Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Free oil changes

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 12:10 AM
Steve Carter
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

If I recall correctly I received the 500 mile free then four more free for two years on my 2015 Z51. Left one one the table as ran out of time. Just got the oil change number five at a cost of $99.50. Nine quarts installed and one to go. A very good Chev dealer here even cleaned the Catch Can.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:15 AM
JK 23112
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 646 Posts

I have a 2017 Stingray (NOT A Z51 car) with the "wet sump" oil system. It was - for all intents and purposes - supposed to come with two 'free' oil & filter changes from GM. I had the first one done at 3,000 miles in June of 2017 and the second one done about three months ago at about 5,800 miles. Oddly, the Chevy dealer said that their computer system showed that I still had one more 'free' oil & filter change that I had to use before February 1st of 2019 (the two-year anniversary of buying my car new).

He claimed that GM made a mistake on a few thousand 2017 Corvettes and the computer "gave" the owners three oil changes on ALL of the cars; not just the dry-sump ones. I would suggest having your local Chevy dealership type in your VIN to see if your car (if a 2017 model) comes up as being one of the wet-sump cars which enables you to get three oil changes instead of two.

I am at 6,800 miles now and expect to be somewhere well under 9,000 miles by the time I hit my two-year anniversary. That'd be a good time to get the third service done before the really cold (for Virginia anyway) weather arrives. It also looks good for my eventual resale if the oil & filter were changed frequently.

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly with the chap who suggested that we "play nice" here today. There is enough rancor, discord and arguing going on with our country today. Let's at least be civil as Corvette owners and be an example to others. To quote the late Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?"
Old 09-01-2018, 12:31 PM
vdavenp802
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by lakemg
You can have my freebies as well...bought my car 9/11/2015 and have yet to use them...much prefer to spend my own time and money doing it myself so that I can rest assured that it is done properly...
You must live in the "Deep State"

So sorry for your paranoia, just no way to fix that
Old 09-01-2018, 12:56 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by vdavenp802

He's not alone in this "paranoia" with all the bad stories we've read on here about dealer oil changes gone wrong. No thanks, I'll do it myself as well and avoid having someone damage my rocker panels or putting in the wrong oil/wrong amount.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:09 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 907 Likes on 605 Posts

Originally Posted by vdavenp802

Not paranoia by any stretch of the imagination. My car was a leftover 2015 and they changed the oil for me the day I picked it up and didn't count it against my free ones. It didn't take long to experience an overfilled dry sump system which was overfilled so much that the air filter was saturated with oil and required replacement. So until you've experienced it, you wouldn't understand how much of a pain in the *** it is to correct. Luckily for me, I was able to diagnose the issue myself, clear the check engine light, clean the air intake system, clean the MAF, and replace the air filter. Most others would have to spend time dicking around with the dealership to schedule their service, drop the car off, let the technicians determine the issue, perform the work, and return the car. Sure sounds like a shitload of fun all due to an improper oil change doesn't it. For all of you that are warm and fuzzy with having the service department change your oil, I STRONGLY recommend that you check the oil level before you leave the service department. If you can catch it soon enough and baby the car you might be able to avoid the saturated filter, air intake tubes, MAF, and CEL prior to correcting the oil level.

Last edited by lakemg; 09-01-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:42 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

Check if you must and if you find it done correctly --- then go back!
Old 09-01-2018, 02:47 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 907 Likes on 605 Posts

^^^Check every time. Just because they got it right once doesn't mean that the same service tech will be changing the oil the next time. The 8 minutes that it takes to check the dry sump is time well spent unless you like hanging out at the dealership's service department.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:03 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe

Doh!!

Seriously? !

Read your window sticker! Lol!

I did read my window sticker for my 2018 Grand Sport, and it was wrong! Window sticker says two Free oil changes. Yet dealer, owners manual, and card in glove box State, I get three, the 500 mile break in oil change which is only required in dry sump cars, plus the two normal oil changes.

Not sure why people cant under stand, its pretty easy
GM for wet sump cars, get 2 free oil changes
GM for dry sump cars get free oil changes. This is because GM requires the 500 mile break in oil change only on dry sump cars.

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
Did it say 3 free service visits on the window sticker or 2?
My grand sport window sticker said two free. The owners manual, the dealer and card in glove box shows three.

Last edited by Dave80C3; 09-02-2018 at 04:04 AM.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:10 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

The first 'free' oil change on my 2015 coupe, was a $46 up charge if I wanted Mobil 1 oil.
I haven't been back since.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:59 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave80C3
I did read my window sticker for my 2018 Grand Sport, and it was wrong! Window sticker says two Free oil changes. Yet dealer, owners manual, and card in glove box State, I get three, the 500 mile break in oil change which is only required in dry sump cars, plus the two normal oil changes.

Not sure why people cant under stand, its pretty easy
GM for dry sump cars get free oil changes. This is because GM requires the 500 mile break in oil change only on dry sump cars.

My grand sport window sticker said two free. The owners manual, the dealer and card in glove box shows three.
Hence the confusion, the problem is, it seems GM employees are confused as well, lol.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:02 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Originally Posted by Patman
He's not alone in this "paranoia" with all the bad stories we've read on here about dealer oil changes gone wrong. No thanks, I'll do it myself as well and avoid having someone damage my rocker panels or putting in the wrong oil/wrong amount.
If the oil was available in store, I'd be doing it myself, but it's not, and it seems I've lucked out in that my dealer has done a great job on my first two oil changes, they put the 9L in and give me the 10th back to top off, and the car came back to me undamaged both times. The only downside is the added time it takes and sitting in the waiting room trying not to have a heart attack, lol.

Having said that, I don't want to push my luck, and I also prefer to do anything I can do myself, which is why I posted another thread trying to find out when the 0w-40 will hit stores...
The following users liked this post:
Coach32 (09-18-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 11:04 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Originally Posted by bjones7131
Window sticker reads 2 oil changes but this doesn't include the 500 miler for the dry sump, so if you have a dry sump it is 3, if no dry sump 2. I have one left for my dry sump 17 GS and I think there is a 2 yr time limit to get all three or two. This is what my dealer told me. Play nice guys, this C7 forum has a lot of mad folks on it, chill out.
This is my understanding, but apparently not all GM employees agree..

And if the 'play nice' remark is for me, I always play nice unless someone starts **** with me, then I return fire. If you're unfamiliar with skidmarks posting history, then look it up. Both sides aren't always equally to blame for a fight.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:13 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,605 Likes on 6,618 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave80C3

Only issue is the word "Break-In Oil!" I know the later Owner's Manuals use that word BUT all Vettes get the same Mobil 1 oil and it's the same as you buy in a store! The use of special "break-in" oil went way years ago. Guess it could be called "break-in oil" since it is what is in the car during the break-in! But it stays in wet sumps for up to a year!

As the GM Bulletin that came out 13 months after I got my 2014 Z51 stated, the 500 miles change is required because of a GM problem NOT really a "maintenance" issue because the oil was "warn out!" Took GM over a year to define (or tell us) that the silicone (from curing engine seals) MAY get into the oil IF the engine is operated at sustained high speed and deplete the antifoam additives that are in all oil. They note that oil foam MAY "burp" with the air pulled into the dry sump tank by the oil/air scavenge pump that goes into the air intake tube. Then it MAY run down and soak the air filter and drip on the ground That is ALL the 500 miles change is designed to do and why it's not needed in a Wet sump as there is no tank to burp air/oil foam into the air intake tube. . The last sentience in that Bulletin states the oil foam does no harm to the engine.

Since I did not change my oil until >1500 miles and in fact in 2013 most dealers would NOT change the oil unless the OLM said 20% or less using the "free oil change" I removed the air intake tube and air filter and checked. There was not a drop of oil in the intake tube or air filter! In fact I have been following this 500 mile change issue in forum posts since it was NOT specified for 13 months after I got my Z51. There are many posts stating oil dripped on the ground from their air filter after an oil change because the dealer overfilled!

I chuckle at some new owners are concerned about driving their new car home and stopping anywhere to get an oil change at exactly 500 miles from wherever! It's more likely to cause the problem it's designed to prevent! I'd suggest whoever changes the oil, the owner of a dry sump should check the level right after! It's something that should be done periodically anyway especially during the initial engine break-in.

Just Sayn'!

Last edited by JerryU; 09-02-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:45 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Jerryu,
The psychotic oil changers are going to be, well, psychotic about it.

There's a couple fruitcakes I know of that change their full synthetic oil

LOL!
​​​​​​​ every 500 miles! That's one for the record books!

Just sayin'!
Old 09-02-2018, 12:44 PM
JFJr
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Carter
If I recall correctly I received the 500 mile free then four more free for two years on my 2015 Z51. Left one one the table as ran out of time. Just got the oil change number five at a cost of $99.50. Nine quarts installed and one to go. A very good Chev dealer here even cleaned the Catch Can.
Did you have to have 7,500 miles between changes to have it done?
Old 09-02-2018, 01:12 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
My early 2014 Z51 had 4 free oil changes since GM didn’t let us of their concern about silicone from curing engine seals depleting the antifoam agents (in all oil) for 13 months after I got my Vette. Dealer’s didn’t care about miles nor does the OLM, it uses many indicators including total engine revolutions. Think about it, miles are not the key issue it’s just what was an easily available indicator and all we had.

The OLM measures # of starts and how hot and long the oil is hot after a start! It will cut down the time from Max 1 year, if most miles are put on driving <two miles to the store and back. Or even worse, which I try to avoid, starting the car and moving only to get something behind it in the garage and pulling it right back! A start with not getting the oil hot to evaporate some of the water and “stuff” from combustion that formed acids etc, is the worse thing you can do for an engine! 100 miles on the Interstate is much less of a problem. So much for miles as a great indicator for changing oil!

In 2013 when I got my Z51, Dealers made you wait untill the OLM said under 20%, some 10% because they knew “free” was only for 2 years and most folks would not be able to use all 4 (became 5 for a short time after the 500 mile change requirement) and GM would NOT reimburse them for the change. It’s not done on their dime it’s GMs, IF approved.

PS: This old idea of using miles to change oil is only used by Jiffy Lub or some unscrupulous dealer’s to get you to change oil more often! The OLM has been used by GM for years. I recall Jiffy Lub would always use the severe duty miles! As I noted in a post above the ‘93 Vette Owner’s Manual said if most drives are under 4 miles (where the oil does not get hot enough long enough) that is severe duty and change oil at 3000 miles OR 3 MONTHS WHICHEVER OCCURS FIRST.

Last edited by JerryU; 09-02-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:13 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Originally Posted by JerryU
Only issue is the word "Break-In Oil!" I know the later Owner's Manuals use that word BUT all Vettes get the same Mobil 1 oil and it's the same as you buy in a store! The use of special "break-in" oil went way years ago. Guess it could be called "break-in oil" since it is what is in the car during the break-in! But it stays in wet sumps for up to a year!

As the GM Bulletin that came out 13 months after I got my 2014 Z51 stated, the 500 miles change is required because of a GM problem NOT really a "maintenance" issue because the oil was "warn out!" Took GM over a year to define (or tell us) that the silicone (from curing engine seals) MAY get into the oil IF the engine is operated at sustained high speed and deplete the antifoam additives that are in all oil. They note that oil foam MAY "burp" with the air pulled into the dry sump tank by the oil/air scavenge pump that goes into the air intake tube. Then it MAY run down and soak the air filter and drip on the ground That is ALL the 500 miles change is designed to do and why it's not needed in a Wet sump as there is no tank to burp air/oil foam into the air intake tube. . The last sentience in that Bulletin states the oil foam does no harm to the engine.

Since I did not change my oil until >1500 miles and in fact in 2013 most dealers would NOT change the oil unless the OLM said 20% or less using the "free oil change" I removed the air intake tube and air filter and checked. There was not a drop of oil in the intake tube or air filter! In fact I have been following this 500 mile change issue in forum posts since it was NOT specified for 13 months after I got my Z51. There are many posts stating oil dripped on the ground from their air filter after an oil change because the dealer overfilled!

I chuckle at some new owners are concerned about driving their new car home and stopping anywhere to get an oil change at exactly 500 miles from wherever! It's more likely to cause the problem it's designed to prevent! I'd suggest whoever changes the oil, the owner of a dry sump should check the level right after! It's something that should be done periodically anyway especially during the initial engine break-in.

Just Sayn'!
If GM tells you to change the oil around 500 miles, you should probably do it. Not sure if it would effect your warranty, but why take a chance, especially when the oil change is free? If you end up having engine issues, you'd be a fool to give a car company a chance to have an excuse to void your warranty. The only thing more foolish would be to go over 2 years without changing your oil when the GM manual plainly states oil must be changed once per year at minimum.

Get notified of new replies

To Free oil changes

Old 09-02-2018, 01:42 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
I don’t disagree! Changed the oil in my 2017 Grand Sport at 500 myself as I did with all oil changes in my 2014 Z51. I do keep all the original receipts for oil and filter as the Mobil 1 rebate just requires a scan of the receipt submitted on their website.

(For some of us “free” is not worth the risk of improperly lifting and cracking a rocker panel, having the dealer overfill a dry sump or also what has been reported pulling the lever on the gun pumping whatever oil from the 55 gallon drums in the oil change service bay! In addition if that newbie pulls the lever as he does on 99.5% of the changes he makes with wet sumps he will probably spill oil as the baffles in the tank require pouring oil slowly. Oh they will clean off the oil in the front and sides of the tank but hard to get to the back where the fill opening is located as it’s next to the firewall. That is also where the cabin air filter is located with a flimsy plastic cover! A number of posts with folks complaining of an oil smell for weeks after an oil change. Have never smelled oil in my 2014 Z51 or now my Grand Sport as even though I pour slowly I put a large rag around the opening just-in-case!)

My only issue is worrying about it being 500 miles max. IMO if driving 800 miles to bring the car home best to wait and have it changed locally by someone you trust. There is no magic to 500 miles as long as you don’t operate the engine at sustained high speed. Whoever and wherever it’s changed check the oil level at that location. If over the Max level do what the Caution says in the Owner’s Manual and make the dealer remove the excess! Frankly if it was my car And felt the need to have it changed I’d do what many posters do and tell the dealer to fill it with 9 quarts, then run the oil to get it hot, check and add what is needed. Bet less than 1/2 quart (perhaps only 1/4 quart) will bring it to the Max mark. Oh yes, bring a funnel and some paper towels!

PS: I change the oil per GM recommendations using the OLM because it’s smart. I also change the oil in my 525 hp 502 cid create engine in my ProStreet Rod annually because it’s smart even though it mostly goes to local car shows with few annual miles.

Last edited by JerryU; 09-02-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:44 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

The OLM, from all indications is a guess at best. Further, regards intervals, the arbitrary #7,500mi/1-yr is another gimmicky set of numbers. These numbers are set to the full and complete advantage of the auto manufacturer. All you need to do is look around at past gimmicky manufacturers' advisements. THEORY Examples are numerous. 100% of the time they're tied to the manufacturers' advantage - however it is framed by their so called, "experts" of that time period of history. Cycles of this are often repeated, then parroted by the masses. As in the "change every 3K miles, or your warranty is voided crowd."
Old 09-02-2018, 01:51 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Jerryu,
You don't have to look very far for the people who ignore the 2017 Owners Manual on numerous advisements. For example:Clutch fluid, for instance. Some here are changing their clutch fluid every few weeks! What does the Owners Manual advise? Certainly not every few weeks...... Does it hurt anything internally - the extreme often changing? Maybe. No one here can answer that. All I know for certain is that the Owners Manual doesn't advise it.

Quick Reply: Free oil changes