Sponsored by:

How do YOU care for your finish?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 11:26 AM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts

+1000 on The RAG Company

You can also buy directly from their website. And they offer coupons quite frequently. Quick shipping and reasonable. Buy the Korean rags.

​​​​​​A good way to see swirls is to take a picture with your flash. It's gonna show you damage. This was the paint on my 2016 Genesis Coupe after 2 years of proper washing/care... It can be done!

Last edited by Sconn; 08-12-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:02 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
I have a California squeegee that I would be reluctant to use on Black but I've used it on my Graphite Grey Mercedes. What color is your Vette ? No scratches ?
Mine is Watkns Glen Gray, but I have also used the California Squeegee on my black cars, no scratches, BUT you do need to wipe the edge of the blade clean with your wet fingers every few swipes, as you dry the car, to ensure there is nothing abrasive.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:40 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by ersatz928
Mine is Watkns Glen Gray, but I have also used the California Squeegee on my black cars, no scratches, BUT you do need to wipe the edge of the blade clean with your wet fingers every few swipes, as you dry the car, to ensure there is nothing abrasive.
WGG is very close to the Mercedes color . I always do wipe the blade. Wish they still had WGG.That would have been my first choice as my Merc. Looks clean even after a rain .
Old 08-12-2018, 03:59 PM
Sellout
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I use https://www.elitefinishdetailing.com...egory/washmist
Old 08-12-2018, 09:57 PM
NoRuls
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

For those of you who use a leaf blower or power air dryer try blowing from the front towards the rear when drying the rear view mirrors. The rushing air over the mirrors will create a venturi effect and draw the water out of the mirror housing rather than blowing it in behind the glass. Hold the blower 4-6 inches away from the front of the mirror and watch it suck the rinse water out.
Ron

Last edited by NoRuls; 08-12-2018 at 09:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DWS44 (08-13-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 11:40 PM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by NoRuls
For those of you who use a leaf blower or power air dryer try blowing from the front towards the rear when drying the rear view mirrors. The rushing air over the mirrors will create a venturi effect and draw the water out of the mirror housing rather than blowing it in behind the glass. Hold the blower 4-6 inches away from the front of the mirror and watch it suck the rinse water out.
Ron
Huh...Thanks! I'll try it
Old 08-13-2018, 01:54 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

I've used WIZARDS brand, Mist 'N Shine for many years on my vehicles. That's all your C7 needs.......
Old 08-13-2018, 06:39 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

I haven't warmed up to the idea of a waterless wash or using a detail spray on a dusty car. There's bound to be... HAS to be particles capable of scratching paint sitting on the car that will get wiped across the surface before being captured within your wash cloth. If it looks like it's dusty then it likely has these particles on it. Now all is not lost. One thing working for you if this is your method, is the waterless soap or detail spray provides lubrication. Is it enough to prevent scratching? Maybe. Maybe not. We need and use this lubrication when claying the car, works then. But is that comparable to wiping dust and dirt across the paint?

Paint also has contaminates imbedded in the paint surface that doesn't wash off. Most of you know this. We use a clay bar or clay mitt to remove it. Did you know you can feel the contaminates? Put your hand inside a plastic bag, I use a Walmart bag, and gently wipe you're hand across clean paint. If you feel tiny bumps you need to clay bar or mitt. Mine feels slick as ice.

Attention to details when detailing is the key to showroom paint years down the road.

Last edited by Frodo; 08-13-2018 at 06:41 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:55 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Frodo
I haven't warmed up to the idea of a waterless wash or using a detail spray on a dusty car. There's bound to be... HAS to be particles capable of scratching paint sitting on the car that will get wiped across the surface before being captured within your wash cloth. If it looks like it's dusty then it likely has these particles on it. Now all is not lost. One thing working for you if this is your method, is the waterless soap or detail spray provides lubrication. Is it enough to prevent scratching? Maybe. Maybe not. We need and use this lubrication when claying the car, works then. But is that comparable to wiping dust and dirt across the paint?

Paint also has contaminates imbedded in the paint surface that doesn't wash off. Most of you know this. We use a clay bar or clay mitt to remove it. Did you know you can feel the contaminates? Put your hand inside a plastic bag, I use a Walmart bag, and gently wipe you're hand across clean paint. If you feel tiny bumps you need to clay bar or mitt. Mine feels slick as ice.

Attention to details when detailing is the key to showroom paint years down the road.
I use compressed air first to blow off the dust.Do you think that helps?
Old 08-13-2018, 07:25 AM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Never touch the car with a towel or rag always blow wash off with leaf blower.Ever time i come back home it is washed and detailed Only use ZYMOL products
Old 08-13-2018, 07:48 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by fake
Never touch the car with a towel or rag always blow wash off with leaf blower.Ever time i come back home it is washed and detailed Only use ZYMOL products
Ive used Zymol Cleaner Wax for years.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:33 AM
Sellout
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Frodo

I was worried about that before I finally gave in when my detailer acquaintance talked me into trying the washmist product. The trick is to very lightly brush the finish with a high quality microfiber towel for the first pass or two. This allows the product to lubricate the paint enough that even when my car is very dirty I'm still not introducing swirl marks.

My C7 has a few swirl marks in the paint from the dealership's activities before I bought it, but no new ones. My previous C6Z had no swirl marks on it when I bought it, and still had none when I sold it. I never washed that car with water.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:00 AM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

If you have water....why would anybody use a waterless wash product???????
Old 08-13-2018, 10:16 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

I had a black car for 13 years - they look great when clean but are only really clean for about an hour after washing, lol. They also look better when they're not yours, because when they're yours you look at it more closely and see every little flaw.

Key things to remember - never touch the car with anything when its dirty or dusty, you will scratch the car and you will see it big time on black.

The most important part of washing the car is the rinse, make sure you've rinsed it thoroughly before you do anything else. It gets most of the dirt off and lubricates the surface.

When/if you do touch the car, with a microfiber mitt, sponge, etc., make sure with your hand and eyes that there is nothing between the washing tool and the car or you're gonna end up with scratches. Use quality microfiber whenever possible.

The leaf blower drying method is great, helps eliminate the after wash water spot misery that will happen if you don't blow the water out of the nooks and crannies.

If you wax, do it in light coats.

Only wash your car in the shade, never in full sunlight.

Oh, and don't stare at your black car looking for imperfections in the sun... lol.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:19 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Three separate routines:

1) Annually: check for contamination and remove if necessary, then apply Gyeon Q2 Primer (finishing polish) with a DA, and then a coat of Gyeon CanCoat.

2) Then during the driving season, whenever car is dirty, water-spotted or more than the usual dust: Foam gun with any quality car foaming car shampoo, then a bucket wash using Gyeon Q2 Bathe+, blow dry. After dry, maybe a quick application of Polish Angel High Gloss as a sacrificial layer once or twice a year.

3) Light dust or after a pleasure drive: wipe down with a quality detail spray (or use kenotek) maybe use Chadwicks Triple Play on those areas that really get dirty like rockers and wheels.

Mine are fair-weather cars so most times it's just the wipe down routine.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:21 AM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 136 Posts

Feed them Typical Finnish dishes
  • Kaalikääryleet – cabbage rolls.
  • Game food. ...
  • Hernekeitto – pea soup, usually served on Thursday along with a dessert pancake.
  • Leipäjuusto, alternate names hiilikko and juustoleipä – a fresh cow's milk cheese.
  • Viili – a yoghurt-like fermented milk product.
  • Perunamuusi – Mashed potato, a common side dish.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:42 AM
CTPJ
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Spent the weekend detailing the exterior of my wife’s black ‘15 Z51 DD. Here’s what I did:
  1. Sprayed on Iron X
  2. Rinse with plenty of water
  3. Washed car with foam cannon
  4. Clayed they car
  5. Polished the car using a DA polisher with multiple grades of pads and polished
  6. Prepped the surface with CarPro Eraser
  7. Applied two coats of CarPro C-Quartz ceramic coating
  8. Applied one coat of CarPro Reload sealant
After 18 hrs over two days, here’s how it came out :

FZ1 (08-18-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To How do YOU care for your finish?

Old 08-13-2018, 11:10 AM
The Chev
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I use the protective layer of dirt method.

I've owned it since March and have yet to wash.

A good drive in the rain helps keep the excess dirt down.

Zero marks from dirt in the mitt or dirt in the chamois.
Carvin (08-14-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 11:20 AM
RossDowningChevrolet
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by CTPJ

Spent the weekend detailing the exterior of my wife’s black ‘15 Z51 DD. Here’s what I did:
  1. Sprayed on Iron X
  4. Clayed they car
  5. Polished the car using a DA polisher with multiple grades of pads and polished

Damn.....you busy next weekend. LOL. Beautiful job.

Ross Downing Chevrolet
Louisiana's #1 Corvette Dealer since 1992
985-345-1285

"PUTTING DREAMS IN DRIVEWAYS ACROSS AMERICA"

Join our Facebook Corvette community!

New Corvettes For Sale | Used Corvettes For Sale | About Us | Contact Us
Old 08-13-2018, 11:39 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by CTPJ

1. Sprayed on Iron X
  4. Clayed they car

Sweet Jesus that looks amazing - nice job.

Quick Reply: How do YOU care for your finish?