'18 ZO6 first small problem 7,400 miles, hot air blowing on feet

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 04:45 PM
duanesZ06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 264 Likes on 161 Posts
Default '18 ZO6 first small problem 7,400 miles, hot air blowing on feet

This is more of a question to you forum guys than a complaint. My 18 ZO6 air conditioning is blowing hot air on my feet if I have the vents set to only dash, does not do it all the time. I haven't taken it in yet. I thought I would ask on here first I like to work on my car if I can. A little over 7,000 miles its not a big problem but I would like to fix it or get it fixed. Other than this the car is awesome! Anyone got any ideas why?

Last edited by duanesZ06; 09-03-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:56 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Sounds like a mixer door issue (either it or the computer commanding it).

I'd let the dealer have a look - under warranty I awesome?

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 09-03-2018 at 08:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
duanesZ06 (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 05:38 PM
Jaylars
Pro

Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts

When I first got my car there was always some heat coming from below, it's a hot car. When I use the AC, I always place the system in Auto mode. When not in Auto mode, the car remains much warmer for longer and does not cool as fast. Try using the Auto function at 72-73 and see if that helps. If not, time to take her in and get it checked out. GL
duanesZ06 (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 05:46 PM
duanesZ06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jaylars
When I first got my car there was always some heat coming from below, it's a hot car. When I use the AC, I always place the system in Auto mode. When not in Auto mode, the car remains much warmer for longer and does not cool as fast. Try using the Auto function at 72-73 and see if that helps. If not, time to take her in and get it checked out. GL
I keep in auto all the time I can turn it to dash and floor and that helps, but it does,t seem to get as cool when this is happening, like a door in the duct work is not closing or opening I was wondering if anyone else experienced this in there car. But Thanks for the advise.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:56 PM
Obe1 GS
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 127 Posts

My 2019 GS floor vent just stopped working after 900 miles; when I select the floor vent air blows out the window defroster. I plan to take it in the warranty repair.
duanesZ06 (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 06:04 PM
duanesZ06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Obe1 GS
My 2019 GS floor vent just stopped working after 900 miles; when I select the floor vent air blows out the window defroster. I plan to take it in the warranty repair.
I believe there is a small door in the duct that has to be malfunctioning, mine doesn't do it all the time but you can tell quick you feet cook if you don't change the air selection. I guess its time for its first dealer visit, besides the oil change.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:04 PM
Cork76063
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

2019 Grand Sport here too - a warm floor area/foot well is one of the first things that I noticed when I picked up my car earlier this summer, have not really noticed hot air blowing, maybe a bit of warm, just no cool air at all coming into the floor area. Just thought it was normal, so my solution is I select auto, then select the bi-level button and cool air is directed not only out the dash vents, but also the foot/floor area. The system seems to still be in auto regulating the temp and fan speed, but re-directs the air to both places. Do others notice this? If not, a service call may be in my future.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:00 PM
duanesZ06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Cork76063
2019 Grand Sport here too - a warm floor area/foot well is one of the first things that I noticed when I picked up my car earlier this summer, have not really noticed hot air blowing, maybe a bit of warm, just no cool air at all coming into the floor area. Just thought it was normal, so my solution is I select auto, then select the bi-level button and cool air is directed not only out the dash vents, but also the foot/floor area. The system seems to still be in auto regulating the temp and fan speed, but re-directs the air to both places. Do others notice this? If not, a service call may be in my future.
When I first got my Zo6 I never noticed hot feet and I kept it on Dash vents only. I first noticed it a few months ago warm blowing on my feet and out of the tiny vent next to the console rite under the dash and it was intermittent, some days it was fine, cool feet. I can select bilevel and it cools my foot area but the car does not seem to get as cool like it is mixing with the warm air. Yesterday it was super hot here and I drove it for an hour and no warm air on my feet and I had the dash only selected on the vents. I do believe that you should not have to run on bilevel, warm air should not come out on your feet in dash only mode I am going to take it in next week and get this checked out I will post the result. None of my other cars and one is an older Corvette have this problem, you can select dash only and have cool feet also. When you run on bilevel it does not blow hard enough through the dash vents for a 95 degree day not in Alabama.
Cork76063 (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 08:06 PM
joseanMD
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by duanesZ06
This is more of a question to you forum guys than a complaint. My 18 ZO6 air conditioning is blowing hot air on my feet if I have the vents set to only dash, does not do it all the time. I haven't taken it in yet. I thought I would ask on here first I like to work on my car if I can. A little over 7,000 miles its not a big problem but I would like to fix it or get it fixed. Other than this the car is awesome! Anyone got any ideas why?
Don't feel bad, I noticed it as well on my new Vette it only happened twice, so it was a random event. However, if it does it again I will take it in for repairs. Although it wasn't a huge amount of hot air, it was puzzling and cumbersome, more than annoying. The problem is that the hot air problem is not presistent, so I can't take it to de dealership for repairs as they won't be able to replicate the problem. Leaving me out of luck. I sure hope your luck is better than mine!

Last edited by joseanMD; 09-03-2018 at 08:08 PM.
duanesZ06 (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 08:12 PM
duanesZ06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by joseanMD
Don't feel bad, I noticed it as well on my new Vette it only happened twice, so it was a random event. However, if it does it again I will take it in for repairs. Although it wasn't a huge amount of hot air, it was puzzling and cumbersome, more than annoying. The problem is that the hot air problem is not presistent, so I can't take it to de dealership for repairs as they won't be able to replicate the problem. Leaving me out of luck. I sure hope your luck is better than mine!
There is nothing harder to get fixed than an intermittent problem, I am going to try will post result.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:51 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,299 Likes on 13,972 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good luck getting the problem fixed especially one that does not appear all the time. I would let the dealer handle it, provided you have some trust in your local dealer. If not, find a dealer you do trust.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:45 PM
joseanMD
Advanced

Travesty explained. Okay, so the issue seems to be with a GM re-design through some of the 2018 production. It has to do with insulation on the FIREWALL being taken out. The heat you are feeling at your feet is the heater core pipes, that come through the fire wall. mid 18' they changed the design, there used to be a cover/shroud with foam that covered those pipes. that shroud is no longer there, they changed the design. that is the heat you are feeling.

In my case the heat becomes unbearable after driving the car a long distance, the heat on my legs is too much, and becomes unbearable. Short distance no problems.
Anyway, that's the problem, I took the car to the dealership and GM is looking into it. In addition, this also explains a secondary problem if this hot air is coming in, you also get outside smell inside the cabin, regardless of air re-circulating.

Therefore, this is a major re-work on my 2019 car at the moment. It takes 8-9 hours just to get to the car, getting to the firewall is almost a lot of extra work, almost a full week of work. This is going to be a major issue with 2018-and 2019 corvettes blowing hot air on people's feet and smells from the outside coming in. In my case the Tech working on my car is trying to figure out with GM how to fix this problem, but this explains some of the problems with 2018-2019 corvettes.

May be grounds for lemon law to apply as well, which sucks as I really like my car, but I really hate this HOT AIR preventing me to drive the car. So what's the point.
It's a big bummer for me. I am sure your problem may be similar.
I hope this helps. I'll keep you posted on whatever the fix is, but this explains the hot air, and potentially outside smells.
thanks! -Josean

speedlink (10-05-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 06:21 PM
duanesZ06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Travesty explained. Okay, so the issue seems to be with a GM re-design through some of the 2018 production. It has to do with insulation on the FIREWALL being taken out. The heat you are feeling at your feet is the heater core pipes, that come through the fire wall. mid 18' they changed the design, there used to be a cover/shroud with foam that covered those pipes. that shroud is no longer there, they changed the design. that is the heat you are feeling.

In my case the heat becomes unbearable after driving the car a long distance, the heat on my legs is too much, and becomes unbearable. Short distance no problems.
Anyway, that's the problem, I took the car to the dealership and GM is looking into it. In addition, this also explains a secondary problem if this hot air is coming in, you also get outside smell inside the cabin, regardless of air re-circulating.

Therefore, this is a major re-work on my 2019 car at the moment. It takes 8-9 hours just to get to the car, getting to the firewall is almost a lot of extra work, almost a full week of work. This is going to be a major issue with 2018-and 2019 corvettes blowing hot air on people's feet and smells from the outside coming in. In my case the Tech working on my car is trying to figure out with GM how to fix this problem, but this explains some of the problems with 2018-2019 corvettes.

May be grounds for lemon law to apply as well, which sucks as I really like my car, but I really hate this HOT AIR preventing me to drive the car. So what's the point.
It's a big bummer for me. I am sure your problem may be similar.
I hope this helps. I'll keep you posted on whatever the fix is, but this explains the hot air, and potentially outside smells.
thanks! -Josean
Yes the longer you drive it the hotter your feet get. Mine is blowing the hot air out the heater vent and the small vent located under the dash by the console, however if I chose bilevel on the air conditioning selector it will start blowing cold air so it cools the foot area. My complaint is you should not have to run on bi level, the dash only selected the air should be cool on your feet also, it is sometimes, the longer you drive it starts blowing hot air on my feet. It probably is due to what you have found out. I haven't had time to take it in but I am planning on it soon will post the result. Can you not cool the feet area using bilevel selection on the AC control? I can on mine but still not right.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:56 PM
joseanMD
Advanced

Yes the longer you drive it the hotter your feet get. Mine is blowing the hot air out the heater vent and the small vent located under the dash by the console, however if I chose bilevel on the air conditioning selector it will start blowing cold air so it cools the foot area. My complaint is you should not have to run on bi level, the dash only selected the air should be cool on your feet also, it is sometimes, the longer you drive it starts blowing hot air on my feet. It probably is due to what you have found out. I haven't had time to take it in but I am planning on it soon will post the result. Can you not cool the feet area using bilevel selection on the AC control? I can on mine but still not right.
yes it's the same problem... I would take it to the dealership. Unfortunately, the problem is in the FireWall of the car!!! It takes almost a day to get to it. mine is still in the shop after a full week
duanesZ06 (09-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 10:02 PM
duanesZ06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

yes it's the same problem... I would take it to the dealership. Unfortunately, the problem is in the FireWall of the car!!! It takes almost a day to get to it. mine is still in the shop after a full week
What a Bitch, I thought is was going to be hard to fix, knew it was in the forbidden behind dash zone. I may wait to bad weather, if its going to be weeks and I wonder what they will screw up in the repair process!
Old 09-28-2018, 10:21 AM
joseanMD
Advanced

What a Bitch, I thought is was going to be hard to fix, knew it was in the forbidden behind dash zone. I may wait to bad weather, if its going to be weeks and I wonder what they will screw up in the repair process!
I'll keep you posted on the fix, and I apologize it was a long day yesterday so msg may have been a bit confusing.
Anyway word from the dealership is that this problem has been escalated to from service techs all the way up to "High people in GM engineering" to find a fix or a possible solution. However, if the problem is in the Firewall it would be a major pain to get to it.
I don' think after spending 60+k on a car, you want to not be able to drive it due to hot air on your feet making you sweat or even get out of the vehicle to cool off your feet. If a fix is not found, I spoke with a lawyer, car would be considered a lemon This would affect all C7 cars designed mid 2018 and 2019s. Not sure how GM will handle this, so let's hope for a good sound fix to this problem.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:50 AM
joseanMD
Advanced

Duanes,

Here is the update. Things were escalated to GM Engineering, the dealer received instructions from GM to put a high temperature foam in the surrounding heater core pipes. This is similar to what used to be there in C7s designed from 2014-mid2018. I am not sure why GM decided to remove this foam and change the design.

In order to fix the problem, they will need to gain access to the firewall, the fix takes a few days, plus time it takes to get parts ordered. At least it will get fixed on my end under warranty. I just wanted to pass this info along for your situational awareness.

Take care! -Josean
speedlink (10-05-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To '18 ZO6 first small problem 7,400 miles, hot air blowing on feet

Old 10-05-2018, 03:52 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Duanes,

Here is the update. Things were escalated to GM Engineering, the dealer received instructions from GM to put a high temperature foam in the surrounding heater core pipes. This is similar to what used to be there in C7s designed from 2014-mid2018. I am not sure why GM decided to remove this foam and change the design.

In order to fix the problem, they will need to gain access to the firewall, the fix takes a few days, plus time it takes to get parts ordered. At least it will get fixed on my end under warranty. I just wanted to pass this info along for your situational awareness.

Take care! -Josean
Thank you for your due diligence and patience through out. It would be interesting and valuable to find out why the design change happened and the planned revision (hopefully) that GM will will incorporate! Hope the fix is satisfactory. I believe you have done all of us a great service! Thank you

Last edited by speedlink; 10-05-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:33 PM
joseanMD
Advanced

Originally Posted by speedlink
Thank you for your due diligence and patience through out. It would be interesting and valuable to find out why the design change happened and the planned revision (hopefully) that GM will will incorporate! Hope the fix is satisfactory. I believe you have done all of us a great service! Thank you
I'll ask the tech next week probably whenever I get the car back, Weds/Thurs. I'll post an update shortly after. My take on why GM changed the design, is likely cost, but I don't know.

Last edited by joseanMD; 10-06-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:06 PM
duanesZ06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I'll ask the tech next week probably whenever I get the car back, Weds/Thurs. I'll post an update shortly after. My take on why GM changed the design, is likely cost, but I don't know.
Please let me know and the engineering number for the fix if they provide it. Thanks I don't want to start at the floor with my dealership.

Quick Reply: '18 ZO6 first small problem 7,400 miles, hot air blowing on feet