Sponsored by:

Sad to see at Carlisle

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 02:22 PM
omegaboss
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Sad to see at Carlisle

I was excited as always to go to Corvettes at Carlisle this year. The event was great as usual and the weather was great! Lots of beautiful cars, everything corvette that you could ask for! So what is wrong you ask? I was all set to get a Borla X pipe put on my new Z06 while at the show as I have read so many positive things about this mod. Plus they usually have show specials and do the install for right there for you! What's not to like?!!

I run up to purchase the pipe only to be told that they can't install and headers or x pipes at the show because it eliminates the cats!!!!!!! Apparently the EPA came down hard on vendors sometime last year. I was told arrests were made and fines handed out. (Can only repeat what I was told) One thing is for sure is that it was uniform across the board as I went to Corsa, Billy Boat and Magna Flow and all said the same thing. I could not even buy the pipe and have it shipped by Borla while at the show! The guys were nice but could not accommodate me at the show. I know I can order the pipe and do it myself which is exactly what I will do but it would have been nice to drive home listening to that sweet V8 growl a little louder!

I could not believe the frickin EPA is at car shows shutting this down! I hardly think that a couple of hundred ( guestimate on my part) people getting their cars modded at show might make the world come to an end and melt the ice caps! Another example of an intrusive government agency that ought to be doing something better with their time and our money than crashing the party. I have to wonder what is going to happen to our sport. Not to mention that vendors might quit going to shows as it becomes costly when they can't sell their products. In the end, I am just venting and not looking to start a debate on global warming on the forum, so thanks for the opportunity. I am hoping this is an isolated incident. Has anyone else seen this at other car shows?

Other than that, Corvettes at Carlisle is must do for those of you that have never been. Great people, vendors, and eye candy for any car guy. I just feel bad for the vendors and the show promoters.

Popular Reply

08-26-2018, 02:59 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Why do you believe you deserve an exception to the rule? Should the law say, "Every car sold in the US must have catalytic converters to reduce pollution, except for auto enthusiasts who want to remove them so their cars are louder and sound cool."?
Old 08-26-2018, 02:25 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Clean air is good.
The following 19 users liked this post by PatternDayTrader:
Avanti (08-26-2018), AWOL (08-27-2018), bluevette67 (08-28-2018), CptCvMan (08-26-2018), Crossed Flags Fan (08-27-2018), DWillys (08-27-2018), Foosh (08-27-2018), glava2876 (08-27-2018), Gvnski (08-26-2018), JerryU (08-26-2018), Mister Big (08-27-2018), OntarioOrangeC3 (08-27-2018), Pablotheartist (08-26-2018), Rebel Yell (08-27-2018), redzg (08-27-2018), rogergcam (08-27-2018), spinkick (08-26-2018), SRQStingray (08-27-2018), Strake (08-26-2018) and 14 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-26-2018, 02:48 PM
KCV
Pro

Received 442 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Clean air is good.
Indeed.
The following 8 users liked this post by KCV:
CptCvMan (08-26-2018), Crossed Flags Fan (08-27-2018), DWillys (08-27-2018), Foosh (08-27-2018), Gvnski (08-26-2018), Pablotheartist (08-26-2018), redzg (08-27-2018), rogergcam (08-27-2018) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-26-2018, 02:59 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Why do you believe you deserve an exception to the rule? Should the law say, "Every car sold in the US must have catalytic converters to reduce pollution, except for auto enthusiasts who want to remove them so their cars are louder and sound cool."?

Last edited by mschuyler; 08-26-2018 at 03:36 PM.
The following 14 users liked this post by mschuyler:
AWOL (08-27-2018), billiam01 (08-27-2018), CptCvMan (08-26-2018), Crossed Flags Fan (08-27-2018), DAC17 (08-26-2018), DWillys (08-27-2018), Foosh (08-27-2018), Gvnski (08-26-2018), JerryU (08-26-2018), Mister Big (08-27-2018), Pablotheartist (08-26-2018), redzg (08-27-2018), roadbike56 (08-27-2018), rogergcam (08-27-2018) and 9 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-26-2018, 03:30 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

The EPA is an intrusive government agency because they want clean air for all? This is why countries governments came down hard on VW when they tried to scam the world by messing with the emissions of diesels to fool test centers.

All I saw at these Corvette shows were people trying to figure out how to get their old exhaust system in their Corvettes after having one put on at a show. A lot longer then you would think.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:31 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 311 Likes on 210 Posts

Why are you surprised? It has always been against the law for a legit business to willingly pull cats off of a street car. It says off-road only on the pipes when you unbox them. That being said? I'm surprised the crack down is just know taking effect at shows and such.

Put them on at home. ; )
The following users liked this post:
bluman (08-27-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 04:41 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,601 Likes on 5,560 Posts

Originally Posted by patterndaytrader
clean air is good.
yes

Last edited by Zymurgy; 08-26-2018 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Removed deleted quoted post
rogergcam (08-27-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 04:42 PM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 300 Likes on 191 Posts

Not trying to rain on your parade but this has been a long time in coming. I’m old enough to remember the time when the first thing you did when you got your car was to change out the stock exhaust for headers. But even I’ve come around to the idea that you can’t yank the cats. Just the way it is. For what it’s worth clean air (allergies, bronchitis plus a touch of asthma) is a good thing.
The following 2 users liked this post by Guard Dad:
JerryU (08-26-2018), rogergcam (08-27-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 05:26 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,921 Likes on 4,807 Posts

Really not a bad thing.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:35 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Nice to hear some rational people here that understand the regulations to improve air quality are for the benefit of everyone instead of what you hear from the nuts that hang out on the P&R page. They'd like to see a Corvette that burned "clean coal" if there were such a thing.
The following 8 users liked this post by Walt White Coupe:
Crossed Flags Fan (08-27-2018), DWillys (08-27-2018), Foosh (08-27-2018), Glennm27 (08-27-2018), Mister Big (08-27-2018), NSC5 (08-26-2018), rogergcam (08-27-2018), SRQStingray (08-27-2018) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-26-2018, 05:56 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

If the manufacture can't legally install it, because it violates EPA laws, I'm not sure how they can sell it.
I guess if it were installed only on a track car, it would pass muster, but not a street machine.

I'm hardly a left wing 'whacko' but there are some laws created for the EPA to use, that are good. Just ask the bald eagle.
rogergcam (08-27-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 06:16 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 389 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Phanni
If the manufacture can't legally install it, because it violates EPA laws, I'm not sure how they can sell it.
I guess if it were installed only on a track car, it would pass muster, but not a street machine.

I'm hardly a left wing 'whacko' but there are some laws created for the EPA to use, that are good. Just ask the bald eagle.
Sold "For off road use only" possibly?
Old 08-26-2018, 06:25 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

Clean air stuff is coming down hard in all industries. Harley got hammered for their aftermarket exhaust practices. I bought a motorcycle recently and to get the "off road" pipe, they require you sign a paper, the dealer has to disable the lights on the bike, (you can plug them back in) and the flash for the ecu is recorded. They do not want to get the EPA up their ***. Its good for everyone, we dont need to screw up our environment more than it already is.
The following 3 users liked this post by spinkick:
Mister Big (08-27-2018), rogergcam (08-27-2018), SRQStingray (08-27-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 06:54 PM
salcolkat
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by omegaboss
I was excited as always to go to Corvettes at Carlisle this year. The event was great as usual and the weather was great! Lots of beautiful cars, everything corvette that you could ask for! So what is wrong you ask? I was all set to get a Borla X pipe put on my new Z06 while at the show as I have read so many positive things about this mod. Plus they usually have show specials and do the install for right there for you! What's not to like?!!

I run up to purchase the pipe only to be told that they can't install and headers or x pipes at the show because it eliminates the cats!!!!!!! Apparently the EPA came down hard on vendors sometime last year. I was told arrests were made and fines handed out. (Can only repeat what I was told) One thing is for sure is that it was uniform across the board as I went to Corsa, Billy Boat and Magna Flow and all said the same thing. I could not even buy the pipe and have it shipped by Borla while at the show! The guys were nice but could not accommodate me at the show. I know I can order the pipe and do it myself which is exactly what I will do but it would have been nice to drive home listening to that sweet V8 growl a little louder!

I could not believe the frickin EPA is at car shows shutting this down! I hardly think that a couple of hundred ( guestimate on my part) people getting their cars modded at show might make the world come to an end and melt the ice caps! Another example of an intrusive government agency that ought to be doing something better with their time and our money than crashing the party. I have to wonder what is going to happen to our sport. Not to mention that vendors might quit going to shows as it becomes costly when they can't sell their products. In the end, I am just venting and not looking to start a debate on global warming on the forum, so thanks for the opportunity. I am hoping this is an isolated incident. Has anyone else seen this at other car shows?

Other than that, Corvettes at Carlisle is must do for those of you that have never been. Great people, vendors, and eye candy for any car guy. I just feel bad for the vendors and the show promoters.
I saw a news report that there was a giant iceberg in Greenland just about to fall off into the Atlantic, create a sunami and flood the east coast if one more person deleted a catalytic converter so its a good thing they stopped that stuff at Carlisle.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:37 PM
JK 23112
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 646 Posts

If you think the EPA and other government agencies are tough on aftermarket exhaust parts for Corvettes, you should see what they do to the trucking industry with regard to diesel engines, ultra-low-sulfur diesel fuel and the like.

The equipment on today's cars enables them to run cleaner, perform better AND be reliable for a long, long time without significant repairs. What has been mandated by Uncle Sham for diesel engines is ten times worse. I am not going to get into it here because it is not the appropriate forum - but suffice it to say that these mandates will end up costing everyone more money over the long term....for negligible results at best.
Corvette ED (08-27-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 07:53 PM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Received 195 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by omegaboss

What part of "this is a good thing" don't you understand...?
Old 08-26-2018, 07:56 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,608 Likes on 6,621 Posts

Originally Posted by Guard Dad
Not trying to rain on your parade but this has been a long time in coming. I’m old enough to remember the time when the first thing you did when you got your car was to change out the stock exhaust for headers. But even I’ve come around to the idea that you can’t yank the cats. Just the way it is. For what it’s worth clean air (allergies, bronchitis plus a touch of asthma) is a good thing.

Been a “Hot Rodder” since early teens. Have gained a lot from the sport. However do appreciate it’s time to live with what the manufacturers find necessary to meet the air pollution laws for my DD.

The PCV system is a PIA but would not want to go back to the Road Draft Tube I had on anumber of cars including the small block V8 in my ‘56 Chevy!

Happen to be visiting in Claremount CA where daughter went to college over 35 years ago (and two granddaughters as well) and has never moved from the area. Recall when visiting in her college could not see the mountains or the snow on Mount Baldy! Now it is very visible every time I visit. Auto pollution control has worked.

Pic of flathead I had in my ‘41 Coupe(before stuffing in an Olds engine,) a ‘50 Ford flathead like this one and even the small blockmV8 in my ‘56 Chevy. Dumped the crackcase stuff in the air!

Last edited by JerryU; 08-26-2018 at 08:09 PM.
rogergcam (08-27-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Sad to see at Carlisle

Old 08-26-2018, 07:58 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by JK 23112
If you think the EPA and other government agencies are tough on aftermarket exhaust parts for Corvettes, you should see what they do to the trucking industry with regard to diesel engines, ultra-low-sulfur diesel fuel and the like.

The equipment on today's cars enables them to run cleaner, perform better AND be reliable for a long, long time without significant repairs. What has been mandated by Uncle Sham for diesel engines is ten times worse. I am not going to get into it here because it is not the appropriate forum - but suffice it to say that these mandates will end up costing everyone more money over the long term....for negligible results at best.
Diesel engines pollute much worse than gasoline; as a result, they are always under attack from the epa.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:05 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by JerryU

Been a “Hot Rodder” since early teens. Have gained a lot from the sport. However do appreciate it’s time to live with what the manufacturers find necessary to meet the air pollution laws for my DD.

The PCV system is a PIA but would not want to go back to the Road draft tube I had on a
number of cars including the small block V8 in my ‘56 Chevy!

Pic of flathead I had in my ‘41 Coupe, ‘50 Ford flathead like this one and even the small black V8 in my ‘56 Chevy. Dumped the crackcase stuff in the air!

Where is the other exhaust port on that engine Jerry ?
Do the center two cylinders feed into the one teeny center exhaust port ? Does one cylinder have two spark plugs ?
What the hell is wrong with whoever designed that thing.
Why do I see four spark plugs and three exhaust ports.
This looks like a blunder even by Ford standards.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 08-26-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:34 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU

Happen to be visiting in Claremount CA where daughter went to college over 35 years ago (and two granddaughters as well) and has never moved from the area. Recall when visiting in her college could not see the mountains or the snow on Mount Baldy! Now it is very visible every time I visit. Auto pollution control has worked.

Pic of flathead I had in my ‘41 Coupe(before stuffing in an Olds engine,) a ‘50 Ford flathead like this one and even the small blockmV8 in my ‘56 Chevy. Dumped the crackcase stuff in the air!
Look at old film of cities before emissions control and you can see the exhaust fogging the air. LA basin always has had smog problems (maybe even before autos), but I have heard that the stuff coming out of tailpipes today is cleaner than what goes in to the engine. The real problem now may be with older vehicles that are allowed to continue to run despite not meeting current standards. In a lot of the U.S. rust takes these off the roads, but not so much in L.A.

Quick Reply: Sad to see at Carlisle