Sponsored by:

Looking To Buy 2019 GS (questions)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 10:37 AM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Default Looking To Buy 2019 GS (questions)

I've researched it but can't find an answer quickly but I assume 2019 production has stopped so the factory can be retooled for the C8. Is this correct?

So, from what I gather, the A8 isn't a "success story". I've driven manual all my life (I'm 67) and thought I might change to automatic but what I'm reading doesn't give me the warm fuzzies. I'm thinking I should stick with the stick (LOL) and save the money and headaches. Comments?

I know this sounds stupid but I've never had a car with run-flat tires. The tires that come with the GS, are they run-flat tires or... "real" tires? If they are, what does one do in the case of a flat tire?

I had summer tires on my 370Z but I drove it all year around (Atlanta)... I just took it easier on cold streets and rain. So, what actually does "summer tire" mean? That it handles less well on cold pavement? That the rubber wears out faster on cold pavement?

Have the recent production models cured the rattle problems I've read about the targa top?

Anyone completed a purchase here lately that can suggest what kind of reduction off MSRP I might argue for?

Any other comments as I consider buying...?

Thanks in advance for your helpful replies.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:14 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Run flat tires are a little noisier but the trade off is you can drive 50 miles on them after you get a flat so no need for a jack. Summer tires have a stickier substance to them and as a result handle better in warm weather and worse in cold weather. Dangerous in snow.

As far as pricing, the best deals and the most knowledable sales folks are at the large forum dealers-Kerbeck, Criswell, McKulken they have a huge inventory, but sticks are harder to find if you want a 2LT or 3LT package. A lot of people feel the NPP performance exhaust is a must, The magnetic ride and Z51 packages are also very desireable.

My guess is a min. of 15% off MSRP for a 19. If you like the wide body look get the GS
The following users liked this post:
Slynky (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 11:22 AM
speed4tu
Drifting

Received 372 Likes on 262 Posts

I have an A8 in my 16 Z51 and never had any issues at all with it. Got about 9500 miles on it now. And the tires that come on all of the are "Real tires" that happen to be run flats. If you wanna try the auto, by all means try it out. Its far superior to the Auto's of past you might have driven back when. I was at a toss up with manual vs auto when I got mine and opted for the auto and would def do it again.
Slynky (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 11:49 AM
Deweyox
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

took delivery last month on my 19GS A8. I went auto cause I have a resto mod with a T56 Tremec 6 speed and that's all the "FUN" I need.
I got 10% off an ordered car and was happy with that. Always happy when I'm out the door for less than sticker price. We have 10-12% taxes and inflated registration here, so that was covered and I'm good with that. I have 2 tops and neither rattle. No doubt you can get a better deal on a 2 year old car or a new one on the lot. Personally, I didn't care about setting a record for all time car deals on this one. I just wanted a vette, the way I wanted it. It's everything I would have hoped for. pretty damned sweet.
I'm happy with the A8 and just installed that range thingy, so we'll see if the A8 can be any better?

Last edited by Deweyox; 08-09-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Slynky (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 12:09 PM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Slynky
I've researched it but can't find an answer quickly but I assume 2019 production has stopped so the factory can be retooled for the C8. Is this correct?

So, from what I gather, the A8 isn't a "success story". I've driven manual all my life (I'm 67) and thought I might change to automatic but what I'm reading doesn't give me the warm fuzzies. I'm thinking I should stick with the stick (LOL) and save the money and headaches. Comments?

I know this sounds stupid but I've never had a car with run-flat tires. The tires that come with the GS, are they run-flat tires or... "real" tires? If they are, what does one do in the case of a flat tire?

I had summer tires on my 370Z but I drove it all year around (Atlanta)... I just took it easier on cold streets and rain. So, what actually does "summer tire" mean? That it handles less well on cold pavement? That the rubber wears out faster on cold pavement?

Have the recent production models cured the rattle problems I've read about the targa top?

Anyone completed a purchase here lately that can suggest what kind of reduction off MSRP I might argue for?

Any other comments as I consider buying...?

Thanks in advance for your helpful replies.
Production of 2019s is going strong, they will not stop for retooling, it appears some protos (C8s) are being produced in the factory as it is.
Have had two A8s and no problems, my Z06 has just been produced and it has an A8.
As stated run flats are just that and really can not tell the difference, I had a 17 GS and it ran well at MSR Cresson a 1.7 mile track on run flats.
PS I'm 74.

Last edited by BRCC; 08-09-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Slynky (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 12:34 PM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I'm probably not going to hit all the specifics you are asking for with your tire questions, but I'll add this for perspective. I went from a C6 GS, to a pair of 370Z roadsters, and now back to Vettes with the C7 GS...and also in a similar climate in Charlotte. I drove my 370Zs on stock tires year round, the first of the two in all weather as my daily driver on Michelin Pilot Super Sports, the second of the two, like the Vettes, more nice-weather only. Drove my GS all last winter, as long as roads were dry and salt-free.

I'm not an overly-aggressive driver on the street, but I'd say if you are used to how the 370Z felt in the cold on stock summer tires, you'll feel about the same in the Vette on cold on stock tires. Cold summer tires are much easier to spin (because the soft tire compound is much harder in cold weather), but easily controllable with a lighter foot on the go pedal, plus the weather mode of MSRC is awesome in helping too.
The following 2 users liked this post by DWS44:
pdiddy972 (08-10-2018), Slynky (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 12:39 PM
gbranham
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 50 Posts

Ordered my 2019 GS on July 9th. Joined the National Corvette Museum for $50 to get the GM Supplier Discount. Joined NCM, called them right away, and they gave me my supplier code. Went to gmsupplierdiscount.com to redeem it, and it spit out a code I took to my sales guy at the Chevy dealer. He applied the code, and it took 6.7% off MSRP. When the car gets here (target production week of 8/27), they'll apply any additional incentives that are available at the time. So, I'm shooting for about 10% total off of MSRP.

I ordered a 2019 GS, 2LT, 7-speed manual, black exterior, black interior, base seats, nickel-painted wheels, NAV/PDR, and that's it. MSRP was $73k and change.

Oh, and yes, the GS comes with Run Flat tires. I had a 2012 GS with the stock run flats, and drove it year-round with no problems...avoiding snow, ice and rain, of course. I hear a lot of folks say their stock run flats are down right dangerous in cold (but dry) weather...never understood that. Just keep your foot out of it in cold weather, and it drives like any other car. 2019s are still being produced, with no announcement of when they'll stop, but I suspect you've got months to a year before they end production.

Last edited by gbranham; 08-09-2018 at 12:43 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by gbranham:
corvettemuseum (08-09-2018), pdiddy972 (08-10-2018), Slynky (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 12:46 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

Congrats!! ....and you chose the correct transmission (M7) for a high performance car....
Slynky (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 01:19 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
Run flat tires are a little noisier but the trade off is you can drive 50 miles on them after you get a flat so no need for a jack. Summer tires have a stickier substance to them and as a result handle better in warm weather and worse in cold weather. Dangerous in snow.

As far as pricing, the best deals and the most knowledable sales folks are at the large forum dealers-Kerbeck, Criswell, McKulken they have a huge inventory, but sticks are harder to find if you want a 2LT or 3LT package. A lot of people feel the NPP performance exhaust is a must, The magnetic ride and Z51 packages are also very desireable.

My guess is a min. of 15% off MSRP for a 19. If you like the wide body look get the GS
Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'm somewhat lucky in Atlanta because we have a fairly big dealer here in Rick Hendrick. I need to buy in Georgia because if bought and paid for here, future ad volorem taxes are waived.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:21 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by speed4tu
I have an A8 in my 16 Z51 and never had any issues at all with it. Got about 9500 miles on it now. And the tires that come on all of the are "Real tires" that happen to be run flats. If you wanna try the auto, by all means try it out. Its far superior to the Auto's of past you might have driven back when. I was at a toss up with manual vs auto when I got mine and opted for the auto and would def do it again.
So, Pilot Sport Cup on the GS model are also run-flat tires?

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:22 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Deweyox
took delivery last month on my 19GS A8. I went auto cause I have a resto mod with a T56 Tremec 6 speed and that's all the "FUN" I need.
I got 10% off an ordered car and was happy with that. Always happy when I'm out the door for less than sticker price. We have 10-12% taxes and inflated registration here, so that was covered and I'm good with that. I have 2 tops and neither rattle. No doubt you can get a better deal on a 2 year old car or a new one on the lot. Personally, I didn't care about setting a record for all time car deals on this one. I just wanted a vette, the way I wanted it. It's everything I would have hoped for. pretty damned sweet.
I'm happy with the A8 and just installed that range thingy, so we'll see if the A8 can be any better?
Thanks for your reply. Nice to get a good deal on an ordered car (just the way you want it).
Old 08-09-2018, 01:24 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BRCC
Production of 2019s is going strong, they will not stop for retooling, it appears some protos (C8s) are being produced in the factory as it is.
Have had two A8s and no problems, my Z06 has just been produced and it has an A8.
As stated run flats are just that and really can not tell the difference, I had a 17 GS and it ran well at MSR Cresson a 1.7 mile track on run flats.
PS I'm 74.
74 ! Wow !

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Not sure where I heard production was halted...probably a brain fart.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:25 PM
gbranham
Racer

BTW...my dealer is Hendrick Chevrolet in Shawnee Mission, KS.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:27 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DWS44
I'm probably not going to hit all the specifics you are asking for with your tire questions, but I'll add this for perspective. I went from a C6 GS, to a pair of 370Z roadsters, and now back to Vettes with the C7 GS...and also in a similar climate in Charlotte. I drove my 370Zs on stock tires year round, the first of the two in all weather as my daily driver on Michelin Pilot Super Sports, the second of the two, like the Vettes, more nice-weather only. Drove my GS all last winter, as long as roads were dry and salt-free.

I'm not an overly-aggressive driver on the street, but I'd say if you are used to how the 370Z felt in the cold on stock summer tires, you'll feel about the same in the Vette on cold on stock tires. Cold summer tires are much easier to spin (because the soft tire compound is much harder in cold weather), but easily controllable with a lighter foot on the go pedal, plus the weather mode of MSRC is awesome in helping too.
Thanks for your informative reply. I'm from NC (but out a bit west of Hickory). Yeah... no driving on salted roads (LOL) Always a pain waiting for a good rain to come along and wash all the brine off.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:30 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gbranham
Ordered my 2019 GS on July 9th. Joined the National Corvette Museum for $50 to get the GM Supplier Discount. Joined NCM, called them right away, and they gave me my supplier code. Went to gmsupplierdiscount.com to redeem it, and it spit out a code I took to my sales guy at the Chevy dealer. He applied the code, and it took 6.7% off MSRP. When the car gets here (target production week of 8/27), they'll apply any additional incentives that are available at the time. So, I'm shooting for about 10% total off of MSRP.

I ordered a 2019 GS, 2LT, 7-speed manual, black exterior, black interior, base seats, nickel-painted wheels, NAV/PDR, and that's it. MSRP was $73k and change.

Oh, and yes, the GS comes with Run Flat tires. I had a 2012 GS with the stock run flats, and drove it year-round with no problems...avoiding snow, ice and rain, of course. I hear a lot of folks say their stock run flats are down right dangerous in cold (but dry) weather...never understood that. Just keep your foot out of it in cold weather, and it drives like any other car. 2019s are still being produced, with no announcement of when they'll stop, but I suspect you've got months to a year before they end production.
Great information. Thanks for your time. When the conditions are right, I'm a spirited driver. I'd like to think I know when the conditions are right. LOL I may check into that GMS discount. Good deal !
Old 08-09-2018, 01:32 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ersatz928
Congrats!! ....and you chose the correct transmission (M7) for a high performance car....
Thanks! I enjoy the manual in my 370Z and I've driven nothing but manual my whole life. I thought it might be nice to relax a bit more but it's no big deal. (my GF hates being jerked around when I sometimes shift gears with gusto... LOL)
Old 08-09-2018, 01:34 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gbranham
BTW...my dealer is Hendrick Chevrolet in Shawnee Mission, KS.
The same Hendrick as here in Georgia? That guy gets around !

Get notified of new replies

To Looking To Buy 2019 GS (questions)

Old 08-09-2018, 02:21 PM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Slynky
Thanks for your informative reply. I'm from NC (but out a bit west of Hickory). Yeah... no driving on salted roads (LOL) Always a pain waiting for a good rain to come along and wash all the brine off.
...and to add to the irony, forgot to mention in my first post, but I actually bought my C7 GS from Hendrick in Duluth last summer.

They were the closest forum dealer than had a GSCE in stock with M7 at the time, so I drove down with the 370Z, traded it in, and drove the GS back home. Coming from a 370Z M6 to the M7 in the Vette, one really nice feature is how the Active Rev Match is activated via the steering wheel paddles, rather than having to look down and find the button on the console near the shifter on the 370Z.
Slynky (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 04:44 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,999 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Not sure why you're looking to buy a GS? They're over $10,000.00 MORE than a Stingray. Not much actual car sizzle for all that $. Buy a ZO6, if you want an actual fast car, not one that just looks fast (gs.)

Best go-fast/performance buy for the $ is the Z51. You won't regret it!

Whatever you do, don't buy a stripped of goodies, 1LT. You'll regret going cheap when you slam your front splitter on a parking space stop or curb, because you don't have the front cameras.

Find and buy a heavily discounted C7 in-stock already at a dealership. Heavily is 15% to 20% or more. Get on the Internet and start shopping for one..

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 08-09-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Slynky (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 04:58 PM
gbranham
Racer

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Not sure why you're looking to buy a GS? They're over $10,000.00 MORE than a Stingray. Not much actual car sizzle for all that $. Buy a ZO6, if you want an actual fast car, not one that just looks fast (gs.)
...says the guy who, assuming the car in his avatar is his, neither stepped up to the car that only 'looks fast' or 'has mucho sizzle'. Sigh...

Last edited by gbranham; 08-09-2018 at 05:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking To Buy 2019 GS (questions)