Purchasing out of state

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 07:28 PM
DeAdEnD
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Purchasing out of state

Hello,
Signed up in for the forum to do some research on C7 Corvettes. Trying to find out about pro and cons, issues and fixes and just get a general overall consensus of ownership. I am looking to pick up 2019 C7 GS in the following months and realize some of the best deals going are out of state. It sounds like quite a few of you purchase you cars out of state. To be completely honest I did not know this practice was widely used.

The questions I have is:
  • How does this process work?
  • Do you fly out test drive the car, purchase it and drive it back?
  • Do you purchase it sight unseen and pick it up or have it delivered? I like to look a car over before purchasing it especially given the cost.
  • Do you finance it over the phone or show up at the dealership and do all the financing there?
This is a new concept to me, I have always thought to buy locally so should any issues arise I can have that dealer resolve it plus I have always felt a need to establish a rapport with the dealer that would be doing maintenance etc.
Any input is greatly appreciated!
Old 08-24-2018, 01:31 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

If you order your car instead of taking one from inventory, life gets easier as you simply arrange for a courtesy delivery via a local Chevy dealer. Financing (in fact, all paperwork) can be done via the internet and Fedex/UPS. No biggie
Old 08-24-2018, 01:37 AM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Received 216 Likes on 122 Posts

I had posted about the process for buying used and then realized you were talking about a new car purchase. I deleted the post, but am happy to share the process (in the appropriate place) for purchasing a used car from a private seller.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:55 AM
EdMu
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hoping to help... If one has a trade in I thought, at least in Texas, that the sales tax paid would be the delta between the new car purchase price and the trade in value. So I buy a $70k Corvette and trade in my $30k Boxter I pay sales tax on $40k. How does this work when buying from one of the "biggies" out of state?
Old 08-24-2018, 03:21 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,693 Likes on 5,594 Posts

Originally Posted by DeAdEnD
Hello,
Signed up in for the forum to do some research on C7 Corvettes. Trying to find out about pro and cons, issues and fixes and just get a general overall consensus of ownership. I am looking to pick up 2019 C7 GS in the following months and realize some of the best deals going are out of state. It sounds like quite a few of you purchase you cars out of state. To be completely honest I did not know this practice was widely used.
The questions I have is:
  • Do you purchase it sight unseen and pick it up or have it delivered? I like to look a car over before purchasing it especially given the cost.
  • Do you finance it over the phone or show up at the dealership and do all the financing there?
This is a new concept to me, I have always thought to buy locally so should any issues arise I can have that dealer resolve it plus I have always felt a need to establish a rapport with the dealer that would be doing maintenance etc.
Fairly simple process.
Find the C7 you want over the internet (preferably from one of the forum sponsor dealers, but doesn't have to be) negotiate your deal (price, financing and trade-in if applicable) over the phone and drive or fly out to inspect and finalize purchase of the C7.
NEVER, NEVER purchase a car without having personally inspecting it.
If you don't want to drive your C7 home, transport can be arranged. I recommend Intercity Transport, most on this forum will as well.
You typically pay sales tax on your C7 in the home state where it's going to be registered.

No big deal, have done it many times without issues.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 08-24-2018 at 03:49 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:29 AM
ls777z
Burning Brakes

Received 315 Likes on 231 Posts

Sure, there are better deals out of your state. But factor in all of the other things required to do so and you might not be saving as much as you think. And you said you wanted to build a rapport with the dealer who will most likely servicing and fixing your car in the future. Just some things to consider.

Last edited by ls777z; 08-24-2018 at 06:34 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:13 AM
rdalisky
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I purchased my Z06 in NC from Michigan.

i wanted a black on black 3LZ, with comp seats and red brake calipers (pretty specific I know). I found it at a specialty dealership, so I made the call.

i gave them a fully refundable $500 deposit, and had the sales guy upload a detailed video of the car to YouTube. They sent a carfax. I filled out financing paperwork, and told them I would bring the down payment check and pay it in person.

Four days later, my girlfriend and I flew one way to NC, and picked the car up. We spent the rest of the weekend driving back to MI, which was an AMAZING drive for our first Corvette.

It was a great experience purchasing out of state, they even took care of getting us our Michigan plates, which came in the mail.

Getting the Youtube video was my girlfriend’s idea, and it made me extremely comfortable in flying down for the deal. I recommend it if you are purchasing out of state!

Last edited by rdalisky; 08-24-2018 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:38 AM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Had my financing lined up and negotiated over email/phone. I didn't even go see the car since I'm too busy and it's a brand new car (now I feel like I lucked out becuase of all the paint issue posts). Dealership overnighted me the documents and I signed and sent back. A friend recommended a transport guy and he was great. He inspected the car for me since I couldn't and in case there were any issues upon delivery. He sent me a ton of photos and had my car to me the next morning from Michigan to Georgia.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:25 AM
mtaxman
Burning Brakes

Received 335 Likes on 215 Posts

Just my two cents but if Deadend is around a major Illinois city I'd do some homework and find the best local dealer and give them a shot at matching a price. Join the NCM and you'll immediately get no haggle "vendor pricing" ( if not employee).
Start there and try to do better locally.
There is at least one Illinois dealer in the top 50 : http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2018/...ugh-june-30th/

The dealer in Illinois sold 100 vettes in 2017.

Last edited by mtaxman; 08-24-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:49 AM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Just did this myself, it was pretty easy and straight forward... honestly it was no different then buying a car locally aside from not being able to transfer my current plates. There was no trade in and I kept my previous vehicle (and tags) for about two weeks until it sold locally.

I purchased a used C7 in NJ but I live in FL. I could have financed locally and just brought a check to the dealer to remove another step but I have excellent credit and thus knew it was a non-issue. This particular used dealer is not affiliated with any brand, they just sell "toys" mostly high end trucks and smaller sports cars. They had excellent online reviews and claim that 70% of their business with out-of-area customers. They offered to transport the car but I wanted to drive it. Turned out to be a very good thing as the wife and I could get comfortable with the car (set the mirror, seats, feel it out, etc).

STEPS:
Test drive several cars locally to ensure I was comfortable with seating position, way it drove, shifted, etc.
Negotiate price over the phone based on pictures.
Put a deposit on the car so they can't sell it to someone else and prove I'm serious about purchasing.
Fly up to location, inspect car, test drive, confirm it is "as described", go over it with a fine tooth comb, be ready to fly back if anything is unacceptable.
Finance at dealer - you pay tax based on YOUR state, not the purchase location.
Get temporary tag from dealer, but pay for tags and registration in your state. Dealer handled all this paperwork, I just had to pay the various fees.
Put car on insurance policy.
Drive home!
Wait for tags to arrive by mail. Mine were about week late which was a bit upsetting but seemed to be a clerical error, IE: someone didn't process the paperwork with enough urgency to account for the shipping time (UPS ground, not FedEX).

I had the advantage of having plenty of frequent flyer miles and hotel points due to my job, so the trip was "free" minus meals and gas. So it cost me nothing but time to inspect the car and drive home.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:15 AM
w0rM
Pro

Received 336 Likes on 154 Posts

I have to disagree about never buying a car sight unseen. If you buy a new car online, you're not on the hook until you accept delivery. If you see a problem and still want to take delivery, it's under warranty. It's covered bumper to bumper for 3 years. I don't see a whole lot of risk in that, other than your time.

I bought my first vette several year ago through MacMulkin and had it delivered by Intercity. It was hands down the best car buying experience I've ever had.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:34 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Found the car I wanted in Illinois. Financed with Penfed and they sent dealer the check. All PPW with dealer was done through FEDEX. When check cleared the car was released to the transport company that I hired. Car was then delivered to my driveway. Never checked Car out in person and had zero issues. If I had that what warranty is for. I’ve done this with my car as well as my 17 raptor and an 11 F350 7 years ago. It’s actually a simple process that can save you a lot of money. I actually prefer this over sitting at a dealer playing the waiting game for them to get all the PPW done.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:35 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by w0rM
I have to disagree about never buying a car sight unseen. If you buy a new car online, you're not on the hook until you accept delivery. If you see a problem and still want to take delivery, it's under warranty. It's covered bumper to bumper for 3 years. I don't see a whole lot of risk in that, other than your time.

I bought my first vette several year ago through MacMulkin and had it delivered by Intercity. It was hands down the best car buying experience I've ever had.
Exactly 👍🏻
Old 08-24-2018, 12:06 PM
stillcrazy
Burning Brakes

Received 194 Likes on 125 Posts

Called three of the largest dealers in the country. Picked the one who made the best deal for me. Factory ordered it threw my chosen dealer. The transactions were done threw fedx . Funds were sent the same way . Had reached an agreement with a local dealer to accept the shipment of my factory order. Car arrived paper work completed.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:09 PM
jdlev
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DeAdEnD
Hello,

The questions I have is:
I was on the fence about a new 17 GS or low mileage ‘15 Z. I’ll say that at first, the power was a bit intimidating, but now that I’ve gotten (somewhat) used to it...I couldn’t imagine the car without it. The electronic systems make it driveable and more forgiving.

When it comes to Rapport if you buy from one of the big dealers here on the board, I’d think you’d have more pull than you would with a lot of local guys. If you have any issues, they’d probably much more concerned with keeping a good reputation that the average local chevy dealer. I’m not saying that’s always the case, but just that I wouldn’t be overly concerned with it.

I live in NC and bought my Z06 from a dealer last winter up in Boston. They had a policy of requiring a test drive prior to purchase, so I flew up. Got to fly first class since they typically reimburse you up to a certain amount (my case was $500), so I paid like $50 for the upgrade out of pocket. Buying off season also saved me a fair amount of cash.

Before I flew up, we did all the prequal stuff, and did about every inspection you can imagine. There’s an important one most buyers overlook if you’re getting a performance vehicle. You need to make sure the car’s ECU hasn’t been ‘tuned’ with a non-GM (or other make) approved factory tune. Even the so-called ‘undetectable’ tunes can be found in some cases, so I had the dealer I was buying from (an AMG MB dealer) run it over to a local chevy shop - check the ECU and had the shop foreman take it for a spin and quick inspection. Once we’d dotted all the t’s and yada yada w/ the i’s...I flew up there. Signed the paperwork up there, and then arranged shipping.

I did hit a hiccup with shipping. I tried using monteway - they’re total garbage. A broker interested in only charging their broker fee of $250. I told them if they couldn’t find a transporter that could guarantee delivery before christmas then to cancel my order the next day. Instead they schedule the pickup for after Christmas, and in the process screwed me and the driver that was supposed to pickup the car (who called me and was obviously ticked off about the whole ordeal). Despite having spoken to customer srvc on almost a daily basis, they ignored the instructions I provided not to book a date after christmas since I had a guy that could pickup the car the 26th for $400 less than they were offering. They booked the shipment anyways...Why? Because as soon as they ‘book’ a transport, they charge you their broker fee whether you cancel it or not. I went with a local guy out of Boston instead that delivered it just after Christmas named Arnie Werra. Guy did a first rate job and only cost about $900 to ship it from Boston to Charlotte. My recommendation is talk to folks on the board about who they’ve used. Montway has ridiculously high reviews (4.7-5 stars), probably because most are fake - which I got dupped by. So pick your transport carefully.

Other than the transport it was an incredible experiece - I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again. The dealer was first class. The trip was a new and fun experience (even if it was just a day), and the look on the neighbors faces when a semi pulls up with exotic car emblems all over it - all the neighbors come out

I looked for about 3 months before I finally found a deal good enough. Found identical Z06s in my immediate area (since I wasn’t too keen on flying up there), and even when I offered to pay $2,500 over the list price on the car up in Boston to a couple of local dealers - all of them balked. The lowest I found was in the $68s at the time, and they didn’t bother to even counter. The sticker on the car up in Boston was $61, and after everything was said and done and delivered, OTD cost was a little over $65k I think. Ended up saving at least $3k over every local dealer price, which surprised me since CLT isn’t a small town and has plenty of large chevy dealers.

So to conclude our brief workshop on remotely purchasing a corvette: consider the Z, learn the market because good deals aren’t hard to find but great deals don’t last long, prequalify yourself (if you have to finance anything), enjoy the travel experience, and do your homework when picking a transport (which will probably take 2-4 weeks to deliver your car)

Last edited by jdlev; 08-24-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:39 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by w0rM

Unless GM starts blaming you or the transport company.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:47 PM
w0rM
Pro

Received 336 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by cyi1
Unless GM starts blaming you or the transport company.
If you're concerned about that, don't accept delivery. You have the same ability to inspect the car on delivery at your house as you do at the dealer.

Get notified of new replies

To Purchasing out of state

Old 08-24-2018, 01:51 PM
Mr. Wonderful
Le Mans Master

Location: Slower than a speeding bullet................ Fort Lauderdale, FL
Received 201 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by ls777z
Sure, there are better deals out of your state. But factor in all of the other things required to do so and you might not be saving as much as you think. And you said you wanted to build a rapport with the dealer who will most likely servicing and fixing your car in the future. Just some things to consider.
I would probably never purchase a new car from a dealer in FL. One is worse than the other... undisclosed fees, markups over msrp., high doc fees, etc.
Just purchased a used 2016 from another state and the dealer has been great. Did the entire transaction over the phone/FedEx.
It was actually a car advertised by the original owner here on the forum, and it didn't sell, and he traded it in to a local dealer.
If he just lowered his high asking price on the forum, I probably would have bought it, but it turns out I bought it for $6k LESS than forum member was asking.
I never thought I'd get a better deal from a dealer than an individual, but I did. And only $199 doc fee. Car is being picked up today for delivery to me by enclosed transport.
Can't wait.

Last edited by Mr. Wonderful; 08-24-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:15 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Fairly simple process.
Find the C7 you want over the internet (preferably from one of the forum sponsor dealers, but doesn't have to be) negotiate your deal (price, financing and trade-in if applicable) over the phone and drive or fly out to inspect and finalize purchase of the C7.
NEVER, NEVER purchase a car without having personally inspecting it.
If you don't want to drive your C7 home, transport can be arranged. I recommend Intercity Transport, most on this forum will as well.
You typically pay sales tax on your C7 in the home state where it's going to be registered.

No big deal, have done it many times without issues.
Yep saved me a lot of typing. The NEVER NEVER part is most important. Sight unseen is not smart. If you have someone you trust do it maybe, but for this kind of money I’ll fly out there. I drove mine back from MacMulkin Chevrolet because I just couldn’t wait for Intercity to ship it (impatient). I will probably ship it next time. Interstate driving is not my thing. Curvy country roads for a few hours, no problem.

Last edited by Zjoe6; 08-24-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:23 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Zjoe6

Yep saved me a lot of typing. The NEVER NEVER part is most important. Sight unseen is not smart. If you have someone you trust do it maybe, but for this kind of money I’ll fly out there. I drove mine back from MacMulkin Chevrolet because I just couldn’t wait for Interstate to ship it (impatient). I will probably ship it next time.
3 new vehicles sight unseen delivered to my house. 1 on the showroom floor,1 on the lot and 1 special order. Not a single issue with any of them. I wouldn’t purchase a used car this way. However when brand new there is very little to be concerned about. But many worry about who’s changing the oil or if someone parks near their Corvette. So I get it.

Quick Reply: Purchasing out of state