Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

500 mile oil change question

Old 08-22-2018, 09:37 PM
corvette11
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 500 mile oil change question

I will be picking up my GS from the Museum on a Saturday and I have to drive home over 700 miles, there will not be any place to change the oil on my way home because it will be late that night before I get to 500 miles. I am going to ask them about this at the Museum, but I just wanted to see if anybody on here knew anything about this. Thanks for your help in advance.

Last edited by corvette11; 08-22-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:43 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

you will be fine Just dont run it hard till break in is over. Enjoy the drive it will be great
The following users liked this post:
corvette11 (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 10:09 PM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

my c7 with the dry sump oiler was delivered to Matick Chevy in Detroit on Dec 30, 2016, it sat inside their largest indoor showroom for almost 15 months with no mileage added. I drove a one-way up and picked it up on a Friday morning in March 2018 when it had 3 miles on the odo. I then drove 600 miles that day back to Va. Another couple days till I could get it into the dealer for the oil change and so the Dealer window sticker says the next oil change is due at 5692 miles. Just turned 4000 miles on it today and the dipstick hasn't moved a mm from oil usage; the motor purrs like a kitten and roars like a lion when I want. The A8 shifts smooth as silk. So I believe going 8 more miles than I did in a 15 month-old car, in your brand new factory-fresh at ground zero BG GS, will cause no harm to the vehicle's operation. Savor the delivery day, and drive, a real high point in life. Enjoy the speedo/tach color change at 500 miles, and, safe motoring!.
corvette11 (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 11:37 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,605 Likes on 6,618 Posts

Understand the reason why you are changing and you’ll see 700 or more miles are not a a problem, IF you don’t drive the car at sustained high speed with the original factory oil. That applies to only dry sumps for a reason.

The GM bulletin that came out 13 months after I got my 2013 Z51 dry sump! So I never did change the oil until I had 1500 miles and had no issue.

GM said that the silicone from curing engine seals MAY deplete the antifoam agents in the first oil fill IF the engine was operated at sustained high speed. That oil foam MIGHT burp with the air in the dry sump tank through a hose that goes to the air intake tube after the air filter. That foam could condense and run down to the air filter and drip on the ground.

Note: Wet sumps don’t have a dry sump tank or hose going to the air intake tube. Therefore oil foam won’t cause any issues.

In the years since I got my 2014 Z51 many more posts of Dealer overfilling dry sumps causing oil to drip from the air filter than ever had it occur from engines operating at sustained high speed with the initial oil fill!

In fact when you get it home and have a dealer change oil, check the oil level yourself after. Just read and follow the proceedure in the Owner’s Manual (get the oil hot and check after 5 minutes of the engine being shut off BUT not more than 10 minutes or excess oil will drain back to the oil pan resulting in a false low reading.) If it is over the Max line on the dipnstick make the dealer remove all excess! That caution is also in the Owner’s Manual.

Last edited by JerryU; 08-22-2018 at 11:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerryU:
corvette11 (08-23-2018), Maxpowers (08-23-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 07:31 AM
JGarland
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

Change it at 700 miles then.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:18 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

FWIW, since that GM bulletin was not issued for 13 months after I got my Z51 dry sump investigated the issue of oil foaming to try to understand the reasons. Turns out most oil includeds antifoam agents and silicone compounds are known to deplete or counter their effectiveness. But why 500 miles and not let the dealer change oil indealer prep as many could put on 500 miles in a day or two and the car takes longer to get to the dealer from Bowling Green?

Can only speculate as GM never said. The silicone from the curing engine seals, like the oil pan to engine block, probably needs heat to fully cure. That may be when the silicone compounds enter the oil. So time may not be the key factor, it’s time when the seals are hot!

Second, it’s NOT break-in oil as some has speculated as that went away years ago. That factory fill is standard Mobil 1. Same in wet and dry sumps. It’s also not to get rid of initial wear particles as some have also speculated. With current very good machining and parts quality that is not needed. If it were would be the same for wet sumps that only require a change when the OLM says that could be up to one year!

Therefor the 500 miles would appear to be long enough to have that 1st oil fill contain the silicone compounds causing “possible” oil foaming as GM stated IF the engine is operated at sustained high speeds.

As mentioned in my previous post, from reading forum posted since October 2013 on the subject, much more likely a dealer overfilling a dry sump will cause oil to flow into the intake air tube through the hose from the dry sump tank and run down and soak the air filter and drip on the ground, that folks operating the engine at “sustained high speeds.”

Last edited by JerryU; 08-23-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:43 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

I wonder if the OP is more concerned with his warranty if he cannot document the 500 mile oil change. Frankly, its a pretty good question.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:57 AM
JGarland
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
I wonder if the OP is more concerned with his warranty if he cannot document the 500 mile oil change. Frankly, its a pretty good question.
You change it when possible around 500 miles.

It wont void your warranty if its 525 or 700.

Old 08-23-2018, 09:02 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
IMO, that is a none issue! I did my own change for my Grand Sport at about 500 miles and my only proof is the receipts I have for the dexos Certifed oil and the proper AC filter! In fact did my own change when the OLM said at about 12 months.

Did all my own oil changes in my September 2013 built C7 Z51 as well. I do keep receipts. Folks can risk the dealer newbie tech that usually operates the oil change bay not using jack pucks to properly lift the car. Can assure you they did not buy them for their owned tool box or probably won’t go to the tool room to sign them out IF the dealer has them.

Then you risk the chance that since 99.5% of the cars/trucks where they change oil have one drain plug they know the dry sump has two (from posts where a dry sump was way overfilled-some did not!)

Then hope they did not go by what the Service Manual clearly says is an oil volume “estimate” in a table and they checked the oil level on the dip-stick that the Service Manual says should be done. It’s the level that is important not volume.

That assumes rather than going to the parts department and checking out and lugging 10 quarts of Mobil 1 to their work station they didn’t just pump oil from the 55 gallon drums in the oil change bay. The boss probably just buys the cheapest dexos approved oil that is fine for 99+% of the cars and trucks they service. There are several hundred brands listed in the GM that pay them a tribute to get the dexos cert. Some are blends!

To check the oil level in a dry sump requires getting the oil over 175F. That takes ~10 minutes at idle. Then they have to wait 5 minutes for the oil to drain down from the internal baffles. But they can’t wait more than 10 or excess oil will drain back to the oil pan and they will get a false low reading.

WONDER WHY SOME OF US DO OUR OWN OIL CHANGE?

Last edited by JerryU; 08-23-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:22 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by JGarland
You change it when possible around 500 miles.

It wont void your warranty if its 525 or 700.
Yeah that's pretty much what I figured.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:38 AM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

Just find a Chevy dealership along the way and do it there.Takes about an hr most times.

\db2
Old 08-23-2018, 10:14 AM
thompstl1
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 89 Posts

I had the same issue when I drove from Texas to Indiana to pick up my new Carbon 65 Z06. I had a 1,100 mile drive back to Texas. To compound the issue, I was driving back on Sunday, when no GM dealerships were open to do the 500 mile oil change. I asked the dealership Service Manager and he suggested I delay my trip to Monday, and that in his view, the 500 mile oil change was an important thing to do (for warranty reasons if not for reasons that induce a mechanical failure).

I ended up buying oil and filter at Wallmart, and having one of the typical quick oil change places change the oil and filter for me. I kept the receipts and actually tipped the guy well to go downstairs and watch the oil change to be sure everything went well.

Too much? Maybe, I certainly agree the probability of failure is small. However the consequence of failure (without doing a 500 mile oil change) could be very large. I chose to mitigate the consequence by the actions I've described.

Good luck either way, and enjoy your new car!
corvette11 (08-24-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 10:14 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dbaker
Just find a Chevy dealership along the way and do it there.Takes about an hr most times.

\db2
Foolish IMO as you risk it being overfilled which creates the problem the ~500 mile change is designed to avoid!

Just my opinion and we’re each entitled to one! Understand why it’s being requested.

Wait till you’re home and can talk to the dealer service department and feel confident it will be done right. In fact visit the local dealer ahead of time. You can also do as many and ask to have 9 quarts of Mobil 1 added and give you the 10th. When you get home with hot oil, check the level and add. You'll probably find you need less than 1/2 quart to bring up to Max level.

OP’s car their choice.

Last edited by JerryU; 08-23-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:19 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,880 Posts

The dry sump engines need that 1st change to take place ideally somewhere in the 500 to 700 mile range. I wouldn't risk pushing it. Find a Chev. dealer on your route home and get it done.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:41 PM
japc5
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I had almost 1000 on GS before I was able to get the oil changed. Like others have said don't run it hard and check your oil level. It will be fine.
corvette11 (08-24-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 01:47 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Waiting to 700 miles isn't overly excessive, but when driving home make sure you vary your speeds, don't use cruise control...
corvette11 (08-24-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 04:09 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Originally Posted by thompstl1
I ended up buying oil and filter at Walmart, and having one of the typical quick oil change places change the oil and filter for me. I kept the receipts..........
A lot of years ago, I carried tools etc. in my work car and routinely changed my oil on my motel's parking lot when on-the-road. Nowadays, I change my diesel RV's 4 gallons oil & filter on Walmart Supercenters' parking lots. Just recycle old oil & filter right there too. . I suppose the C7 could be DIYed @ Walmart provided you could raise it.

Get notified of new replies

To 500 mile oil change question

Old 08-24-2018, 09:23 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by japc5
I had almost 1000 on GS before I was able to get the oil changed. Like others have said don't run it hard and check your oil level. It will be fine.
Originally Posted by kennyjames21
Waiting to 700 miles isn't overly excessive, but when driving home make sure you vary your speeds, don't use cruise control...
I don’t know if there is an excessive mileage! As I have outlind in several posts on this Thread, it was 13 months before GM came out with the bulletin that authorized the 500 mile change and said why it was needed. Therefore I changed my oil after several months and at ~1500 miles just as a precaution having nothing to do with oil foaming. [Of interest, the 2014 C7’s got 4 free oil changes but early on dealers followed the stated rules carefully that said, “Change oil when the OLM indicates” and would NOT make the first change in dry or wet sumps untill it read below ~20%! There was the Max two year limit so if you put on few miles you would not get the full 4 free! A number of early C7 posts complained about dealers making them wait for a low OLM reading. I had no choice but to do my own change or pay at 1500 miles!]

After the 500 mile break-in and certainly after 1000 miles I hit redline as I often do now BUT in a short burst and did not operate the engine as “sustained high speed” which the GM bulletin states MAY cause oil foam that will burp with the air from the dry sump tank and enter the air intake tube. Then as the bulletin states it MAY run down to the air filter, soak it and drip on the ground.

I CHECKED THE AIR INTAKE TUBE FOR SIGNS OF OIL.
I added a aFe low restriction air intake months after I got my 2014 Z51 dry sump and looked carefully in the OEM air intake tube and filter for any signs of oil. Not a drop.

FORUM POSTS
Because that GM bulletin came out over a year after I got my 2014 C7 I followed this issue in Forum Posts since October 2013. Don’t recall any who said, yep I operated my engine at sustained high speed and had oil dripping on the garage floor. However there were many posts that said oil dripping occurred but ALL from dealer overfilling! A number of those right after that 500 mile oil change!

IMO GM in that Bulletin also should have said oil dripping from the air filter can also occur from overfilling the dry sump! Check the oil level on the dip stick after an oil change, which is a requiment in the oil change process, and if over the MAX line have the dealer remove it. Note, there is a CAUTION STATEMENT in the Owner’s Manual that says excess oil is as bad as low oil and IF the level is above MAX have a Profeesional remove it.

Last edited by JerryU; 08-24-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:16 PM
corvette11
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I want to thank everyone for their comments. I might just reschedule my museum delivery day to a weekday so I can get the oil changed at a dealership on our way home.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:58 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by dbaker
\db2
That's the way I did it. I bought from MacMulkin which was 1622 miles away from home, so I did my research ahead of time. I wanted to stop at Criswell in MD, a bit short of 500 miles from NH where the car was purchased, but cold weather chasing me as I drove south made me rethink my plans and I decided to make the stop in VA instead. I emailed the Corvette Club of VA asking for advice on a reliable dealer along my route, and their secretary replied recommending Berglund in Roanoke. Several days before my trip I scheduled the service appointment and all went very smoothly. The mileage was a tad over 700 but the dealership said it would be no problem.

Last edited by iclick; 08-24-2018 at 08:59 PM.
corvette11 (08-25-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 500 mile oil change question