Sponsored by:

Mobil 1 0w40 Dexos 2

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 08:51 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Mobil's own technical bulletins advised with proper filtration, their full synthetic oil is good to 25K, miles.
Post these bulletins here for everyone to see then. I think you're probably taking the diesel engine recommendations and thinking they can also hold true for gasoline engines.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:53 AM
KEZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
There is almost no sodium at all in the dexos1 Mobil 1 5w30. My last used oil analysis with it showed less than 1ppm of sodium. I have not seen a virgin oil analysis on the new dexos2 0w40 to see if they've increased the calcium, but in the dexos2 5w30 version of ESP Formula it uses about 20% more calcium than dexos1 Mobil 1 5w30.
It may have not been sodium that was the culprit, but he did say the calcium formula would not have the same potential for knock as the dexos 1 formula. I was trying to follow the whole thought process since i had never heard of oil potentially contributing to knock b4.

Last edited by KEZ06; 08-31-2018 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:24 AM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

There is almost no sodium at all in the dexos1 Mobil 1 5w30. My last used oil analysis with it showed less than 1ppm of sodium. I have not seen a virgin oil analysis on the new dexos2 0w40 to see if they've increased the calcium, but in the dexos2 5w30 version of ESP Formula it uses about 20% more calcium than dexos1 Mobil 1 5w30.
I've ordered an oil analysis kit from Blackstone Labs. Current oil Mobile 1, 5W-30, 4300mi. Changing shortly. I'll do the same with the Mobile 1, 0W-40 ESP after about 4500mi (my guess I won't hit this until mid 2019).
The following users liked this post:
Patman (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 09:33 AM
Bowtie52
Acct suspended by request 11 April 2019

Received 37 Likes on 11 Posts

So I've been reading this train on the oil and octane and quite honestly the lack of professionalism by certain members on both sides is disturbing and when moderators start using foul language and then say they can't help it.....that's no excuse you are accountable for your actions always......
Old 08-31-2018, 09:37 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I can show you lots of proof. I have been a moderator on BOBISTHEOILGUY.com since it's inception in 2002 and I have seen a lot of used oil analysis reports posted on there during the past 16 years. When it comes to direct injection, you simply cannot safely go much beyond 7500 miles, no matter what oil you run, due to fuel dilution. Just admit it, you haven't got a clue what you're talking about when it comes to oil (or any other topic related to cars for that matter)

Show me one single used oil analysis report where you can safely go 25,000 miles on an LT1. You can't, because nobody on here has even tried it. In which case, how on earth do you know it's safe? You don't, because you're full of ****.
Skid Row is on my Ignore list, which did wonders for my blood pressure. But I'll note that the most recent run of 5W-30 in our 2017 Z51 was 5,195 miles and 30% Oil Life Remaining. Blackstone showed that the fuel dilution was <0.5 %, which is apparently the lowest number they will show and well below the 2% they list as max acceptable. It appears that I could have gone over 10k miles and still been below 1% fuel, perhaps way below, though I would probably run out of life on the OLI before then.
I remember that you had some dilution on your car when it was new, have you had another analysis since then? Have you seen some other oil reports from C7 LT1 engines and noticed the fuel percentage?
Trying to figure out what's different here; I'll note that my driving is a mix of suburban & Interstate with an occasional blast or autocross.

(Patman): There is almost no sodium at all in the dexos1 Mobil 1 5w30. My last used oil analysis with it showed less than 1ppm of sodium.

This is really getting confusing, the three previous oil changes on our 2017 using Dexos 1 Mobil 1 5W-30 showed calcium levels of 3,4,4. I know that's not a lot and Blackstone shows the average for all their LT1 samples as 20, but still...

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 08-31-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:47 AM
Patman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bowtie52
So I've been reading this train on the oil and octane and quite honestly the lack of professionalism by certain members on both sides is disturbing and when moderators start using foul language and then say they can't help it.....that's no excuse you are accountable for your actions always......
I am not a moderator on this board....
Old 08-31-2018, 09:58 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Mobil's own technical bulletins advised with proper filtration, their full synthetic oil is good to 25K, miles. 15K is nothing. 7,500 miles is 100% arbitrary. Your 1 year life of synthetic claim is complete BS. If you're not too terribly busy seeking your free oil changes, you might learn something new for a change. Mobil might claim your guessing is "retarded."
It's not 'my claim' that you have to change your oil at least once per year, it's GM's claim - again, it's in the manual, have your caretaker read it for you.

And another poster posted a picture of the manual in terms of what gas you should be using, it says you can you can use lower than 93, but it will lead to decreased performance and could lead to knocking, because anything lower than 93 is NOT recommended. Again, maybe have your caretaker explain this to you...
Old 08-31-2018, 10:01 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

No one has claimed anything here that's not supported in the 2017 Owners Manual for the LT1 engine. Thusly; "87 octane and Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 are expressly recommended." Since you're intent on saving .50 cents - put whatever you like in yours.
If you want to talk about oil, you're obviously way behind the learning curve. Mobil 1's capabilities are way over your head from your guessing here.
I put 93 in mine because that is what the manual recommends and I change my oil at least once per year because that is what the manual recommends.

Hopefully this board can warn anyone who might end up buying the rat trap you are driving about how poorly maintained it was by it's insane and clueless owner.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:02 AM
Patman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
I remember that you had some dilution on your car when it was new, have you had another analysis since then? Have you seen some other oil reports from C7 LT1 engines and noticed the fuel percentage?
I haven't done another analysis since, but I will have one in about 3 months or so. I'm 4100 miles into my current interval with Mobil 1 5w30 ESP Formula, and the oil life is at 45% currently. I'm hoping the fuel dilution continues to trend downwards and that it's not as big of an issue with these engines as it is with other direct injected engines. I haven't seen all that many LT1 UOAs just yet, I'm hoping more members on here will get them done so we can compare notes.

Gearhead Jim (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 10:21 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
It's not 'my claim' that you have to change your oil at least once per year, it's GM's claim - again, it's in the manual, have your caretaker read it for you.

And another poster posted a picture of the manual in terms of what gas you should be using, it says you can you can use lower than 93, but it will lead to decreased performance and could lead to knocking, because anything lower than 93 is NOT recommended. Again, maybe have your caretaker explain this to you...
To get more precise; it's not a GM claim, it's a GM command.

As you know but others apparently don't, if you don't do the annual oil change (or more often), they can deny warranty coverage on your engine.
Will they? Do you feel lucky?

This has been in effect since the C5, but GM got more serious about it by incorporating time as an additional factor in the OLI on the C7.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 08-31-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:23 AM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Bowtie52
So I've been reading this train on the oil and octane and quite honestly the lack of professionalism by certain members on both sides is disturbing
Posts like this one, some of the comments remind me of this old trope that we used to have posted in one of the first engineering offices I worked in:

JerryU (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 10:25 AM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 136 Posts

All of these amateur tribologists!
Old 08-31-2018, 04:22 PM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Mobil 1 esp formula 0w-40 (case - 6 quarts)

https://www.thelubricantstore.com/mobil-1-esp-formula-0w-40-case-6-quarts

MOBIL 1 ESP FORMULA 0W-40 (CASE - 6 QUARTS)
SKU: XOM123875
$63.63

QUOTE=Strake;1597891609]I was at Virginia International Raceway ( VIR ) for the IMSA Weathertech GT Challenge race Aug 19 and at the Corvette Corral lunch, the Exxon Mobile Corvette Racing Development Engineer talked for 15 minutes about oil used, etc and specifically talked about the 0W 40 ESP. He said it was being produced and shipped nationwide by the end of August and that most retail outlets should have it in stock by early Sept. He talked that any Chevy dealership should already have it, if I understood him correctly. He said that all new Vettes are coming out of the factory with this oil, and that all C7's should use this, rather than the 5w 30 previously used.

Our GS is going in for it's last complementary oil/filter change in a few weeks, and I intend to visit them prior to make sure that they have this on hand for my change.[/QUOTE]
Old 08-31-2018, 05:37 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by dfettero
https://www.thelubricantstore.com/mobil-1-esp-formula-0w-40-case-6-quarts

MOBIL 1 ESP FORMULA 0W-40 (CASE - 6 QUARTS)
SKU: XOM123875
$63.63

QUOTE=Strake;1597891609]…. the Exxon Mobile Corvette Racing Development Engineer talked for 15 minutes about oil used, etc and specifically talked about the 0W 40 ESP. ….. He said that all new Vettes are coming out of the factory with this oil, and that all C7's should use this, rather than the 5w 30 previously used.
[/QUOTE]

Yep if I were the Exxon Mobile Engineer given an opportunity to speak to a crowd, I'd say the same thing! He gets paid to do that!

At those prices ($106 for 10 quarts) no way I would every use it as I have changed the oil myself in all 5 Vettes, including 2 C7s! I also tried at the local dealer, tongue-and-cheek, to get a free AC filer (didn't ask about oil) when I made the 1st change in my 2014 Z51 myself! Said, "Gee I'm not taking advantage to the free oil change, I should get the filter free." As I knew the parts guy would say-that's another department! (And the service folks would have to lie and put in a reimbursement for an oil change to GM to just give me oil and a filter. Know they would not do that and I don't blame them.

Could not find the OEM AC filer in Walmart, or Advanced Auto etc and needed it that day. Dealer parts guy did give my a 30% discount! Not a "mechanic's discount" but better than nothing! Bought the next filters from Amazon but actually found the AC PF64 at Walmart when I bought the 2 jugs of Mobil oil for my last Grand Sport oil/filer change.

5-30 is just fine for my 2017 and frankly if I had a 2019 would feel the same. If you track and therefore don't have to change oil for Tracking then switch back to a lighter oil for the street (per the Owner's Manual) worth the effort. We'll see what Walmart sells it for when available there.

Last edited by JerryU; 08-31-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:56 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

And a lot has changed since then too. They did claim 25k back then, but there is nowhere on Mobil 1's website right now that shows those claims anymore. Tell you what Joe, you think you know better than the GM engineers? Change your oil every 25k, I'll follow my oil life monitor (like smart people do) and we'll see who has better results. I'd be very surprised if your LT1 makes it to 100k with only 4 oil changes. (heck, I'd be surprised if it makes it that long running 87 octane in the heat of Texas for that matter, another one of your foolish moves)
Stranger things have happened. Even though the odds are the engine won't make it with only 4 oil changes over 100K miles I once knew a guy who had a 1964 Oldsmobile who never changed the oil in the engine. All he did was keep topping it off if the level dropped. The car had 100K miles on it when he traded it in 1972 and the engine was still running. Would have hated to see what it looked like inside though.

Bill
Old 09-01-2018, 02:01 PM
Patman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Stranger things have happened. Even though the odds are the engine won't make it with only 4 oil changes over 100K miles I once knew a guy who had a 1964 Oldsmobile who never changed the oil in the engine. All he did was keep topping it off if the level dropped. The car had 100K miles on it when he traded it in 1972 and the engine was still running. Would have hated to see what it looked like inside though.

Bill
I have heard a few stories like that myself over the years too but they were always on older vehicles from the 60s and 70s, and they burned enough oil that the person was basically adding 5 or 6 quarts every 10,000 miles anyways.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:26 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

[QUOTE=Patman;1597905318]I have heard a few stories like that myself over the years too but they were always on older vehicles from the 60s and 70s, and they burned enough oil that the person was basically adding 5 or 6 quarts every 10,000 miles anyway.

Here is one of those stories:
My dad had a '63 Dodge Dart. Never changed the oil. I was 16 and noticed the slant 6 valve cover leaking. I pulled the valve cover off. To my surprise there was another valve cover there....in the shape of brown jello like oil!!! I freaked. Ended up scooping out what I could and then put the valve cover back on. You would think I loosened up the gunk causing engine failure. That damn motor was still running 2 years later when we sold it. They don't build them like they use to!
Mobil 1 was not available back then.

Last edited by Vet Interested; 09-01-2018 at 02:27 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Mobil 1 0w40 Dexos 2

Old 09-01-2018, 03:18 PM
Patman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Vet Interested

Here is one of those stories:
My dad had a '63 Dodge Dart. Never changed the oil. I was 16 and noticed the slant 6 valve cover leaking. I pulled the valve cover off. To my surprise there was another valve cover there....in the shape of brown jello like oil!!! I freaked. Ended up scooping out what I could and then put the valve cover back on. You would think I loosened up the gunk causing engine failure. That damn motor was still running 2 years later when we sold it. They don't build them like they use to!
Mobil 1 was not available back then.
Those slant six motors were practically bulletproof! I worked with a guy back in the 80s who would buy older Chrysler cars specifically with the slant six and fix up the body and then flip them for a quick profit. He never had to touch the drivetrains, that's why he liked flipping those cars so much.

Old 09-01-2018, 03:46 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
When I first met her in Los Angeles, my (future) wife had a Sunbeam Alpine she treated like that. First time I checked the oil, it looked like tar. I asked her when she'd last had it changed, she said "Change it? I thought you just added some when it got low." She had also changed a headlight using a nail file instead of a screwdriver.
When we had to move to Chicago area a year later, we sold the Sunbeam. Too bad, or maybe not- parts were already hard to get.
JerryU (09-01-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 08:46 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

You do realize ESP means less zink then Euro 0W-40?

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us...pecs-guide.pdf

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 0w40 Dexos 2