Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 09:38 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by hammong
Insurance companies do not offer these policies at a loss. Does that answer your question? Put your $400 in a mutual fund, and see if you can buy an extra wheel and tire in 5 years. I'd bet you can -- and so do they.
Usually, I agree with your comment because we should only insure those things that we can't afford to pay for out of pocket.
But I've got another reason that has worked well for me- If you think the insurer has seriously underpriced their product.
We've had the GM extended warranty on our three previous Corvettes and "made money" each time, in addition to the convenience factor when things break on road trips.
For the first time ever, we have wheel & tire insurance on our C7. In just over a year, we've had one bent wheel and one ruined tire, in separate incidents. Hasn't paid for itself yet but a good (bad?) start.
Not to mention our LTC insurance that we got originally at about 1/4 of the current price.
Most other insurance like appliances, etc; we decline.

So, the yes-no decision isn't always as simple as we would like.
The following users liked this post:
Mello Yello Maizey (11-09-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 09:45 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Tim Porreca

They have highly paid actuaries whose job it is to study loss ratios and make sure they will not lose money. Also consider if you do need to replace a tire you don’t need OEM factory new. Lots of take offs and better options in the For Sale forum. I bought a set of 4 OEM rims with tires for less than cost of insurance.
Depends on your situation. When we trashed an A/S Michelin near Death Valley, we needed a new tire in a hurry. Bought the nearest one we could find and let the insurance worry about the cost.
Since we use the car 15k+ miles per year on long road trips, we're more likely to be a thousand miles from home when trouble strikes.

Everyone's situation is different.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:47 PM
Silver C7
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 187 Posts

I disagree with posters who say it’s not worth it. While I bought the same five year coverage for 1200 bucks, I was more concerned about wheels. My base ‘16 Stingray is a daily driver, I’m coming up on two years of ownership and 30k miles. My insurance has already paid for itself from three flat tires. A screw, a nail and a inch and a half sliver of metal. The last two flats occurred in a span of two weeks. Without the insurance that’s money that has to be produced on the spot. With the insurance it’s a planned expense...I don’t know about you, but for me planned expenses are always more manageable.

My tire and wheel insurance also covers windshield damage and curb rash. When you get it you buy peace of mind. With our wide, soft traction friendly, low profile run flats, and all of our desire to push the limit a bit more on roads that aren’t close to track quality...it’s definitely worth it. If we drove in the pristine environment of Spring Mountain every day it would be an enormous waste of money (go and you’ll see what I mean)...but since we don’t...
Old 08-16-2018, 10:01 PM
Silver C7
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
$1200 dollars?

not if your keeping it a weekend toy..

as a daily driver its still pretty steep.

i daily mine to the tune of 12k miles a year over the past decade in NJ..

when i roll in and out of manhattan i tend to warp the wheels...the tires are fine..

around NJ even with the potholes...i manage to have no issues..

if your daily driving the car maybe...although used rims all four will be 1000 bucks on this for sale section of the site...all four new wheels can be had for 1400 bucks..

the tires rarely get hurt...

$800 yes..1200 no...and even then why bother,

either way good luck with the car.

jmo
JV...We drive a lot of the same roads...I-95, 80, 78. 287, 278, Garden State Pky, Routes 17, 46, 22 and in and around New York. There are plenty of hazards on those roads. The first year I owned my car I was doing the NYC run six days a week. Road hazards galore. I’ve cut that out, but there’s still plenty of junk to be sucked into our tires here in NJ. As I’ve posted before, my main concern was wheel damage, so far, with two sets, no bends, no rash. I’ve replaced three tires, two in the span of two weeks from screws, nails and the like. At 400 dollars a pop, my five year policy has paid for itself in two years. It’s about two things...fixed cost and peace of mind.

I hope your good fortune and enjoyment of your Corvette continue. I’m shopping extended warranty next...
Old 08-17-2018, 12:03 AM
SuperdadZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 246 Posts

Im also in NJ and have had my share of issues w daily drivers. I went with the wheel/tire package and hope I never have to use it but it feels good to have it.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:51 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

They offered me coverage today for my z06 for 5years for $700.

because mine isn’t a daily and I expect <35k miles in five years, it didn’t make sense to me
Old 08-19-2018, 12:28 PM
FZ1
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Parcival
They offered me coverage today for my z06 for 5years for $700.

because mine isn’t a daily and I expect <35k miles in five years, it didn’t make sense to me
Parcival, Who's the "they" in who offered you wheel and tire coverage 5 years @ $700? Why so much less than others posting here who say $1,200?
My C7 Stingray Vert was built last week and I'm awaiting shipment to my dealer, so I'll be confronted with these "insurance" decisions shortly. Good info like this will help me negotiate a better deal. Thanks.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, I've been reading in the forums about PPF Xpel and 3M to help protect the finish. Does anybody have experience ordering this through the dealer? Do dealers contract with the professional wrap shops to do the work or do they merely have "somewhat trained" mechanics in their own shop do it?
Lastly, my Vert is Blade Silver and I'm thinking that I might want to wrap the black rear bumper in 3M Silver if I can match it. Has anybody here tried that?
Old 08-19-2018, 12:51 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

One big difference in wheel/tire insurance is the way they deal with damaged wheels.

GM has a published bulletin saying they do not approve any work on aluminum wheels except repainting. No straightening, no machining, no welding, etc. Just replace the wheel.
I'm told the GM wheel insurance is quite expensive, and this could be the reason.

Most other insurance will try to fix a damaged wheel within certain limits, and we don't know what those limits are or how well the work is done.
We have a cheapo policy on our C7 Z51. When I found one chrome wheel slightly bent, they insisted on straightening it. I showed them the GM bulletin and they still insisted on straightening or nothing.
In this case, our local Corvette tech had inspected it and told me he would be comfortable with using this straightened wheel on his car because the bend was so minor. So I'm ok with it this time.

One of the car magazines did a long term test of the GS and had to straighten something like 4-5 wheels over the course of the test (and replaced another one that was too damaged), so they must believe it's safe if the bend is (relatively?) minor and the straightening is done properly.
Wheel & Tire insurance would have been a screaming good deal for them.

Choices, choices...

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 08-19-2018 at 09:59 PM.
FZ1 (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 01:01 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by FZ1
Parcival, Who's the "they" in who offered you wheel and tire coverage 5 years @ $700? Why so much less than others posting here who say $1,200?
My C7 Stingray Vert was built last week and I'm awaiting shipment to my dealer, so I'll be confronted with these "insurance" decisions shortly. Good info like this will help me negotiate a better deal. Thanks.
Also, I've been reading in the forums about PPF Xpel and 3M to help protect the finish. Does anybody have experience ordering this through the dealer? Do dealers contract with the professional wrap shops to do the work or do they merely have "somewhat trained" mechanics in their own shop do it?
Lastly, my Vert is Blade Silver and I'm thinking that I might want to wrap the black rear bumper in 3M Silver if I can match it. Has anybody here tried that?
the dealer Boardwalk Auto in Redwood (Bay Area CA) ... because I bought a Z - it was the same offer 15 mos ago when I bot a GS from them ... not sure it could be added l8r or not but I know they underwrite it themselves.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...he-z-club.html

Last edited by Parcival; 08-19-2018 at 01:04 PM.
FZ1 (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 09:39 PM
Deweyox
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

N o
Old 08-20-2018, 08:11 AM
toog
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FZ1
RE: Xpel, MacMulkin sends the cars out, they claim... In any event, I had my prior C6 wrapped in strategic places (with a 3M product, Xpel is better) and had the C7 done likewise. Stuff does a great job.
FZ1 (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 09:20 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Insurance is for catastrophic losses, not things that can happen everyday. I have been driving my 2014 for four years with no problems. That would have been a lot of premiums with no return.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:12 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

These policies are priced so the entity selling them makes a profit, which means on average, the person buying them is paying in more than they get out of it. So unless you are incredibly unlucky with wheels and tires, no, it's not a good purchase.

And these policies are huge money makers for the seller, so the buyer in most instances is getting hosed big-time.

Last edited by kennyjames21; 08-20-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:27 PM
z06vetteangel
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2017 Grand Sport 6600 miles -4 bent wheels

I am amazed at how many folks have this problem. I hit a shallow pothole with the driver's front wheel/tire at 70mph on NY Rt 17 last weekend and immediately got a pulsing vibration. Took it to the dealer thinking it was just one bent wheel. Upon diagnosis, tech said I had 4 bent wheels. I was in disbelief because I didn't have any vibration until last Saturday. I daily my Grand Sport, and I do the Long Island via NYC run most every weekend, but I don't recall hitting any major potholes that would cause all 4 wheels to bend. I owned my '03 Z06 for 14 years, drove it on NYC roads, and never had any problems with rims or tires. I too am now wondering if I should purchase wheel/tire insurance. It seems that this is a very common problem and I wish GM should do something about it. Perhaps offer stronger more durable replacement wheels for street driving at a minimum.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:05 PM
CardinalMan
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My GS has almost 4000 miles, I didn’t buy it when I bought the car but can you purchase this after. With roads in Mississippi and TN potholes are a thing you just learn to live with.
The following 2 users liked this post by CardinalMan:
Mello Yello Maizey (11-09-2018), z06vetteangel (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 01:58 AM
Mello Yello Maizey
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Mine is a road trip car. I've hit major potholes in the last 26K miles. The new GS may benefit from the policy. Who knows, but the miles I put on with road trips makes it worth my while.
z06vetteangel (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 07:02 AM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

I bought the wheel and tire insurance for my GS since it was only $529 for 5 years. Only need one nail near the sidewall in one of the tires and the policy pays for itself. I think the way the classify a replacement is if the tire can’t hold air.
z06vetteangel (11-09-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel/tire insurance worth it?

Old 11-09-2018, 08:20 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenmcp
My experience with Vettes is that the insurance is a good deal. Vette tires seem to attract all kinds of stuff. Every Vette I have owned has gotten a road hazard two or more times in a tire that could not be patched. My latest was an inch and a half piece of steak knife. Depending where you buy the replacement it would have been a $600 - $700 replacement. Bend a wheel and the cost goes up. When you buy insurance the insurance company is betting you will not have a problem and you are betting you will. So, go with how lucky you feel.
The insurance companies have to win more bets than they lose or else they go out of business. I only insure things that I cannot self fund or are required by law.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:32 AM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Extra Wheel & tire in 5 years

An extra wheel and tire in 5 years won't cut it. I have had 3 Michelin PSS tires replaced (without even a question) for roofing and siding nail punctures in about 5 months last year.
Roofs and siding on about 20+ houses in my neighborhood (one way in & out) last summer due to hail damage.

Originally Posted by hammong
Insurance companies do not offer these policies at a loss. Does that answer your question? Put your $400 in a mutual fund, and see if you can buy an extra wheel and tire in 5 years. I'd bet you can -- and so do they.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:48 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,483 Likes on 769 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

It can be far simpler and I had an insurance expert put this in perspective some years ago and this applies to any maintenance contract. Remember whatever they call these plans they are insurance policies. The general rule I was taught was that you should only buy insurance on things that could ruin you financially. If you can afford to pay out of pocket for the losss then you shouldnt buy an insurance policy. I have lived by this rule throughout my life and over a number of cars owned I would have never come out ahead buying car maintenance contracts. If it gives you peace of mind then that is a diiferent story. For some they like the comfort of it. The true test is to ask the sales person if you can comd back in 5 years and buy the policy. There is typically only one answer...no. The reason? Most new products are reliable and they know it and insurance is about risk; the older the product the more risk. There is a reason insurance companies turn some of the biggest profits of any industry. I had an uncle who owned a motorcycle dealer and he told me Yamaha charged him $25 fortheir maint policy yet he was required to charge $225 (this was in the 80s). He would not sell these as his dealer was in small town America and if anyone found out how much was being made he felt his business would be shunned.

just my$.02

​​​​

Quick Reply: Wheel/tire insurance worth it?