Sponsored by:

Wiring a phone holder to USB port

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 09:39 PM
Submerge
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Wiring a phone holder to USB port

Planning ahead for mid September when the build should be complete..... I'm getting the Pro Clip phone mount. Have used them, and still do in other cars. Thinking about running a USB wire from either a center console USB port or maybe the hidden compartment USB port to the vicinity of the center passenger handle (since this is where the pro clip is mounted).

Anyone do this routing with minimal wiring showing? I can live with a portable cord draped from the center console to the phone but it would be more convenient to have a cradle mount with power always attached.

Appreciate your experiences with this. David
Old 08-16-2018, 10:06 PM
mwlhrh
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

used a proclip mount with an iOttie Qi wireless charger for a Note 8 in a waterproof case...works great

I just tucked the wire as it passes under trim piece on passenger side of center console until it reaches the point where the cable enters the tray with the usb port

rob

Last edited by mwlhrh; 08-16-2018 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:27 PM
Submerge
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by mwlhrh
used a proclip mount with an iOttie Qi wireless charger for a Note 8 in a waterproof case...works great

I just tucked the wire as it passes under trim piece on passenger side of center console until it reaches the point where the cable enters the tray with the usb port

rob

Thank you sir. Exactly what I am intending to do.
The following users liked this post:
Art17 (12-23-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 06:43 AM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

Rob,

l like your setup! Great choice, very nice!

Which Proclip did you use, and could you please provide a link to buy it, and also same request for the charger please.

Thank You!

Old 08-17-2018, 04:38 PM
mwlhrh
Advanced

The proclip

https://www.proclipusa.com/vehicle/dashboard-mounts/9774-chevrolet-corvette/2016

You may also want to buy an extension plate from promount if you have manual transmission...that said, I didn't care for it's cumbersome appearance and occasionally, my right hand will strike the mount,phone if I'm not mindful. Also, the front cupholder becomes unable for holding drinks with this setup without extension plate

iottie:

From amazon

https://www.amazon.com/iOttie-Wireless-Samsung-Standard-Enabled/dp/B0754NDNT8

If you have a large phone with large case,you will need to remove the bottom cradle to center the phone charging coil over the Iottie...the phone holder grips very securely and my phone has not come out of place unless I remove it

Rob
Old 08-17-2018, 06:06 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

So you need the proclip for $30 + a device holder from them for another $40 for that setup?
Old 08-17-2018, 06:27 PM
mwlhrh
Advanced

one would need to purchase:

proclip angled mount: 30 dollars
(possibly) proclip extension plate: 10 dollars
IOttie Qi wireless charger: 50 dollars

so 70 to 80 dollar outlay.

for me, best solution for what i wanted for phone utility, mount rigidity, and aesthetics.

rob
Old 12-10-2018, 08:16 PM
inradius
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one would need to purchase:

proclip angled mount: 30 dollars
(possibly) proclip extension plate: 10 dollars
IOttie Qi wireless charger: 50 dollars

so 70 to 80 dollar outlay.

for me, best solution for what i wanted for phone utility, mount rigidity, and aesthetics.

rob
Hey Rob. I'm using your input as a basis for a similar setup. I bought the proclip mount and extender, as well as the iOttie Qi Wireless charger. However, how did you attach the the iOttie to the proclip mount? Did you use something like this?
Amazon Amazon

Old 12-10-2018, 08:48 PM
corvette11
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I like that...
Old 12-10-2018, 08:54 PM
inradius
4th Gear

Me too. I'm about to drive cross country and want this setup for the journey.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:37 PM
2019GSTX
Lurker

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 568 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19-'20

I'm liking this idea too....not a fan of phone holders that clip into the vents and laying my phone on the cupholder lid prevents me from drinking!!!
I think I would go one step further and remove the cig lighter from the pop up compartment, add a circular USB plug/extension back to the center console and just use a short curly q cable from the cig lighter to the phone.....
Shouldnt be hard to pull the console and run the extension cable back to the center compartment.

Thanks Submerge and mwlhrh for the proclip idea!
Old 12-10-2018, 09:39 PM
mwlhrh
Advanced

Inradius;

I used something similar...iBolt AMPS adapter plate, on amazon for 9.95$

Amazon Amazon

Rob
Old 12-10-2018, 09:53 PM
mwlhrh
Advanced

having wireless charging whilst using waze or google maps is great...my note 8 in a 'life-proof' type case got a little warm, but never worrisome and no wires to hassle with...and with this set up, still very easy to hook up usb to use android auto when I want...

rob
Old 12-11-2018, 08:49 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

rob

Does this work with Android Auto? I ask because you seem to plug in the USB to the holder and not the phone. I don't think AA will work under those circumstances.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:07 AM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Another ProClip user here, they are solid mounts. Have them in all 3 of my vehicles.
I use this phone holder for my iPhone XS: https://www.proclipusa.com/product/a...g-to-usb-cable

I have a manual transmission but didn't need the extension. I ran the wires similar to the picture but went behind the grab handle (opposite side) plus further back at the console to hide it better. It is easy to tuck between the plastic and carpet. At some point I might pull up the console trim and see if I can't tuck it inside to completely hide it. Also need to get a black cable as Apple's standard white one sticks out too much. Just note the holder I have linked above only works with the exact same style / size end as Apple's Lighting cable, so other USB cables may not fit especially the ones that have a larger or tapered stress relief connections.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:06 PM
JJLAI724
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

I use a 2 foot coiled usb cord and it reaches perfectly to the Pro Clip holder. When I don't need to charge my phone it fits nicely in the center console while still plugged in. Easier than the 3 foots cords that I need to roll up and tuck away.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:13 PM
mwlhrh
Advanced

Without a second USB line, no....android auto does not work...I have used the wireless charger and plugged into Android auto via second USB line simultaneously and it works fine....just don't need Android auto much. Further, the position of the screen is good enough to use Waze/Google maps on the phone and use the Vette screen for another purpose whilst driving.

Rob

Get notified of new replies

To Wiring a phone holder to USB port

Old 12-11-2018, 12:24 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,193 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I got one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H85VPG5 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H85VPG5
and it works amazingly well to provide a base with wireless charging. It has an air vent mount as well as a base with 3M tape that the air vent mount can go into. I tried it first with the air vent mount in the dash vent above the infotainment screen, and that worked really well. I just recently stuck the base to blank space between the vent and the airbag light, but I'm not sure I like it as it moves the phone out by 1-2 inches. Stuck in the air vent was almost flush with the dash itself. Anyway, it works really well, phone really sticks as long as you press it on well, and having the wireless charging is really nice. I ran the cable through the coiled radar detector cord and plug it into the USB power port on the radar detector (Uniden R3) cord base. I'll try and take some pics of the setup tonight/tomorrow.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:56 PM
inradius
4th Gear

Inradius;

I used something similar...iBolt AMPS adapter plate, on amazon for 9.95$

https://www.amazon.com/iBOLT-IT-J9VJ.../dp/B009AYLYWA

Rob
Perfect - thanks Rob! I appreciate you circling back on this. It was the missing link for me.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:07 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Without a second USB line, no....android auto does not work...I have used the wireless charger and plugged into Android auto via second USB line simultaneously and it works fine....just don't need Android auto much. Further, the position of the screen is good enough to use Waze/Google maps on the phone and use the Vette screen for another purpose whilst driving.

Rob
Personally if I'm not under AA guidance then I'm not driving. I don't want to try to make out stuff on a tiny screen when I have a big screen and there's really nothing I want to do on the big screen other than navigation or media (phone rarely). But another big reason to use AA is that when plugged into USB the audio is much louder and with much better fidelity than Bluetooth.

Besides, I use the small screen to run an app that talks to my Valentine 1 radar detector called JBV1. Even gives me the police (often false) alerts that you get from Waze (without all the silly "car stopped on side of road" crap).

Thanks for letting me know. I'll stick with my ProClip which is simply a magnetic clip.

Quick Reply: Wiring a phone holder to USB port