C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Is this NORMAL????

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 10:29 PM
Null Pointer
Exception ID 10T
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 506 Likes on 333 Posts

Well, the hood looks great and glad your turmoil with that is over. I hope the tapping is nothing, injectors maybe?
Old 10-21-2018, 10:40 PM
Donuts
Race Director

Received 113 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin1106
Bigger problems now... I have 640 miles on my car.. today, I noticed a tapping sound coming from the engine.. exhaust note didn’t sound right either. Idle also didn’t sound right.. so I turned the car off for 10 min, started it back up and it did it again... so I came home ( short 1 mile drive) and as I was backing in the garage, the sound went away and the car seemed fine.

So I called my buddy who works at my dealer.. he is looking into it now.. he asked for my vin so I’m waiting on a return phone call... idk but I’m so bummed right now.
do you live in the country or near a pond? Sounds like you have a mouse a rat problem

Last edited by Donuts; 10-21-2018 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:57 PM
Ron'sGS
Burning Brakes

Received 266 Likes on 198 Posts

The hood looks so much better, than the previous one. I’m glad that you got it resolved..
Old 10-22-2018, 08:49 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Bigger problems now... I have 640 miles on my car.. today, I noticed a tapping sound coming from the engine.. exhaust note didn’t sound right either. Idle also didn’t sound right.. so I turned the car off for 10 min, started it back up and it did it again... so I came home ( short 1 mile drive) and as I was backing in the garage, the sound went away and the car seemed fine.

So I called my buddy who works at my dealer.. he is looking into it now.. he asked for my vin so I’m waiting on a return phone call... idk but I’m so bummed right now.
It's getting colder out! Don't panic and call your buddy when it's 45 F as you make a full lock slow speed turn and the car "hops!" Yep GM calls it 'Chatter or "Hoping" and hoping fits what it feels like! Just turn the wheel less and make a "K" turn! That is what I have done since my 2014 C7!
Old 10-22-2018, 10:15 AM
DomLS3
Pro

Received 186 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
I know the business well, if the salesman is putting you off to GM, then they dont intend to help you.

It is not your responsibility to fix this, it is their responsibility.

Most state laws give a few day window to object to a new vehicle.

you are passing on your opportunity to get this fixed.

Mark my words, if you dont get the dealer to commit to resolve it REGARDLESS if gm assists them or not, you are screwing yourself. I dont anticipate this thread ending well anytime soon. You will be paying for a new hood because today is the final day of the time limit in most states for you to raise hell with the dealer.

you arent dealing with an average salesman, you are dealing with one who knows the hoods SHOULD match, and is playing stupid and telling you "its normal"

thats the red flag here.

And you guys arent picking up on that. And you are thinking you OWE him kindness at this point. After he lied to you.

Do it your way, i already know how this ends. You are about to get screwed... unless he steps up and makes something happen on his end, GM WILL NOT help you.

I also know if a customer is in a GM's office of a dealership, raising hell about this, the problem WILL be resolved. They have too much to lose, if you know all that I know on ways they can be legally punished for this.

You need a 100% commitment TODAY, that regardless if GM helps them or not, you will be getting a NEW HOOD from the GM FACILITY, that matches your car.
Dude... is it possible for you to write a comment without a wall of text? Every time I see you comment on something... it's longer than The Great Wall of China.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:09 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,156 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Does the tapping sound like this?
Old 10-22-2018, 11:11 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,156 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U

https://youtu.be/q5Oi3RcN23E

Or this sound?
Old 10-22-2018, 11:23 AM
DomLS3
Pro

Received 186 Likes on 116 Posts

Run a code scanner and see what comes up.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:06 PM
Kevin1106
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

https://youtu.be/q5Oi3RcN23E

no mine was louder than that.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:07 PM
Kevin1106
Instructor

nope,mine was still louder. Next time it does it, I’ll record it.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:16 PM
Kevin1106
Instructor

Well my buddy called me back and asked me what type of oil filter I used at my 500 mile oil change. I told him I used a Mobil 1 filter and royal purple 5w-30 oil since 0W-40 wasn’t available at autozone.

He told me there was a bulliten on his GM web site saying something about only using a AC Delco Oil filter, due to others being more restrictive. Personally I have never heard of such a thing but anyways, I’m taking the car to him this thursday to do another oil change with 0W-40 and a AC delco oil filter since it’s free to me anyways.

So I have my fingers crossed. I’ll post back with some feed back once I get it done.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:17 PM
Kevin1106
Instructor

Originally Posted by djpelosi
Run a code scanner and see what comes up.
did that, nothing showed up.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:20 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Well my buddy called me back and asked me what type of oil filter I used at my 500 mile oil change. I told him I used a Mobil 1 filter and royal purple 5w-30 oil since 0W-40 wasn’t available at autozone.

He told me there was a bulliten on his GM web site saying something about only using a AC Delco Oil filter, due to others being more restrictive. Personally I have never heard of such a thing but anyways, I’m taking the car to him this thursday to do another oil change with 0W-40 and a AC delco oil filter since it’s free to me anyways.

With the new computer controlled variable volume oil pump used on the C7 (the reason oil pressures are lower under most driving conditions) the oil filter spec changed. It has to do with the pressure relive spring value and what pressure the oil bypasses the filter. Don't think it is a restriction issue.

FWIW. Been using an AC filter and Mobil 1 5-30 dexos certified in 5 quart jugs from Walmart since I got my 2014 Z51 in October 2013 and now in my Grand Sport. Mobil offers a $12 rebate per quart two allowed. So I wind up paying ~$2.40/quart. Hard to beat the price and it's what is recommended. They have been running that rebate twice a year and it lasts for several months.

No need to mail anything in to get the $24 (two $12.) All done on their website. Scan the receipt (or take pic with your cell phone) and attach were indicated on their website where you fill out your name etc.

Last edited by JerryU; 10-23-2018 at 05:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Is this NORMAL????