C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First impressions from luckiest guy: Coke Zero vs Diet Coke (aka Z06 vs GS)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 12:39 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts
Default First impressions from luckiest guy: Coke Zero vs Diet Coke (aka Z06 vs GS)

Warning: a TL;DR post but hopefully interesting.

Some of you guys may have seen that I feel like the luckiest guy in the world right now because I was lucky to join the world of Vettes 15 months ago (‘17 Gs 3lt a8) and now I’m lucky to experience a second c7/ different model from the same model year (’17 z06 m7 1lz optioned with carbon ceramic and pdr). The Z has 650 miles on it so it just passed its breakin and dry sump oil change, but basically feels new to me.

While I had the two yellow Vettes parked side by side in the dealer (thanks Boardwalk Redwood City!) lot, waiting to make the exchange, I took the unique opportunity to do some real time “testing” of features and was wondering whether I’d miss changing from the previous better optioned auto vette to the more powerful manual vette. With the exteriors being pretty similar (although I noted the z seemed slightly lower to the ground even though it was stock- a manager’s car he gave back when he broke his leg and couldn’t drive the manual), it felt almost like a blinded taste test from the days of Coke vs Pepsi. As a separate experimental control, I had a chance to spend an hour sitting in a fully optioned New GS vert testing everything except for driving it (105k MSRP= 3lt+ heritage collector edition #245+ Gt seats + carbon effects package + z07+Premium spoiler + Jake premium wheel hubs + windscreen)

(i’m prepared to be absolutely roasted by the forum but who cares, it’s fun right?)

here are my initial impressions:
1. I mentioned the z06 seemed perceptibly lower to the ground. I’m missing the look of my side skirts.
2. I was surprised the 1lz leather is not that worse than the 3lt leather.. I used to be one of the people who gushed over Napa leather... now, wouldn’t notice it at all.
3. The 9 speaker Bose is perceptibly worse than the 10 speaker system but not lethally so. You have to change the equalizer settings you’re used to - a touch more forward/ less fade, etc. eventually I’ll need a sub to make “Trap Queen” sound like hip hop again.
4. I’m missing my ventilated seats a little and my visor garage control. I also noticed the seats don’t have lumbar adjustments or seat memory I’m used to.
5. Parking: I’m missing my forward cameras. I can no longer try to park an inch from the front curb. Right now I’m landing multiple feet away from the front curb.
6. The DRIVE: most importantly, this makes you forget the little things. It’s hard to differentiate getting back to a manual on top of the more powerful engine. (Opened the hood - sweet blower!)
People say you won’t be able to use the power fully on the Streets, which is true... but boy did I notice the kick from the line... it is so easy to go fast, I’ve lost everyone with moderate throttle from a stop sign by the time I reach 30 mph.
The carbon ceramic Brembo brakes feel familiarly linear but they are perceptibly better at stopping at little braking pressure.
Rev match works really well- it didnt take long to get used to not touching the throttle.
The shifter is short throw (much shorter than my bmw 3 series) and fun. I’m not used to the 7 speed yet and still missing some gears ( 3rd vs 5th, 4th vs 6th)
The clutch is just the right resistance to control precisely, though I’m still finding the engagement point.
Together, so far, going around the familiar curves near the dealership felt completely new and exciting.
Huge difference in the loudness of the sport exhaust- neighbors will be getting POed. I turn it to stealth mode when I get home and my wife chastises me for not getting the tricked out GS vert... I laugh joyously because she can’t drive a stick either way !!

Last edited by Parcival; 08-17-2018 at 06:00 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Parcival:
l2vette (08-17-2018), Landru (10-09-2018), rb185afm (08-17-2018), repo czar (10-07-2018), SilverGhost (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 01:06 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

There's no way I'd ever touch a GS. Esp. a Heritage Edition. *gross!*
​​​​​​​
Special Editions customarily have zilch interest on the resale market. A total non-issue.

Getting a ZO6 M7, was getting back to your roots.

Automatics aren't fun to drive - regardless.

I have to ask if your new ZO6 has Front Cameras?
Old 08-17-2018, 01:11 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe

Special Editions customarily have zilch interest on the resale market. A total non-issue.

no sadly no. I’m now stopping short of front curbs by a mile and running scared from near sighted looking old Asian women driving toward me slowly (some what racist but I’m Asian).

Last edited by Parcival; 08-17-2018 at 01:12 AM.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:33 AM
OmarZ06
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Parcival

Warning: a TL;DR post but hopefully interesting.

Some of you guys may have seen that I feel like the luckiest guy in the world right now because I was lucky to join the world of Vettes 15 months ago (‘17 Gs 3lt a8) and now I’m lucky to experience a second c7/ different model from the same model year (’17 z06 m7 1lz optioned with nav and pdr). The Z has 650 miles on it so it just passed its breakin and dry sump oil change, but basically feels new to me.

While I had the two yellow Vettes parked side by side in the dealer (thanks Boardwalk Redwood City!) lot, waiting to make the exchange, I took the unique opportunity to do some real time “testing” of features and was wondering whether I’d miss changing from the previous better optioned auto vette to the more powerful manual vette. With the exteriors being pretty similar (although I noted the z seemed slightly lower to the ground even though it was stock- a manager’s car he gave back when he broke his leg and couldn’t drive the manual), it felt almost like a blinded taste test from the days of Coke vs Pepsi. As a separate experimental control, I had a chance to spend an hour sitting in a fully optioned New GS vert testing everything except for driving it (105k MSRP= 3lt+ heritage collector edition #245+ Gt seats + carbon effects package + z07+Premium spoiler + Jake premium wheel hubs + windscreen)

(i’m prepared to be absolutely roasted by the forum but who cares, it’s fun right?)

here are my initial impressions:
1. I mentioned the z06 seemed perceptibly lower to the ground. I’m missing the look of my side skirts.
2. I was surprised the 1lz leather is not that worse than the 3lt leather.. I used to be one of the people who gushed over Napa leather... now, wouldn’t notice it at all.
3. The 9 speaker Bose is perceptibly worse than the 10 speaker system but not lethally so. You have to change the equalizer settings you’re used to - a touch more forward/ less fade, etc. eventually I’ll need a sub to make “Trap Queen” sound like hip hop again.
4. I’m missing my ventilated seats a little and my visor garage control. I also noticed the seats don’t have lumbar adjustments or seat memory I’m used to.
5. Parking: I’m missing my forward cameras. I can no longer try to park an inch from the front curb. Right now I’m landing multiple feet away from the front curb.
6. The DRIVE: most importantly, this makes you forget the little things. It’s hard to differentiate getting back to a manual on top of the more powerful engine. (Opened the hood - sweet blower!)
People say you won’t be able to use the power fully on the Streets, which is true... but boy did I notice the kick from the line... it is so easy to go fast, I’ve lost everyone with moderate throttle from a stop sign by the time I reach 30 mph.
The carbon ceramic Brembo brakes feel familiarly linear but they are perceptibly better at stopping at little braking pressure.
Rev match works really well- it didnt take long to get used to not touching the throttle.
The shifter is short throw (much shorter than my bmw 3 series) and fun. I’m not used to the 7 speed yet and still missing some gears ( 3rd vs 5th, 4th vs 6th)
The clutch is just the right resistance to control precisely, though I’m still finding the engagement point.
Together, so far, going around the familiar curves near the dealership felt completely new and exciting.
Huge difference in the loudness of the sport exhaust- neighbors will be getting POed. I turn it to stealth mode when I get home and my wife chastises me for not getting the tricked out GS vert... I laugh joyously because she can’t drive a stick either way !!
First off congrats bro!!!!
Second thing, dayum you only had your previous vette 15 months... did you lose your *** on the trade?
Old 08-17-2018, 03:53 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Originally Posted by OmarZ06
First off congrats bro!!!!
Second thing, dayum you only had your previous vette 15 months... did you lose your *** on the trade?
thanks bro I’m pretty stoked.

on the financials, Of course I took some hit.new luxury cars depreciate— but life is short right?! I paid for the optionality much like a short term lease...But altogether I’ll spend 100k over the lifetime getting the use of not one, but two, new Gs/z06 c7, minus whatever I recoup on the z06 if i sell it. If I bought a new 2010 Maserati gran turismo for $150k I’d only resell it 7 yrs later for 30k.

Btw, I feel like I got a decent deal on the Z (thanks Boardwalk)... this was 1lz but has PDR Nav and the carbon ceramic Brembo package. As optioned vs new car, my 600 miles car was 22% off MSRP. And my financing rate was 50 bips lower on this car than 15 months ago!

Last edited by Parcival; 08-17-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:28 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,296 Likes on 13,969 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Thanks for the comparison and best of luck with the new Z.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:48 AM
l2vette
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 167 Posts

Enjoy the Z06, it's a Beast!!
Old 08-17-2018, 12:41 PM
Deepdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 430 Likes on 251 Posts

nice assessment. Enjoy.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:37 PM
redman76
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Huge difference in the loudness of the sport exhaust- neighbors will be getting POed.
They both have the same NPP exhaust correct? Both are really nice cars!!!
Old 08-18-2018, 02:19 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Thanks for everyone’s comments.

day 3 impression: mag ride (maybe )
unless it’s my imagination the ride in Sport mode in the same year Z is smoother/ cushier than the same year GS 3lt.

Ive been hitting bumps on purpose on familiar roads on consecutive days (same road with GS day before and with Z now). Not sure why that is- weird- but it’s so noticeable that I prob won’t use Tour again except for exhaust dampening.

Originally Posted by redman76
They both have the same NPP exhaust correct? Both are really nice cars!!!
yes it must be the different engine note from the lt4. Unless someone else knows better.

Last edited by Parcival; 08-18-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:40 PM
TSLAVette
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe

Opinions are like Skid Row Joe's, everybody has one. I couldn't disagree with you more.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:57 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Originally Posted by MlwYlw
Opinions are like Skid Row Joe's, everybody has one. I couldn't disagree with you more.
So U have a Heritage- congrats.

I will say the #245 vert I saw was a beauty and very heavily optioned, maybe a bit too much (3lt, z07, carbon effects, comp seats, jake hubs).
i tried to make the argument to myself it would retain value...but at 120k (even with discount, plus taxes and financing), I wasn’t sure it was the next late 60’s L88 or ‘63 split window. For that $, there are too many other options to consider Unless u have to have that car. Perhaps others feel this way because it’s been sitting there since 12/2016.

Last edited by Parcival; 08-18-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:01 PM
Null Pointer
Exception ID 10T
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 506 Likes on 333 Posts

I thought the 8 way power seat was standard on all Z06 trim levels, so I am surprised that you don't have lumbar support.
See page 57 of your owners manual.
Maybe it's just the angle of the photo, but it also appears that you don't have the 3/4 side skirt, which I believe is standard on all Z06 starting in 2017.
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...ages-1314.html
Make sure you got the brake duct coolers, aero front license plate holder, the track stuff for the brakes, and the emergency gas can funnel.
Some of it might be in the cubby on the left side of the rear hatch.
If you lift up the floor mat on the right side and keep lifting past the battery opening toward the rear center, you will find the Service Parts Identification sticker, which identifies all the RPO codes your car was built with.
Again, welcome to the 2017 Z06 club. I got mine new "leftover" almost two months ago and I still get excitement from looking at it and driving it. Such a fun car.
I have bought many new cars and trucks in my lifetime, and the "new" would wear off in a few days for the more recent ones. Not so with this beast.
I appreciate reading your impressions about the car. Keep them coming and get us more photos, too.
Speaking of photos, I can just see that picture of two vets parked on top of a handicap space designation lighting up Facebook someday. J/K
Wishing you much joy as you learn the car.

Last edited by Null Pointer; 08-18-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:17 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

no sadly no. I’m now stopping short of front curbs by a mile and running scared from near sighted looking old Asian women driving toward me slowly (some what racist but I’m Asian).
why doesn't it have the rockers? They're also standard, but put on by the dealership. They owe you a front spoiler and rockers if they're not on the car.

Last edited by Thunder22; 08-18-2018 at 07:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Thunder22:
joemessman (10-07-2018), Rebel Yell (10-08-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 07:32 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Originally Posted by Null Pointer
I thought the 8 way power seat was standard on all Z06 trim levels, so I am surprised that you don't have lumbar support.
See page 57 of your owners manual.
Maybe it's just the angle of the photo, but it also appears that you don't have the 3/4 side skirt, which I believe is standard on all Z06 starting in 2017.
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...ages-1314.html
Make sure you got the brake duct coolers, aero front license plate holder, the track stuff for the brakes, and the emergency gas can funnel.
Some of it might be in the cubby on the left side of the rear hatch.
If you lift up the floor mat on the right side and keep lifting past the battery opening toward the rear center, you will find the Service Parts Identification sticker, which identifies all the RPO codes your car was built with.
Again, welcome to the 2017 Z06 club. I got mine new "leftover" almost two months ago and I still get excitement from looking at it and driving it. Such a fun car.
I have bought many new cars and trucks in my lifetime, and the "new" would wear off in a few days for the more recent ones. Not so with this beast.
I appreciate reading your impressions about the car. Keep them coming and get us more photos, too.
Speaking of photos, I can just see that picture of two vets parked on top of a handicap space designation lighting up Facebook someday. J/K
Wishing you much joy as you learn the car.
thanks for taking the time with the detailed comments.

If u look at list of trim features, yes 1lz has th 8 way seats but u need 2lz to get the “lumbar/wing” support. I wouldn’t have known unless I had the c7 3lt before that this is a third control button on the seats- now I only have two I think.

Will have more pics from the wild- here’s a lame one in the garage for now

Originally Posted by Thunder22
why doesn't it have the rockers? They're also standard, but put on by the dealership. They owe you a front spoiler and rockers if they're not on the car.
yeah I wondered abt that ...It was a long day over there with many customers in line so I didn’t push the issue but i’ll send them an email.

the answer could be the particular scenario I got the car under, which technically makes it used with 600miles.

it was the manager’s lease car (btw he has penchant for yellow which is why he is eyeing my trade in ‘17 GS 3lt A8 now)... it was at a dealership in Wyoming before being shipped to the california dealer with 62 miles... the manager leased it two months ago and got to drive it for 500 miles or so before he broke his left leg (no more m7 for him).. when I met him two days ago while I was doing the paperwork, I saw him in a brace and heard the whole story...Point is maybe he didn’t want the rockers, now I’m taking “ as is”... but maybe they help me because I’ve bought two Vettes from them in 15 months.

Last edited by Parcival; 08-18-2018 at 07:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Null Pointer (08-18-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 07:56 PM
ROBWILKER
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by MlwYlw
Automatics are not fun for HIM to drive- regardless.
Such judgemental authority to thrust an opinion onto others as a supposed fact.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:19 PM
Parcival
Drifting

At my gym, the new girl next to a GTR in the parking lot.

I’m biased but no contest!!

Get notified of new replies

To First impressions from luckiest guy: Coke Zero vs Diet Coke (aka Z06 vs GS)

Old 08-18-2018, 08:34 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

It looks naked without the spoiler and rockers.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:47 PM
Null Pointer
Exception ID 10T
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 506 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder22
It looks naked without the spoiler and rockers.
I think you mean the front splitter? It is missing along with the rockers (skirts). The rear spoiler is the same as mine.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:59 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Null Pointer
I think you mean the front splitter? It is missing along with the rockers (skirts). The rear spoiler is the same as mine.
"Spoiler" can refer to front or rear. So no, I meant front spoiler You can call it whatever you like

Passenger vehicles can be equipped with front and rear spoilers. Front spoilers, found beneath the bumper, are mainly used to decrease the amount of air going underneath the vehicle to reduce the drag coefficient and lift.

Sports cars are most commonly seen with front and rear spoilers. Even though these vehicles typically have a more rigid chassis and a stiffer suspension to aid in high speed maneuverability, a spoiler can still be beneficial. This is because many vehicles have a fairly steep downward angle going from the rear edge of the roof down to the trunk or tail of the car which may cause air flow separation. The flow of air becomes turbulent and a low-pressure zone is created, increasing drag and instability (see Bernoulli effect). Adding a rear spoiler could be considered to make the air "see" a longer, gentler slope from the roof to the spoiler, which helps to delay flow separation and the higher pressure in front of the spoiler can help reduce the lift on the car by creating downforce[[i]citation needed]. This may reduce drag in certain instances and will generally increase high speed stability due to the reduced rear lift.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoiler_(car)

Last edited by Thunder22; 08-18-2018 at 09:01 PM.

Quick Reply: First impressions from luckiest guy: Coke Zero vs Diet Coke (aka Z06 vs GS)