Sponsored by:

GM customer service at its worst

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 12:52 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Originally Posted by montanaman
Wow. I just bought a new 2017 C7. I looked the car over as close as I could before I took it home. It was in the actual showroom and I pretty much detailed it in front of everyone. The only blemish I noticed was a little paint that looks like it rubbed off where the front bumper/fascia sits below the fender on the right side of the car. It's only where the seam is and I can only hope it gets no worse. This is the first domestic car I have bought in my 57 years. I have always stayed away due to quality concerns. You would think they would have gotten better but I don't know. I love the car and hope to hell I have a fairly reliable experience or this will be the last.
Alls I can tell you is that you have got to be aware that problems can surface or be discovered at any time going forward with your new car. Such was/is the case with my fractured/splintered wheel wells. By the time I discovered this, I'd owned the car 4 months. 400 miles on new car. I immediately called my sales rep. and emailed him photos of the damaged wheel wells caused by the anchor straps on the transport at some point to the dealer from the factory in Bowling Green, KY. Whether the Chev. dealer will accept the responsibility of fixing it, is anyone's guess. It's impossible to blame the customer for all the paint and body damage that develops or is discovered after the customer leaves the lot.

Old 08-23-2018, 02:41 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
I get your point.
I just dont see how it helps.
Obviously something went wrong in this specific situation, but the proper people are now aware of the facts and they are going to take care of it. I see this as good news.
There's really not much else to say.
There's your problem. You assume that I commented in order to help. I didn't. It wasn't really my aim to provide help - how could I really? I was merely commenting on the fact that the service manager should have handled the situation. Why that seemed to have rubbed you the wrong way is something you'll need to search your soul for. I can't help you there either.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:11 PM
IRMB
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ashmostro
I think you're missing the greater point. This isn't an issue of measuring how well one can navigate a beaureacracy, it's about accountability.
this. as customers it's not OUR responsibility to know how THEIR business runs.

internet forums never fail to blame the victim.
The following users liked this post:
ashmostro (08-24-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 03:31 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Originally Posted by ashmostro
I think you're missing the greater point. This isn't an issue of measuring how well one can navigate a beaureacracy, it's about accountability.
This right here ^^^^ /thread......

I applaud (as we all do) Dave@Kerbeck Chevrolet/Corvette stepping forward here.

But the question remains; why do most if not all dealerships of any size knowingly allow loose cannons in their employ, to indict customers in a rush to judgment? Often times, these are Department Managers throwing their weight
around. Do they never learn? Do they never hold companywide or Department Heads QC meetings and set forth 360° proper care for their customers?
The following users liked this post:
ashmostro (08-24-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 04:04 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
This right here ^^^^ /thread......

I applaud (as we all do) Dave@Kerbeck Chevrolet/Corvette stepping forward here.

But the question remains; why do most if not all dealerships of any size knowingly allow loose cannons in their employ, to indict customers in a rush to judgment? Often times, these are Department Managers throwing their weight
around. Do they never learn? Do they never hold companywide or Department Heads QC meetings and set forth 360° proper care for their customers?
I seriously doubt this is some "loose cannon" using your words. I suppose it could be, but its pretty unlikely. Some sort of communication failure about what was supposed to happen with the car in question is much more likely. Just because something went wrong doesn't mean some sort of nefarious action has occurred. Sometimes mistakes are just mistakes.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:58 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Regarding bad customer service... I chalk this up to the fact that we have full employment and a very low unemployment rate. That means all those dumbasses who previously were out of work are now servicing you.... badly...
Old 08-23-2018, 06:09 PM
swaite
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

This person only was doing what she was told. She had no authority to do anything and was only doing what her training by GM told her to do. I’m not mad at her. How much do you think GM saves by people giving up valid claims after a conversation like that.

Originally Posted by defaria
Regarding bad customer service... I chalk this up to the fact that we have full employment and a very low unemployment rate. That means all those dumbasses who previously were out of work are now servicing you.... badly...

Last edited by swaite; 08-23-2018 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:39 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by swaite
This person only was doing what she was told. She had no authority to do anything and was only doing what her training by GM told her to do. I’m not mad at her. How much do you think GM saves by people giving up valid claims after a conversation like that.

The voice on your video sounds exactly like the person that I talked to on 3 different occasions after emailing Ms. Barra. On each occasion I could tell she was reading from a script as she was not knowledgeable about the issue even though it has been discussed on this forum in multiple threads including one that exceeds 2000 posts. It is very sad that a company as large as GM cannot employ individuals with the necessary training and knowledge to do a good job.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:12 PM
TSLAVette
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 157 Posts

if you listen to the video it is in the conversation with the GM rep, you don’t have to believe me you can hear it happen.
I was defending you, not talking about you! I know your frustration and sympathize.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:13 PM
TSLAVette
Drifting

Did you even finish reading the thread ? Or are you lost too ?
You know what the best part is ?
I'm right.
Go read post 25#.

Loser.
Tool.

Last edited by TSLAVette; 08-23-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:19 PM
TSLAVette
Drifting

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
The voice on your video sounds exactly like the person that I talked to on 3 different occasions after emailing Ms. Barra. On each occasion I could tell she was reading from a script as she was not knowledgeable about the issue even though it has been discussed on this forum in multiple threads including one that exceeds 2000 posts. It is very sad that a company as large as GM cannot employ individuals with the necessary training and knowledge to do a good job.
Yep, soon it will be "Bob" from Manilla or "TJ" from Mumbai reading the script. At least GM pays minimum wage to Americans to disappoint Americans. Nothing pisses me off more than the Philippines pissing off Americans.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:21 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Thanks for re-enforcing my point. Just doing what you were told is mediocre customer service at best. You gotta admit, the customer experience can go either up or down from there so that's the middle of the road. Real customer experience starts above that line, and nightmares below that line. Taking on responsibility to go over just what you are told is the ticket to promotions and more pay, and, I might add, happier customers. It the way you get successful son. It's called treating the customer right, not just adequately or bear subsistence level. You don't need authority to do right by the customer, that's the stated goal to every customer service organization. Customers are why you are in business. Without them, you're not in business.

What terrible thing would happen if instead of telling the OP to call the body shop manager directly, or worse yet, say nothing and make the customer figure it out for himself or suffer a bad body shop job, if the service manager said "I agree, this doesn't look good. Hold on, I'll check with my body shop guy" and then got the job to be done correctly? If your boss would think less of you for doing the right thing and making the customer happy, when clearly the work was substandard, then you're working at the wrong place! I would never work under such conditions and I don't.

The rest of your statement is just a conspiracy theory and is dismissed as such.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:11 AM
warren s
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

According to the Black Book, 46 1972 Corvettes had non-standard paint, or primer only.
Might be time to bring this option back....
Old 08-25-2018, 09:03 AM
swaite
Racer

I’ve heard from a few people who have spoken to both Kerbeck and GM while at Carlisle on my behalf, thank you. I will be at the show Sunday.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:06 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Alls I can tell you is that you have got to be aware that problems can surface or be discovered at any time going forward with your new car. Such was/is the case with my fractured/splintered wheel wells. By the time I discovered this, I'd owned the car 4 months. 400 miles on new car. I immediately called my sales rep. and emailed him photos of the damaged wheel wells caused by the anchor straps on the transport at some point to the dealer from the factory in Bowling Green, KY. Whether the Chev. dealer will accept the responsibility of fixing it, is anyone's guess. It's impossible to blame the customer for all the paint and body damage that develops or is discovered after the customer leaves the lot.
How the hell do you not notice that for 4 MONTHS?! oh... it's skidmark, lol.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:10 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Fair enough. Now that I have all the info, Ill happily retract what I said about you sharing in the blame.
Instead, it seems as though GM paid Kerbeck once to handle this issue under warranty, and they don't want to pay them to do it again, which is understandable.
Kerbeck is now working for free on this particular issue and wants to spend as little time on it as possible.

Flat rate, and reduced warranty labor rates, strike again.
I agree his complaint is not with GM as GM paid Kerbeck to fix the problem , because Kerbeck wont fix their shoddy work why would one expect GM to pay again ....the OP has posted this same rant on facebook ...

I get that he paid over 100,000 for this car and the whole situation sucks but l would be jumping all over somebody's butt at Kerbeck ......not try to get GM to pay for a 2nd repair that should have been have been fixed the first time ..

Dave
Old 08-25-2018, 01:21 PM
Deweyox
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

a an effin "ethnic" salty a** b****. I would ask for her manager IMMEDIATELY. She is an argumentative C*** PERIOD

Get notified of new replies

To GM customer service at its worst

Old 08-25-2018, 01:25 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
I agree his complaint is not with GM as GM paid Kerbeck to fix the problem , because Kerbeck wont fix their shoddy work why would one expect GM to pay again ....the OP has posted this same rant on facebook ...

I get that he paid over 100,000 for this car and the whole situation sucks but l would be jumping all over somebody's butt at Kerbeck ......not try to get GM to pay for a 2nd repair that should have been have been fixed the first time ..

Dave
Yep … I agree 99%.

GM doesn't have perfectly clean hands in this, but complaining about them wont contribute to an actual solution either.
My beef with GM is the warranty time at 4.3 hours. There is no way on earth someone can remove this bumper cover, prep the areas for paint, then paint them, then reassemble everything paying the proper attention to detail, in 4.3 hours. No way. It probably takes that long just for the paint to dry, meanwhile the tech doing the work has a disassembled car in their stall...
This entire fiasco is just another example of how flat rate pay often screws the customer.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:26 PM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Deweyox
a an effin "ethnic" salty a** b****. I would ask for her manager IMMEDIATELY. She is an argumentative C*** PERIOD
Wow... And if she was a guy would you be using the same language? Or would he just be "doing his job?"
Old 08-25-2018, 02:34 PM
swaite
Racer

I don’t really care who was paid, my warranty is with GM not Kerbeck. It is GM’s responsibility to ensure the work is done correctly. I am frustrated with kerbeck and the shoddy work but why should I as the customer be forced to repeatedly go back to a dealership that is doing progressively bad work. I did go back to them twice and I contacted GM to remedy the situation and that is where the attached phone call picks up.

I assure you if it comes down to a lawsuit over breach of warranty the attorney will be going after GM not Kerbeck. GM will in turn go after their dealership.

Originally Posted by Dcasole

Dave

Quick Reply: GM customer service at its worst