Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ron Fellows travel logistics

Old 08-27-2018, 07:23 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,931 Likes on 2,421 Posts
Default Ron Fellows travel logistics

I was thinking about booking a Corvette owners package today (for end of September). The first thing I discovered was that most of the rest of the year the condos are booked up by Michelin so you'd have to stay at the Holiday Inn a couple miles away. That was a bummer to hear. The other thing is I can't find any flights after 4:00 P.M. the last day so I'd have to stay another night and fly out in the morning. Did you guys have to stay 3 nights? You have to get there a day early, the event is two days so they pay for one night. Just wondering what everyone else did. You have to rent a car for transportation. Maybe I'll wait and do it in in Spring and flights will be better the last day. I have till July next year to use my discount.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:31 PM
ltwon95
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 15 Posts

I attended a Monday-Tuesday class. My wife and I flew into Las Vegas early Saturday morning, rented a car, and went to Death Valley National Park. We stayed there Saturday night, toured the park some Sunday, then headed to Spring Mountain. We caught a redeye at 10:55 PM back to Wisconsin after class Tuesday. It was tiring, but Death Valley was worth it.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:42 PM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I've gone twice, both times in summer months when they give you 2 nights stay in their condos. The 2 nights are the night before the first day and after day one. They toss in a few other little perks like free $50 comp in the gift shop and a memory card for recording the PDR. Give Darcy a call, she'll hook you up.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:14 PM
RPK
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

My wife and I did the school the second week of July.
We flew in to Las Vegas on Sunday night, rented a car, and arrived at Spring Mountain about 11PM.
Breakfast was 5:30 Monday morning, plus we were experiencing the three hour time zone change. Sleep Sunday night seemed non-existent for us both.
Stayed at the condos at the track Sunday and Monday nights. We picked the dates while talking to Spring Mountain, with availability of the condos as a prime objective. We did not want to have to stay offsite in Pahrump.
We found a red-eye flight out of Vegas Tuesday night on Frontier. As you noted, flights after 5PM or 6PM were hard to find. That was the earliest I considered, since you have to factor in the hour drive to the airport, return rental car, and get thru security.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:42 PM
mtaxman
Burning Brakes

Received 334 Likes on 215 Posts

Flying in and out is all about where you start from...That said, I had to get back to Savannah so flew from Vegas to ATL to SAV the morning after. Stayed in Vegas after the school ended. Crack of dawn.

I had only one night in the condos...I drove out from Vegas the morning of. Crack of dawn. Easy drive.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:51 PM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

If you are looking for a cheap place for that extra night, check out the Rio in Las Vegas. It gets you back to Vegas (not far off the strip if you are so inclined), closer to the airport, and when I went back in early May, it was ~$60/night, even after taxes, for a really nice room.

For me, I flew in the day before the class, played around in Vegas a little before driving out to SM. Stayed in the SM condos the night before the class, and the next night. After the second day of class ended, I headed back to Vegas, and spent another full day and add'l night playing cruising and playing around Vegas before heading home.

Last edited by DWS44; 08-27-2018 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:57 PM
l2vette
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 167 Posts

Stay at least three nights, you will need the time to relax before the classes and track time to focus. The Corvette Owners School will not disappoint you, but you need to be ready for a time of your life!!
Old 08-27-2018, 10:09 PM
Black18Z06
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Just a guess but, if you are willing to wait, Late February or early March might be a good time. Convention season is mostly over and the pools haven't opened yet so the summer crowd hasn't showed up yet.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:20 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

And spending the last night in Vegas is not all bad. You leave at 4, you will be in Vegas by 5:10.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:19 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Zjoe6
I was thinking about booking a Corvette owners package today (for end of September). The first thing I discovered was that most of the rest of the year the condos are booked up by Michelin so you'd have to stay at the Holiday Inn a couple miles away. That was a bummer to hear. The other thing is I can't find any flights after 4:00 P.M. the last day so I'd have to stay another night and fly out in the morning. Did you guys have to stay 3 nights? You have to get there a day early, the event is two days so they pay for one night. Just wondering what everyone else did. You have to rent a car for transportation. Maybe I'll wait and do it in in Spring and flights will be better the last day. I have till July next year to use my discount.
If you would have gone in the heat of the summer they pay for two nights. But since the class starts early in the morning you do have to get there the night before. Regardless of what you do you will have a blast and wish you had done it sooner.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:42 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Do the class in the summer, they run specials in the summer months that include 2 nights in a condo, so you can arrive the day before. Book in advance for the best choice of weeks, but the condo shouldn't be a problem, I went in July and everyone in my group got the 2 night condo special, they also give you a 32GB memory card to use in the PDR while you're on track. Can't help you much on the flights, but I can say June or July in Vegas even the nicer hotels have pretty good prices on rooms, we stayed at the Aria for 3 nights after the class for $149/night in a 900sq ft suite. Don't pass on Spring Mountain, it's the best $1,000 you'll spend on yourself.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:10 AM
boofus1
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I spent 2 nights at Spring Mtn. and one in Vegas.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:07 AM
flenn
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Flew in Sunday from Boston, landed around 1:00pm. Picked up a 2018 Mustang GT from Hertz, attached my radar detector and drove north on Rt15 until I got to Valley of Fire Hwy. Drove through VoF State Park to Rt 167 near Lake Mead and then back to Las Vegas and then Pahrump. Epic spirited drive, almost as fun as Spring Mountain! Stayed 2 nights at Spring Mtn. I was in the same boat with no flights after 4:00pm so stayed in Vegas Tues night. Funny but after track driving for two days I didn't even care to beat on the Mustang on the way back to Vegas.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:42 PM
VT-Rider
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a Fri/Sat class. We flew out BTV/DTW/LAS on Thursday, rented a Hertz car, and drove out arriving at Spring Mountain ~7:30pm. With the early 5:45am breakfast, we pretty much stayed on EDTime all the while... The included meals at SM, 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches and Fri dinner, were great. We chose to stay at SM for Fri dinner and chat with some of the other classmates, rather than go somewhere off site... Sat after class, we drove to the Residence Inn LAS for Sat night, literally 5 minutes from the rental car drop (hotel shuttle to LAS doesn’t run till 7:00am), as we had 6:20am flight Sun morning. There is a great restaurant, Bootlegger Italian Bistro, a 7 to 10 min walk away from the hotel. It was hot! 106F. I about burned my hand when I grabbed the heavy bronze door pull at the restaurant. When we left the hotel for LAS ~4:00am, it was still 90F. Staying on EDT worked for us, 4:00 PDT is 7:00 EDT, not getting up early at all!
Old 08-28-2018, 01:46 PM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by VT-Rider
Staying on EDT worked for us, 4:00 PDT is 7:00 EDT, not getting up early at all!

That's the best part of the west coast trips...You can "sleep in" and still be up early!
Old 08-28-2018, 02:05 PM
davelw
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can, make a trip of it. Being from the east coast, just going for the 2 days at SM would be tough. My wife and I took 9 days and spent time in Vegas, and then went to the Grand Canyon, stopping by the Hoover Dam on the way. Had a great time at each place!
Old 08-28-2018, 06:39 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,931 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Hey thanks for all the great ideas!!! I decided to go next year like Jan/Feb/Mar. I just can't stay at a Holiday Inn. Why not wait and do it right? Right? Besides my birthday is in March so that might be a perfect present to myself. I did speak with Donna at SM and she was a total sweet heart. Emailed me some good info. I'm looking forward to this.

Get notified of new replies

To Ron Fellows travel logistics

Old 08-29-2018, 01:42 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Hey thanks for all the great ideas!!! I decided to go next year like Jan/Feb/Mar. I just can't stay at a Holiday Inn. Why not wait and do it right? Right? Besides my birthday is in March so that might be a perfect present to myself. I did speak with Donna at SM and she was a total sweet heart. Emailed me some good info. I'm looking forward to this.
Donna is great, I dealt with her both times I went to Spring Mountain. Once you're there, you'll find the whole staff is great, from the girls in the office that do the scheduling, the Instructors, catering staff, the shop guys that take very good care of the cars, to Head Instructor Rick Malone, and if you're lucky, even Ron Fellows, one of the nicest, most approachable racing icons you'll ever meet. After day 1, you'll be thinking about when you can come back again. Enjoy!!
Old 08-29-2018, 04:35 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,436 Likes on 2,057 Posts

You made the right decision. Try for March, but the earlier dates are fine. Do it quick. They fill up fast. You don't want to be pressed for time. Enjoy!

Old 09-21-2018, 05:40 PM
cam69aro
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just got back this morning. like others said, you won`t be disappointed. I bought a new z06 so got to pound on the z06 at Spring Mountain for 2 days. the instructors are first class and you learn a lot in 2 days. already planning on the level 1 class next summer. it`s amazing and a great place to learn without getting a ticket. oh, if you want you can bring an SD card or buy one there (all the cars have card slots), record you runs and play them back to see how you can improve your lap times if you track your car. I brought mine and will be getting the Bosworth Toolbox for all the stats.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ron Fellows travel logistics