Sponsored by:

The "little options"

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 01:14 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by Mayor111
Forget all of them - spend the money on either a 2LT or 3LT and for certain the Z51 package is a huge bang for your buck... If a new base Vette is all you can afford, maybe look into a used one that's a year old. No one seems to ever drive their C7's so you can easily find one with under 10k miles that's ALOT less money than new (let someone else take the depreciation hit)...and you can get one fully loaded too... Just food for thought!! Good luck!
The only way to get a new loaded one, AND cheap - he'll have to find an existing one in-stock @ a close out discounted price. A new '16, '17, or '18. Then, he's going to have to accept how it is equipped. And that, is where people here are breaking down and not getting them how they would have wanted it equipped had they ordered one. The guys that are buying the automatic transmissions and 1LT trim packages, that really did not want them, but went ahead and bought anyway. Many of them are regretful, but are too prideful to admit they made a mistake openly. Very unfortunate. Buying used is a huge crap shoot. Too many things can go wrong, with no recourse. More regrets.

It's refreshing to get a guy seeking advise here with little or no budget trying to fill up his 6 car garage, with 3 to go, and he's open for a ZO6, right out of the shute!

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 08-15-2018 at 01:57 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:32 AM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,216 Likes on 3,459 Posts

I cannot tell you "how popular" any of the options are on your list. But, who cares; if you like any or all and they fit into your budget (as stated) then get them and don't look back!
Old 08-15-2018, 03:08 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

^^^ I agree with the above poster. There is no data available on how popular these options are. It is what value to you these options are. All are overpriced. If you like painted calipers then order them. When you consider the overall price of the car though these amenities you listed are small potatoes.

Last edited by joemessman; 08-15-2018 at 03:08 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:57 AM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

There are only 2 option blocks that will literally change the way you think about corvettes: 1. Z06 2. ZR1. As porsche-savvy; the Z06 is like getting a 911 Turbo for the price of a 911 Carrera. Even the ZR1 is cheaper than a 911 Turbo! But here is the true Corvette beauty: I bought a new (last year's model ) C7 Z51 convertible with $15K of options, for $1500 less than the MSRP of a new base 1lt coupe! The secret is buying last years vette models sitting on the lot on clearance. You can't do that with Porsche, but it is simply yearly clearance business as usual for buying a corvette.

Prior performance is no guarantee of future results; but the most popular old corvettes in resale are the ones with the biggest horsepower motors; NOT the ones with a base motor but loaded to the gills with frou-frou optons. Somehow I don't believe tomorrow's collector is going to pass by a base model 1LZ Z06 in favor of a smaller horsepower-motored Stingray with two PC-cooling fans located under the seats (option pkg 2LT)

But if options are your thing, after perusing the Porsche options catalog, bout the size of a Sears-Roebuck Wish Book; Vettes are a bit of a letdown because GM focuses on ease of production line assembly, NOT owner preferences for factory-personalization of their dream cars. Hence the 3 level option bundles.

FWIW, choose side skirts, either dealer-installed, or after market, to keep the rocks from hitting your rocker panels/fenders from the ultra-sticky competition tires that Corvettes come fitted with from the factory.

Colored stitching upgrade is available for $2.49.
The stitching option is of interest to me but I can't seem to find it.

Last edited by SilverGhost; 08-15-2018 at 04:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Spasetrucker (09-30-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 07:23 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke-44

Interesting.

Chevrolet claims 17 hp on the option detail sheet. Sounded like cheap factory approved hp to me, that's why I selected it. I'm thinking now I'll delete it. Thanks.
I believe it's rated at 14hp on the Z06 and zero on the LT1 cars. It's not going to be noticeable on the Z06.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:31 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Hi Luke..If you get a 2lt GS, than you can probably sell some other toy, as you won't be driving them very much after you get the C7... Just saying...

The rest of the stuff you can get later if you want it. it's all bolt on stuff.

Take some of that money and get the nose, mirrors, rockers, and behind the rear wheels, wrapped with clear bra film... (at a minimum)
Old 08-15-2018, 08:08 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

GM will thank you for ordering those "little options" as they are all high profit items. Good move to get a 2LT instead.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:54 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Red seat belts $395
Body color z51 spoiler
These are the only options that would be tricky to add later. Everything else is what I would consider a bolt-on style mod or just an accessory you add yourself. For example I painted the brake calipers on my previous car (Nissan 350Z) and thus was able to get a color Nissan never offered (orange metallic). You could even do the spoiler yourself but it requires removing the rear bumper, drilling holes, getting a new spoiler painted - its a fair bit of work so adding it from the factory makes sense. Floor mats from the dealer? Never!
Old 08-15-2018, 03:08 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,699 Likes on 5,594 Posts

To each their own of course, however I don't get the red seat belt thing unless your seats are red. I mean it's not like seat belts are a beautiful and cool design feature that beg to be highlighted.
They are a blah utilitarian but necessary apparatus. Personally I want them to blend in and draw the least attention as possible.

Thanks for the warm welcome Joe. It's not a case of being impressed with the savings, just making sure I got a built in charger, having read battery access isn't great. The previous posters cleared this up for me better than the Chevrolet.com website and I'm glad I asked as it wasn't what I thought it was. Asking a question on the charger option for a new Corvette as my 3rd toy car to fill my 6 car garage hopefully doesn't disqualify me as "Corvette material" but overcoming some of the stereotypes of some Corvette owners is something I've had to work on. No disrespect meant, after all we all share a passion for the C7.

Steve, you totally read my mind on the color - blade silver, red calipers, black interior. The red belts remind me of my old Porsche RSA blue seatbelts in a black interior which always got a reaction. I think the combo as shown below is awesome!

The stitching option is of interest to me but I can't seem to find it. I assumed it was a different model or higher trim level.

Does anybody know where it is on the Corvette build site? I'd like to see what that looks like. I've gone through the build steps a few times now and must be skipping right on by it.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:10 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
No disrespect meant, but if you're that hard up to be impressed by saving "$49.00," on a battery charger on a car that lists for $60,000.00 +/-, you're not new Corvette material. You're much better off buying a used one.
LOL, seriously? You have to be joking in most of your posts...

If not, not wanting to spend an extra $50 on a charger just to have a corvette logo on it doesn't make someone 'not new corvette material' it just makes them 'not a moron'.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:22 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Silver Ghost's post speaks to me in numerous ways. The heavy horsepower speaks volumes in history!

I did exactly what he did in spirit, and got ALL of my options/upgrades for the MSRP of a 1LT, by finding a loaded up 3LT convertible with MSRC, at the lowest possible price. Imagine, a 2017 C7, heavily discounted AND BOUGHT IN 2017! My options and upgrades were basically thrown in for free.

If you're a value buyer, you won't have to settle for a stripped of goodies 1LT, But, it's all up to you!
Old 08-15-2018, 03:25 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
LOL, seriously? You have to be joking in most of your posts...

If not, not wanting to spend an extra $50 on a charger just to have a corvette logo on it doesn't make someone 'not new corvette material' it just makes them 'not a moron'.
LOL! Seriously?

Try some reading comprehension, before posting!
Old 08-15-2018, 03:53 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

IMO one of the enjoyable parts of buying a new car is customizing it with "goodies" that can be easily installed after delivery by researching and pinging the CF gurus to find what looks good and are the best value... It also spreads the expense out over time. For the build,

Performance air intake $690 - WAIT
Battery protection package $100 - WAIT Better options available
Painted calipers $595 If you feel the need
Underhood stingray liner $280 WAIT
Body color z51 spoiler $600 WAIT
Aero panel (front spoiler) $175 WAIT
Molded splash guards $220 WAIT
Red seat belts $395 Perhaps - Unsure what's available aftermarket
Premium floor mats $165 WAIT
Door sill plates $275 WAIT
Personalized plaque $200 NO
Cargo mat with logo $205 WAIT
Storage bag for roof panel $130 NO

Last edited by jimmbbo; 08-15-2018 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:00 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Interesting.

Chevrolet claims 17 hp on the option detail sheet. Sounded like cheap factory approved hp to me, that's why I selected it. I'm thinking now I'll delete it. Thanks.
”N/A” per Chevrolet on the LT1, 11 on the LT4, 17 on the LT5

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2018/...take-ncm-bash/
Old 08-15-2018, 04:11 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

In summary I'm curious how popular these "little options" options are, or aren't. Thanks in advance

Performance air intake $690 If a Z06 yes for power, if not than you'll get a sucking sounds at WOT. I added an aFe low restriction cleanable filter system and get noise and some power.)
Battery protection package $100 (No by the same brand and ~model for $60 on Amazon.)
Painted calipers $595 (I like my red calipers on a white car.)
Underhood stingray liner $280 (I wouldn't)
Body color z51 spoiler $600 (I like my black one on my Grand Sport with Stage 2 aero package)
Aero panel (front spoiler) $175 (Hmm, not sure what that is I have the $2995 Stage 2 aero package that includes full length CF side skirts and CF spliter with Stage 2 Winglets.
Molded splash guards $220 (If base car or Z51 OK, if GS or Z06 get the ACS front splash guards instead, they are wider.)
Red seat belts $395 (Like mine with red interior)
Premium floor mats $165 (I have plush Lloyds Mats that have a thicker pile.)
Door sill plates $275 (I swapped mine from my 2014 Z51 to my Grand Sport. By genuine GM cheaper on Net.)
Personalized plaque $200 (Not something I would want)
Cargo mat with logo $205 (Not something I would want as I have a Vette logo fender mat I use as a spoiler protector when needed. It's sits flat on the GM floor when not in use as rear protector)
Storage bag for roof panel $130 (Not unless taking out of the car-I never do.)

All the above are obviously opinions. Now here is a list of mods I have!

• OEM Brake Pad Replaced with Carbotech 1521 pads,
• CAGS Eliminator,
• ASC front; GM rear splash guards,
• GM Jake wheel center caps,
• Wheel Locks,
• OEM valve stem caps replaced with Jake caps,
• Jack Pads & Lug Guides from Reverse Logic
• Black Jake emblems on rear body sides,
• Grand Sport Cue Ball shift ****,
• Blendmount mirror wire for Passport Max, added tether,
• Mounted Garmin GPS in Cubby on fabricated bracket,
• Lloyds Stingray plush floor mats,
• Stingray sill plates replace OEM Corvette,
• Black plastic door panel guards, • Rubber bib for gas filler,• Scrivet plug in gas door lock prevents from sticking shut,
• Deer whistles,
• Blind spot mirror,
• Adrenaline red upper dash panel (makes 2.5 LT),
• Adrenaline red passenger grab handle (part of 2.5 LT)
• Red Plastic Trim oh Driver’s door matches dash & Passenger door
• Red passenger seat belt pad (stops buckle rattle on seat back),
• Red Jake vinyl decal for back of seats,
• Red Jake rear fascia/spoiler protector (i.e. fender pad),
• Jake key chain/red silicone FOB cover,
• C7 water bottle/glued cup insert to make spill proof,
• Window Valet,
• Ballistic nylon folding carrier (for groceries!),
• 4 LED bulbs for license plate and rear hatch,
• Front ZL1 Tow hook , Rear Tow Hook eBay,
• Novastretch bra & snaps for Stage 3 winglet & mirror covers
• Magnetic oil drain plugs,
• FANGS for skid pads,
• Splitter protector by Scrape Armor
• Stage 3 winglets, (replaced Stage 2 winglets),
aFe Low Restriction Cotton Air Filter system,
• Elite Catch Can,
• Stainless alternator cover,
• Stainless engine fuse box cover,
• Stainless brake fluid reservoir cover,
Rear Diffuser
MGW Shifter

Once you start lots of aftermarket "stuff" to add!

Last edited by JerryU; 08-15-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:34 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

LOL! Seriously?

Try some reading comprehension, before posting!
Tell me diapers, what part did I not understand?
Old 08-15-2018, 05:27 PM
I Fly Low
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

No disrespect meant, but if you're that hard up to be impressed by saving "$49.00," on a battery charger on a car that lists for $60,000.00 +/-, you're not new Corvette material. You're much better off buying a used one.
A buck's a buck. For most of us, if we ignored the small stuff, we couldn't afford the big stuff.

Get notified of new replies

To The "little options"

Old 08-15-2018, 05:35 PM
JNorthstar
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

I have the following "little options"

Body Color Spoiler $650.00
Custom Caliper Color - Red - contrast nice with the black wheels
Safety Belt Color, Red - match the seats

I didn't order the car, purchased as equipped.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:49 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

I absolutely disagree.

There is simply no excuse to fork over $100 to GM (battery tender) for something you can buy aftermarket (that is every bit as good) for $30
Old 08-15-2018, 06:18 PM
Null Pointer
Exception ID 10T
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 506 Likes on 333 Posts

If you really want the air intake, having it installed as a factory or dealer installed option won't void sections of your warranty. YMMV when installing aftermarket air intakes.
You sound like a candidate for a Z06 or ZR1 so you may have later regrets foregoing the extra HP.
Good luck with your purchase.
These guys will spend all your money if you let them.

Quick Reply: The "little options"