C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at a used 2017 LT1 Z51. It's go time.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 11:56 PM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts

For comparison, I just purchased a 2017 Grand Sport with 1800 miles, A8, 2lt, with PDR and stage 2 ground effects for $57,800 from a dealership!
​​​​​​
Good deals are out there! Do some research. Don't get into a hurry and regret anything. There were 2 other cars I seriously... And I mean seriously considered before buying the one I did. Both great cars in their own right, absolutely nothing wrong with them, but something prevented me from pulling the trigger on them. So I waited and kept looking and learning....and Boom. I found the right one.

I feel like you're trying to force this. It's a big purchase. Take your time so in the end, you have no regrets.

Also the "bigger" wheels comes with the Z51 package, just FYI

Last edited by Sconn; 08-07-2018 at 11:57 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:39 AM
montanaman
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by DPC57
I bought my 2017 Z51 2LT coupe with sueded seat inserts and steering wheel, PDR/Nav, MSRC (all the options I wanted) New for $59.500 last November (MSRP $73k). If you're looking at leftover 17s, keep that in mind
You did well. Your dealer must have cursed you as you drove off lol. That deep of a discount had to come with some serious haggling. Strangely with the plethora of cars out there I'm really having to grind the hell the out of these dealers to move off their " my price is the low price" BS. The used 2017 that I'm passing on dropped in price on their web-site the next day after I passed so that line they use is complete crap. I also am sourcing cars in the Pacific Northwest and once labor day comes and goes the market for these cars goes away so one would think they would be more eager.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:00 AM
gbranham
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 50 Posts

While I agree, a tire change at 2200 miles is a red flag, there's nothing wrong with Nitto Invos, or the fact that they aren't Run Flat tires. I ran Nitto Invos on my 2012 Grand Sport after my stockers were tired at 14,000 miles...the Nittos were superior in every way...quieter, softer ride, and stickier. Just my .02..

I've run them on several cars, and also have run Nitto truck tires on four trucks. Excellent wear, excellent traction. No, I don't work for Nitto...

Greg
Old 08-08-2018, 10:39 AM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by montanaman
You did well. Your dealer must have cursed you as you drove off lol. That deep of a discount had to come with some serious haggling. Strangely with the plethora of cars out there I'm really having to grind the hell the out of these dealers to move off their " my price is the low price" BS. The used 2017 that I'm passing on dropped in price on their web-site the next day after I passed so that line they use is complete crap. I also am sourcing cars in the Pacific Northwest and once labor day comes and goes the market for these cars goes away so one would think they would be more eager.
We did a little haggling, but they wouldn't come down much. The car was already priced well, which I partly attribute to it being at a BMW dealership as opposed to a Chevy dealer.

Sometimes with used cars, it all depends on what they're in it for, but ya, they will definitely play the game with you. I think you made the right decision walking away from that car. Don't look back...

I know of one other 2017 GS in Spokane, Wa for a similar price with even lower miles!

https://www.kbb.com/cars-for-sale/489057977/?totalresults=125&index=9&vehicleid=4196 97&atcmake=chevrolet&atcmodel=corvette&s earchtype=all&zipcode=&year=2015-2019&distance=200

I'm not a fan of yellow, otherwise I would have checked this one out too.

​​

Old 08-08-2018, 11:07 AM
montanaman
Racer

Originally Posted by gbranham
While I agree, a tire change at 2200 miles is a red flag, there's nothing wrong with Nitto Invos, or the fact that they aren't Run Flat tires. I ran Nitto Invos on my 2012 Grand Sport after my stockers were tired at 14,000 miles...the Nittos were superior in every way...quieter, softer ride, and stickier. Just my .02..

I've run them on several cars, and also have run Nitto truck tires on four trucks. Excellent wear, excellent traction. No, I don't work for Nitto...

Greg
Thanks. It's not the Nitto tires that are the problem on the used 2017 Z51 here that I almost bought. In fact the dealer has the new OEM's that would come with the deal as well. The problem with that car is the owner put the Nitto's on so he could drive it during the last Montana winter which was a barn burner ! That car has possibly seen the magnesium chloride they use on the roads here and between that and the prominent scratches on the car it killed the deal. Other wise it would be sitting in my garage by now. Bummed me out.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:14 AM
montanaman
Racer

Originally Posted by Sconn
We did a little haggling, but they wouldn't come down much. The car was already priced well, which I partly attribute to it being at a BMW dealership as opposed to a Chevy dealer.

Sometimes with used cars, it all depends on what they're in it for, but ya, they will definitely play the game with you. I think you made the right decision walking away from that car. Don't look back...

I know of one other 2017 GS in Spokane, Wa for a similar price with even lower miles!

https://www.kbb.com/cars-for-sale/48...9&distance=200

I'm not a fan of yellow, otherwise I would have checked this one out too.

​​
Yes I am aware of the one in Spokane. Just not a fan of yellow on this car. I'm really not rushing. I'll be in AZ for the winter in 3 months and they have a ton of cars here. The one I am on now in Billings is optioned just about how I would order it ( except for the PDR smaller 18/19 inch wheels. Yes its a 2017 but it's being sold as new so 3 years full factory warranty and it's at least 8k less than a 2019 with the same configuration. The resale gap between the current 3 model years is minimal as these cars really did not change at all from year to year. I'm guessing that in 5 years ( about how long I will keep the car) the value between a 2019 and a 2017 (same car) will be marginal. I could be wrong.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:27 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

I never get that emotional when I buy a cars. They come and they go. But with the huge inventory out there and with the discounting that's going on I'm going to look for the best value and get very close what I want.

The 2017 "new" ( which is 400 miles away) is 8k lower than a 2018 or 2019 optioned the same way if I order it. That's real money in my world. And so far the resale value spread between the 17's 18's is not that dramatic so I'm looking at it as taking away at least some of that "drive it off the lot say goodbye to 10k "syndrome. Its a 66k MSRP "new" car for 52 and change. That's not going to happen on a 2019.
i don’t see anything wrong with grabbing one of the remaining “new” ‘17s as long as u like the options and look... I bought my ‘17gs new last summer because I fell in love with the racing yellow and black hood/mirror/ calipers look... but if I were sensible I might’ve looked for a ‘16 deal.

Last edited by Parcival; 08-08-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:43 PM
montanaman
Racer

Originally Posted by GT2BHPPY
Check to see if NCM (national corvette museum) members still get GM employee pricing. If so, join the NCM and get about 4-5 k off a new car.
Its a "GM supplier discount" ( does not say a percentage) and it's $1500 to join. Not sure how that works.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:36 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,997 Likes on 2,886 Posts

I see the one in Billings and its on my radar. I just went to make a deal on the used Z51 here and unfortunately when I saw the car clean ( kind of ) I noticed several major blemishes (to me) and some of them are probably not repairable unless repainted. Bummer. The story on the Nitto tires that are on it makes sense. The original owner pulled the OEM Michelins off and put these on so he could drive it in the winter. And he did. And it shows. Looks like someone set a purse on the roof and left some nice scratches there and a long one on the drivers A pillar that I would have to look at every time I got in the car. I offered them 45k out the door due to the condition of the car and the condition of the market ( flooded now) with these cars. They did the usual song and dance and came down from 51,700 to 49k. They do have the unused Michelins and will put those on and give me the almost new Nitto's as well. The car just was not babied like most do with cars like this and it shows. Probably ran it through a car wash as well. I walked at 49k. If they meet my price it will be tempting as that is well below any market measure but I don't think I can live with the condition. Shame. I did get to take it on a longer second test drive and I'm in. Brilliant car for the money. That Rev Match on the stick is just so great.
Geeez, Nancy.....just buy one already. Drama Queen thread. Unless you don't have any money. Lol!
Old 08-09-2018, 12:15 AM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

So now that this used Z51 is off the table I'm wondering if I should skip the Z51 package ( not a lot of those around) and spend that money on the 2LT and get more creature comforts/smaller tires and forego the performance package. They all come with the modes ( sport/eco etc) so is there that much difference in the handling between the Z51 and the stock Stingray? I will probably never track the car and it will be driven fast and somewhat hard but nothing radical. While the roads here in Montana are wide open some of them are a bit rough so maybe the base model with the smaller rubber is a better way to go. And if I can live with a bone stock 7 speed LT1 there are tons of 2019's in the low-mid 50's now.
IMO the only thing the Z and GS vettes give to a street-only car is some bragging rights and body bling that some people love, but add complexity and unused systems to the car.
There are PLENTY of great Stingrays on dealer lots that they'd love to be rid of, and even if it takes an airplane ride to get it, the drive back will be a blast...

Last edited by jimmbbo; 08-09-2018 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:24 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmbbo
IMO the only thing the Z and GS vettes give to a street-only car is some bragging rights and body bling that some people love, but add complexity and unused systems to the car.
There are PLENTY of great Stingrays on dealer lots that they'd love to be rid of, and even if it takes an airplane ride to get it, the drive back will be a blast...
i said it earlier, and i'll say it again, he's chasing the deal, not the car. He has to get a huge discount for some reason before he'll consider the car. I don't understand the logic, but it's his money.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:56 PM
montanaman
Racer

Originally Posted by jimmbbo
I'm not just shopping for the best deal but for the best car for the money. Big difference. With the massive amount of these cars out there it would make no sense to not. Most of them have been discounted so many times it's hard to even get a real price. And the odd thing is how lame the sales people are out there when it comes to SELLING. Awful. Most couldn't sell water in the desert. There are cars that they have been sitting on for well over a year and they could care less. No motivation whatsoever and I'm not talking about the money part. Believe me I'm trying to get a car. Can't find one that is optioned properly. Most have the PDR/Nav instead of Magna ride ( same cost ) etc. I'm now trying to order new and I'm sure that will be challenging regardless of cost. Just having a hard time finding competent people out there these days. Most just don't really care. YMMV.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:12 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

I'm not just shopping for the best deal but for the best car for the money. Big difference. With the massive amount of these cars out there it would make no sense to not. Most of them have been discounted so many times it's hard to even get a real price. And the odd thing is how lame the sales people are out there when it comes to SELLING. Awful. Most couldn't sell water in the desert. There are cars that they have been sitting on for well over a year and they could care less. No motivation whatsoever and I'm not talking about the money part. Believe me I'm trying to get a car. Can't find one that is optioned properly. Most have the PDR/Nav instead of Magna ride ( same cost ) etc. I'm now trying to order new and I'm sure that will be challenging regardless of cost. Just having a hard time finding competent people out there these days. Most just don't really care. YMMV.
I've recommended that you call Mike Furman at Criswell Chevrolet in Gaithersberg MD a couple of times now. All of your problems will be solved. There's a reason he has sold over 4,000 vettes
Old 08-09-2018, 05:54 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Take your time to find the car that YOU want. Some folks like to pull the trigger faster than others. It took me 2 years to find my 67 that was optioned and in the condition to my satisfaction. Once I got the 67, I made the necessary improvements to obtain a NCRS Top Flight, then drove the pants off of it. The fun in the chase can be a lot of enjoyment to some and bothersome to others.
Rick
Old 08-09-2018, 07:16 PM
montanaman
Racer

Originally Posted by Thunder22
I've recommended that you call Mike Furman at Criswell Chevrolet in Gaithersberg MD a couple of times now. All of your problems will be solved. There's a reason he has sold over 4,000 vettes
I went through every car on his web-site and none of them were what I am looking for. I'll call him to see if he can help source one from somewhere else but that never works. And he's 2000 miles away. If you want a Z06 or a GS he's your guy. He's got dozens of those. I'm close on a new 17. Looking into rent a cars. It will be a 450 mile trip to get it but the drive back will be great. And as far as "looking for a deal" goes. I've never seen a situation where there are 3 "new" different model years on lots at the same time so why wouldn't you shop for price. I've paid full boat for a couple of cars that I had to have and there were no options but in this situation? Crazy. Too bad the people ordering these cars do such a random job when it comes to options on the car. Torch red/black 2LT with performance exhaust, magna ride,nav/pdr, carbon Z51 spoiler,black wheels and badges. Can't find one like that. Seems like a no brainer.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:27 PM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

Hello all. I've been looking for a summer sports car here in Montana and was close to buying a new Mustang GT but they've got some serious issues over there so I'm now over here where I should have been all along. I've always liked Corvettes ( except some in the late 90's) but never thought the C7's with any goodies were in financial reach.

Local dealer has been sitting on a Torch red, 1LT ZR1 with a couple thousand miles on the clock. It has some of the carbon bits ( spoiler and mirrors) and a black hood stripe. With the black wheels ( I usually don't like them ) it is a stunning car and it seems to be optioned well enough. It has the infotainment deal but no Nav which is no biggy. Anything I need to look for other than the usual used car stuff ? The car was put in to service a little less than a year ago so it still has a couple years warranty. The CarFax is clean with the car being serviced by the dealer ( oil ) at 2k miles and a windshield wiper pump and seatbelt latch replaced. Other than that the car is clean. We are in the negotiating stage but it looks like a go. He's a little high on price and that " this is the price" rap has got to go. Everything is negotiable and cars change value daily so I just ignore that line. Values on cars like this change daily.

Any major recalls or TSB's that applied to this year? Is it worth paying little more for the car that has the ZR1 package? I loved the exhaust notes ( adjustable) and the rev match with the 7 speed is awesome. I took it for a 10 mile test drive and was pretty blown away. I've driven my buddies new Z06 so I know what thats all about ( too much for my old ***) and the handling on this ZR1 excellent and comparable to my old 2005 911S. It's that good. Not wild about red seats but I can look past it. Other than that I think the car is about as set up as if I were ordering a new one right down to the color. Any reason not to pull the trigger?

Thanks. Looks like a great forum. I'll get some pics up next week if I get it.

I bought one like yours back in November. It's a 2017 Red Z51 1LT M7. The only time I regret not getting more options is when I'm surfing the web. When actually I'm driving the car, I find it wanting for nothing. What a machine!
Old 08-10-2018, 06:18 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

I went through every car on his web-site and none of them were what I am looking for. I'll call him to see if he can help source one from somewhere else but that never works. And he's 2000 miles away. If you want a Z06 or a GS he's your guy. He's got dozens of those. I'm close on a new 17. Looking into rent a cars. It will be a 450 mile trip to get it but the drive back will be great. And as far as "looking for a deal" goes. I've never seen a situation where there are 3 "new" different model years on lots at the same time so why wouldn't you shop for price. I've paid full boat for a couple of cars that I had to have and there were no options but in this situation? Crazy. Too bad the people ordering these cars do such a random job when it comes to options on the car. Torch red/black 2LT with performance exhaust, magna ride,nav/pdr, carbon Z51 spoiler,black wheels and badges. Can't find one like that. Seems like a no brainer.
The point of recommending calling mike and ordering a new car was:
1) you could order exactly what you want - no compromises, no worries of someone tracking it and then putting new tires on it at 2000 miles
2) he can courtesy deliver the car to a dealer by you, so the 2000 miles away thing is a non-issue.
3) he would have given you a very good price on a brand new car - so price would have been a non-issue
4) you would have a full warranty from day 1 - no need to buy an extended warranty immediately.

I'm glad your saga is over. In the future, my advice would be to listen to advice when you get it from people who are more knowledgeable, otherwise why ask?

Enjoy your new car. They're a blast.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking at a used 2017 LT1 Z51. It's go time.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:38 PM
Null Pointer
Exception ID 10T
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 506 Likes on 333 Posts

Congrats on your new for you purchase. Please be sure to come back to this thread to post pictures. It sounds like a beauty. Only 1000 miles - basically a brand new car. You did well.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1597765483
Old 08-15-2018, 11:15 AM
montanaman
Racer

Well a last minute change and I came home from Idaho with a new 2017 2LT Arctic white with Mag ride, performance exhaust,Nav/PDR,Satin black red striped wheels and red brake calipers( killer on that car),Carbon mirrors and Z51 spoiler and carbon interior. White was not my first choice but it was always a close second to Torch red. The Long Beach red Z51 was very nice but for the same money I got a new car with the 3 year BTB and all the other things that buying new brings. The only hard part was the drive home. New tires and the manual says keep rev's below 4k for 500 miles. My 170 mile ride home included 100 miles of remote twisty roads where one can just go nuts. It was hard to show the required restraint. What a car. I'm totally blown away and I've had some great performance cars in my day.

After reading countless comments on the Z51 vs "non" I'm glad I opted for the non with the Mag ride. It's how I would have ordered the car. The roads here in Montana while wide open are also pretty banged up in spots and putting it in tour mode really changes things. I've heard about the "re-calibration available for $350 on the mag ride so I'm off to learn more about that. My car was built in late 2016 so I am guessing that it has the old version. I'll drive it for awhile and then look into it if it makes a substantial difference.

Thanks for all the great feedback provided by this forum. Off to get an estimate on a clear bra which is a must here.

I'll get some pics after I clay it and wax it today..
Old 08-15-2018, 12:17 PM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Hey you found The One!! Congrats and enjoy!

Quick Reply: Looking at a used 2017 LT1 Z51. It's go time.