Sponsored by:

Our prayers have been answered - CD player

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 12:41 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcrider
Newsflash for you....not everything new and "techie" is a good thing.
Every hear of vinyl records and tube amplifiters? probably not...
I am far from an audio engineer, but in the reading I've done, whatever the format, "digital" music is by definition an approximation of the analog music signal and introduces errors in the conversion, the magnitude depending on the sampling bitrate... At very high bitrates, it can reproduce analog music closely, but IMO at "consumer level" bitrates, there IS a distinct sound quality edge held by vinyl...
While the analysis isn't as clear with tubes vs solid state, they do remain popular for better sound quality for some audio fans...
"Tubes, like analog recordings, have a more full-bodied sound than transistor gear. There's a "roundness" to tube sound that solid-state gear never equals. Tubes are less forgiving about mismatches, so to get the best out of a tube amp it must be used with just the right speaker. Solid-state amps are nowhere as fussy about speaker matching."
https://www.cnet.com/news/what-sound...e-electronics/
Old 08-05-2018, 12:48 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

The OP offers up a solution for a problem he had, and graciously offers it up to others who might have the same problem, and just like ringing the bell, the pavlov's dogs of the C7 forum appear with their bullshit, comments.

and you wonder why people think of you as arrogant ********????

Let me fill you in, it's a reputation you earn every single day....
I wonder would you think the same thing if he found a solution to hook up his horse to the vette to pull the car? Probably not. You'd probably comment on how that was a stupid thing to do. How is this different really? Both are examples of refusing to let the past and past technologies go away as they should.

But you must bemoan us and call us names. It is you who is the arrogant ****.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:58 PM
taz2016
Racer

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

I love these forums. I love hitting a hornets nest with a baseball bat. Sometimes it seems to be the same thing!

To answer some questions I've been asked, it will fit under the seat. Where I sit it will fit completely under the seat. With the seat all the way back it sticks out 2"
A better option might be to Velcro it to the carpet on the side of the console. Some of the other units I found online say they can be used flat or vertically. I tried this one vertically
and it seem to work okay. It is slightly less than 1.5" thick.

I've only had the player for 2 days but it has not skipped even when flipping it over. It apparently has a buffer.

I tried 2 different music DVDs and neither one would play. I did not expect the video to work but hoped the audio would.

To those helpful forum members that are once again advocating USB playback I heartily agree. When can I expect you to come over to my house and rip the 700 or 800 CDs I have to a USB drive? I prefer this to be done in a lossless format. Thanks ahead of time for doing what I don't have time to do!
The following 2 users liked this post by taz2016:
roadbike56 (08-08-2018), rsvette12 (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 05:51 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by taz2016
I love these forums. I love hitting a hornets nest with a baseball bat. Sometimes it seems to be the same thing!

To answer some questions I've been asked, it will fit under the seat. Where I sit it will fit completely under the seat. With the seat all the way back it sticks out 2"
A better option might be to Velcro it to the carpet on the side of the console. Some of the other units I found online say they can be used flat or vertically. I tried this one vertically

I've only had the player for 2 days but it has not skipped even when flipping it over. It apparently has a buffer.

I tried 2 different music DVDs and neither one would play. I did not expect the video to work but hoped the audio would.

To those helpful forum members that are once again advocating USB playback I heartily agree. When can I expect you to come over to my house and rip the 700 or 800 CDs I have to a USB drive? I prefer this to be done in a lossless format. Thanks ahead of time for doing what I don't have time to do!
Thank you much Buddy for the post and all the help to bad about dvd portion still be looking forward to using it - I like options
Old 08-05-2018, 06:10 PM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

i'd just like the built in radio to pickup a FM signal more than five miles from the transmitter without the snake hissing. I've never gone so far back in tech time with a (new in 2017) radio before. None of my c6's were so reception challenged as my C7.
The following users liked this post:
rsvette12 (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 06:20 PM
NmtMev
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

I wanna buy one dammit, the damn website doesn't say if it has anti skip protection, can you shake it around while driving a little or go over some rougher roads and let me know if it skips?

roads around here are harsh as sheet, makes my damn teeth rattle
Old 08-05-2018, 06:28 PM
Black18C7
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Can someone please tell me what the hell a CD is ???????
Old 08-05-2018, 06:47 PM
mbaessler
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

On eBay search for 152765346950. If that doesn't work try - 1-Din HD Car Radio In-Dash DVD Player External Android 4.4 Stereo USB Interface. For $65.60 you get a compact USB DVD player with a short attached USB cable that works perfectly to play CDs in my 2017 Corvette. The cable on the unit I received exits from the back of the unit unlike the side as indicated on eBay. No I haven't tried DVDs yet.

The compatibility checker indicates that it is not compatible with my car but it works perfectly including the steering wheel controls and touch screen. The cable is long enough to sit it on the center console or on the carpet in the front of the cargo area. If you want to put it on the floor you will need an USB extension cable 1 foot long or so. The player will fit in the hidden cubby but appears to be too deep to close the door.

The player is powered by USB cable so you do not need to find another way to power it. The tiny manual is mostly Chinese but indicates that it draws 1 amp at 5 volts. Be patient it comes from China and mine took 15 days to get to Ohio.

Just in case anyone is interested I can also vouch that it works perfectly in my Wife's 2018 Honda CRV EX-L. The compatibility checker indicates that it is not compatible for 2018 but says it is compatible with 2017 CRVs so we decided to try it.

For those of you looking for the ability to play CDs this is the best choice. Enjoy!

I wonder how many comments I'll get about putting my music collection on USB? I am well aware of that option but prefer to be able to listen to a CD when I want to.
Thanks for the info.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:01 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

The OP offers up a solution for a problem he had, and graciously offers it up to others who might have the same problem, and just like ringing the bell, the pavlov's dogs of the C7 forum appear with their bullshit, comments.

and you wonder why people think of you as arrogant ********????

Let me fill you in, it's a reputation you earn every single day....
It's a damned good thing the car and motorcycle worlds don't revolve around your lack of thinking and imagination.
Newsflash for you....not everything new and "techie" is a good thing.

Every hear of vinyl records and tube amplifiters?

probably not...
Well done! Personal insults and vulgar language always get a point across better. Keep up the valuable input you provide in your posts here.

One question: Do you have a turntable and tube amplifier in your car? Or did you perhaps make an informed decision balancing sound and convenience?

Old 08-05-2018, 07:06 PM
Mister Big
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 198 Posts

There was another thread inquiring about CD players -- with the same CD vs. USB stick arguments. It's amazing that there's an aftermarket CD player that'll work with the Corvette's steering wheel controls and touch screen. Great find.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:26 PM
tobaccokid
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave80C3
Maybe you could also get a cassette player or even an 8 Track.....

Can not even imagine putting a CD player in my Grand Sport. Shocked my 17 truck came with one. Heck my out dated technology Harley 2017 and 2018 do not have CD players, they just use a USB or Bluetooth.
Can never understand the childish immature sarcasm that appears on this forum. Too bad since, that otherwise, there is so much intelligent info here. Too bad your truck has a solid rear axle, been around for more than 100 years. Harley outdated, technically that's an understatement.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:38 PM
taz2016
Racer

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

For anyone considering these it appears that the price will be going up in 45 minutes

Disregard.
I went back to my account on eBay to check something and it had a countdown timer showing that the sale price was expiring. It was incorrect.

Last edited by taz2016; 08-06-2018 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Incorrect
Old 08-05-2018, 11:48 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Black18C7
Can someone please tell me what the hell a CD is ???????
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c...eofdeposit.asp
Old 08-06-2018, 01:39 AM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

All I have to say is there are way too many ******** driving corvettes. No wonder we have such a bad reputation in car circles.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:29 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Thanx for the info.

Is it possible to post a pic of the unit here?
When can I expect you to come over to my house and rip the 700 or 800 CDs I have to a USB drive?
I hear ya.
Awhile back in another thread similar to this one, I asked members to drop by my place and do the same.
I don't know why no one came over...after donating some to my local library, I am at slightly > 9,000 CDs.

Last edited by sunsalem; 08-06-2018 at 02:30 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:47 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

It's a damned good thing the car and motorcycle worlds don't revolve around your lack of thinking and imagination.
Well, even the antiquated Harley Davidson moved forward in 2014 and did away with the CD player. Heck, even my 2012 CVO road glide came with an iPod for music. We both know Harley thrives on being old school. They go out of their way to keep 1950's technology. I know what I speak of, as I have 5 Harley's in the garage right now.

I'm very glad the auto world is moving forward. Love the new tech. Wish Harley would move more forward.
Originally Posted by Steve_R

Because going backwards is good? Old tech is old for a good reason.

Correct, I sure do not want a new corvette, with C3 technology.....

Originally Posted by rrsperry
Well... putting music on a stick usually involves some sort of compression codec. MP3, MP4a (Itunes, Google music)... Depending on how you go about doing usually doesn't sound as good as the source.

Cd's just sound better. (again it depends on the quality of the A/D converters and other hardware in the player.)
Not all music on a stick is compressed. You have Apple Lossless, you also have very low and no compression MP4 files. It just depends on how you want to transfer your CD. Heck MP4 at a 320 kb/s sound is so close to a CD you could never hear the difference in a C7. I doubt you could hear the difference at 192 kb/s in a C7
Old 08-06-2018, 07:01 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by speed4tu

almost always new tech is compromised in some fashion. If you want the highest quality, totally lossless sound you have to step it back to vinyl with a quality turntable. Decades old tech but still beats anything of modern day.

That being said said I’ll take my new tech and just deal with the negatives
Not necessarally. Some new tech is really good. FLAC is very high quality digital format, but isn't supported in the C7.

Anyway. It starts with the source. If they originally make a crappy recording, nothing is going to help it. I've got CD's that suck from the get go... It was a crappy recording to start with. Then they just put that on a CD. If you buy your music from say, Apple on ITunes, it's convienant, and will sound ok on an iPod, but will have some issues if you try to play it a really good home stereo. It's the way they they produce the final product and then deliver it to you.

Engineers, producers, and artists have a feedback loop. They listen to the music, and produce it to sound ok for the equipment it's going to be heard on. Today that's computers, and earbuds. It's got to be loud and have little dynamic range. (because those devices just can't reproduce the range) So they try to make it "sound" good on those devices. (another reason most NEW music sucks.)

XM, or worse Pandora or Spotify via bluetooth,or other streaming services compress the crap out of it to save bandwidth.

Here's an experiment. If you have car with a CD player, cue up a song that you know really well, (something that was a good conversion to cd or mastered directly in digital) and also cue up the same song in compressed format like Mp3 of Mp4a or bluetooth. Play one source, and switch to the other source. You will probably be amazed at the difference. The cd will probably sound much deeper and wider with more range and presence. It will sound more real. The compressed source will just sound like it's on a flat plain, with little to no depth.

Does it matter in a corvette? Well with the Bose system, (and its inherent problems and philosophy) and big *** tires right behind your head, probably not. But I still wish it had a CD player.
The following 2 users liked this post by rrsperry:
AORoads (08-06-2018), golden2husky (08-06-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Our prayers have been answered - CD player

Old 08-06-2018, 07:07 AM
Crazeehorse
Cruising

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do the 2018's or 2019's support FLAC yet?
Old 08-06-2018, 07:11 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

It's a Corvette, you should only hear the audio when stopped.
The following users liked this post:
WKM (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 09:18 AM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R

What’s next, an “I replaced my fuel injection with a carb” thread? Time, and technology, moves on. It’s how things work. Sorry, going backwards doesn’t get a hearty “well done” from me. YMMV.

Keep that in mind this November...

Quick Reply: Our prayers have been answered - CD player