Sponsored by:

Mobil 1 European 0W40

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 01:22 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts
Default Mobil 1 European 0W40

Anyone have any experience or used the new European 0W40 in their C7? I am thinking about putting that in the new Vette I just bought. There are some who say it's amazing stuff but wanted to do a little more research. I can't believe this car takes 10 quarts!
Old 08-29-2018, 01:30 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

It is not warranty approved, as it doesn't have the dexos2 certification. Once you're out of warranty it's ok to use though.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:35 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Originally Posted by Patman
It is not warranty approved, as it doesn't have the dexos2 certification. Once you're out of warranty it's ok to use though.
Well, I have an extended warranty through CarMax so does that mean the oil is a no go? If something happened they'd test the oil and say nope claim denied?
Old 08-29-2018, 01:54 PM
dfkruger
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthewstorm
Anyone have any experience or used the new European 0W40 in their C7? I am thinking about putting that in the new Vette I just bought. There are some who say it's amazing stuff but wanted to do a little more research. I can't believe this car takes 10 quarts!
If Porsche ,Mercedes, BMW, put this oil in there engines which are far more complex. It works jest fine in a small block Chevrolet . I personally use this oil in my Acura , Lexus , and my 2016 Z51 Corvette . Buy your oil at Walmart , your ac filter on line and have your dealer install it . That what I do . NO problems . When the snake oil Dexos2 ESP ever shows up ,go to that . Corvettes are the true American sports car . I have had many , always used Mobil One . Never had a problem . hope this helps . with respect , dk.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:11 PM
Patman
Race Director

Well, I have an extended warranty through CarMax so does that mean the oil is a no go? If something happened they'd test the oil and say nope claim denied?
If you bought a used Vette and have a warranty through Carmax, I'm not sure what their requirements are regarding the oil you use. I just know that with a brand new GM if you have an engine warranty claim you need to show them you've been using the correct oil listed in the manual (save all your receipts) otherwise you could run the risk of the claim being denied. To be safe, I'd check with Carmax to make sure, a lot of aftermarket warranties like this are super picky (I once got a free powertrain warranty on a used car but they said I couldn't even change the oil myself, I needed to have receipts showing it was done at a dealer or fast lube place, and even though I was using synthetic, the oil needed to be changed every 3000 miles or the warranty was void)
Old 08-29-2018, 02:17 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

What would euro oil have in it to make it better?
The following users liked this post:
4thC4at60 (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 02:46 PM
Patman
Race Director

Originally Posted by orca1946
What would euro oil have in it to make it better?
The Euro 0w40 has a few more builder approvals than M1 5w30 does, such as a couple of Mercedes Benz approvals, one for VW and one for Porsche. Builder approvals for European cars have more stringent tests, so the additive package will be more robust and even the base oil itself is going to be slightly better. To be more specific, when you look at the additive makeup of M1 Euro 0w40 vs M1 5w30, the 0w40 has 4 times the amount of boron, 2 times the amount of calcium and about 20% more phosphorus and zinc. The 0w40 also has a higher percentage of PAO (true synthetic) in it's base stock. And being a thicker oil to begin with also means it's HTHS (high temperature high shear) number is higher, it's 3.6 vs 3.1 (which means when you are pushing your car harder and the oil temperature is higher, that higher HTHS provides a thicker level of protection)

All that being said, I still prefer to run Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5w30 in my C7, as it's technical specs are better than any of the other Mobil 1 choices we've been discussing in this thread so far (including the new ESP Formula 0w40 too)
ArmchairArchitect (08-31-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 03:23 PM
raylo
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 255 Posts

And I prefer the "Euro" 5W-40 options for my 2016. Penzoil Platinum Plus or Valvoline (that is also Dexos 2 approved). I never drive my car when it is less than about 40 degrees F so no need for a 0W low end.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:34 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,925 Likes on 5,331 Posts

What you want is Mobil1 ESP 0W40. It is Dexos rated and the factory fill for 2019 Corvettes.

Mobil 1™ ESP 0W-40

Mobil Passenger Vehicle Lube, United Kingdom

Fully Synthetic Engine Oil

Product Description

Mobil 1™ ESP 0W-40 is a fully synthetic engine oil designed to help provide exceptional cleaning power, wear protection and overall performance. Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 has been expertly engineered to help prolong the life and maintain the efficiency of emission systems in both diesel and gasoline powered automobiles. Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 meets or exceeds the requirements of many leading industry and car manufacturers' standards required for newer modern diesel and gasoline powered passenger car engines.

Features and Benefits

Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 is made with a proprietary blend of leading edge components formulated to be fully compatible with the latest Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF's) and Gasoline Catalytic Converters (CAT's). Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 has been designed to help deliver outstanding performance and protection in conjunction with potential fuel economy benefits. Key features and potential benefits include:FeaturesAdvantages and Potential BenefitsLow Ash ContentHelps to reduce particulate build up in Diesel Particulate FiltersLow Sulphur and Phosphorous contentHelps to reduce poisoning of Gasoline Catalytic ConvertersActive cleaning agentsHelps to reduce deposits and sludge build-up to enable long and clean engine lifeOutstanding thermal and oxidation stabilityHelps to reduce oil aging allowing extended drain interval protectionLow oil consumptionLess hydrocarbon pollutionEnhanced frictional propertiesPotentially aids fuel economyExcellent low temperature capabilitiesQuick cold weather starting and ultra fast protection
Helps to extend engine life

Applications

Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 is recommended for all types of modern automobile engines, especially the high-performance gasoline and diesel engines found in the latest passenger cars, SUVs and light vans.

Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 has the General Motors Service Fill dexos2™ approval, which is required for all 2010 new GM/Opel/Vauxhall/Chevrolet Diesel and Gasoline models. GM/Opel have advised that dexos2™ specification is backward compatible to older GM/Opel specifications (GM-LL-A-025 and GM-LL-B-025). The majority of GM/Opel/Vauxhall/Chevrolet Diesel and Gasoline vehicles can use dexos2™ lubricants.

Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 is especially suitable for extreme conditions, where conventional oil often may not perform

It is not recommended for 2-Cycle or aviation engines, unless specifically approved by the manufacturer.

Specifications and Approvals

Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 meets or exceeds the requirements of:ACEAC3APISMFiat9.55535-S2 Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 has the following builder approvals:BMWLonglife 04MB-Approval229.31MB-Approval229.51General Motors Service Filldexos2™ (license number GB1A0917015) Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 is suitable for applications requiring:APICF OpelGM-LL-A-025 / GM-LL-B-025

Typical Properties

Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40Viscosity, ASTM D 445cSt @ 40ºC73cSt @ 100ºC13.2Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 8740.8Phosphorous0.08Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92234Density @ 15º C kg/l, ASTM D 40520.845Total Base Number (TBN) ASTM D 28967.8MRV at -30ºC26400Viscosity Index176HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC, ASTM D 46833.76

If you can't find it at the dealer it is for sale on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Mobil-1-ESP-0...3631797&chn=ps

Bill
Old 08-29-2018, 04:18 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

I can't find this on Amazon so it must not exist.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:31 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

I have an oil change coming up. I could not seem to find any retailers that stock it yet. I found a few overseas but of course no one is going to ship oil internationally. I email Exxon Mobil Customer support asking about any US retailers that stock it and how to get the rebate they are currently running on Mobil-1 if I got it from a dealer. No response.

So I called around to the local Stealerships to see if they would sell me some. Either they claimed they did not have it, or it was on nationwide back-order, or they wanted to keep it for oil changes done in house.

So I scanned all the big internet part houses for the GM part number. Most said of of stock on the web sites. I tried ordering it from two that let me and both others were canceled - either because they would not ship fluids or nationwide back-order.

So I ordered it from the above ebay seller. He claimed to ship it with the hour. Supposed to get here next week. He has no recent feed back, at least for the last year!

Remember, he is selling the ones in Liter bottles, so make sure you convert quarts to liters of visa-versa or you will definitely overfill and have it drain down your intake as a result.

I'll post when I receive them. Hopefully, it is not grey-market stuff or the old switcheroo.

Last edited by Flame Red; 08-29-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:44 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,921 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Just what we need - another oil thread....

It's simply a high performance engine - if you didn't rag on the thing you could run dino oil in it.....(as I've written here before) lubrication is the secret - there is no magic elixir.
Steve_R (09-02-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 06:10 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by Flame Red
I have an oil change coming up. I could not seem to find any retailers that stock it yet. .
Finding the magic 0W-40 ESP Dexos 2 Mobil 1 has been a bit of treasure hunt exercise... It wasn't available at local retailers, and the dealer I bought the car from said they wouldn't have it till the '19s arrived, but another dealer across town had it (at $13 a quart), and it is available onlline at evilbay at $100 for a 12 pack quarts...

Last edited by jimmbbo; 08-29-2018 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:13 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

This is surprising. The dealer we use on vacation in Chandler, AZ (Earnhardt) had the new oil in stock by the end of April, and I actually got an oil change here in Crystal Lake, IL (Martin) later that month with the new stuff.

Unless one has a very unusual situation, I see a lot more downside than upside to using an oil that doesn't meet the GM specs for the car.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:54 PM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

I am thinking about putting that in the new Vette I just bought.
Thinking outside the GM box, why not consider this brew?

Mobil 1 0W-50 Racing Oil (Nascar Approved)

I'm sure at speeds over 100mph at a private circuit track, with the wind blowing through all heat exchangers, 0w-40 is just dandy. but I sit in 96 degree temps, idling, no wind, during rush hours on city streets, and another 10w (0w-50) to keep things lubed with "exceptional high-temperature protection" sounds pretty good. NTM that extra 0w below freezing temps vs the prescribed 5w on pre19 vettes, eg 5w-30 previously recommended by Chevy. I never forget for a second that GM puts fuel economy over and above engine longevity.

Last edited by SilverGhost; 08-29-2018 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:00 AM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Maybe I'll just stick with Royal Purple.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:24 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,998 Likes on 2,887 Posts

It's likely superior to the 5w-30 Dexos. Of course none of the Oil Kool Aid drinkers here will admit to it. Lol!

I've been using the Mobil 1 0w-40 Euro Formula in all my Mercedes-Benz high-performance autos for many years now.

If you OR anyone can identify the difference/s in engine performance/s, before and after, lay them out for ALL of us to pore over. Lol!

The fact of the matter is there is NONE.

​​​​​​​Go ahead and use the oil you prefer to use. I promise that the Oil Police won't come up with ANY discernable data for anyone! 😛 They're more into scare tactics! 😛

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 08-30-2018 at 12:26 AM.
DYNAMICAL (01-06-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To Mobil 1 European 0W40

Old 08-30-2018, 01:53 PM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Wrong Oil

Wrong Oil

Old 08-30-2018, 01:56 PM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Its the cats

The formulation is different. Its the CATs you need to worry about (or not) on an American car.

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
It's likely superior to the 5w-30 Dexos. Of course none of the Oil Kool Aid drinkers here will admit to it. Lol!

I've been using the Mobil 1 0w-40 Euro Formula in all my Mercedes-Benz high-performance autos for many years now.

If you OR anyone can identify the difference/s in engine performance/s, before and after, lay them out for ALL of us to pore over. Lol!

The fact of the matter is there is NONE.

​​​​​​​Go ahead and use the oil you prefer to use. I promise that the Oil Police won't come up with ANY discernable data for anyone! 😛 They're more into scare tactics! 😛
Old 08-30-2018, 02:49 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Got a response from Exxon Customer Service about the 0W40 Dexos 2 availablility!
Up until recently, the new oil was available only to the Corvette assembly plant, and to GM dealers. It takes a little time to design, approve, and copyright a new label, so GM dealers have been receiving bottles marked "Not labeled for retail sale."

Our new 0W-40 for the 2019 Corvette, Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W-40, is now available to retailers. Many of them may not be aware of it, however, until they see signs of customer demand. Retailers should now be able to order the product under the following part number.

123875 - (Six 1 quart bottles)

From there, the retail rebate applies to any Mobil 1 oil, so this one will definitely qualify. I am relatively certain that online purchases will not qualify, because receipts can be unclear when it comes to dates involved (does it list the purchase date, the packing date, the shipping date?).

I'm copying a promotion administrator to be absolutely certain, but you may have also called them, previously, at 866-895-9127.

Thank you for choosing Mobil,
Jim
Mobil Help Desk Team Lead

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 European 0W40