Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summer vs. all season tires question

Old 08-15-2018, 03:20 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

Buy what you want, but IMHO the statement this guy made is BS. Corvettes handle fine in the rain with summer tires, but just leave the nannies on. Now when temps drop to just above freezing, that is a different matter.

Originally Posted by i3eezenotch
The guy I spoke with on Discount Tire Direct (they are always awesome, by the way) mentioned that summer performance tires are unsafe in the rain -- if uthat's the case, it may lead me away from them only because I do want to be able to drive it in the rain when I am back in Philly...after all, it rains a fair amount.

I appreciate your thoughts!

Old 08-15-2018, 03:34 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,978 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Rain, or wet surfaces have nothing to do with judging Summer only tires. It is temperature, and that tire's tread design that will affect rain/wet surface driving.

The BIG advantage to Summer only tires, remains with how well they perform especially in warm racing situations, be it street racing, or track racing. That's it. 👍

The bottom line is that with the ASes, your margin of safety is increased in nearly every ambient temperature you may face on the low end.

To reiterate; if and when you're street/track racing, there's no question that the PSSes, will give you an
​​​​​​​edge.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 08-15-2018 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:56 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodson
It's not about out -driving the all season tires. It's about feel. I don't like tire squirm, lazy turn-in, etc.
I can assure you if you drive a C7 on AS3+ tires, you won't complain about tire "tire squirm" or "lazy turn-in."
The following users liked this post:
Woodson (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 08:59 PM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,147 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by Rohey
I am surprised they said that as most summer tires are actually better in the rain than A/S. Its the cold snow and ice where the A/S excel . My C7 is my daily driver in Washington for 8 months of the year and it rains "a little" in Seattle. However once it gets cold and nasty I switch over to the 4X4 truck for the daily driver . So I think your SUV idea of the philly winters is a good one.
I had pilot super sports on my during the crazy rains of 2017 in California. They are not even close to as good in the rain as the A/S 3+ that I have now.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:34 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by kenownr
Stay with the AS/ Michelins. JMO, but I think back in Philly, I'm pretty sure the AS tires will overall be a better choice for year round driving.
these are great tires.

I have them on my 19;20 inch z51 rims..

work great in the summer too.

i do put smow pirelli tires on from december to april.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:04 AM
GILSWHO
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by i3eezenotch
hey guys, i have a '16 z51. I put michelin a/s 3 on the car when i first got it because it was february in philly and i could barely get around on the tires it came with in the cold. Now i live in california and it's time for new tires. I plan to move back to philly in the summer, but i will also likely be getting an old suv for winter driving when i get back there anyway. Debating if i should get another set of all seasons or if i should get summer tires or something in between. The guy i spoke with on discount tire direct (they are always awesome, by the way) mentioned that summer performance tires are unsafe in the rain -- if that's the case, it may lead me away from them only because i do want to be able to drive it in the rain when i am back in philly...after all, it rains a fair amount.

I appreciate your thoughts!
i live in the philly suburbs. I also have a 2016 z51. I put the all season michelins on a second set of rims so that i could drive on the nicer winter days. They are much quieter and handle as good as the summer tires on the street. I just use the summer tires on track days and during the summer months.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:05 AM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,024 Posts

I'm in Southern New Jersey and have had both the original Summer Only tires and the AS/3+ all weather tires. The Summer Only tires have a buttery smooth feeling and really grip the road nicely as long as the temps are above 40 degrees. The AS/3+ are a bit noisier and slightly rougher riding but are good for temps under 40. What I didn't really consider was that when it's cold, there is usually brine and salt on the roads from the winter weather and I really don't want that getting all under my vette so I'm probably not going to drive the vette too much in the cold weather months anyway. Having said that, I will probably stick with the OEM summer only tires going forward as it's really only Jan/Feb part of March and possibly part of December when I won't be driving the vette. Rain was never a factor with the summer only tires...I've always found them to grip the road as well as any other tire in the rain and I wouldn't drive aggressively with any car in the rain regardless of tire.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:20 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,978 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Originally Posted by spireland
I had pilot super sports on my during the crazy rains of 2017 in California. They are not even close to as good in the rain as the A/S 3+ that I have now.
Xcellent testimonial! 👍

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Summer vs. all season tires question