Sponsored by:

The "little options"

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 08:56 AM
Zaphod B
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
No disrespect meant, but if you're that hard up to be impressed by saving "$49.00," on a battery charger on a car that lists for $60,000.00 +/-, you're not new Corvette material. You're much better off buying a used one.

Last edited by Zaphod B; 08-16-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:11 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,362 Likes on 788 Posts

Joe, why are you like that? Bullied in school?
Old 08-16-2018, 02:25 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Luke, the most popular options are the options you want. I agree with Steven (Bell), Many can be bought aftermarket at better prices. You can also check the "Member Marketplace" on the forum. You may find OEM take-offs at an even better prices. One of the most fun things about a Corvette is making it your own by installing mods you like. Good luck, and post pics when you get that baby home.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:42 PM
mtaxman
Burning Brakes

Received 335 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by c54u
Painted calipers $595

Body color z51 spoiler $600

are a must for me as they look good on the car.

Agree
Old 08-16-2018, 09:35 PM
Luke-44
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks to everyone who responded, its been very very informative reading the replies and the advice will not be ignored. Seems to me the problem with looking for a used C7 (which is where I started) is when you mentally settle on a certain interior and exterior color combo, a transmission choice, a body style etc and then go shopping it seems impossible to get a match up. That, plus it seems the C7 holds its value extremely well, so you end up saying "well at that price maybe I should go with a new car and get exactly what I want". I'm sure I'm not the first forum member to go through it.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:00 PM
Makitso
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 124 Posts

You asked and I didn't see it answered, the red or yellow stitching is only available with the 3LT option and includes
matching red or yellow shifter paddles. It is a $395 option and can be found under interior options. GLWP
The following users liked this post:
Luke-44 (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 11:14 AM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke-44
Thanks to everyone who responded, its been very very informative reading the replies and the advice will not be ignored. Seems to me the problem with looking for a used C7 (which is where I started) is when you mentally settle on a certain interior and exterior color combo, a transmission choice, a body style etc and then go shopping it seems impossible to get a match up. That, plus it seems the C7 holds its value extremely well, so you end up saying "well at that price maybe I should go with a new car and get exactly what I want". I'm sure I'm not the first forum member to go through it.
Trust me, most all of us go through this every time we buy. For me color is usually the hardest choice.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 08-17-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:06 PM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 155 Posts

do the splash guards yourself. Takes about a minute per wheel. Will save over $100. I only do options that I can't do myself. If its an accessory or easy to install part, look for it on the web and save some money

Last edited by Frosty; 08-17-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:15 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,617 Likes on 6,624 Posts

FWIW, that is why I ordered all 5 of my Vettes and had Bowling Green build e acolytes what I wanted. Including all those “little” options that are hard to do aftermarket.

My Grand Sport
Easy to buy, no hassle or haggling with a dealer. Knew what I wanted and a 10 minute call to Kerbeck got it on order. Since they are the largest Vette dealer, often selling 1200 a year they order cars all the time. That is the quickest you’ll get one built. If an option or part is “constrained’“ to say 20% of all Dealer orders (you can look up what that means) and they are ordering so many you’ll also be likely to get it quickly!

Their prices for an ordered red car will be about the same as the ~200+ they usually have in stock. They are about the best prices you’ll find. In my Grand Sport case it was shipped from Bowling Green to a dealer 30 miles away who accepted what is called Courtesy Delivery. GM will ship to any Chevy dealer at no extra cost. In my case that distributor did it for $100 and the service department gets paid by GM for the prep. They also got paid (per the service manager) by GM for installing my Stage 2 aero splitter and full length side skirts. 6
Old 08-17-2018, 01:23 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

For some reason I thought this was a prewired "built-in" setup, where I could just plug an extension cord into the car for winter storage time. I figured it was a bargIn as I understand battery access is difficult.
Buy a Ctek 3300 for $60 (same unit sans logo) or a Battery Tender Plus or Jr. with a lighter adapter. I used my beat-up 13-YO BT+ on my C6 (no lighter connector) and first C7 and it worked fine. My current C7 had the overpriced stock unit included, so I now use it on the Vette and the BT+ on the truck. Also, a BT Jr. on the Harley which would likely work fine on any car at a lower price and a 5W BT Solar on my mower. A larger capacity Solar would work fine for long-term storage for a car, but not sure about the smaller 5W unit. Do your research, as there are lots of options.

Last edited by iclick; 08-17-2018 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:30 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
All the above are obviously opinions. Now here is a list of mods I have!
I think there are one or two items in the accessories universe you've missed, Jerry. Not sure what they are, but I just have a hunch.
Old 09-29-2018, 02:17 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
No disrespect meant, but if you're that hard up to be impressed by saving "$49.00," on a battery charger on a car that lists for $60,000.00 +/-, you're not new Corvette material. You're much better off buying a used one.
Hope the OP just realized what a d_ck some corvette owners can be. What a piece of crap thing to say.

To the OP, welcome to the corvette owner family.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:18 AM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,161 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Colored stitching upgrade is available for $2.49.
I have a torch red C7 with black interior coming. I wanted the red seats and red stitching but my wife doesn't like the red seats. So I bought some fabric-mate red dye markers and we will do the stitching ourselves. The red stitching alone is only available on the Zo6 and they want 400 bucks I think.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:28 AM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,161 Posts

Originally Posted by Mayor111
Forget all of them - spend the money on either a 2LT or 3LT and for certain the Z51 package is a huge bang for your buck... If a new base Vette is all you can afford, maybe look into a used one that's a year old. No one seems to ever drive their C7's so you can easily find one with under 10k miles that's ALOT less money than new (let someone else take the depreciation hit)...and you can get one fully loaded too... Just food for thought!! Good luck!
I love when guys with GS and Zo6 vettes say things like "if all you can afford" is a base Vette. I ordered a base Vette and I can afford a ZR1 if I so choose. We all have different ideas of what we want and don't want. For some like myself I plan on driving my Vette and going on trips with it. I want the most comfortable riding C7 available with the best fuel range. I have no plans on going to the track and things like tires and brakes are much cheaper to replace on the base models. Many of us don't need or require the higher performance trims and it's not about cost but more about what fits our needs.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:03 AM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

CF = hate club regardless of the topic. Hate on.
The following users liked this post:
aj98 (09-30-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 09:26 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by RACE U
Hope the OP just realized what a d_ck some corvette owners can be. What a piece of crap thing to say.

To the OP, welcome to the corvette owner family.
Not sure this was meant to be such a bad comment. Worrying about a $100 option on a 60k car ranks up there with Corvette owners asking if they can run regular gas instead of premium to save pennies a gallon.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:57 AM
rotarydad
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Getting ready to order our 2019 Arctic White/Red 2LT Convertible.
(If I can get any dealers to respond to my emails...)

Just wondering about the color painted calipers. Seems like $600 is a bit steep for red paint. Anyone paint their own?

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To The "little options"

Old 09-30-2018, 10:28 AM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

As a total newby to corvettes considering ordering my first vette, I have found a lot of good info with a lot of discussion centering around the big decisions - a base car or upgrade trim level, a z06, a Grand Sport etc, color, manual vs auto, etc which I have also found interesting.

But my question has more to do with the "little options", those that personalize the car but don't break the bank. I've run through my build as I'd like it, starting with a base car and then added the following, trying to keep below a $1k cost of a single option, <$5k in total.

So, setting the big questions aside, what say you all to a base car trimmed out as below ($3900 in options). Do most folks pass on these items, are they very popular no brained that everyone selects, or does it usually just fall to what the dealer chose to order for his stock?

In summary I'm curious how popular these "little options" options are, or aren't. Thanks in advance

Performance air intake $690
Battery protection package $100
Painted calipers $595
Underhood stingray liner $280
Body color z51 spoiler $600
Aero panel (front spoiler) $175
Molded splash guards $220
Red seat belts $395
Premium floor mats $165
Door sill plates $275
Personalized plaque $200
Cargo mat with logo $205
Storage bag for roof panel $130
IMHO, YMMV and all the standard disclaimers:

The roof storage bag is quite helpful IF you get the dual roof package. Gives you scratch/damage resistance when you have the 2nd roof some place other that the back of the car.

The base floormats are plain black. The cost options are logo’ed. Yes, you can get them through Lloyd’s, etc - I got them to throw in the stingray logo ones as part of the sale.

Splash guards do what they advertise. I added mine after the fact for a bit less than what they are asking.

I like the look of the z51 spoiler, but did not get it. Would like to add it now, but hesitant on a self install.

THe car I was looking at already had red calipers. Was ambivalent, but have grown to really like them. Makes the color pop.

Battery tender: My car sometimes sits for over 2 weeks at a time. Still starts w/o a problem,

Plaque: nice touch, but you’ll have to replace if you ever sell the car.

the rest: Eh. Personal taste.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:31 AM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by rotarydad
Just wondering about the color painted calipers. Seems like $600 is a bit steep for red paint. Anyone paint their own?
Watch some videos and see if your comfortable with the procedure. I painted the calipers on my previous car... it was easy and the results were pretty good. Based on what I learned when I paint the next set they should come out even better. Another option is to just buy or trade with a forum member here. One more thing to consider is getting refurbs from Rock Auto with a core exchange it drops the price and all you is bolt them on, but then a brake fluid flush is required.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:10 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,953 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSC7VETTE
I love when guys with GS and Zo6 vettes say things like "if all you can afford" is a base Vette. I ordered a base Vette and I can afford a ZR1 if I so choose. We all have different ideas of what we want and don't want. For some like myself I plan on driving my Vette and going on trips with it. I want the most comfortable riding C7 available with the best fuel range. I have no plans on going to the track and things like tires and brakes are much cheaper to replace on the base models. Many of us don't need or require the higher performance trims and it's not about cost but more about what fits our needs.
You not only misread my the point behind my post, but I dont own a GS or a Z06...but thanks for input... Ill also add this - if you truly could afford a ZR1 (and I dont mean out $1000 down on a $139,000 loan)...then you would never just buy a base Vette. Nothing wrong with a base Vette...but dont say something stupid to justify your purchase...

Quick Reply: The "little options"