Sponsored by:

A couple of questions from a new member

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 11:10 PM
DC_Art
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Default A couple of questions from a new member

I'm trying to figure out exactly what I want to order next year (for museum delivery) as far as an Elkhart Lake Blue M7 GS. I had planned on a 3LT, but I've heard of the problems with the 3LT dash pad. Has this been corrected by GM, or are new 3LTs apt to experience the same problems?
Secondly, how does one recognize a "certified Corvette dealer"? I've seen the requirements, but have been unable to finds any kind of identification, including my local dealer.

Thanks for helping the newbie,

Art
Old 08-15-2018, 01:23 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,285 Likes on 13,961 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Moved over to C7 General.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:37 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

I bought a new 2017 C7 with the 3LT trim level. I'm extremely glad I did. It literally has ALL the bells and whistles of options included on it. I've had no trouble with my dashboard. The softer, smoother leather of the 3LT, along with a treasure trove of goodies you will use every day, is hands down definitely worth the 3LT option. .

Ponder a lot, read a lot, shop a lot, and ask a lot of Qs on how to equip your new ordered Corvette. I did a lot of deliberations on how I would have mine equipped. Over a period of months while I was looking for the right deal, I had adequate time to crystallize those factors in my mind. If you rush into an order, you're not going to be happy with your decision later on.

A certified Corvette dealer? Have no idea what that means. I've never heard of it. Sounds like a marketing gimmick to me. If it's a Chevrolet dealer, then it's a Corvette outlet too.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 08-15-2018 at 01:42 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:34 AM
Makitso
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 124 Posts

I would err on the side of caution and go with a 2LT interior rather than assume that issue has been resolved and risk
having the interior gutted to replace a failed 3LT dashboard. If you order a 2LT with the PDR\Nav option you will get
all the same "bells and whistles" and save $3500. I get my enjoyment driving the car vs. fondling the dashboard.
This is what Tadge has to say regarding dealer certification -
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-process.html
Old 08-15-2018, 04:14 AM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

how does one recognize a "certified Corvette dealer"?
ASK your dealer. The good starter questions are: does the dealership have the Hunter Touchless road force tire machine for tire changing on the 20 inch wide rims? Does the dealer have the (expensive) GM tool used to measure the rear camber of the vette's wheels for adjustment purposes. Ask to meet your dealership's authorized Corvette technicain. You'd be surprised at how these questions can separate the Chevy dealership with dollar expenditures necessary for fixing a customer's C7, and those that have to refer your car to another Chevy dealership with the proper tools.
The following 2 users liked this post by SilverGhost:
FZ1 (08-24-2018), repo czar (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 07:04 AM
trloh
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Just to clarify one of SilverGhost points on service. The road force machine is a balancer and the tire changer top of the line from Hunter is a Revolution model TCR1. With the right machines AND operators one can expect quality service. Tough to find the operators in each location.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:22 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Oh come on Joe.. The only difference between a 2lt and 3lt is the amount and kind of leather. (all other features and options are the same as a 2lt.) SInce I have a jet black interior, I didn't feel it was worth $4k over a 2lt. In my opinion, all of the other color options look stupid. Why not make the entire dash the color instead of just a splash?

A better question for the OP is do you want the comp seats or not? (how big a guy are you?) I mean, I'm 6'1" and 215 and they were tight in the back. (the only real difference).

If you aren't going to really track the car a lot, and I don't mean 2 or 3 times a year, there is ZERO reason to get the z07. There is no public road where you can use the normal car to it's potential without going directly to jail or endangering others. I mean really, while you may be working up a sweat thinking you are hauling azz, the car is really yawning at you. It's thinking, "is that all you got?" You will run out of talent long before you reach the limits of the stock Z51 or GS..

The CCB are cool, and IIRC they can be optioned without the Z07 on a GS... (for a while they reduced the price to $5K or so)

Anyway, OP, buy what you want, ask the service manager the questions, enjoy the car. Don't let is just sit in the garage.... Saving it for the next owner...
Old 08-15-2018, 08:11 AM
DC_Art
Intermediate

Default Road Trip

My friends and I are making a road trip out of it, after pickinig the car up. I'd ;iek to be able to get the oild changed at 500 miles and be unrestricted on the way home. I was hoping to find something online, like a listing of certified dealers, without having to call each one, but I guess not.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:20 AM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Going over 500 miles is not an issue. I probably wouldn’t go 1000 miles, but as you drive like a sane person and don’t dog the engine get the oil changed when you get home.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:23 AM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DC_Art
My friends and I are making a road trip out of it, after pickinig the car up. I'd ;iek to be able to get the oild changed at 500 miles and be unrestricted on the way home. I was hoping to find something online, like a listing of certified dealers, without having to call each one, but I guess not.
Any Chevy dealer can do the 500 mile oil change. I'd start a new thread with this specific question. I'm sure others have made the trip and can give you recommendations.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:37 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

The only thing I know of is dealers need to have "certified C7 technicians" if they are to service C7s. So maybe the terms got mixed around.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:17 AM
ECSIII
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Makitso
This is what Tadge has to say regarding dealer certification -
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-process.html
That was interesting reading but it failed to answer the question of whether there is an accessible database of Certified Corvette Dealers. I think there really ought to be such and furthermore that it should be kept current. That would be especially useful if one were traveling in unfamiliar territory and needed help with their Corvette.

The following users liked this post:
DC_Art (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 09:50 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,953 Likes on 940 Posts

If its within your budget - definitely go with a 3LT package - I have a 2014 Z51 3LT and have no dashboard issues. Might I also say, that if a Z06 is not within your budget, the Z51 package offers the following performance upgrades for a few thousand more - it doesn't make it a Z06 (650HP vs. 460HP) but it offers alot of bang for your buck:

Z51 Performance Package, includes (J55) performance brakes, (J6A) Black-painted calipers, slotted brake rotors, (Z52) dry sump oil system, (FE3) Z51 performance suspension, specific shocks, springs and stabilizer bars, (NPP) performance exhaust, (XFJ) P245/35ZR19 front and P285/30ZR20 rear tires, (Q7S) Silver-painted aluminum, 19" front and 20" rear wheels, performance gear ratios, (G96) Electronic Limited Slip Differential (eLSD), (KNR) rear differential cooler, transmission cooling and an Aero Package
Old 08-15-2018, 10:01 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by DC_Art
Originally Posted by ECSIII
That was interesting reading but it failed to answer the question of whether there is an accessible database of Certified Corvette Dealers. I think there really ought to be such and furthermore that it should be kept current. That would be especially useful if one were traveling in unfamiliar territory and needed help with their Corvette.
I've got a suggestion that might be helpful. There most certainly is a list of the top 50 Chevrolet dealerships that sold the most Corvettes. It's a good bet that if a dealer is selling a number of Corvettes, they're probably better able to service the car, certainly an oil change is no big deal for them. No guarantees but probability says this might be a good way to go.
Here's a link:
http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2018/...ugh-june-30th/

Last edited by roadbike56; 08-15-2018 at 10:03 AM.
DC_Art (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 01:13 PM
DC_Art
Intermediate

Originally Posted by roadbike56
I've got a suggestion that might be helpful. There most certainly is a list of the top 50 Chevrolet dealerships that sold the most Corvettes. It's a good bet that if a dealer is selling a number of Corvettes, they're probably better able to service the car, certainly an oil change is no big deal for them. No guarantees but probability says this might be a good way to go.
Here's a link:
http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2018/...ugh-june-30th/
This a grerat idea/starting place, but I agree with ECSIII that there ought to be a managed/maintained online list.

Thanks for the idea!

Art

Last edited by DC_Art; 08-15-2018 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-15-2018, 01:29 PM
DC_Art
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mayor111
If its within your budget - definitely go with a 3LT package - I have a 2014 Z51 3LT and have no dashboard issues. Might I also say, that if a Z06 is not within your budget, the Z51 package offers the following performance upgrades for a few thousand more - it doesn't make it a Z06 (650HP vs. 460HP) but it offers alot of bang for your buck:

Z51 Performance Package, includes (J55) performance brakes, (J6A) Black-painted calipers, slotted brake rotors, (Z52) dry sump oil system, (FE3) Z51 performance suspension, specific shocks, springs and stabilizer bars, (NPP) performance exhaust, (XFJ) P245/35ZR19 front and P285/30ZR20 rear tires, (Q7S) Silver-painted aluminum, 19" front and 20" rear wheels, performance gear ratios, (G96) Electronic Limited Slip Differential (eLSD), (KNR) rear differential cooler, transmission cooling and an Aero Package
It's my understanding that most/all of this is included in the Grand Sport...

Art
Old 08-15-2018, 01:39 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rrsperry
Oh come on Joe.. The only difference between a 2lt and 3lt is the amount and kind of leather. (all other features and options are the same as a 2lt.) SInce I have a jet black interior, I didn't feel it was worth $4k over a 2lt. In my opinion, all of the other color options look stupid. Why not make the entire dash the color instead of just a splash?

A better question for the OP is do you want the comp seats or not? (how big a guy are you?) I mean, I'm 6'1" and 215 and they were tight in the back. (the only real difference).

If you aren't going to really track the car a lot, and I don't mean 2 or 3 times a year, there is ZERO reason to get the z07. There is no public road where you can use the normal car to it's potential without going directly to jail or endangering others. I mean really, while you may be working up a sweat thinking you are hauling azz, the car is really yawning at you. It's thinking, "is that all you got?" You will run out of talent long before you reach the limits of the stock Z51 or GS..

The CCB are cool, and IIRC they can be optioned without the Z07 on a GS... (for a while they reduced the price to $5K or so)

Anyway, OP, buy what you want, ask the service manager the questions, enjoy the car. Don't let is just sit in the garage.... Saving it for the next owner...
If you're that unhappy with your 3LT? Trade it off then.

The 3LT's smoother, softer leather is pleasing to the touch AND the eye. It also is holding it's rich leather fragrance longer and stronger. Not sure why you don't like yours?

The 3LT options are a package of goodies over the top. Every one if those goodies, I use EVERY time I drive mine.

Get notified of new replies

To A couple of questions from a new member

Old 08-15-2018, 01:50 PM
gbranham
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
The 3LT's smoother, softer leather is pleasing to the touch AND the eye. It also is holding it's rich leather fragrance longer and stronger.

fatsport (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 01:51 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mayor111

The fact of the matter is that the Z51 package IS all one would ever need for most any Corvette driving purpose.

Most people that get suckered into buying the GS, are either buying them for their looks, or, unfortunately think they're a ZO6 in performance. That's throwing away over $10,000.00 for basically some ornamental satisfaction.

The guy on the street is all gaa-gaa over the GS because of its looks. If that's what turns you on, then the GS seems to do the trick. It certainly isn't faster than the Z51. The Z51, is the biggest performance bargain out there.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:20 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by rrsperry
Because for any color except black it would be garish--complete overkill. If you're going for something like Kalahari, the 3LT combo is the perfect compromise. It's classy without being overwhelming. It's worth saying that they have been messing with the color combo since the C7 first started. The first year cars did have a complete dash in the color of your choice. Then they cut down the 2LT color quite a bit and left more with the 3LT. Starting with 2018 they upped the ante for the 2LT and ran the color over the dash. That left the only difference for the 3LT as color on the glovebox. There may be a difference on the doors. I haven't checked that part. But the result is that a new 2LT looks very much like a 3LT these days. Now, the reason we have options is so I am not forced to live with your idea of what constitutes a good color combination. To me full black is mundane, common, pedestrian. There's nothing to look at . It's what dealers order because they don't want to offend anyone. You think color looks stupid; I think black looks stupid. I would never buy one. You prefer it that way, and that's okay. Different strokes. Thank God for options.

Quick Reply: A couple of questions from a new member