Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took my GS out to the drag strip

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 12:53 PM
RobBeacon
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a couple hundred passes under my belt in various cars and trucks. I was running stock good year eagles with 32 psi pressure in them. Did you drive through the water box? Did you do a burn out? I would recommend not doing either. Maybe a tiny burn out on street tires if it’s cold out. If you start to pour smoke off the rear your overheating then and makin then greasy. I would drive around the water box and back the rear in. Start spinning them, let off brake and roll out spinning till you feel them start to bite then clutch in and roll up to the beams. If you have any water on your front or rear tires at the line you could have sketchy take off results. Personally I would turn off traction control but leave stability control in place. Leaving TC On is going to pull timing and power out of your car. Practice quick take offs somewhere safe and 1-2 quick shifts. If you stay in the grooves of the track where the rubber is she should still shoot straight if your tires begin to spin our cars if in trac mode will utilize the electronic diff to keep the car in a straight line. It’s hard to put all this together right away it’s going to take you some time to get comfortable with it.
Originally Posted by GrandSport223
Nice run! I wish my car left the line like that... people on here saying I should not use traction control... this track I was on was so slippery even with the traction control on the car was spinning like crazy. Course with my mashing it to the floor in 1st and 2nd no wonder... but my fear with traction control off I would skid out of control!

Old 09-08-2018, 12:56 PM
RobBeacon
Instructor

Oh oh and don’t use the factory launch control it’s useless. With street tires launching at 4K is incredibly too high. I tried my 0-60 timer and launch control took my 5 sec to get to 60. Second try TC off launch car myself 4.2. I know with more seat time I can probably shave close to a second off of this with the right road conditions.

Originally Posted by RobBeacon
I have a couple hundred passes under my belt in various cars and trucks. I was running stock good year eagles with 32 psi pressure in them. Did you drive through the water box? Did you do a burn out? I would recommend not doing either. Maybe a tiny burn out on street tires if it’s cold out. If you start to pour smoke off the rear your overheating then and makin then greasy. I would drive around the water box and back the rear in. Start spinning them, let off brake and roll out spinning till you feel them start to bite then clutch in and roll up to the beams. If you have any water on your front or rear tires at the line you could have sketchy take off results. Personally I would turn off traction control but leave stability control in place. Leaving TC On is going to pull timing and power out of your car. Practice quick take offs somewhere safe and 1-2 quick shifts. If you stay in the grooves of the track where the rubber is she should still shoot straight if your tires begin to spin our cars if in trac mode will utilize the electronic diff to keep the car in a straight line. It’s hard to put all this together right away it’s going to take you some time to get comfortable with it.

Old 09-08-2018, 02:29 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

I agree with Launch control off unless he has the latest update that lowers the RPM down from 4,000 and also makes sure hill assist is not engaged ( that is what was blowing the spider gears out of the rears )

But telling a new guy, who is blowing the tires off the car on a slippery track to turn TC of is not a good idea ... maybe after he gets a few runs under his belt and learns to launch the car with TC on ... then yes but out of the gate , let's just play it safe and leave TC on ...

TC or TM is not pulling power as long as you are not spinning , learn to launch smooth with it on is not costing you much in the way of timing being pulled plus its safer

I have plenty of logs to show this fact .....

There is a 12.5 to 12.9 with TC turned on in that car

Once he gets there then he can worry about turning it off and getting that last .5 second

You want to feel a wild ride ... turn off Torque Management ....... and then hold on ...

Dave
Old 09-08-2018, 02:39 PM
GrandSport223
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 70 Posts

Yea. I think with traction control off I would pretty much have to start off very slowly off the line and just get use to the control of the power and torque and controlling the car before getting brave enough to floor it.

As as I said, scared the crap out of me the very first time I launched off the line and she went all over the place! What was flashing before my eyes was holly **** I'm going to flip this thing going down the race track!

Originally Posted by Dcasole
I agree with Launch control off unless he has the latest update that lowers the RPM down from 4,000 and also makes sure hill assist is not engaged ( that is what was blowing the spider gears out of the rears )

But telling a new guy, who is blowing the tires off the car on a slippery track to turn TC of is not a good idea ... maybe after he gets a few runs under his belt and learns to launch the car with TC on ... then yes but out of the gate , let's just play it safe and leave TC on ...

TC or TM is not pulling power as long as you are not spinning , learn to launch smooth with it on is not costing you much in the way of timing being pulled plus its safer

Once he gets there then he can worry about turning it off and getting that last .5 second

You want to feel a wild ride ... turn off Torque Management ....... and then hold on ...

Dave

Last edited by GrandSport223; 09-08-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:31 PM
GrandSport223
Racer

Dave
how long can you drive on these Michelin run flats before you have to change them? Right now I have over 12,300 miles on her. Could the back tires be getting pretty warn down by now? I almost never squeal the tires very often on the streets...

Dave
Old 09-08-2018, 03:50 PM
poughkeepsie
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

What is this update you speak of? I think the launch control is a great feature. But I also believe the launch rpm is too high. I don't understand why they didn't make it adjustable via the dic

Dave
Old 09-08-2018, 04:31 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Dave
how long can you drive on these Michelin run flats before you have to change them? Right now I have over 12,300 miles on her. Could the back tires be getting pretty warn down by now? I almost never squeal the tires very often on the streets.
I put 20,000 on my C6 MPSs run flats with may road course and quarter mile runs ... and they were only less than 1/2 way worn ...
treat them good and they will last
Dave
Old 09-08-2018, 04:38 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by poughkeepsie
What is this update you speak of? I think the launch control is a great feature. But I also believe the launch rpm is too high. I don't understand why they didn't make it adjustable via the dic
I have to find the thread , I was following that guy with the Blue C7 on U Tube that blew his rear out the first time he tried Launch Control . In his second video he talks about how his spiders blew up and that GM was pretty confident that it was a combination of the hill hold feature and the rpm being
set to high

I love launch control , the car might not be as fast but more consistant , which is what I want for 1/4 ?mile racing

Dave
Old 09-08-2018, 05:56 PM
ZMMMMM
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 160 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Drag strip and "I don't have five or six grand to spend", don't mix. Drag strip action is russian roulette with cars. I've been there a couple of times and didn't lose the RR game. I won't be going back except to watch the others drive to glory! Elmer
I think it is important to note that some ordinary collision insurances have exclusions for any type of HPDEs. So... if my car is totaled at the drag strip, I presume I would lose the entire value of my car #ouch

That's why this thread should somewhere include the official name of Chevrolet's electronic stability control program, which is https://www.gmfleet.com/technology/stabilitrak.html. StabiliTrak can help to prevent you from crashing into a wall. Traction control is only designed to prevent the wheels from spinning.

People doin' HPDEs should ideally also have a solid understanding of PTM, eLSD, magride, ABS, rev match, launch control, and, no lift shift.

Originally Posted by jschindler
There is an old saying. Road racing wears parts out. Drag racing breaks parts.
I like the ol' saying...how do you become a millionaire in racing? ... start as a billionaire.

Last edited by ZMMMMM; 09-08-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:51 PM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Very first time racing at a drag strip. Didn't go very well. It was just test and tune day so no actual racing. My very first pass I thought I would try to run with traction control off. Big mistake! Right off the line from 1st to 2nd, the car got really Squirrley on me and she went all over the place. 2nd pass put the traction control back on. Big improvement for handling down the track. This track was slippery. 1st 2nd just spins and brakes lose... then finally get traction.
Did you try Launch Control?
Old 09-08-2018, 07:02 PM
RobBeacon
Instructor

I didn’t realize the tire spin was unnerving for the op. So yes TC should probably be left on until he become more comfortable with the launching process. Tire spin hasn’t really ever bothered me it’s sideways tire spin that freaks me out lol!

Dave

Last edited by RobBeacon; 09-08-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:07 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

I didn’t realize the tire spin was unnerving for the op. So yes TC should probably be left on until he become more comfortable with the launching process. Tire spin hasn’t really ever bothered me it’s sideways tire spin that freaks me out lol!

yeah if you dont get crossed up at least once , you are not trying hard enough lol lol
Dave
Old 09-08-2018, 07:53 PM
GrandSport223
Racer

Tire spin doesn't bother me. It's when the car goes sidevways is when I get concerned.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:55 PM
GrandSport223
Racer

Didnt even know my car had that option. From what I read on here launch control is very tricky with a standard especially if you're not used to using it

Originally Posted by Matthewstorm
Did you try Launch Control?
Old 09-08-2018, 09:07 PM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Received 591 Likes on 372 Posts

BJ... I really could have used you at the race track last Saturday! 😎

My very first pass, I did go around the water, backed in, traction control off, great burn out. Then scared the **** out of my self off the line when she bucked sideways on me! I thought I was going to loose it down the track! I was actually really surprised how slippery it was! Granted I was like one of the first guys that ran that day so the track would be a lot more slippery. Later in the day the track was a lot better after so many cars went down it.

You are overthinking taking off. You need to practice anywhere you can to just try and take off quickly without spinning the tires, once you do that just repeat it on the drag strip. Practice with no traction control on, control any wheel spin by finesse of the gas pedal by the seat of your pants. You need to be able to feel wheel spin and feel when you don't spin. Stop popping the clutch, slow, easy partial clutch release ( let it slip a little), when you feel bite (its not going to spin) gently roll into the gas.
The following 2 users liked this post by BJ67:
65fastback (09-09-2018), RobBeacon (09-09-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 10:13 PM
GrandSport223
Racer

Well for me the the season is pretty much over. It's getting colder out. And crappy weather. Rain ext. maybe only a few more months then it's time to put the lady away for Winter. I'll practice more on the highway with my starts. First I'm putting my rev limiter back in!

Originally Posted by BJ67
You are overthinking taking off. You need to practice anywhere you can to just try and take off quickly without spinning the tires, once you do that just repeat it on the drag strip. Practice with no traction control on, control any wheel spin by finesse of the gas pedal by the seat of your pants. You need to be able to feel wheel spin and feel when you don't spin. Stop popping the clutch, slow, easy partial clutch release ( let it slip a little), when you feel bite (its not going to spin) gently roll into the gas.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:16 PM
Naldinator
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Easy there Simba lol

His C6 is far far from stock , its a NA LS 3 Headers , cam intake tune along with MT Drag radials pushing 500 RWHP .... against my stone stock on Run flats C7 .....

I was base lining my new motor before I start my mods ....
Yeah my car is a bit modified. Cam, Headers, vararam, very small cats, cutouts and a wicked tune from Vengeance. 499 to the tire. Runs good. The driver sucks though.

My best at the track Dave and I run is a 11.34 @125.0MPH with a 1.88 60ft. I feel like it has a better 60 in it. I normally run in the street car line which they put you out of the groove because I get to line up against my friends there. Our track is not know for good prep on test and tune nights. I am normally around 11.6-11.7

All said and done we have a good group of people we go racing with and just like to have fun. Met another guy Friday night that I am sure we will add to the mix. One of the things I love about cars is the people!!!!!!!

Here is that run. Note a hellcat blew my doors off during my best run ever.

Last edited by Naldinator; 09-08-2018 at 10:16 PM. Reason: screwed up MPH
The following users liked this post:
Dcasole (09-08-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Took my GS out to the drag strip

Old 09-09-2018, 12:32 AM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

Took my 2018 bone stock M7 base stingray ( no NPP no nothing ) out for its first visit to the strip today. The car has 6000 miles on it.

I have driven MT cars my whole life but this is my first time driving a MT on a drag strip ( my fastback is a auto been drag racing it for 15 years ).... anyway conditions where decent and the track was well prepped most of the day.

Made 3 passes
1. 12.56 at 114.50 mph.......with a horrible 2.11 60 ft
2. 12.53 at 114.38 mph..... again horrible 2.04 60ft
3. 13.05 at 114.54 mph.....even worse 2.41 60 ft car bogged and almost died. also hit rev limiter in 2nd gear.

TC off no launch control used in "sport mode".....no burn out just a quick spin AFTER the water box to kick off the debris and warm tires.
The starting line had more grip than i was ready for ...first pass i launched at about 3500 rpm and spun but a quick pedal and it hooked back up 2nd pass i left like i was driving on the street and it almost bogged but had my best 60 ft
3rd pass i put it in "tour mode" bogged badly off the line and the tach in tour mode is not as precise as sport mode so i hit the rev limiter pretty good in 2nd gear.

I had 2 decent passes and all i have to say is.... there is a very fine line to getting the most out of a MT c7 corvette it take's ALOT of seat time and a small amount of luck ( track prep ) to be a hero in a manual. I would never dream of bracket racing one of these ....A8 is another story
Old 09-09-2018, 12:38 AM
RobBeacon
Instructor

I've gotta get my C7 down to my local track and see how I do.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:18 AM
GrandSport223
Racer

This is a bit off topic but is there a tuner that can bump the C7 to 500 HP? I have the Diablo 3 intuner. I think it's supposed to be good for 20-25 more horse power from the rear wheels. It makes a difference. Pulls very strong 2nd,3rd and 4th. I run 94 octane with racing gas mix

Quick Reply: Took my GS out to the drag strip