C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Radar Detector does everyone use?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 11:21 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by subieworx
Love to see the NoPhoto on cars. It was invented by a friend of mine. Great piece of tech.
Really, interesting.

I had it now for almost two years and since then I haven't got a photo camera ticket since and I used to get between 3-5 a year. Now I don't know if it's just a coincidence because I know they don't work during the day but I know for a fact that they work at night. I was going about 20 kms over the limit one night and I seen the flash of the black F150 parked on the side of the road (sob is always there) so I took note, it happened on a Wednesday, well usually about a week later you get the ticket in the mail....that was almost a month ago now and nothing so I know the No Photo works. It cost me 200 bucks with install and the ticket would've been at least 150. Next time you see your buddy tell him I say thanks and I hope he's made a lot of money of his great invention.

It should be noted that I don't speed all the time, at least not recklessly, I drive in a very safe manner, no accidents in the last 25 years but the occasional time that I do get caught (radared, photoed, whatever) I'm glad that I have measures to help me avoid getting tickets.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:05 AM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
Really, interesting.

I had it now for almost two years and since then I haven't got a photo camera ticket since and I used to get between 3-5 a year. Now I don't know if it's just a coincidence because I know they don't work during the day but I know for a fact that they work at night. I was going about 20 kms over the limit one night and I seen the flash of the black F150 parked on the side of the road (sob is always there) so I took note, it happened on a Wednesday, well usually about a week later you get the ticket in the mail....that was almost a month ago now and nothing so I know the No Photo works. It cost me 200 bucks with install and the ticket would've been at least 150. Next time you see your buddy tell him I say thanks and I hope he's made a lot of money of his great invention.

It should be noted that I don't speed all the time, at least not recklessly, I drive in a very safe manner, no accidents in the last 25 years but the occasional time that I do get caught (radared, photoed, whatever) I'm glad that I have measures to help me avoid getting tickets.
When I lived in Phoenix in the 1990's, they had those photo cameras in small SUV's parked on the side of the road. By law the cops had to tell you exactly where they were parked each day. It would be listed in the paper, and the local radio stations would tell you in the morning what street and block they were located. I could always spot them anyway. They also had speed cameras on the interstate, mounted on poles, but after a couple years they were ruled unconstitutional. In MO, they had to stop using red light cameras because they couldn't prove who was driving. They had to refund everyone's fines, and wipe all convictions off everyone's record.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:06 AM
subieworx
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
"No Photo" all by itself is cause to be pulled over, and its not legal anywhere in the United States.
You are incorrect and it is legal in all 50 states.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:25 AM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

After the abysmal failure of the Fuzzbuster, I went back to using my foolproof Radar Sentury with great success and have never looked back. Very satisfied, highly recommended.

Note its high tech antenna.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:39 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

"No Photo" all by itself is cause to be pulled over, and its not legal anywhere in the United States.
Pretty sure, like the other poster said, that this is false.

You live in Michigan part time you should know camera type devices here are illegal to issue citations (and therefore NoPhoto is mostly a moot point).

Unless you're trying to argue that it is a license plate obstruction (which it isn't).
Old 08-17-2018, 07:17 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
Pretty sure, like the other poster said, that this is false.

You live in Michigan part time you should know camera type devices here are illegal to issue citations (and therefore NoPhoto is mostly a moot point).

Unless you're trying to argue that it is a license plate obstruction (which it isn't).
There are cameras all over Houston.
Do you really think its legal to obstruct the reading of a license plate on a toll road ? Or through a red light camera ?
Don't fool yourself.
Your going to lose every single time.
By the way, anything on your plate is considered an obstruction, including a license plate frame.
The following users liked this post:
ZERRY 316 (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 07:18 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by subieworx
You are incorrect and it is legal in all 50 states.
Legal to possess it, just not legal to use it.
ZERRY 316 (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 08:46 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

Valentine 1 works best for me, great range and easily moved between all the cars.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:46 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by 2500 hd
I use the V1.
as "updated" ---again---which means a whole new unit.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:26 AM
flenn
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

R3 for me. Love it! I flip back and forth between Highway and Custom mode. I set up Custom to limit sensitivity to certain bands in light urban areas. It hardly ever falses and when it chirps, I can easily assess whether I need to react.

I haven't had a radar detector in years and hardly ever speed beyond the flow of traffic so I have no need for one in my daily. But the vette is different. It attracts attention from LEOs and even briefly exploring it's potential puts you at risk of a ticket. I feel SO MUCH safer having one in the vette. For highway use, I run Waze as well.

I ran a MirrorTap and thought about a Blendmount but didn't want to give up more of the limited visibility through the center of the windshield. I mounted mine above my head, next to the driver's side map light and love the location. It's out of the way but very easy to attach/remove when I leave the top off in a parking lot. I can flip down the visor and completely hide it as well.

Last edited by flenn; 08-17-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:37 PM
ZERRY 316
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by N05man
Good afternoon everyone. I was wondering if anyone here can recommend a really good radar detector. I have heard of two: The Valentine One and Rocky Mountain Radar. I was wondering if anyone has had personal experiences with either of these and if there are better tech out there.

Thanking you you in advance....
Radar detector are useless nowadays because of laser detectors. You ( I don't include myself because I never break any laws ) need a deflector or jammer or something to absorb the laser. They are on the market but are not legal in all states so stealth is needed when installing. Just saying.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:44 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by ZERRY 316
Radar detector are useless nowadays because of laser detectors. You ( I don't include myself because I never break any laws ) need a deflector or jammer or something to absorb the laser. They are on the market but are not legal in all states so stealth is needed when installing. Just saying.
Huh ???????
Old 08-17-2018, 09:50 PM
TSLAVette
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 157 Posts

All fully upgraded / updated V1's in my cars. Only way to fly!
Old 08-17-2018, 09:51 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by flenn
R3 for me. Love it! I flip back and forth between Highway and Custom mode. I set up Custom to limit sensitivity to certain bands in light urban areas. It hardly ever falses and when it chirps, I can easily assess whether I need to react.

I haven't had a radar detector in years and hardly ever speed beyond the flow of traffic so I have no need for one in my daily. But the vette is different. It attracts attention from LEOs and even briefly exploring it's potential puts you at risk of a ticket. I feel SO MUCH safer having one in the vette. For highway use, I run Waze as well.

I ran a MirrorTap and thought about a Blendmount but didn't want to give up more of the limited visibility through the center of the windshield. I mounted mine above my head, next to the driver's side map light and love the location. It's out of the way but very easy to attach/remove when I leave the top off in a parking lot. I can flip down the visor and completely hide it as well.
I'm such a fan of the R3 that I bought an R1 for the back window of my "speeding" car.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:54 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by MlwYlw
All fully upgraded / updated V1's in my cars. Only way to fly!
I used to run the Valentine. Its a great product. I wouldn't hesitate even one second to run a tank of fuel though my car at 100 mph with the Valentine.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:54 PM
ZERRY 316
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

Huh ???????
detectorS
Old 08-17-2018, 10:01 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

detectorS
????

Get notified of new replies

To What Radar Detector does everyone use?

Old 08-17-2018, 10:06 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

Smug attitude much?

I'm sure you've broken a law at some point, mostly because we have so many obscure laws it's impossible to keep track.

Also LIDAR is not as widespread as you think.
owc6 (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 10:15 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Ok, I'm going to say it: that's bullshit.

On so many levels .

You have no idea what you are talking about on any level.
JerryU (08-20-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 10:17 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

LIDAR is typically used in high density traffic areas where its not really helpful to speed anyway.
Your not helping yourself by blasting up to 95 for five seconds and then letting off again.
I call that return free risk.
Speeding is a planned event for people that are truly good at it.
Those that know what I'm talking about also know that instant on radar and catching up to a moving police car at night are the two biggest risks you face.

Quick Reply: What Radar Detector does everyone use?