C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at a used 2017 LT1 Z51. It's go time.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 10:03 PM
montanaman
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ricks327
As a follow-up to my earlier suggestion, I checked on Autotrader.com and there were 4 or 5 2018-19 convertibles within 500 miles of the Detroit area that ranged from 57 to 59k. Not knowing your budget and desires on model (base, Z51, etc.) and options, if you haven't checked their websites I would encourage you to do so.
Rick
Thanks. Looking for a coupe though. I've looked at just about everything between Montana and Arizona and yes there are a lot of cars out there. Normally I would prefer to buy new with a car like this and pay the extra freight but I thought the opportunity to buy a slightly used version for a substantial discount would be another way to go. The CarFax on this car tells a story that the guy who bought it traded it in in 6 days! Something went very wrong for the guy. So then the dealer had it for a year and someone put 2000 miles on it and then they replaced the OEM tires with Nitto Inyo's ? Can't imagine if someone at the dealership could have worn a set of tires to the point they needed to be replaced in 2k miles. It just doesn't add up. There will be some explaining to do that's for sure. If it doesn't work there are plenty of other girls at the dance.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:41 PM
GT2BHPPY
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Purchase

Originally Posted by jimmbbo
There are plenty of new C7s still on the lot with full factory warranties at great prices... AND buying new from the dealer means you can do the Ron Fellows owners' course at Spring Mountain for $1000... (SM gets well deserved rave reviews and should be on the list for anyone wanting to get the most out of their C7).
As posted, make/model/options depend on the intended use... A common observation after doing Spring Mountain is that if you don't plan to track the car, you'll never use the "Z" and GS vettes to their potential, and even the "base" Stingray can't fully unwind on the street (legally). A corollary to Murphy's law states that the more systems and parts you add to a car, the more likely it will need maintenance or repair...
For me, a manual transmission was a must have, along with the 2LT package for the toys and tech I wanted (IMO the value added wasn't there for the 3LT), and since I will infrequently track the car, the '17 Stingray I found on the lot was the perfect fit, and I got that car for a couple of grand more than a similarly equipped '18 Mustang GT Premium.
Check to see if NCM (national corvette museum) members still get GM employee pricing. If so, join the NCM and get about 4-5 k off a new car.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:04 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,980 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Originally Posted by montanaman
Thanks. Looking for a coupe though. I've looked at just about everything between Montana and Arizona and yes there are a lot of cars out there. Normally I would prefer to buy new with a car like this and pay the extra freight but I thought the opportunity to buy a slightly used version for a substantial discount would be another way to go. The CarFax on this car tells a story that the guy who bought it traded it in in 6 days! Something went very wrong for the guy. So then the dealer had it for a year and someone put 2000 miles on it and then they replaced the OEM tires with Nitto Inyo's ? Can't imagine if someone at the dealership could have worn a set of tires to the point they needed to be replaced in 2k miles. It just doesn't add up. There will be some explaining to do that's for sure. If it doesn't work there are plenty of other girls at the dance.
Why would you pay that much for a used C7? That's just nutz. Geez, just buy a new one.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:23 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

x2..that close to new price...now if a few thou doesnt matter to you then why not? You can get it now, warranty and only a few thou on the clock whats the difference?
If it sold off tomorrow youd have to search more. (if you mind or not). Personally Yeah I love a deal but when I got the itch, money be damned. Dont ask the wife she will bitch anyways. LOL

x2 on the winters....love that state its gorgeous ,but those winters i dunno. Wuss with snow

PS AZ...cars are friggin cheap out there not sure why.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:03 AM
montanaman
Racer

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the intel. The only way I will buy this car (Z51 package,Carbon hood stripe and emblems, mirrors and spoiler) will be if they will take 45k. There are so many of these cars and I found a new 2017 in Billings Montana (400 miles away). That does not have the Z51 package but is an LT2 loaded with the exhaust upgrade and the performance data system, front camera etc. Red/black. It does not have the bigger wheel set and I'm never going to track the car so why do I need the Z51 suspension. It's more of the luxury version of the same car. They are asking 54k. No way am I paying 52 for a car with one year less warranty and who knows what kind of miles the 2200 were. Pretty sure the car was driven over the winter as well.
The following users liked this post:
Jeffer (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 11:14 AM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts
Default Try checking out the for sale section here in the forum...

Not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet, but there are great deals to be had right here on the forum in the For Sale section. And it's easy to see the history of the car in a lot of cases because you can track posts to see how the car was treated, problems it may have had, etc. I would trust a forum member more than a dealership (in most cases).

Just throwing that out there...
Old 08-06-2018, 12:19 PM
Jeffer
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the intel. The only way I will buy this car (Z51 package,Carbon hood stripe and emblems, mirrors and spoiler) will be if they will take 45k. There are so many of these cars and I found a new 2017 in Billings Montana (400 miles away). That does not have the Z51 package but is an LT2 loaded with the exhaust upgrade and the performance data system, front camera etc. Red/black. It does not have the bigger wheel set and I'm never going to track the car so why do I need the Z51 suspension. It's more of the luxury version of the same car. They are asking 54k. No way am I paying 52 for a car with one year less warranty and who knows what kind of miles the 2200 were. Pretty sure the car was driven over the winter as well.

buy new you bugger,

U know what U want,

just order it

then we can be friends. Jeffer
Old 08-06-2018, 12:46 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

The 2017 in Billings is nice car and reasonably priced, maybe you could negotiate the price down a little bit more too!.
Rick
Old 08-06-2018, 07:09 PM
montanaman
Racer

The 2017 in Billings is nice car and reasonably priced, maybe you could negotiate the price down a little bit more too!.
Rick
I see the one in Billings and its on my radar. I just went to make a deal on the used Z51 here and unfortunately when I saw the car clean ( kind of ) I noticed several major blemishes (to me) and some of them are probably not repairable unless repainted. Bummer. The story on the Nitto tires that are on it makes sense. The original owner pulled the OEM Michelins off and put these on so he could drive it in the winter. And he did. And it shows. Looks like someone set a purse on the roof and left some nice scratches there and a long one on the drivers A pillar that I would have to look at every time I got in the car. I offered them 45k out the door due to the condition of the car and the condition of the market ( flooded now) with these cars. They did the usual song and dance and came down from 51,700 to 49k. They do have the unused Michelins and will put those on and give me the almost new Nitto's as well. The car just was not babied like most do with cars like this and it shows. Probably ran it through a car wash as well. I walked at 49k. If they meet my price it will be tempting as that is well below any market measure but I don't think I can live with the condition. Shame. I did get to take it on a longer second test drive and I'm in. Brilliant car for the money. That Rev Match on the stick is just so great.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:14 PM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts

You sound very **** about your vehicles and as a fellow **** person, don't buy this car. You will regret it, even if they come down to $45k. There are nice cars out there... Just be patient. I had been looking for months...

The one I ended up with was a total surprise. I didn't even know the car existed for sale 2 hours before I saw it. You'll find the perfect one! And then, no regrets
Old 08-06-2018, 08:29 PM
montanaman
Racer

So now that this used Z51 is off the table I'm wondering if I should skip the Z51 package ( not a lot of those around) and spend that money on the 2LT and get more creature comforts/smaller tires and forego the performance package. They all come with the modes ( sport/eco etc) so is there that much difference in the handling between the Z51 and the stock Stingray? I will probably never track the car and it will be driven fast and somewhat hard but nothing radical. While the roads here in Montana are wide open some of them are a bit rough so maybe the base model with the smaller rubber is a better way to go. And if I can live with a bone stock 7 speed LT1 there are tons of 2019's in the low-mid 50's now.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:01 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

So now that this used Z51 is off the table I'm wondering if I should skip the Z51 package ( not a lot of those around) and spend that money on the 2LT and get more creature comforts/smaller tires and forego the performance package. They all come with the modes ( sport/eco etc) so is there that much difference in the handling between the Z51 and the stock Stingray? I will probably never track the car and it will be driven fast and somewhat hard but nothing radical. While the roads here in Montana are wide open some of them are a bit rough so maybe the base model with the smaller rubber is a better way to go. And if I can live with a bone stock 7 speed LT1 there are tons of 2019's in the low-mid 50's now.
My humble opinion, given your previous posted comments, is that you really don't need the Z51. I bought my 2017 Z51, 3LT, convertible, highly optioned, in Oct 2017 and have found, for my Corvette needs, that I didn't need the Z51 option. I love the car but I don't need the "track options" of the Z51. The car MSRP was $81,085 and I paid 64k with a indoor GM car cover included. Hang in there for what you desire because that car is out there at a price you are comfortable with.
Rick
Old 08-06-2018, 11:30 PM
Jeffer
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

now your making sense
Old 08-07-2018, 10:05 AM
montanaman
Racer

So I'm on to a LT2 now that is being sold as a "new" 2017. it has the Performance data package which jacks up the price quite a bit. I know what it does and it sounds cool but I'm not sure I would ever use it. Can anybody tell me it's worth it? The other bummer is in 2017 the LT2 package has smaller wheels than the 2018 and 19 LT2 package where the smallest wheels are the 19's/20s. The 17's get 18's/19's. Wonder why they did that. I guess I could always get a separate wheel package. I like the way the bigger wheels fill put the wheel wells. The car also does have the Performance exhaust which is good. I'm not sure but does that change the sound much between a regular exhaust? I know you get the extra 5 hp but wondering sound wise is it that much better? Thanks
Old 08-07-2018, 10:25 PM
montanaman
Racer

Rick
I'm close to a deal in Billings. Its a "new" 2017. Full factory warranty. Unfortunately it sat in the snow last winter but what can you do. I'm deciding between that which is a 2LT with the performance exhaust/performance data ( which I don't think I'll use but you get Nav with that I guess) Some black carbon bits etc. Unfortunately the wheels are the smaller 18's and 19's ( even though it was a no cost option to go bigger that year I see) The MSRP on that car was $65,185 The second one is a 2016 with 1000 miles and its a loaded up Z51 2LT with a bunch of options. Its the metallic darker red with chrome wheels so a totally different look than the torch red with black wheels. Price is a bit more for the 2016. The warranty is about done on that. That car's MSRP was $67,965. Both are obviously heavily discounted. The used 2016 would cost about 3k more but it would then have the Z51 package.

Wondering if the smaller wheels are going to make much of a difference other than looks. I really don't need the other components of the Z51 package because it has the exhaust upgrade which is probably the biggest part for me.

Thanks
Old 08-07-2018, 10:31 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

you really have your heart set on a ''3 year old car''

you can buy a ''NEW'' 2019 for almost what your paying for an old new car
Old 08-07-2018, 10:45 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500

He's a "deal chaser" not a car chaser. It's obvious now.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking at a used 2017 LT1 Z51. It's go time.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:48 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Criswell has 10 2019 Stingray Coupes on the lot for under $56k .

http://www.criswellchevrolet.com/Veh...%20Coupe%201LT

And Mike F. will ship anywhere in the US. Even with the shipping it's a good deal.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:38 PM
montanaman
Racer

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500

I never get that emotional when I buy a cars. They come and they go. But with the huge inventory out there and with the discounting that's going on I'm going to look for the best value and get very close what I want.

The 2017 "new" ( which is 400 miles away) is 8k lower than a 2018 or 2019 optioned the same way if I order it. That's real money in my world. And so far the resale value spread between the 17's 18's is not that dramatic so I'm looking at it as taking away at least some of that "drive it off the lot say goodbye to 10k "syndrome. Its a 66k MSRP "new" car for 52 and change. That's not going to happen on a 2019.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:48 PM
DPC57
Pro

Received 323 Likes on 141 Posts

So I'm on to a LT2 now that is being sold as a "new" 2017. it has the Performance data package which jacks up the price quite a bit. I know what it does and it sounds cool but I'm not sure I would ever use it. Can anybody tell me it's worth it? The other bummer is in 2017 the LT2 package has smaller wheels than the 2018 and 19 LT2 package where the smallest wheels are the 19's/20s. The 17's get 18's/19's. Wonder why they did that. I guess I could always get a separate wheel package. I like the way the bigger wheels fill put the wheel wells. The car also does have the Performance exhaust which is good. I'm not sure but does that change the sound much between a regular exhaust? I know you get the extra 5 hp but wondering sound wise is it that much better? Thanks

I bought my 2017 Z51 2LT coupe with sueded seat inserts and steering wheel, PDR/Nav, MSRC (all the options I wanted) New for $59.500 last November (MSRP $73k). If you're looking at leftover 17s, keep that in mind

Quick Reply: Looking at a used 2017 LT1 Z51. It's go time.