How I solved the front license plate problem

Old 08-11-2018, 05:21 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Foosh
My guess is that will change soon. With license plate readers becoming an ever important part of the nation's homeland security surveillance network, having a plate on the front and back as a requirement for more accurate pickup will become a reason to enforce more strictly. In metro DC, which includes all of MD and NoVA, it is very strictly enforced, license plate readers are everywhere, and, of course, the threat of terrorism is very high here.
Sorry, I’m not buying that as a valid reason since license plates are issued by states, not the federal government. 19 states don’t even issue front plates. No state or the federal government can require a front plate if a state doesn’t issue one no matter the “security” reasons for them.

Old 08-11-2018, 05:41 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Thanks for the civics lesson, but the feds do have a lot of leverage over the states when it comes to security matters. They generally cooperate when there is a good argument, and there is generally plenty of funding on security matters providing the incentive to do so. There is a very compelling argument here, which most state law enforcement officials will endorse.

I've been in DC for a long time and on Capitol Hill. I know how these things work.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:51 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I’m not arguing federal leverage Foosh. What I’m saying is that citing “homeland security” reasons for front plates doesn’t hold water when over a third of the states don’t even issue front plates. The federal government can’t require them to do so, nor can the federal government or a state prohibit vehicles from those states from driving in a state that issues front plates. VA, for example, can’t even issue a ticket to a car without a front plate from a state that does issue them, nor can the federal government. Licensure of vehicles is a state-by-state issue, not a federal one. I, for one, hope it stays that way.
The following users liked this post:
JimNeedsC7 (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 06:02 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Like I said, I understand very well what is within state and federal jurisdictions. While certain states don't issue front plates now, with a good enough reason and incentives, that could change, as could the emphasis on enforcement everywhere. Vehicles do travel, and we see plates from most of the states around here routinely.

A good example is the post-911 fed requirements effectively forced upon states for DLs that are more resistant to forgery, since that is our only form of national ID. Given the pressure, all states ultimately complied, even though DL issuance is purely a state matter. That was a homeland security initiative. The Dept. of Homeland Security told states their licenses would not be recognized by TSA as positive ID for air travel unless they complied with the new DL guidelines.

There are many ways for the fedgov to force states to change their laws.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-11-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:25 PM
syswayne
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 123vette456
Got a ticket for no front license in California. Took them 40 years to catch me but so be it. I took the standard GM grill front frame that comes with the "corvette" plate and mounted the frame as GM directed. ( By the way this all came with my C7 from GM) No drilled holes required. It just attached to the center of the front grill. Then I bent the license a little and two sided taped it over the "corvette" plate that attaches to the frame. Popped it in and done. Took it to be signed off and then removed the frame and plate with no harm done. No need to buy a fancy license plate holder and you can leave it on if you wish.
Did the same thing soon as I purchased my new C7 2016 I can take it off with my finger nails and push it right back on when needed
Old 08-11-2018, 09:46 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by JMII
I bought my C7 used from NJ and the previous owner had this:
https://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-...xoCR74QAvD_BwE

It attaches under the front bumper using the stock screws. Took me 2 minutes to remove since I don't need it in FL but I was impressed by the fitment. The bracket is made of heavy gauge metal not plastic and it seem really sturdy. Since it stands off the bumper slightly it didn't damage the paint. Mounts lower then the factory option so might be better for air flow.
As I live in Michigan (no front plate required) this is not an issue, but if I needed a front plate I would go with this or a similar item. My son who lives in New York State has something very similar on the front of his Dodge Dart--but it ddn't cost $76. I suspect you could bend this up from sheet metal for almost nothing.

BTW, I don't get the pain of having a front plate. It's the law, so why worry about it? (Along the same line I recently got my first oil change, and the guy at the dealership asked if I wanted the reminder sticker inside the windshield or not, as some Corvette guys don't like these. Really?)
Old 08-11-2018, 10:03 PM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

Ooooh a front license plate thread. I know what to do!

Old 08-11-2018, 10:05 PM
Null Pointer
Exception ID 10T
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 506 Likes on 333 Posts

Like I said, I understand very well what is within state and federal jurisdictions. While certain states don't issue front plates now, with a good enough reason and incentives, that could change, as could the emphasis on enforcement everywhere. Vehicles do travel, and we see plates from most of the states around here routinely.

A good example is the post-911 fed requirements effectively forced upon states for DLs that are more resistant to forgery, since that is our only form of national ID. Given the pressure, all states ultimately complied, even though DL issuance is purely a state matter. That was a homeland security initiative. The Dept. of Homeland Security told states their licenses would not be recognized by TSA as positive ID for air travel unless they complied with the new DL guidelines.

There are many ways for the fedgov to force states to change their laws.
If I declare my vette a sanctuary vette, then am I exempt from following federal laws?
Old 08-11-2018, 10:14 PM
vettenevodrvr
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom760
Here in CA the only height restriction for the front plate is that "the front license plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground"...

California Code, Vehicle Code - VEH § 5201

STO N SHO or Aeroplate mounts are acceptable options....

Here in CA not having a front plate is a simple fix-it ticket and is not considered a moving violation...

Sorry, but that is a negatory. There’s a little checkbox labeled “Not correctable” on the ticket. If you get a no-front-plate ticket, and the citing officer deems you’ve “abused” the law, box checked. Instead of $25, it becomes $197. In our case, the citing CHP officer was a “DB”, and cited us as non-correctable no plate. Only because he couldn’t prove any of his allegations: speeding, crossing double yellow line, etc., and was pissed off. We also had video proof to back us up, which pissed him off even more. Cited the other driver for same plus tint violation. This driver drives a C5 and had his plate hidden behind the cover. Cop wasn’t buying that or me having my plate stored in the hatch.

So moral of the story is: Not always a fix it ticket in good ol’ Krackifornia.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:43 PM
tadda
Le Mans Master

Received 6,798 Likes on 2,627 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by vettenevodrvr

Sorry, but that is a negatory. There’s a little checkbox labeled “Not correctable” on the ticket. If you get a no-front-plate ticket, and the citing officer deems you’ve “abused” the law, box checked. Instead of $25, it becomes $197. In our case, the citing CHP officer was a “DB”, and cited us as non-correctable no plate. Only because he couldn’t prove any of his allegations: speeding, crossing double yellow line, etc., and was pissed off. We also had video proof to back us up, which pissed him off even more. Cited the other driver for same plus tint violation. This driver drives a C5 and had his plate hidden behind the cover. Cop wasn’t buying that or me having my plate stored in the hatch.

Kinda sounds like having no front plate was the least of your worries...
vettenevodrvr (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 10:57 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

But you have smoking hot chicks everywhere unlike here
The following 2 users liked this post by rsvette12:
tadda (08-11-2018), vettenevodrvr (08-11-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 12:59 AM
123vette456
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 90 Posts

Yes but he cited you for "Not correctable" because he was pissed at you--not because you had past no front plate violations. When they call in your license do past offenses show up? If not be nice and should only be a fix it ticket.
vettenevodrvr (08-12-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 02:40 AM
Bob Paris
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,288 Likes on 1,046 Posts

It is not a moving violation since it is not a moving violation
Old 08-12-2018, 04:05 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoradoGS
Ooooh a front license plate thread. I know what to do!

Yeah, THAT...
Old 08-12-2018, 09:41 AM
vettenevodrvr
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 123vette456
Yes but he cited you for "Not correctable" because he was pissed at you--not because you had past no front plate violations. When they call in your license do past offenses show up? If not be nice and should only be a fix it ticket.
Not sure and do not intend to find out. But if had to venture a guess; yes it would show up. For this reason, I have the aeroplate mounted on the car.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:59 AM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Null Pointer
If I declare my vette a sanctuary vette, then am I exempt from following federal laws?
ALL Vettes are Sanctuary Vettes
Old 08-12-2018, 11:03 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

"Oh crap, did I forget? I was just a cars and coffee on the weekend displaying the car and I forgot to swap brackets!"

"This car only came with the European front bracket so I ordered the USA one but it hasn't come in yet"

34 years in and still no front plates! Except, ironically, on my old car that's exempt.

I'm 50 and have literally never been pulled over... and no tickets (obviously) and no accidents. I figure that should get me off at least once. I mean if I've been driving without being pulled over for the cop's entire life, that should be a gimme, right?

Last edited by davepl; 08-12-2018 at 11:09 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To How I solved the front license plate problem

Old 08-12-2018, 11:56 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

It is true, that if your car stays in the garage 99% of the time, and only comes out for cars and coffee on sunny weekends, there's very little exposure to front plate busts no matter where you live.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-12-2018 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:48 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by golden2husky
ALL Vettes are Sanctuary Vettes
OK, now that's funny.

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1

34 years in and still no front plates! Except, ironically, on my old car that's exempt.

I'm 50 and have literally never been pulled over... and no tickets (obviously) and no accidents.
Dave, if I said it once I've said it a million times: you're just not driving fast enough.
I figure that should get me off at least once. I mean if I've been driving without being pulled over for the cop's entire life, that should be a gimme, right?
Nope, will never work...cops have no appreciation for past performance.
In fact, as far as traffic enforcement goes, I don't think cops appreciate much of anything...except maybe other cops.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:50 PM
Ramler
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 156 Likes on 101 Posts

I also use the Sto-N-Sho, and vastly prefer it. It may technically not meet legal requirements for mounting height in some states, but I seriously doubt any except perhaps the most OC LEO would ever cite based upon or even be aware of that requirement. Those who enforce front plate laws just want to see a front plate.
I've run a Sto N Sho for 7 years with no issues. I have hit a couple of things in the road (tow strap buckle) and the plate holder saved me the cost of a new splitter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How I solved the front license plate problem