Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to upgrade 2LT interior to 3LT?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 09:39 PM
younglifecrisis
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How to upgrade 2LT interior to 3LT?

I'm looking at a 2lt Corvette, and it has almost everything I want except for it's a 2lt so I wouldn'twhave the added interior adrenaline red pieces included with a 3lt. Where can I get these pieces, how much would it be, and if I can't install it myself, who can I get it installed by and for how much? I have similar questions for getting a black top. Thanks
Old 08-21-2018, 07:11 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

You are probably better off just buying what you want. While it can be done, (look on the forum for lots of videos of how to do it), the labor would be a killer. as well as the mark up on dealer parts...
Old 08-21-2018, 07:22 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,589 Likes on 5,558 Posts

Just be patient and keep looking for what you want, it's out there even if you have to purchase out of state. Or order new, it only takes 6>8 weeks for delivery.
Swapping out interior and top would be a real PITA and expensive.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:42 AM
Malum1
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Just be patient and keep looking for what you want, it's out there even if you have to purchase out of state. Or order new, it only takes 6>8 weeks for delivery.
wapping out interior and top would be a real PITA and expensive.
For my 2 cents worth, I agree with the above. Don't spend money on something that clearly doesn't meet your desires. The one you want is out there, just have to do more research.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:32 AM
Ed'sC7
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Dash pieces are easy to come by and install. The door panels are the costly pieces. If you want the red in the door panels you'll need to buy the whole panel. I've looked into this and have not found anyone that just has the door panel red pieces separate.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:05 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,109 Likes on 749 Posts

The 2LT comes with Mulan leather and the 3LT comes with Napa leather. Napa leather is the real stuff, it feels and smells like leather. As mentioned, your BIG problem will be changing out the door panels. The arm rest is molded into the door panel and you will have to change out the entire door panel. BIG money for the panels and labor. I just changed out the Dash pad, but it is a PITA because you have to take out the glove box and part of the center console.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:15 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,499 Likes on 3,586 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Keep looking to get what you want, my recommendation you will find that 3LT of your dreams, don't rush, and regret it tomorrow.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:15 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

There have been multiple people posting about the 3LT dash pad coming loose or distorted. GM frequently disowns the problem, the fix is expensive and difficult.
3LT may look a bit nicer, but I would prefer the 2LT over the 3LT.

That may make buying the 2LT and adding some 3LT panels, a viable choice.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:25 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

Not inclusive yet it seems the diff between 2 & 3 are Leather/ Sueded interior, Navigation, PDR.
What the price diff when purchased new - is it 5K?
Seems to me the differences are all interior options.

Adding "piece meal" does seem like a valid option.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:32 AM
younglifecrisis
Advanced

Thanks all for the advice. After doing some research, it does seem like it's not only expensive (~$1500) but labor intensive as well. And if I don't do it myself, which I probably won't, it would be even more expensive.

Problem is I've been looking for a couple months now, and I've only found 1 car that met my requirements at a price I can deal with. As for getting new, this would be around ~$20-25k more so I'd rather go the used route.

I have seen the posts about the 3lt parts giving problems, but it looks so good!

I completely get waiting for the right car for me, but I need a car so if I can get close enough, that might be fine. But regretting it afterwards is a big concern.
The following users liked this post:
Malum1 (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 11:46 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by younglifecrisis
Thanks all for the advice. After doing some research, it does seem like it's not only expensive (~$1500) but labor intensive as well. And if I don't do it myself, which I probably won't, it would be even more expensive.

Problem is I've been looking for a couple months now, and I've only found 1 car that met my requirements at a price I can deal with. As for getting new, this would be around ~$20-25k more so I'd rather go the used route.

I have seen the posts about the 3lt parts giving problems, but it looks so good!

I completely get waiting for the right car for me, but I need a car so if I can get close enough, that might be fine. But regretting it afterwards is a big concern.
If you're already on a budget, I would say just get a nice car in your price range and don't worry about it.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:04 PM
younglifecrisis
Advanced

Originally Posted by fsvoboda
If you're already on a budget, I would say just get a nice car in your price range and don't worry about it.
Yeah but the problem with that is for used, the 2lt and the 3lt are around the same price.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:06 PM
younglifecrisis
Advanced

Also another question, will the pieces I need to get not match with the leather of the rest of the interior since it's 2lt?
Old 08-21-2018, 12:35 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Yeah but the problem with that is for used, the 2lt and the 3lt are around the same price.
If you're in the used market you've got to enjoy the hunt, I think, and also the fact that you never know exactly what vehicle you're going to find. It's not like doing a factory order where you can determine the outcome (within the range of possibilities the factory offers).

As an aside, my father always bought used for his second cars, was an avid seeker of unusual vehicles, and we never knew exactly what he would come home with--nor did he. He did come up with consistently interesting cars, very different from the conservative sedans that he bought as his new cars. (He was a minister and needed something fairly conservative for a first car. Second cars included a '57 Chevy V-8 in bright turquoise, a Chevelle SS396, a Z-28 Camaro clone in screaming yellow and many similar. He even came home one day with a '56 Corvette, but my mother vetoed that.)

Last edited by fsvoboda; 08-21-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:55 PM
younglifecrisis
Advanced

Originally Posted by fsvoboda
If you're in the used market you've got to enjoy the hunt, I think, and also the fact that you never know exactly what vehicle you're going to find. It's not like doing a factory order where you can determine the outcome (within the range of possibilities the factory offers).
I've enjoyed the hunt for a couple months, but I really need a car.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:08 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

I've enjoyed the hunt for a couple months, but I really need a car.
Heh-heh.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:05 PM
younglifecrisis
Advanced

Ok guys and gals, 2014 car with the 3lt I want which is $3.5k more than a 2016 car with 2lt which I'd have to upgrade if I want the 3lt. Both similar miles. Or just pass on both.

Get notified of new replies

To How to upgrade 2LT interior to 3LT?

Old 08-21-2018, 03:12 PM
monicatomokc
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 153 Posts

I'm looking at a 2lt Corvette, and it has almost everything I want except for it's a 2lt so I wouldn'twhave the added interior adrenaline red pieces included with a 3lt. Where can I get these pieces, how much would it be, and if I can't install it myself, who can I get it installed by and for how much? I have similar questions for getting a black top. Thanks
It's been several years now since I did kinda what you're talking about here, but the company here in OKC doesn't do this anymore, so I'm told. Buying 3LT replacement parts would get very expensive. I went a different route and took the pieces I wanted to match my Adrenaline Red seats to a local company to do the work. So, depending on whether there are some good upholstery/interior shops in your area that might be willing to tackle such a job, you might as well keep up the search for a 3LT car out there somewhere to your taste. Just in case you're wondering, here's what I posted on my experience back when I did mine, here's the link:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lt-pieces.html

Good luck!!
Old 08-21-2018, 05:30 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,605 Likes on 6,618 Posts

Originally Posted by Red-C6 of Jax
The 2LT comes with Mulan leather and the 3LT comes with Napa leather. Napa leather is the real stuff, it feels and smells like leather. As mentioned, your BIG problem will be changing out the door panels. The arm rest is molded into the door panel and you will have to change out the entire door panel. BIG money for the panels and labor. I just changed out the Dash pad, but it is a PITA because you have to take out the glove box and part of the center console.
Had a 3LT 2014 Kalahari before GM got cheap and reduced the amount of colored material and made it a “patch work quite” appearance! All I could ever determine was the “seating surfaces” as GM states were Napa leather.

That was just reinforced in a thread where an engineer working for GM said they tested durability of the material used for the side bolsters. They found leather was NOT as good as the ~40% chopped leather made from scapes and mixed with similar stuff to vinyl GM calls Mulan (their coined name) or vinyl, don’t recall now which.

All you can get officially from GM is in a 3LT is the seating surfaces are Napa (real leather) and all other are Soft Touch stuff. Not sure what is made with chopped or ground leather scraps and which in vinyl. Frankly vinyl is probably more durable.

Last edited by JerryU; 08-21-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:30 PM
Thompyt
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

You don't have to buy all new parts. There are some on EBay and parts yards where you don't have to pay full price. I don't mind tearing stuff apart. I intend to change my seat backs to competition seats. A bit extra and I can change out the seat bottoms to a new color along with the new tops.

Quick Reply: How to upgrade 2LT interior to 3LT?