C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you plan your local C7 trips around parking?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 11:17 AM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts

Another bonus of parking way out in a parking lot.... You get to look at your car longer as you walk back to it!
The following users liked this post:
JimNeedsC7 (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 03:07 PM
gwalsh88
Burning Brakes

Received 803 Likes on 163 Posts

2014 Z51 daily driver here... (80,000 miles). every single place I go I find the best spot available. It usually means a little more walking but I don't mind. If it comes down to my needing to park close i check out the cars near the available spaces... two door vs four door, mini van with sliding doors...does it look like a car with only a driver so i can pick the passenger side? is there an end spot available or a curb I can pull next to? is that end spot left or right facing? should I pull in or back in? Is there an incline in thr lot? are there shopping carts which could come close?... lots of things to think about....

I go through this everyday and I am not complaining one bit. While my car has a great deal of road rash it does not have any door dings and I am lucky enough to drive it everyday!
Old 08-20-2018, 03:13 PM
Tin-can
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 202 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by gwalsh88
2014 Z51 daily driver here... (80,000 miles). every single place I go I find the best spot available. It usually means a little more walking but I don't mind. If it comes down to my needing to park close i check out the cars near the available spaces... two door vs four door, mini van with sliding doors...does it look like a car with only a driver so i can pick the passenger side? is there an end spot available or a curb I can pull next to? is that end spot left or right facing? should I pull in or back in? Is there an incline in thr lot? are there shopping carts which could come close?... lots of things to think about....

I go through this everyday and I am not complaining one bit. While my car has a great deal of road rash it does not have any door dings and I am lucky enough to drive it everyday!
Thanks! Common sense is alive and well.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:36 PM
Deweyox
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
It doesn't. It just chips paint. Hit hard enuff, it goes to primer level. A ding isn't always a dent, to me.
ahhhh haaaa, the old paint chip. Thanks
Old 08-20-2018, 05:10 PM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

Post 34 linked this first, but link was broken.

Last edited by SilverGhost; 08-20-2018 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:30 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by fyreline
For heaven's sake - it's a car. Drive it. Yes, use your head and park carefully, but you can't go through life being afraid of things that might happen. You'll miss out on a lot of driving enjoyment.
This is my view as well. Just had a coworker tell me last week that I was crazy to park my car at work as the spaces aren't the greatest. I said it's just a car and I drive it as much as I can while the weather is nice. It's just not worth worrying about. It's insured and can be fixed if something were to happen. I refuse to let it sit and collect dust when not necessary.
Steve_R (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 06:06 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I park out away from other cars, thats about it. Though usually i will not go somewhere without knowing something about what the parking situation is like, such as overly tight spaces or big speed humps, etc.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:40 PM
Mike6811
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Wondering how the owners of the erotic/exotic cars such as Lambos and Ferraris handle this issue. Surely they have the same concern.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:50 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Mike6811
Wondering how the owners of the erotic/exotic cars such as Lambos and Ferraris handle this issue. Surely they have the same concern.
My experience is that they are more apt to drive those cars anywhere than many Corvette owners. Next door owner has a Ferrari and he drives it everywhere, including the mall, and isn't OCD about parking it nearly as much as many Chevy owners.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:00 PM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts

I think that those people who drive Ferraris and Lambos "usually" have an excess of money, where if something gets damaged, it's no big deal to fix it or just buy another.

I spent a lot of money on my Vette (to me) and I don't want to spend a lot of money fixing it (where it may never look the same afterwards). It's a lot cheaper and easier to just be cautious where I park. It's in "like new" condition now and I want to keep it that way as long as I can.
JimNeedsC7 (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 07:39 PM
runner61627
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 256 Posts

I won't park my vette unless I can find an isolated parking spot - the same as with all my vehicles. Unfortunately, I've learned the hard way that without taking precautions, the opportunity for someone who is jealous, irresponsible or inattentive to put a ding/dent/scratch on my ride is greatly increased. While others may not agree with my "vehicle OCD" strategy, I've managed to keep my vette pristine and my other vehicles free of dents and dings.
Preparing for incoming.....
Old 08-20-2018, 08:04 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by runner61627
I won't park my vette unless I can find an isolated parking spot - the same as with all my vehicles. Unfortunately, I've learned the hard way that without taking precautions, the opportunity for someone who is jealous, irresponsible or inattentive to put a ding/dent/scratch on my ride is greatly increased. While others may not agree with my "vehicle OCD" strategy, I've managed to keep my vette pristine and my other vehicles free of dents and dings.
Preparing for incoming.....
There shouldn’t be any “incoming.” You own it and can do whatever you want with it.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:34 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

All the isolating and OCD, won't keep your Corvette from suffering from vandalism. In fact, the isolated parking spots call attention to your pretty gem. It may be free of door dings, but it is a sitting duck out on the South 40 of the parking lots advertising for malicious vandalism.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 08-20-2018 at 10:19 PM.
Null Pointer (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 10:09 PM
Null Pointer
Exception ID 10T
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 506 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
All the isolating and OCD, won't keep your Corvette from suffering from vandalism. In fact, the isolated parking spots call attention to your pretty gem. It may be free of door dings, but it is a sitting duck out on the South 40 of the parking lots advertising for vandals.
True. Attracts a lot of attention from the malicious jealous types. Around here if you are lucky enough to find that end spot and park as close to the curb as possible, then Bubba in his lifted 4X4 or a Soccer mom in a van pulls in next to you, over the line, making a tight opening for your door. All you can do is try to keep your car nice, but you can't control other peoples actions.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:47 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

All the isolating and OCD, won't keep your Corvette from suffering from vandalism. In fact, the isolated parking spots call attention to your pretty gem. It may be free of door dings, but it is a sitting duck out on the South 40 of the parking lots advertising for malicious vandalism.
Originally Posted by Null Pointer
True. Attracts a lot of attention from the malicious jealous types. Around here if you are lucky enough to find that end spot and park as close to the curb as possible, then Bubba in his lifted 4X4 or a Soccer mom in a van pulls in next to you, over the line, making a tight opening for your door. All you can do is try to keep your car nice, but you can't control other peoples actions.
I don’t know where you guys live, but I hope I never have to drive there. In many, many years driving and parking nice cars, including Corvettes, a Mustang Shelby GT500 vert, and other nice cars, I’ve never experienced, or even heard of, the stuff you’re afraid of.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:58 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

I'm not afraid of anything, Steve. BOTH my brand new Corvettes were vandalized in their parking spots. Neither in ghettos. Both, in upscale parts of suburbs. You tell me? ?
Old 08-21-2018, 01:16 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Yeah, you're much better off parking next to a senior citizen who needs a camera to park his car without hitting something...

I've owned nice cars for a long time, have always parked far away from the other cars, and have never gotten a door ding or had my car vandalized.

It's a smart move to park away from all the other cars, because obviously you reduce the chance of another car parking near you and hitting your car. It's also wise to park in a highly visible area because not many people would be dumb enough to try and vandalize a car in a high-visibility area, like near a high-traffic road for example, that is still far enough away from a building that results in low parking traffic.

Get notified of new replies

To Do you plan your local C7 trips around parking?

Old 08-21-2018, 01:49 PM
nightroddersp
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Most of my relatives live in houses with on street parking. It's makes my skin crawl thinking of the things that could go wrong. I let my family know, if I come and visit I need parking off street and my Pomeranians need to stay with me(One get Medication every 8 hours). Erie PA, they just bounce off parked cars and keep on going never to be seen again.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:58 PM
Null Pointer
Exception ID 10T
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 506 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R

I don’t know where you guys live, but I hope I never have to drive there. In many, many years driving and parking nice cars, including Corvettes, a Mustang Shelby GT500 vert, and other nice cars, I’ve never experienced, or even heard of, the stuff you’re afraid of.

The bubba trucks and mini vans can't seem to park between the lines around my town, Jacksonville, Fl. If you take an end spot, park close to the curb, and leave space next to your vehicle, they will take it and then some. And once, in another town in another state where I lived, King of Prussia, PA, ritzy area, I parked my new at the time vehicle in the outer edges of the parking lot that had roaming security and came back to a keyed driver side. Glad it never happens to you.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:30 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Since Null Pointer provided specifics, I will too.
​​ Brand new 1977 Corvette was parked at my apartment complex under my rented carport spaces with car cover on it. In Germantown, Tenn. Came home from a road trip (I traveled in my Cadillac on the road) to the cover missing and the outside left rear view mirror whacked and broken glass, splintered fiberglass. My name was on cover, so it could be IDed.

Good Friday night in March, stopped at Hooter for supper in Mesquite, TX after working out. Following the park well away from other cars, I put the C7, out three rows from any cars at the edge of the lot under huge parking lot lights.This was too much for someone that decided to take a paint gun to the C7.

No one was being inconvenienced in either case. It was a clear case of anger and envy .
Corvettes look so magnificent, they drive some people crazy.

Quick Reply: Do you plan your local C7 trips around parking?