Sponsored by:

Corvette Racing VIR Tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 05:16 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by TKgs2010
And this year's M8, but at least you can actually buy one.
Good point. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:20 PM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet Interested

Good point. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:27 PM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Foosh
BOP hasn't changed for them since early in the season unless something happened after the last race at RA two weeks ago that I haven't heard about. As we've often seen, certain tracks favor certain cars, and they've been quick in spurts at a lot of places this year. Their problem is they either break or they screw up in the pits. Short races certainly favor them, because they've been miserable in the endurance races w/ regard to mechanical reliability.

It was an interesting day as far as the standings are concerned. The 2nd place finish (32 points) for the #3 C7R put them in the team car/drivers points lead after the lead #67 FGT broke down early, and finished 7th. Even though #67 has won 3 races this year, they are now in 3rd. That just goes to show how important podium finishes are because the #3 car hasn't won a race this year, but are now the points leader. #66 moved into 2nd with a 4th place finish and 28 points.

Totals below do not include today's results.

Ford remains in control of the manufacturer's championship standings, but lost 4 points to Chevrolet today. Ford is now leading 293 to 283 w/ 2 races left to go. They need to win both of the last two races, AND hope neither FGT finishes on the podium. Best finishing car gets the points in this title race.

Still a shot at the Driver's title, but I think the Manufacturer's title is all but gone. Sure would've been good to get Lime Rock and Road America, the 2 that got away, but that's racing, you need to be good AND lucky. Next season won't get any easier with Aston Martin rumored to be coming into GTLM with a 2 car Factory effort. Hot rumor is that Wayne Taylor Racing is a possible entrant for the program. Keep them coming, and let's get that C8R up and running.
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 05:31 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Agree, Ford has had all the good luck lately, but eventually it will turn on you as it did to #67 today. They had the fastest car in qualifying and the fastest car at the start of the race, and then their racing luck ran out. Next year will be amazing if AM shows up, and Ferrari comes back.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-19-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:35 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Agree, Ford has had all the good luck lately, but eventually it will turn on you as it did to #67 today. Next year will be amazing.
This series keeps getting better and better! We love going to Long Beach.
Foosh (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 06:34 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Received 976 Likes on 532 Posts

I didn't say record, I said stream it if you have the FoxGo app on your phone. If you had, you could have watched it live with your phone hooked to a big screen. That's what I do. iPhones have an adapter which hooks into the HDMI port of any flat screen. It mirrors your phone screen on a big screen, and it is in HD.
“I” said it’s not recordable. I’m not always able to watch it live (other responsibilities). I can DVR FS1.
I fully understand and have for quite some time used Apple TV to mirror. BTW I sell commercial and industrial grade tech. I’m quite adept in that regard.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:11 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

OK, cool. It wasn't clear to me you were trying to record it because you couldn't watch it live.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:11 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Just finished watching the race.Like I Stated:F'N FOX.What Network Splits a Race.
RETARDED! Thanks Foose for the phone hook up! Didn't know that...Screw the race coverage,other Tings will be on the Big Screen
Who would figure Ford Choking?? HA,Luv It!!
Some GREAT Aggressive Racing! And the finish in GTD,HOLY CRAP...AWESOME!
This Racing format is much better with the Prototype class Out.
Ohh,What a Great Looking Track.Wish i was out their with my GS Doing Laps
Don't forget Forum.If you want more info. and pictures and more about the Corvette Racing? Go to that TWEETER Page link.Then click on the different drivers to get it all covered
CORVETTE STYLE
Foosh (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 07:40 PM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DALE#3
Just finished watching the race.Like I Stated:F'N FOX.What Network Splits a Race.
RETARDED! Thanks Foose for the phone hook up! Didn't know that...Screw the race coverage,other Tings will be on the Big Screen
Don't forget Forum.If you want more info. and pictures and more about the Corvette Racing? Go to that TWEETER Page link.Then click on the different drivers to get it all covered
CORVETTE STYLE
Don't forget the Porsche blowing up, looks like karma finally bit them for all their bumper car antics this season. I liked Tommy Kendall's take on recent examples of Porsche drivers actions.
Foosh (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 07:49 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TKgs2010
Don't forget the Porsche blowing up, looks like karma finally bit them for all their bumper car antics this season. I liked Tommy Kendall's take on recent examples of Porsche drivers actions.
Funny how sometimes you Cut your own tires
Gee,THAT'S TOO BAD! HA
Big fan of Tommy

Old 08-19-2018, 07:51 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

OK, cool. It wasn't clear to me you were trying to record it because you couldn't watch it live.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:02 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

CORVETTE STYLE
I wouldn't say Ford choked, sometimes stuff just breaks, AKA your racing luck goes south.

I do enjoy the races without the prototypes more than any other. I'm totally into the GT cars and not at all interested in the prototypes. They do serve a useful purpose for development purposes, and I don't think a prototype-only series could stand on it's own, but they do make a mess of things for the GT classes routinely.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:30 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

I wouldn't say Ford choked, sometimes stuff just breaks, AKA your racing luck goes south.

but they do make a mess of things for the GT classes routinely.
Especially when they try to lap the field.Witch is a constant.
I went extreme with the Choke.Yes Sir,Anything can break at any time,Especially mechanical.Now add the extreme test...Racing
I know that you know these Tings
The Season is getting Very Interesting!

Old 08-19-2018, 08:44 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

I do enjoy the races without the prototypes more than any other. I'm totally into the GT cars and not at all interested in the prototypes. They do serve a useful purpose for development purposes, and I don't think a prototype-only series could stand on it's own, but they do make a mess of things for the GT classes routinely.
Juan Pablo Montoya thinks it's the other way around. Evidently at a drivers meeting a few races ago, he threw a fit about how the "lesser class cars" weren't moving out of their way to let the prototypes go by. He evidently felt that racing for position in his class was far more important than other drivers racing for position in their own classes.

It didn't make him any friends I'm sure.

I do think the speed differences between the Prototypes and the GTLM/GTD cars is too great. IMSA is buttering their bread with the Prototypes so I only expect this to get worse.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:48 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

I like the separate GT and Prototype races too. I'm more into the GT cars myself, but I like the Prototypes too. I always loved the GTP cars, and more recently, the P1's from Audi and Peugeot, I was at Sebring the last time the P1's raced over here, and the raw speed of those cars, especially the Peugeots was pretty impressive, on lap 3 they were already lapping cars. I was talking to Ron Fellows in the Corral tent, and I asked him about the speed differential, he said that's where the spotters really help, you look back and see the lights a few corners back, then a second later the guy is right on your bumper, you just get out of the way, because they're coming thru. Sounds like for next season the DP's will get a power increase, so that will make things more interesting at Daytona, Sebring and Road Atlanta.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:50 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Funny how sometimes you Cut your own tires
Gee,THAT'S TOO BAD! HA
Big fan of Tommy
Tommy Kendall does provide some great insights, he's driven both GT's and Prototypes.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:52 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mcrider
Juan Pablo Montoya thinks it's the other way around. Evidently at a drivers meeting a few races ago, he threw a fit about how the "lesser class cars" weren't moving out of their way to let the prototypes go by. He evidently felt that racing for position in his class was far more important than other drivers racing for position in their own classes.

It didn't make him any friends I'm sure.

I do think the speed differences between the Prototypes and the GTLM/GTD cars is too great. IMSA is buttering their bread with the Prototypes so I only expect this to get worse.
That stuff can come back to you in a bad way, Race Control talks to the drivers at every race, the faster cars can't expect the slower cars to just disappear, and being aggressive on passes just causes yellows.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Racing VIR Tomorrow

Old 08-20-2018, 06:09 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Default Any Rebroadcast?

Does anyone know of a rebroadcast of the entire race? Thanks.

Last edited by 2cnd Chance; 08-20-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:20 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by 2cnd Chance
Does anyone know of a rebroadcast of the entire race? Thanks.
They usually post the entire race to youtube within a couple of days. If you don't watch the race live, its the best way to go as it is commercial free and with the IMSA radio team.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:34 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

BOP hasn't changed for them since early in the season unless something happened after the last race at RA two weeks ago that I haven't heard about. As we've often seen, certain tracks favor certain cars, and they've been quick in spurts at a lot of places this year. Their problem is they either break or they screw up in the pits. Short races certainly favor them, because they've been miserable in the endurance races w/ regard to mechanical reliability.

BMW has had a ton of BOP. They were given a huge boost early before Long Beach, had most of that taken away before Watkins Glen, and then was given 3/4s of it back before Lime Rock and CTMP. There was no change for the last 2 races though (RA or VIR).

Like any new car, they have way too much performance given to them, but is needed to keep them competitive while they sort out the car and setups for various weather and tracks. As I've noted before, without changes, they will likely run away from the field next year as they hit tracks for the second time and have a year's worth of data to review. This will be no different for the C8.R either I'm sure. New cars get performance to be competitive and by the second and third year they need some of that performance dialed back as they improve the setups. Sometimes IMSA is a little slow to figure that out, so put your money on BMW for the first couple of races next year. RLL seems to be a step below the other factory teams in general as regards to setup, strategy, and reliability though.... They seem to race pretty hard and clean for the most part ,so it's great to have them out there
DALE#3 (08-20-2018)

Quick Reply: Corvette Racing VIR Tomorrow