Sponsored by:

How to upgrade 2LT interior to 3LT?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 05:43 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU

Had a 3LT 2014 Kalahari before GM got cheap and reduced the amount of colored material and made it a “patch work quite” appearance! All I could ever determine was the “seating surfaces” as GM states were Napa leather.

That was just reinforced in a thread where an engineer working for GM said they tested durability of the material used for the side bolsters. They found leather was NOT as good as the ~40% chopped leather made from scapes and mixed with similar stuff to vinyl GM calls Mulan (their coined name) or vinyl, don’t recall now which.

All you can get officially from GM is in a 3LT is the seating surfaces are Napa (real leather) and all other are Soft Touch stuff. Not sure what is made with chopped or ground leather scraps and which in vinyl. Frankly vinyl is probably more durable.
There's an "Ask Tadge" where he discusses the console armrest cover and says more or less that people want stuff to look and feel wonderful but wear like iron. I suspect this is also the case with these bolsters, and GM doesn't want to be replacing wear surfaces under warranty.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:56 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU

Had a 3LT 2014 Kalahari before GM got cheap and reduced the amount of colored material and made it a “patch work quite” appearance! All I could ever determine was the “seating surfaces” as GM states were Napa leather.

That was just reinforced in a thread where an engineer working for GM said they tested durability of the material used for the side bolsters. They found leather was NOT as good as the ~40% chopped leather made from scapes and mixed with similar stuff to vinyl GM calls Mulan (their coined name) or vinyl, don’t recall now which.

All you can get officially from GM is in a 3LT is the seating surfaces are Napa (real leather) and all other are Soft Touch stuff. Not sure what is made with chopped or ground leather scraps and which in vinyl. Frankly vinyl is probably more durable.
It would suit me fine if GM used vinyl for the seat bolsters.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:57 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

^^^
From the posts in the Thread on the subject several months ago and all I was ever “sure” from GM statements is on my 2014 3LT, the only real leather I had was “the seating surfaces.” Not sure if the other colored and black “soft surfaces” were vinyl or essentially vinyl that uses up to 40% ground leather scraps as a filler GM calls Mulan!

Last edited by JerryU; 08-21-2018 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:38 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Bolsters are a heavy wear item/area on a Corvette. Vinyl is likely to be able to withstand wear better than leather.

The 3LT luxuriously soft and attractive leather surfaces are a Home Run in a new Corvette. Everywhere you look in a 3LT there's beautiful, rich leather! I wouldn't own a Corvette without it!

Quick Reply: How to upgrade 2LT interior to 3LT?