Sponsored by:

Mobil 1 0w-40 esp Dexos best price

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 08:54 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by Zjoe6
Thanks, I will do that in spring when I change my oil.
Keep your eyes peeled here, as when the time comes someone always starts a thread announcing it. Note that although Walmart never shows up on the rebate "Participating Retailers Include" list, those purchases do qualify, although in the past Amazon has not.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:52 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by lakemg
You bring up a good point...It would be interesting to know from an analytical testing standpoint how much different the two 0W40 varieties are, if there's even any difference all.
There has to be a difference, because the new 0w40 has the dexos2 certification while the European 0w40 does not. So that alone means they cannot possibly use the exact same formulation. Also, the ESP Formula is a low SAPS oil, so it's level of sulfated ash is considerably lower than the European 0w40, and it has a lower TBN. You can see the different technical specs on the Mobil 1 website. I have also seen a used oil analysis from Blackstone labs on the new 0w40 and it's additive package is different than the European 0w40, it has much less calcium, it has more magnesium and it has more boron in it.

Last edited by Patman; 11-19-2018 at 12:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lakemg (11-19-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 06:33 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,687 Likes on 5,589 Posts

Originally Posted by HorsePowerAddicts
https://horsepower-addicts.com/produ...-esp-0w-40-oil

We have the oil available. Email us your zip before checking out and we can work to better shipping cost.
Just wanted to give HorsePowerAddicts a shout out as I ordered their 10-quart 0w-40 ESP Dexos deal for $118.75 shipped anywhere in CONUS on Sunday,
they shipped it on Monday and I received it today. Being they were including the shipping cost in their price I expected to get it in a couple weeks, not in one day.
I also like that they sell it on quart containers as opposed to the liters which most are selling for a little less.
Allows me to change my oil over the Holiday weekend. Thanks HPA for the quick service.
HorsePowerAddicts (11-22-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 09:06 PM
Submerge
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Flame Red
Be aware that if you mean Fleabay seller collins8575, he has very poor communications. I ordered and he quickly sent me a Fedex tracking number. But after a while, he did not tender it to Fedex. So I asked and he said it was going to ship the following Monday. Never did. Then I asked again and he confessed it was out of stock. I disputed the charge and he shipped it a few days later. It did come as advertised, but if you notice he has few reviews.
Shipped within a few days of ordering both times. No issues yet.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:01 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
Exxon Mobil makes money off the sale of the new oil, not GM. It's not some sort of conspiracy between the two to take money from our pockets.
Really? I still don't see this new oil in any stores, so I have to go through my dealer to buy it. Still not seeing how this benefits GM at the consumers expense? Why isn't this oil available in stores yet?

Then say some guys says, screw it, I'll just use 5w30, then he has an issue with his engine, and GM says, 'well, you weren't using the right oil, so we're denying warranty coverage'. Another possible benefit to GM.

Almost a year in and this oil is still hard to get - that's pretty freaking unacceptable and pretty damn fishy if you ask me.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:17 AM
Patman
Race Director

Originally Posted by kennyjames21

Then say some guys says, screw it, I'll just use 5w30, then he has an issue with his engine, and GM says, 'well, you weren't using the right oil, so we're denying warranty coverage'. Another possible benefit to GM.
They can't deny you warranty coverage for using a dexos1 5w30, it even says it's acceptable in the 2019 owner's manual.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:43 AM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

They can't deny you warranty coverage for using a dexos1 5w30, it even says it's acceptable in the 2019 owner's manual.
I was about to post the same thing. Its not like the engine suddenly changed in 2019. Thus older C7s can run the new oil and newer C7s can run the old oil, either or... its all good. The main reason per Mobil's press release is the 0W-40 was authorized by GM for dual use (street and track).

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why-...ecommended-oil

Old 11-21-2018, 11:12 AM
Patman
Race Director

I also betting that I'm safe in terms of warranty coverage with the oil I'm running, which is Mobil 1 5w30 ESP Formula, as it's dexos2 certified.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:33 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Your comment makes no sense Al. GM chose to start using this oil in the C7 for a reason, they aren't getting any monetary gain out of it. GM doesn't really care whether you use 5w30 or the new 0w40, but there are very clear benefits to the new oil if you do some research about it, and the benefits aren't just for those people that track their cars and want to eliminate the swapping back and forth between 15w50 and 5w30 all the time.
It might not make a difference to the average C7 owner that doesn't even come close to putting 100k on their cars before trading them in, but I do believe in the long run that this oil (and any of the dexos2 oils) will be a better choice in keeping the engine cleaner and engine wear lower for those that plan on keeping their cars for way beyond 100k. (and before anyone chimes in and says they got 200k out of their C4 or C5 or C6, using M1 5w30, keep in mind that those were different engines, not using direct injection and this makes it a whole different ballgame, so what worked before might not necessarily be the best choice now)
Curious what exactly you think the benefits are from switching to the ESP oil? Not having to replace your cat converters? That's a huge contributing factor to GM switching to the ESP formula, which stands for Emission System Protection. GM recommended that people use 15w50 for track use, which results in premature cat converter failure, which is covered under multiple emissions warranties (for up to 8 years or 80k in many states), which costs GM money. Now you can use an oil that has less catalytic converter harming additives, which protects the engine a little less ( but power train warranties are only 5 year/60k), but saves GM money on warranty claims for converters.

If nothing else, the forums have done a great job at perpetuating the feeling that YOU receive some great benefit from switching to the new ESP oil.
sjw91 (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 12:27 PM
Patman
Race Director

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
Curious what exactly you think the benefits are from switching to the ESP oil? Not having to replace your cat converters? That's a huge contributing factor to GM switching to the ESP formula, which stands for Emission System Protection. GM recommended that people use 15w50 for track use, which results in premature cat converter failure, which is covered under multiple emissions warranties (for up to 8 years or 80k in many states), which costs GM money. Now you can use an oil that has less catalytic converter harming additives, which protects the engine a little less ( but power train warranties are only 5 year/60k), but saves GM money on warranty claims for converters.

If nothing else, the forums have done a great job at perpetuating the feeling that YOU receive some great benefit from switching to the new ESP oil.
The ESP formulas can definitely prolong the life of the cats, but they also have the added benefit of keeping the engine cleaner, something very important for us with our direct injection systems that are definitely prone to building up deposits. I also like the fact that both the 5w30 and 0w40 versions of ESP Formula are dexos2 certified oils, which means they both have an HTHS value of 3.5 or higher, something of importance if you like to push your car hard when the oil temperature is higher (either on the track or even on the street on a hot summer day) That extra level of "cushion" from the higher HTHS will contribute to a much longer engine life, IMO.

I still don't believe GM switched to this oil in order to appease the very tiny number of C7 owners that actually take their cars to the track, as I bet that number is less than 1%.

As an aside, if the price of this oil is still too high in your area (or you can't find it) but you want to get the benefits of a dexos2 certified oil, another option is Pennzoil Euro L 5w30, which can often be found in Walmart for around $23 for a 5 quart jug. I might just give that oil a try in the future in mine.

Last edited by Patman; 11-21-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:48 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

Also, again, NO AFFILIATION, but I just picked up 10 bottles of Valvoline MST 5W-40 from NAPA, which is ALSO DEXOS 2 certified. If you need a 40 weight oil because you DO track, or drive a lot in a hot environment, and don't want to wait until the Mobil 1 0W-40 is widely available, they were $4.99 per bottle if you reserve online.

They meet (and exceed some) most of the Mobil 1 0W-40 specs, meets and certified by DEXOS for DEXOS 2 standards. The one drawback is the zinc and phosphorus content is slightly lower by about 10 parts per million, which means the anti-wear additives are slightly lower. For a modern engine that doesn't exceed 10,000 miles between changes, that 10 PPM difference in the antiwar ZDDP won't be harmful to the engine.

For now that's what I'm using until the 0W-40 is widely available. This from someone who ran 10W-60 Castrol TWS, which was $12 per bottle RETAIL, for over 10 years in his car because BMW DOES void your engine warranty if you don't use that specific oil (for a while, anyway). They don't even bother to use the word "recommend." They SPECIFIED that you must use Castrol TWS 10W-60 because of the super tight bearing tolerances AND the 8,000 RPM redline.
JMII (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 02:21 PM
Patman
Race Director

Originally Posted by The HACK
Also, again, NO AFFILIATION, but I just picked up 10 bottles of Valvoline MST 5W-40 from NAPA, which is ALSO DEXOS 2 certified. If you need a 40 weight oil because you DO track, or drive a lot in a hot environment, and don't want to wait until the Mobil 1 0W-40 is widely available, they were $4.99 per bottle if you reserve online.

They meet (and exceed some) most of the Mobil 1 0W-40 specs, meets and certified by DEXOS for DEXOS 2 standards. The one drawback is the zinc and phosphorus content is slightly lower by about 10 parts per million, which means the anti-wear additives are slightly lower. For a modern engine that doesn't exceed 10,000 miles between changes, that 10 PPM difference in the antiwar ZDDP won't be harmful to the engine.
Don't worry about the lower levels of zinc and phosphorus, as all the major oil companies have dealt with these lower ZDDP levels by increasing the level other anti wear additives in their formulations, such as titanium and boron. So that Valvoline 5w40 is another great choice if 0w40 ESP Formula is not available.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:06 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

Don't worry about the lower levels of zinc and phosphorus, as all the major oil companies have dealt with these lower ZDDP levels by increasing the level other anti wear additives in their formulations, such as titanium and boron. So that Valvoline 5w40 is another great choice if 0w40 ESP Formula is not available.
Thanks, that's what I suspect. Before I bought it I looked at a dozen sites talking about Zinc and its anti-wear properties and came to the same conclusion. Especially for NEW engines it's really not an issue.

Mostly it's just a pretty good deal, 10 bottles for ~$50 and meets DEXOS 2. That means I won't have to swap oil for the events I'll be attending NEXT year. Yay me.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:35 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Zinc dithiophosphate (ZDDP) has been used by major oil companies for many years in their motor oil formulations. The reason for this is ZDDP acts as a good anti-wear agent, and until metals of all kinds have escalated wildly in price, it was relatively cheap. Due to the skyrocketing price of platinum and palladium, Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) have decided to change the composition of your vehicles catalytic converter. What has happened is that the EPA has mandated that sulfur, phosphorus and zinc (sulfated ash) were to be removed from the oil as it destroys the catalytic converter over a long period of time. The upshot is oils have been cutback in their use of ZDDP. You can thank our EPA. Apparently to them using most any chemical is dangerous to the environment.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:29 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,289 Likes on 13,964 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by marsheng
My free oil change on my 2019 Corvette was billed out at $264.00 Canadian last month.
Yikes.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:00 AM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,161 Posts

Since I have no intention of tracking my car I'm just going to use the cheap 5W30 Mobil 1 dexos from Walmart in my car.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:14 AM
blue max
Burning Brakes

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts

Be careful this price you showed is for the European formula which is different.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 0w-40 esp Dexos best price