM
Jaylars
Pro

Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts

Not knocking any musical source choices, but thought I would add my $ .02
I have nearly 5,000 songs conveniently placed on a 128 GB thumb drive that remains connected via USB behind the screen. Cataloged by genre, name, and mood I ripped most of my CDs and added some old downloaded music. Each CD can be ripped at a higher bitrate than the typical MP3, ex. 192kb/s-320kb/s as opposed to 96kb/s. This will give you much better sound quality/fidelity than the standard bitrates. The reproduction of sound through the factory system is where the quality of sound suffers. Adding a CD player to the system will not sound any better than quality bitrate MP3s.
Although there is a learning curve for ripping music, it is doable and worth the time and effort. There is also the convenience of not having to worry about storing/changin discs or where to place the CD player while driving.
By the way, even MP3s are considered "old technology".
Old 08-05-2018, 12:05 PM
Apocolips
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaylars
Not knocking any musical source choices, but thought I would add my $ .02
I have nearly 5,000 songs conveniently placed on a 128 GB thumb drive that remains connected via USB behind the screen. Cataloged by genre, name, and mood I ripped most of my CDs and added some old downloaded music. Each CD can be ripped at a higher bitrate than the typical MP3, ex. 192kb/s-320kb/s as opposed to 96kb/s. This will give you much better sound quality/fidelity than the standard bitrates. The reproduction of sound through the factory system is where the quality of sound suffers. Adding a CD player to the system will not sound any better than quality bitrate MP3s.
Although there is a learning curve for ripping music, it is doable and worth the time and effort. There is also the convenience of not having to worry about storing/changin discs or where to place the CD player while driving.
By the way, even MP3s are considered "old technology".
5,000 songs, wow, I thought I was doing good with about 550 songs!
Old 08-05-2018, 12:08 PM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

Hate on ...
Old 08-05-2018, 12:09 PM
turbota
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

How does this turn into a heated debate for some. SMH Seriously To each their own. "Like mama always says...If you aint got nutin nice to say dont say anything"
bjones7131 (10-28-2019)
Old 08-05-2018, 12:14 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcrider
The OP offers up a solution for a problem he had, and graciously offers it up to others who might have the same problem, and just like ringing the bell, the pavlov's dogs of the C7 forum appear with their bullshit, comments.

and you wonder why people think of you as arrogant ********????

Let me fill you in, it's a reputation you earn every single day....
Two words: Apple Music... I get every song I want for the time I’m enjoying the car.

i’ll grant i am in the camp of those who have no desire to move back in time by a decade...nor can I see takinng the time to fit a 1DIN in my GS, like I did for my ‘01 bmw (to replace the horrible “Business Stereo”).. but you’re somewhat right that the response was a little harsh.... Then again, so was yours. Being on multiple different car forums, i wouldn’t say vette guys are “arrogant” in general at all... “Porch Guys” and “Bimmerbros” have more of that rep.

I suggest taking a drive with the top off, I will now ha.

Last edited by Parcival; 08-05-2018 at 06:16 PM.
direct007 (08-06-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 12:23 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

IT's not backwards, it actually sounds better. MP3, Mp4a, bluetooth actually suck at reproducing quality music. New tech is way more convienent, but that doesn't make it better.
FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) is pretty old school now (2001) is a bit-for-bit perfect copy of a CD. The problem is the C7 does not recognize FLAC files, so the solution "should" be to BT stream. The problem here is that BT compression kills quality. A direct inline approach works, but you lose any C7 music controls and have to rely on the phone. A CD player though? I guess if you have a huge library you want to listen to. Won't do much with spirited driving. It is a DVD player...wonder if you can watch video somehow.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:26 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

NEWER isn't necessarily BETTER... As with many topics, "it depends"... in this case on the sampling rate of the MP3 and the expertise of the listeners...

McGill University conducted an Evaluation of MP3 Compression for Different Musical Genres
  • Trained listeners can hear differences between CD quality and mp3 compression (96-192 kb/s) and prefer CD quality.
  • Trained listeners can not discriminate between CD quality and mp3 compression (256-320 kb/s) while expert listeners could.

Get notified of new replies

To Our prayers have been answered - CD player

Old 08-05-2018, 12:32 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent
FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) is pretty old school now (2001) is a bit-for-bit perfect copy of a CD. The problem is the C7 does not recognize FLAC files, so the solution "should" be to BT stream. The problem here is that BT compression kills quality. A direct inline approach works, but you lose any C7 music controls and have to rely on the phone. A CD player though? I guess if you have a huge library you want to listen to. Won't do much with spirited driving. It is a DVD player...wonder if you can watch video somehow.
It appears the video will work reason I took the plunge - be nice if OP popped in a dvd to check that
Old 08-05-2018, 12:34 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by NmtMev
Does it have electronic skip protection? its not a bad idea honestly if you really wanna listen to CD's. I just don't wanna be going over bumps then the damn thing skips parts of the song.
My old obsolete rough riding C6 Z06 has a factory installed CD player, and it doesn't skip. But then, I don't use the car for rock crawling with the Jeeps at 100 MPH.

Even with all the additional weight it added to the Z06, LOL, the C6 Z06 is still lighter than the C7 that does not have a factory CD player.

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-05-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:39 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

As others have stated the CD has a higher sampling rate than what we can put on a USB flash drive. Most put mp3 files on a flash drive and they are not as good as sound as what a CD can play. If you have pretty good hearing you can tell the difference. I can see why an audiophile would employ the use of a CD player. I don't use one only because my music files were copied from old 45 rpm records and downloaded mp3s. You couldn't improve the sound of them by burning them to a CD. I think he has a good solution for himself, and for other audiophiles that are fussy about their music. Yes, a flash drive is more convenient, but some people prefer better sound over convenience.

Last edited by joemessman; 08-05-2018 at 12:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Our prayers have been answered - CD player