C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Navigation....Worst $99 I ever spent.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 01:38 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by ExRedRacer
Yes, it does that. And with Waze, you have several choices of languages and types of voices you can listen to. I sometimes choose to hear my instructions in Spanish just for practice.
Muy bueno!

Last edited by KenHorse; 09-01-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:43 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse

Oh also, does it speak turn-by-turn directions through the sound system and mute the radio? (not being difficult, I simply don't know)
Yes, the Apple Maps feature through Car Play has great audio directions (sounds like a cute female with a British accent) and the radio gets muted during those times. I like how it also shows on the map how far away it is to your next turn, for instance if it's coming up within a few hundred feet it will also count down on the screen so that turn doesn't surprise you at the very last moment.

The voice recognition works great too, I have never had it mess up on what I was trying to say. I used it this morning to find a new Costco gas station in my area and it clearly understood the word Costco (which could be a tricky word for some voice recognition systems)

Last edited by Patman; 09-01-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:52 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Originally Posted by ExRedRacer
Have no idea why you would think a map update would contain any correction to the voice recognition hardware and software. Two different kinds of updates. Because I figured paying $99 for an 'update' just might, maybe, possibly, result in some better voice recognition software. Is that so unreasonable? GM is making big bucks on this...why not fix that VR software while they're at it?

So the question is how is the map update for your area? Do you have new roads in the map and if you don't how long have those roads existed? As I stated in my OP, there are OLD roads here that the 'new, updated' system failed to recognize.

Most voice recognition hardware and software no matter who makes it is pretty bad although it is possible to train some systems to the way you pronounce words. In the Corvette the systems have even more trouble due to the high level of background noise that large sedans/SUVs with lots of sound proofing don't have. I was sitting in a parking lot, doors closed, windows up, engine off, nobody around and it still couldn't recognize much of what I was saying.

Being that other navigation systems are constantly updating map data and have excellent VR to boot for free, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect GM Nav to do better especially after paying $99.

That is all.
In the original thread that referenced the sale, I posted that I called them and asked if it was anything beyond a map update and was told no, it's just the maps. Just an FYI that I confirmed it.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:08 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

AA with Google maps is awesome.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:13 PM
raylo
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 255 Posts

Yes indeed, this is a problem. If you load your destination before you lose network you are OK, Google will keep that data. Otherwise it's a real pain to prepare ahead of time by downloading offline maps. In car or old school self contained NAV units are the answer in these cases.

Originally Posted by Pisswilly
I learned a lesson, all the smart phone NAV apps are great until you get in an area with no service, then their useless. Never used the NAV in my 2014 C7, now I have a new respect for it and updated to latest version for $99. It’s not as good as the phone apps, but is great when in no service area.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:26 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Pisswilly
I learned a lesson, all the smart phone NAV apps are great until you get in an area with no service, then their useless. Never used the NAV in my 2014 C7, now I have a new respect for it and updated to latest version for $99. It’s not as good as the phone apps, but is great when in no service area.
They make a few phone apps where you download all of the map data to your phone. You can also download map data in google apps to your phone, as long as you do it before you are out of data, of course.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:27 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

I would NEVER use Google Maps, those rat bastards...
From a professional in the IT industry, google maps "spying on you" is the least of your concerns. Really.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:33 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

Yeah - sorry about voice commands not "hearing "you. My new G S and apple car play puts the nav. from my phone on the screen BIG so I can see it.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:35 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by spinkick
From a professional in the IT industry, google maps "spying on you" is the least of your concerns. Really.
Believe it or not, "spying on me" is the least of the issues I have with Google
Old 09-01-2018, 02:37 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Believe it or not, "spying on me" is the least of the issues I have with Google
Is this due to the president talking about how google is unfair to him? Uggggggggggh.

Okay I wont derail the thread any more. I'm like a moth to flame with this stuff.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:06 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by spinkick
Is this due to the president talking about how google is unfair to him? Uggggggggggh.

Okay I wont derail the thread any more. I'm like a moth to flame with this stuff.
Nothing to do with that, sorry....
Old 09-01-2018, 03:15 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by raylo
Yes indeed, this is a problem. If you load your destination before you lose network you are OK, Google will keep that data. Otherwise it's a real pain to prepare ahead of time by downloading offline maps. In car or old school self contained NAV units are the answer in these cases.
What exactly is the difficulty of downloading offline maps for Google Maps?
Old 09-01-2018, 03:33 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Let me get this straight, I get all of these services for free and all I need to do is get advertised to about products that it would be more likely I would actually want (non-targeted ads suck and are way off base) and I fully reserve the right to block such ads (haven't you guys heard of ad blockers?!?) and also reserve the right to say "Thanks but no thanks". Well sign me the F up! And, BTW, most non-paranoid people agree.

Seriously, are you that weak that if Google shows you some shiny new product or do dad that you must buy it?!? Really? If so then IMHO you deserve it. Where's your backbone man? Whatever happened to the saying and belief in Buyer Beware?

And as for that link, I challenge you to describe to me how a phone with GPS off and no connection to the internet could possibly know where you have been. What in the phone recorded that? It couldn't possibly do that. Your location information is recorded if you have GPS turned on and you allowed Google to gather that data (IOW you didn't turn it off). If you did turn it off (and turned off location data from web apps and the like - IOW when you start Google Maps and it says "You are here" and needs to go out and get mapping data it needs to know your location or it can't do that) then Google cannot get your location. It can get some reasonable location if you say connect to Mcdonald's WiFi and it could guess if you say search for a local business. But if you don't have wireless nor cellular data - IOW no connection to the internet - then these would be unavailable too.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:50 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by defaria
And as for that link, I challenge you to describe to me how a phone with GPS off and no connection to the internet could possibly know where you have been. What in the phone recorded that? It couldn't possibly do that.
Without dragging this out any longer than needs be, you're simply wrong. (hint for you, you don't need GPS in order for the system to know your general location, let alone how do you KNOW GPS has been turned off? Because your phone tells you it is?).

Storing location data in memory is no big deal either, only to dump it when the phone does once again have a network connection (could even be written to non-volatile memory to survive power cycles). Couple hundred bytes of data is all it takes.

Old 09-01-2018, 04:00 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Without dragging this out any longer than needs be, you're simply wrong. (hint for you, you don't need GPS in order for the system to know your general location,
Aside from GPS, WiFi connections or otherwise searching the net, pray tell how is this done. You think accelerometer? Prove it.

let alone how do you KNOW GPS has been turned off? Because your phone tells you it is?).
Yes, otherwise you've just entered the realm of conspiracy iditocracy. If you think that's the case, prove it.

Storing location data in memory is no big deal either, only to dump it when the phone does once again have a network connection (could even be written to non-volatile memory to survive power cycles). Couple hundred bytes of data is all it takes.
Never said anything about that. Of course it's trivial. But how does a phone get such data without GPS or internet?
Old 09-01-2018, 04:04 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

We've been using GM factory nav for 12 yrs/ ~200k miles over most of the USA and Canada. We also have several Garmins, Google maps and Apple maps, and Waze. Observations:

1. Voice commands are worse than useless and probably always will be.

2. No nav system is perfect. All of them do some things well and other thing poorly or not all at. That's life.

3. We normally use the factory nav because of the convenience and HUD. When not actually navigating on it, I like the moving map display without having to do anything except start the car.
Other people have different preferences and may like different systems. Your choice. Just don't think that your preference is the best choice for everyone else.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:08 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Guys, guys, guys.....let's calm down here. There is a LOT of frustration that doesn't need to be here. Let's talk to each other with MUCH MORE respect. There is absolutely no reason to berate other members.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 09-01-2018 at 04:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TyBoo (09-03-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To GM Navigation....Worst $99 I ever spent.

Old 09-01-2018, 04:50 PM
ECSIII
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

This is an interesting thread and I’ve got a related point/question. We’re among those who find the GM Nav system less than desirable and we’re big fans of Android Auto EXCEPT how in hell do you keep Google from altering the route you’ve chosen to a destination (when it’s not necessary because of construction, etc.)? Yes, we know about specifying sufficient intermediate points such that it has to adhere to your intended route, but that’s a PITA. When you send a route link to your phone or tablet, why doesn’t Google have an option to exactly use the route specified as opposed to it deciding what’s best?! Apart from sending a Google Maps destination and selected route from your PC to your Android device, the same problem occurs when you start the process actually in the car: (1) select Google Maps application on your Android telephone, (2) specify and select the destination by choosing one of the possible routes shown, (3) select “Start” on the phone, (4) plug in the USB connector, (5) select Android Auto on the Infotainment screen and away you go. But Android Auto doesn’t seem to give a damn what you specified other than the destination and it sets about choosing and using the fastest route (and at times employing not-so-good secondary roads) – all without giving a clue beforehand that it thinks it’s smarter than you and to hell with what you chose. Am I wrong about this? Is there some secret, easy way to get Android Auto to go exactly the way you’ve chosen (without having to set up intermediate destinations such that it can’t deviate)?

People constantly complain about this Google shortcoming even on the user forum for Google Maps. It mystifies me why they don’t fix this deficiency in the product.

Last edited by ECSIII; 09-01-2018 at 04:51 PM. Reason: formatting
Old 09-01-2018, 05:01 PM
raylo
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 255 Posts

The problem is knowng in advance where you might need to do this.

What exactly is the difficulty of downloading offline maps for Google Maps?
Old 09-01-2018, 05:12 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Never said anything about that. Of course it's trivial. But how does a phone get such data without GPS or internet?
Here's some good reading on the subject

https://www.techrepublic.com/article...re-turned-off/

Of course, if you're using Google Maps, you have GPS and Location Services turned on anyway so it's a moot point in this case, no?

Last edited by KenHorse; 09-01-2018 at 05:13 PM.

Quick Reply: GM Navigation....Worst $99 I ever spent.