C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Navigation....Worst $99 I ever spent.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 01:45 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Default GM Navigation....Worst $99 I ever spent.

I'd been following the thread someone posted about the new and updated GM Navigation software and decided to give it a try. I was hoping it was truly an updated version of what I had in my 2016 Little Blue Vette. Well, I had a chance to evaluate the so-called "new and improved" GM Navigation this afternoon and was very disappointed. Along with updated map locations, I assumed that the voice recognition feature would work better. Boy, was I wrong.

I tested it by asking it to navigate to the QFC grocery store in my town (using all of the correct prompts), only a few blocks away. It could not find it. Then I asked it to find the intersection of two well-traveled streets, also a few blocks away. It could not find that either. Then I asked it to locate a certain Point of Interest in Federal Way, and it took 7 tries before it finally recognized Federal Way and then the POI I was looking for. It came up with towns from Maine to New Jersey which I guess sound like Federal Way.

English is my first language and I spoke each word as clearly as possible and yet it got my requested places horribly confused with places on the other side of the country. Sure wish I could get a refund for this pathetic attempt at providing navigation help. And when compared with Google Navigation, the GM Nav is simply laughable, a joke. If anybody depends on the GM Nav and hasn't yet tried Android Auto and Google Nav, you will be in for a most pleasant surprise once you do so. It is sooooooo much easier to use and waaaay more accurate as well.

Anybody wanna buy a slightly used USB thumbdrive with an almost brand-new version of GM Navigation? I'll sell it for cheap!?!
The following 3 users liked this post by ExRedRacer:
jimmbbo (09-01-2018), Rebel Yell (09-01-2018), SilverGhost (09-01-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 04:04 AM
blkvet6
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 73 Posts

1) I believe that each update is VIN specific, thus it would not work for anyone else.
2) I also have a 2016, and also just updated, and I agree that the voice commands work nowhere near as well as Android Auto (which I also use).
3) Notwithstanding its shortcomings, as I've stated before, if it's just a situation where I put in the address, I still have a preference for the integrated GM nav system, because it shows on the heads-up display, and I also like the black look of it on-screen as opposed to the somewhat generic look that Google Maps / Android Auto has. When used in this manner, I've never had any problem at all with the GM factory nav, works well for me. But I am in a heavily populated area, maybe that's why.

Last edited by blkvet6; 09-01-2018 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:01 AM
2many2count
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had my 16' since November of 15'. Haven't even tested my navigation to see if it works. I use an app on my phone called Waze. Phone sits in the cubby very nicely and other Wazers let you know where the trouble spots are. It will re- direct you to your destination if there is an accident or heavy congestion. Did I mention that Waze is FREE.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:26 AM
ahero4eternity
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by 2many2count
I've had my 16' since November of 15'. Haven't even tested my navigation to see if it works. I use an app on my phone called Waze. Phone sits in the cubby very nicely and other Wazers let you know where the trouble spots are. It will re- direct you to your destination if there is an accident or heavy congestion. Did I mention that Waze is FREE.
I can't wait until Waze is compatible with CarPlay. Hopefully sometime this month or early next.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:35 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,191 Posts

I know that the earlier C7s didn't have Car Play or Android Auto, but for the newer cars that do have it, I wonder why people spend the additional $1795 to get factory nav? I use the maps feature on my iPhone through Car Play a lot and it's fantastic! And there is no need to pay for any updates as it's always updating (in fact I have found my Maps app is one of the only navigation tools right now that is able to find my newly constructed house, we have had so many delivery people lately that can't find our house because their navigation system wasn't up to date yet)
The following users liked this post:
Mike Campbell (12-31-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 08:51 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I have a 15 with factory nav and when I need nav help I just use google maps on my iPhone. Much easier to enter destination and use even though it is not on my car’s screen. Last time I get factory nav in a vette.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:01 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

There ya go, "Assume", You make an *** of u and me. The voice function only speaks ancient Klingon. The voice thing and me just don't make it. I've used the destination function and hit exits on an interstate, small towns as way points, and never missed on an address. Assume that this update fixes the voice interface is beyond a reasonable expectation.

Elmer
Old 09-01-2018, 09:09 AM
don7790
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

I have to agree there doesn’t seem to be any difference to what I had but worst $99 spent? I was in a strip club once,never mind a story for another time. I have been alive to long to say the worst 100 bucks I ever spent.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:17 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

By way of association, ipso facto the worst $1700 you've ever spent was actually on the nav option itself.
caveat emptor etc etc

Old 09-01-2018, 09:50 AM
Benwish
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ExRedRacer
>Anybody wanna buy a slightly used USB thumbdrive with an almost brand-new version of GM Navigation? I'll sell it for cheap!?!
Naa, keep it.
It's about 3$ for 16GB right now. Might want to load it up with MP3's and use it that way.

I like the update from my '16 to this one. It has many new roads in my area and I am happy with this.
i do not use the voice feature at all, to each its own. For me its the build in heads-up feature which I like and use.

Old 09-01-2018, 10:00 AM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

I didn't opt for Navigation, the car just happened to have it with the packages that I looked for. I agree when compared to Waze or Google Maps, factory Nav is lacking. One cool thing about Nav is placing it on the center screen. If for some reason I need it, it's not a bad Nav, I'd use it.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:02 AM
Kerz
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by don7790
I have to agree there doesn’t seem to be any difference to what I had but worst $99 spent? I was in a strip club once,never mind a story for another time. I have been alive to long to say the worst 100 bucks I ever spent.
too funny!
Old 09-01-2018, 10:15 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by ExRedRacer
I'd been following the thread someone posted about the new and updated GM Navigation software and decided to give it a try. I was hoping it was truly an updated version of what I had in my 2016 Little Blue Vette. Well, I had a chance to evaluate the so-called "new and improved" GM Navigation this afternoon and was very disappointed. Along with updated map locations, I assumed that the voice recognition feature would work better. Boy, was I wrong.
Where did you get the silly idea that the navigation *software* was being updated? It's not and probably never will. The nav update is only an update to the mapping data.

I tested it by asking it to navigate to the QFC grocery store in my town (using all of the correct prompts), only a few blocks away. It could not find it. Then I asked it to find the intersection of two well-traveled streets, also a few blocks away. It could not find that either. Then I asked it to locate a certain Point of Interest in Federal Way, and it took 7 tries before it finally recognized Federal Way and then the POI I was looking for. It came up with towns from Maine to New Jersey which I guess sound like Federal Way.
Why would you think that if it's "close by" that the nav software would be able to somehow more easily find it? Makes no sense. The problem is simple - the voice recognition of the default nav sucks ***. Use Android Auto. You'll be much happier.

English is my first language and I spoke each word as clearly as possible and yet it got my requested places horribly confused with places on the other side of the country. Sure wish I could get a refund for this pathetic attempt at providing navigation help. And when compared with Google Navigation, the GM Nav is simply laughable, a joke. If anybody depends on the GM Nav and hasn't yet tried Android Auto and Google Nav, you will be in for a most pleasant surprise once you do so. It is sooooooo much easier to use and waaaay more accurate as well.
Indeed. The only thing the default nav is good for is when my phone is totally out of power and I need to get back home.

Anybody wanna buy a slightly used USB thumbdrive with an almost brand-new version of GM Navigation? I'll sell it for cheap!?!
Again, it doesn't have any new version of the software - it's merely a mapping data update.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:19 AM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,267 Likes on 508 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

The GM navigation system is pretty bad . . . but it does work (sort of) and will get you where you want to go (most of the time). I use it occasionally, but frequently let common sense (THAT doesn't sound right) and a decent sense of direction (I think we need to go THAT way) override it. I always have my iPhone and all the apps available on it if I get really, really lost. As my sons like to say, "First World problems, Dad. If your biggest aggravation is that the nav system in your Corvette isn't that great, I guess you're doing OK."
Old 09-01-2018, 10:51 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder22
By way of association, ipso facto the worst $1700 you've ever spent was actually on the nav option itself.
caveat emptor etc etc

im glad the Nav was a free call on my PDR addon to 1LZ! I don’t use it anymore.

Ios 12 update will let us use waze soon hopefully.

Last edited by Parcival; 09-03-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:06 AM
Null Pointer
Exception ID 10T
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 506 Likes on 333 Posts

I use factory NAV in all my vehicles. Just put in destinations and waypoints and off you go. Never liked voice recognition on any of them, Ford, GM, Honda. Nav came with PDR on my vette. The update shows several new major roads that weren't on the prior version. I think it is overpriced, even for the "sale" price of $99, but what are you going to do? Too much of a pain to use phone apps for navigation when everything is built right in with the factory stuff. As far as the thumb drive, a Chinese or Russian hacker would find it is very easy to crack the vin lock.

Last edited by Null Pointer; 09-01-2018 at 11:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-01-2018, 11:09 AM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

I do use the factory nav from time to time because of the heads up display and it's easy to see. But like in our other cars (including a Jeep nav) I usually program the destination with the phone app and send it to the car. Seems to work better than the crappy interface.

Get notified of new replies

To GM Navigation....Worst $99 I ever spent.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:18 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Never had a problem with the nav in in my 2014 Z51 and never had any issues with it getting me where I need to be.

(ordered it on my 2019 GS as well)
The following 2 users liked this post by KenHorse:
JFJr (09-01-2018), Kent1999 (01-01-2019)
Old 09-01-2018, 11:23 AM
Luke42_02
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 544 Likes on 192 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

It’s quite clear that they ran out of time with the voice recognition and just launched it anyway never to be improved upon. It can recognize about 15 locations nationwide and otherwise just says “I’m sorry” a lot. The voice recognition is entirely onboard, even Apple and android don’t do that so it’s crazy of us to expect anything from it. They should have just left it out. I have never once gotten the voice recognition to find the correct location out of hundreds of attempts.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:23 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Never had a problem with the nav in in my 2014 Z51 and never had any issues with it getting me where I need to be.

(ordered it on my 2019 GS as well)
When you get your 2019, download Android Auto to your phone, plug it into one of your USB ports, and try using Google to navigate. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how much better it is than GM Nav.

Quick Reply: GM Navigation....Worst $99 I ever spent.