Sponsored by:

Dealer "BS" Charges...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 08:57 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
There are no "ins and outs" buying out of state. It couldn't be simpler. Pay the sales tax in Georgia. End of story. If you refuse to buy out of state you are doing yourself a disservice. Also, demanding a discount percentage usually only found at the national discount dealers is probably not going to work for you either.
Originally Posted by JerryU
It's all BS! Look at the Kerbeck website and order exactly what you want built for you at Bowling Green for about the same prices you see. No BS, no hassle! Then find a dealer close by that will accept Courtesy Delivery. I did for $250 from a dealer 30 miles away. Had my car in 6 weeks. 2nd Vette I bought from Kerbeck-great folks-no haggling!
I'm in 100% agreement with the ^^^ above advisors....

However, I would like to caution any out-of-State buyers to be aware that your home state's Lemon
Law may not provide you any protection if bought out-of-State, if and when you feel the need to return the car to the manufacturer, because of defect/s.

The following 2 users liked this post by Skid Row Joe:
CorvetteBrent (08-20-2018), Slynky (08-21-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 11:51 PM
montanaman
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Plus one on new buyers looking in states where the snow flies in 2 months. I made a pretty slick deal on a "new" 2017 2LT with about 14k in options for 26% off MSRP. The dealership in Idaho where I bought the car ( I live in Montana) does huge volume but not on Corvette's. There were no BS fee's. I had a cashiers check made out to them for 52k and was originally looking at another used 2016 Z51. That car was nice but the "used" (1300 miles) bothered me a bit. They happened to have a new 2017 in Arctic white nicely loaded up for 4k more than I was willing to pay for the 2016. The "super discounted no haggle price" they had on the car was $55,999. I bought it for 53k ( so much for the "no haggle"). I live in Montana so there was no sales tax and they had no issue with that. They had a "doc fee" to register the car for $120.00 and I told them that was to be included in the 53k. I've bought/leased a lot of new cars but I've never had a receipt that reads so short. One extra line for the doc fee that is included in the only other line on the invoice which is the total drive off of 53k. The windows were even tinted perfectly. I realize this is not a typical scenario.

The moral of the story is this beautiful car has been sitting on their showroom floor for almost 2 years and if they didn't sell it now it would be 3 years or off to auction. They actually had to put a new battery in it just to get the doors open and the car operational so this is the 3rd battery for a car with 26 miles on the clock. Yes it's a 2 year old car technically but the new car warranty is the same as a 2019 so there's that. I doubt I could have made this kind of deal in Arizona,Vegas or any major market. Sometimes you have to go out into the wilderness and shake a few trees.
The following users liked this post:
Slynky (08-21-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 12:26 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Speaking of BS charges....here is one for you which might make those $400-$600 charges seem trivial...

Some dealers in the Pacific Northwest add what they call a “Northwest Market Adjustment” to the price of their new Corvettes to the tune of almost $10,000. This particular dealer usually has 2 or 3 new Vettes on the lot and it seems to me that anybody with an Internet connection would know better than to fall for that one. Maybe it’s used as a starting point for negotiating the price.

Just seems pretty shady/greedy to me.

The following 2 users liked this post by ExRedRacer:
CorvetteBrent (08-20-2018), Slynky (08-21-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 12:34 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

You're going to have to itemize this: It looks like you got hosed @ $66,435......
Slynky (08-21-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 12:42 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by montanaman
Plus one on new buyers looking in states where the snow flies in 2 months. I made a pretty slick deal on a "new" 2017 2LT with about 14k in options for 26% off MSRP. The dealership in Idaho where I bought the car ( I live in Montana) does huge volume but not on Corvette's. There were no BS fee's. I had a cashiers check made out to them for 52k and was originally looking at another used 2016 Z51. That car was nice but the "used" (1300 miles) bothered me a bit. They happened to have a new 2017 in Arctic white nicely loaded up for 4k more than I was willing to pay for the 2016. The "super discounted no haggle price" they had on the car was $55,999. I bought it for 53k ( so much for the "no haggle"). I live in Montana so there was no sales tax and they had no issue with that. They had a "doc fee" to register the car for $120.00 and I told them that was to be included in the 53k. I've bought/leased a lot of new cars but I've never had a receipt that reads so short. One extra line for the doc fee that is included in the only other line on the invoice which is the total drive off of 53k. The windows were even tinted perfectly. I realize this is not a typical scenario.

The moral of the story is this beautiful car has been sitting on their showroom floor for almost 2 years and if they didn't sell it now it would be 3 years or off to auction. They actually had to put a new battery in it just to get the doors open and the car operational so this is the 3rd battery for a car with 26 miles on the clock. Yes it's a 2 year old car technically but the new car warranty is the same as a 2019 so there's that. I doubt I could have made this kind of deal in Arizona,Vegas or any major market. Sometimes you have to go out into the wilderness and shake a few trees.
At -26% OFF MSRP - you killed it!

None of the long distance built to order OR the in-stock, long distance peasant Internet Queens here
got anywhere near -26% OFF!

Your car is equipped right, and you killed it!!

​​​​​​​
CorvetteBrent (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 09:35 AM
mtaxman
Burning Brakes

Received 335 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Slynky
So, headed up to talk about ordering a Corvette from Rick Hendrick (Duluth, GA) today. I have a piece of paper they used when trying to sell me a Corvette off the lot. Noticed the usual bullchit administrative charge (in this case, a whopping $699). What bugs me, though, are two other charges. "Car Care" charge of $549 and a Maintenance charge of $299.

GAWD, do I hate going to argue with salespeople.

Anyone have any knowledge of just what the heck these two charges are???

Thanks !
I bought my GS from Hendrick in Charleston - great experience.
SC regulates fees. Paid $500 and no other add ons...I was buying via GM Family First....
I find GA dealers ( I live in SAV ) are fast and loose with fees and upcharges.

Last edited by mtaxman; 08-20-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Slynky (08-21-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 09:41 AM
DavidandJoansVette
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Somebody has to pay for the NASCAR stuff. Especially since Lowe's is bailing at the end of the year.
Slynky (08-21-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 10:59 AM
nightroddersp
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Got my 17 Stingray at Rick Hendricks/Norfolk. I've had to deal with worse. Ford was one and the KIA dealers, WOW. I gave Hendricks the price I was willing to pay for the car and how much of a down payment I was going to make and let them go to work. I didn't care how they moved the numbers around as long as it is what I wanted to pay. I can't really say anything bad about my Dealer accept their parking is the worst with all them sexy Vettes in the way.
Slynky (08-21-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 11:33 AM
JasonAndrew
Safety Car

Received 270 Likes on 169 Posts

Well, I'm going to ask them to remove it. I don't really care if it does anything or not...

Thanks for your reply.
Get the vette, and make THAT your avatar!
Slynky (08-21-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 11:45 AM
MyOtherCar
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BELVIN20
I would never buy from a dealership that has all the crazy add on charges. Go to one of the Forum dealers and get a car without all that crap. I have noticed the Hendrick dealers are one of the worst for add on extra chargers, I would never buy from those type of dealers.
true dat, I find them to be one of the worst dealerships for that practice of lightning our wallet without any tangible product, and it doesn't matter if it is a Corvette or a Spark!, or the othe Hendricks dealerships. Run Forrest, run!!
Slynky (08-21-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 08:19 PM
DSOMDream
Burning Brakes

Received 226 Likes on 166 Posts

Rick needs the $$$ for million dollar cars! Paul
Old 08-20-2018, 10:40 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Frankly I bought my first two Vettes locally by going to the sales manager with a print-out of exactly what I wanted, the MSRP and dealer Invocie for each item. Put it on his desk and stating (politely) what I would pay! I knew there were hold backs and stated I would not pay any extra protection, advertising or processing fees etc. Bought my '88 and '93 Vettes that way. They ordered and I got exactly what I wanted in ~6/8 weeks.

The last 3 Vettes I bought from large dealers, two from Kerbeck. What a pleasure. No hassles, no trying to guess at the hold backs, no extras for local advertising or all the other BS! Just look at the prices/discounts of the over 200 cars they have in inventory and that is what I paid for one they ordered- built for me. Since they buy ~25 week no waiting to place the order or for allocation etc.

My current a 2017 the Grand Sport, was bought from Kerbeck in a 10 minute phone call and I found a small dealer 30 miles away that accepted Courtesy Delivery for a flat $250- not one penny more. Their service department was happy to get paid by GM for the prep and separately by GM for installing the side skirts and splitter. Only their C7 Tech touches Vettes. The service manager's wife has a 2016 Vette! Was so impressed I did not use the large Chevy dealer in town for the recent software update, went there. It was done in 1 hour! Great folks, great no hassle purchase.

The days of haggling in buying a Vette are gone for me!
You guys do know that haggling and negotiating is the same exact same thing, right? If you are going in telling them what you want to pay, then you are haggling over the price. A no haggle dealership, like the old Saturn dealers and Honda, don't haggle at all. They tell you how much they want for the vehicle, and you can take it or leave it.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:30 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

^^^

I "negotiated" with many distributors or large fabricators buying million dollar CNC plasma cutting machines. I just "haggled" with the salesman for the wife's new BMW SUV! Never haggled with distributors or large fabricators coming up with the product cost, except when selling in the Middle East!

Dictionary: haggle. [hag-uh l] to bargain in a petty, quibbling, and often contentious manner: They spent hours haggling over the price of fish.

Last edited by JerryU; 08-21-2018 at 06:34 AM.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:22 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Have you considered the GM Supplier discount? The Corvette Museum offers it for members. $200 over invoice and no BS charges.
https://www.corvettemuseum.org/support/membership/

https://www.gmsupplierdiscount.com/

Last edited by John Ulrich; 08-21-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Slynky (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 12:29 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by JK 23112
I am happy that Hendrick was able to get you the car you wanted at what you think is a fair price. That is the way it is supposed to be. Regarding the Hendrick dealer near Richmond (VA), their service department is excellent and I had my first "free" service done there on my 2017 Stingray. They were awesome in that respect.

Their sales department and its practices were deplorable, though. When I was in the market (before buying, but absolutely ready to order my new Corvette), they were one of the three that came up as "preferred dealers" with my credit union. The guy who showed me their in-stock models was nice and fairly well-informed, but I cringed when their new Corvettes were parked underneath pigeon's nests in their "parking deck" behind the showroom building. He gave me some basic information, but we never talked an exact price. A few days later, someone (a manager, I think) called me. I told her exactly what I wanted (I had done my homework) regarding color, options, etc., etc.

She said they had great financing options, but I was planning to pay cash for the car. They told me about their "good" offers for trade-ins, but I did not have a trade-in because the Corvette was going to be my 'second' car. I had gotten a price (to the dollar) from two other local dealers - but it was still like pulling teeth. Hendrick would not give me a "firm" price on a factory order! They got kind of indignant with me and she reluctantly quoted me a price that was about $2,000 below full MSRP - plus their "fees" that amount to six or seven hundred dollars!! No thanks. I was 51 years old (fall of of 2016) and they assumed I was some wet behind the ears kid because this was going to be my first Corvette - but definitely NOT my first time buying a damn car.

I would suggest that you look very hard at the three big forum dealers (Criswell, Kerbeck and McMulkin) - all of whom will give you a straight-up price. I chose to deal with Mike Furman at Criswell and would highly recommend him. He reached out to me on this forum and I drove up to see him (with an appointment) at the Criswell location in Gaithersburg. He was totally no-pressure, easy to deal with and VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE about anything to do with a Corvette. I knew what I wanted to order - Stingray, 2LT, NPP exhaust, Torch Red w/ black interior, wet-sump (non-Z51) oil system, battery protection package, 7spd manual and black wheels.

He gave me some great advice on ordering the black wheels WITH the red brake calipers and the blackout trim for the emblems. He told me to "sleep on it" for a week.......which I did. I then called him, sent an email back and forth to confirm my options, etc., etc., gave him a deposit on my debit card - and he submitted the order to GM the following morning. He kept in touch quite often during the build process and got me the car about a week earlier than promised. I took an Uber up to Gaithersburg (from Richmond) and drove home my car with less than an hour of paperwork. I did not finance the car and I had no trade-in to mess with. Criswell did have a processing fee ($200, I think), but he disclosed it up front and never tried to add on ADP, ADM or other bogus charges. There is good reason why he has sold more than 4,000 Corvettes in his career.

My advice? Read through the posts on this forum. There is a wealth of knowledge here and you will never ask a question for which someone here can't provide an answer. Some people here like to snipe at each other from time to time, but it's a good bunch of folks from all over the country.
Thanks for taking time to reply with a long informative message. Since the thread has grown a bit, you may have missed the fact I was treated well at Hendrick and have already made my order. I've been told by the Corvette team that getting a number after registering for the military discount will cut the Admin charge to $75 from $699. That and receiving 12½% off MSRP for an ordered car seems to make it a fair deal. Thanks again !
Old 08-21-2018, 12:31 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidandJoansVette
Somebody has to pay for the NASCAR stuff. Especially since Lowe's is bailing at the end of the year.
LOL... true dat !
Old 08-21-2018, 01:07 PM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

So, headed up to talk about ordering a Corvette from Rick Hendrick (Duluth, GA) today. I have a piece of paper they used when trying to sell me a Corvette off the lot. Noticed the usual bullchit administrative charge (in this case, a whopping $699). What bugs me, though, are two other charges. "Car Care" charge of $549 and a Maintenance charge of $299.

Thanks !
They are additional dealer markups they add on to pad their profit, nothing more. When a Dealer starts with that BS on me, I just explain to them that there are many other Dealers that sell the same vehicles that they do, and don't engage in the "add on" BS, so either those charges are off the table or I'm out the door. If they don't remove those charges, find another (better) Dealer.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer "BS" Charges...

Old 08-21-2018, 01:13 PM
SoFloVette
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 65 Posts

I had a dealership try an charge me $400.00 for air. Turns out the tires were filled with PurigeN98 air. I told them to take it out and put regular air in it and remove the charge.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:32 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

Thanks !
I saw that they charge $249 for nitrogen. My guy...$0
Old 08-21-2018, 03:50 PM
speed4tu
Drifting

Received 372 Likes on 262 Posts

I never even bother worrying about those charges. I just go in and tell them what i'll pay. Take it or leave it. I don't care how they do their numbers one way or the other. Just get to my price and we're good. If they choose to give me $1 for my trade but sell the new car very cheap then its all good.

Quick Reply: Dealer "BS" Charges...