Sponsored by:

C7 Nurburgring times, they're all here!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 11:36 AM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Hi guys you may or may not know that we are heading over to the Nürburgring with our Corvette C7 Z06 with our cooling modifications and a bunch of our other LG Motorsports parts to set a time.
So far I have spent five days running on track and logged over 720 miles on the Nürburgring in various BMW cars while our Corvette is being shipped over It is scheduled to arrive around September 10.
I have four more days schedule on track During that time we will make some time to run I have to dial the car in for the track will be on Pirelli Trofeo R tires. Bilstein made us Special set of double adjustable shocks with their Nurburgring valving. We have help from Forgline wheels- Stoptech brakes, and our LG motorsports Aero package which we feel exceeds that of the Corvette ZR 1.
Our goal is the sub 7 minute time for a full lap- not segment times - and it will be videotaped with the timer on screen. Shipping the car took longer than we anticipated with Customs and special bond to insure that we bring the car back.

I will be heading over in the 24th and I will stay there until October 10 looking for dry conditions. My main concern is the weather. Of the five days I spent on track one day was after a rain the night before and there were still parts of the track where the sun can’t reach because of the trees that stay wet. So in order to set a good time we need a full dry track.

Stay tuned —- we will keep you posted.

Lou Gigliotti

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 09-04-2018 at 11:39 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by LG Motorsports:
beaversstonehaven (09-08-2018), daleong (09-06-2018), devnull (09-14-2018), jbsblownc5 (09-16-2018), snow (09-11-2018), Xanthophyll (09-08-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-04-2018, 11:57 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Good luck, Lou!
The following users liked this post:
LG Motorsports (09-07-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 12:17 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 254 Posts

It's a shame that they couldn't get a "clean" run because a segmented time is merely bench racing at it's finest and nothing more...…..seriously, how would you feel if they took their best 60' combined it with their best 330' time and then combined that with their best back half 1/4 mile time and then used their absolute best 1/4 mile MPH and advertised this as the capability for the car? Absolutely no one would accept this as a legitimate time for the car as no one should accept 6:57 either!
Old 09-04-2018, 12:27 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted P
I would disagree that the majority of owners have no interest in the ring times. I would say the opposite. It may have little bearing on the purchase but I for one am very interested in how the vette compares to other cars on the established measuring track
Really!? First time I read there is an established measuring track?. Which one is it?
Old 09-04-2018, 12:31 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
Hi guys you may or may not know that we are heading over to the Nürburgring with our Corvette C7 Z06 with our cooling modifications and a bunch of our other LG Motorsports parts to set a time.
So far I have spent five days running on track and logged over 720 miles on the Nürburgring in various BMW cars while our Corvette is being shipped over It is scheduled to arrive around September 10.
I have four more days schedule on track During that time we will make some time to run I have to dial the car in for the track will be on Pirelli Trofeo R tires. Bilstein made us Special set of double adjustable shocks with their Nurburgring valving. We have help from Forgline wheels- Stoptech brakes, and our LG motorsports Aero package which we feel exceeds that of the Corvette ZR 1.
Our goal is the sub 7 minute time for a full lap- not segment times - and it will be videotaped with the timer on screen. Shipping the car took longer than we anticipated with Customs and special bond to insure that we bring the car back.

I will be heading over in the 24th and I will stay there until October 10 looking for dry conditions. My main concern is the weather. Of the five days I spent on track one day was after a rain the night before and there were still parts of the track where the sun can’t reach because of the trees that stay wet. So in order to set a good time we need a full dry track.

Lou Gigliotti

Buona Fortuna Lou!
Old 09-04-2018, 12:40 PM
BostonVette
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by arizonaZ0612
Last weekend, the same friend who sent me Jim Mero's retirement announcement sent me a Facebook post from Jim's wife, Terri. The post was photos of the gifts Jim received for his retirement. One of the gifts was a large photograph composed of a lot of smaller photos. At the bottom of the large photo was 7 smaller photos of what seems to be all of Jim's Nurburgring times. I believe this because included in the photos and times were his 3 C6 times that we all know about:
  1. 2009 ZR1 7:26
  2. 2012 Z06/Z07 7:22
  3. 2012 ZR1 7:19
I have no idea what (S) means, but these are the times associated with the C7 photos:
  1. C7 Z51 7:33 (S)
  2. C7 Grand Sport 7:27
  3. C7 Z06/Z07 7:10
  4. C7 ZR1 6:57 (S)
The C7 times are very impressive, but, for the life of me, I can't understand why they were never made public.

Very Cool
Thank for Sharing
Old 09-04-2018, 02:06 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports

Lou Gigliotti
Awesome race car. Can't wait to hear how it goes.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:15 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by JMB
It's a shame that they couldn't get a "clean" run because a segmented time is merely bench racing at it's finest and nothing more...…..seriously, how would you feel if they took their best 60' combined it with their best 330' time and then combined that with their best back half 1/4 mile time and then used their absolute best 1/4 mile MPH and advertised this as the capability for the car? Absolutely no one would accept this as a legitimate time for the car as no one should accept 6:57 either!
No, they did not advertise this. Did you read the post? .

​​​​
Old 09-04-2018, 06:26 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by heavychevy
No, they did not advertise this. Did you read the post? .

​​​​
I didn't say "they advertised it" I was using an analogy for those that are thinking that the 6:57 was an awesome time not recognizing that it is a segmented time which is meaningless....lighten up
Old 09-04-2018, 06:39 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted P
I would disagree that the majority of owners have no interest in the ring times. I would say the opposite. It may have little bearing on the purchase but I for one am very interested in how the vette compares to other cars on the established measuring track
That’s what VIR is for. A long and consistent track, unlike the Ring.
desmophile (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 08:03 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JMB
I didn't say "they advertised it" I was using an analogy for those that are thinking that the 6:57 was an awesome time not recognizing that it is a segmented time which is meaningless....lighten up
Ah, ok, I misread. My bad.

Last edited by heavychevy; 09-04-2018 at 08:05 PM.
JMB (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 11:30 PM
kingpin111
Race Director

Received 102 Likes on 59 Posts

They should talk to Ron Fellows. I'm sure he could do quite the job on the track.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:18 AM
sagrea
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We love vettes. Laptimes are not posted. Laptimes are recorded. We want the vette to be better and better but with valid and truthful numbers. We cant make it the greatest with unverified numbers. Simply anyone could say this is fake even if it is true as long as its not recorded.
#we are better than this
911Hunter (09-06-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 01:38 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,282 Likes on 13,960 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Thanks for sharing those times.

And to Lou at LG - good luck at the track. Will be looking for your posted times.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:37 AM
traind
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by JMB
I think your example, if it was used for pr, would be disingenuous. I also think it would actually show the capability of the vehicle, more or less.

Segments times on a road course are actually a little bit trickier than a drag strip. In general, patching together segment times will show the absolute capability of the car. Obviously, the car actually ran all of those segments so mechanically it could do that. The problem on a road course is there are some Corners where you can save time when you make a mistake. An example would be over driving and missing an apex would allow you to carry a fraction more speed down the preceding straight away. This would artificially lower your segment time even though you missed the Apex and the next segment would be slower. For this to enhance your overall segment lap time these beneficial errors would need to occur at particular places within each segment.

in the end, I agree with you that a segment time lap is not a good way to sell the performance of a vehicle. But depending on how each segment actually shaped out there is a good chance that the segment time Patchwork actually shows the Optimal Performance of a vehicle. With a fantastic driver you will see that their optimal segment times are very close to their fastest lap time.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:46 AM
JMB
Melting Slicks

The problem on a road course is there are some Corners where you can save time when you make a mistake. An example would be over driving and missing an apex would allow you to carry a fraction more speed down the preceding straight away. This would artificially lower your segment time even though you missed the Apex and the next segment would be slower.
You make a great point here....since they brought the ZR1 to the 'Ring strictly for engineering purposes and not trying to set any lap time records this is likely what the whole focus was to ensure that the car would be the best that it could be on that Road Course that 99% of the Drivers would use within the USA! Because they had to test changes to the suspension tuning as well, they likely just flat ran out of time to just try "an all out run time" because I know that they would love to have one but it wasn't the top priority.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:29 PM
GOC
Burning Brakes

Received 199 Likes on 114 Posts

Unless GM invests in a dedicated development site in Germany of some sort and hire professional drivers who has massive experience driving at The Ring, they are never going to touch the times of Porsche who are local to it.

Like it or not, the Nurburgring what the rest of the sports car and supercar world use to benchmark performance. If the new Corvette is to compete internationally sales wise, GM will need to get those halo Ring times in.

The C7 is such a capable platform itself that I'm a bit surprised that GM didn't get serious and do some official laps times. 7:33 range for the Stingray?!?? That's a really good time for a car in that price range and I think more units might have been sold internationally if GM published Ring times for the Stingray, GS, Z06 and ZR1.
911Hunter (09-06-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Nurburgring times, they're all here!

Old 09-05-2018, 07:39 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

The C8 is at the ring now and presumably will take the reigns as top performance vehicle for GM. Gm has no incentive to chase times with the C7ZR1 with a car soon to be demoted. It will make the C8 that much more appealing to pick up the torch in the battle against other manufacturers.

That is unless GM doesn't plan to release the higher performance C8 for a while after the base comes out. The base model isn't gonna beat a GT2 RS.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:17 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by GOC
Unless GM invests in a dedicated development site in Germany of some sort and hire professional drivers who has massive experience driving at The Ring, they are never going to touch the times of Porsche who are local to it.

Like it or not, the Nurburgring what the rest of the sports car and supercar world use to benchmark performance. If the new Corvette is to compete internationally sales wise, GM will need to get those halo Ring times in.

The C7 is such a capable platform itself that I'm a bit surprised that GM didn't get serious and do some official laps times. 7:33 range for the Stingray?!?? That's a really good time for a car in that price range and I think more units might have been sold internationally if GM published Ring times for the Stingray, GS, Z06 and ZR1.
I think VIR and the annual Lightning Lap held there (now, with a full decade of running results of every major car released) has overtaken any significance the Nurburgring might have had. The fact that there is no such thing as an official Ring time certainly hasn’t helped the Ring’s relevance.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:36 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GOC

I'd like to offer a counter argument to the "ring relevancy"

First, I think the premise is inaccurate. Corvette does not have international sales ambitions. Chevrolet pulled out of Europe a while back and I listened to Harlam chat with the UK Corvette fan club indicating tariffs are an hurdle they are not interest tackling.. they let third party (second tier) distributors sell Corvettes internationally as a nice but not critical mission.
Tadge has multiple times stated they are plenty busy at home and Corvette sales numbers vs competition do validate that claim.

Second, hard to believe, but there are currently forty-seven (47!!) international manufacturers of 2 seats sports cars in the world. Of those 47 how many ever bothered or do bother to do "official times" in the last ten years? 4! (counting Lambo/Porsche as the same VW).
To state that The Nurb. (bankrupt in 2012) has now risen to benchmark status because basically ONE manufacturer wants it so is really stretching it....

And finally, putting my cyclist head on as well...Nurburing reminds me of another "benchmark" called Tour de France...superb standings up to the end of the 90s when we all figure out it was a cheating fest.... My2C

Last edited by Telepierre; 09-06-2018 at 05:39 AM.
CorvettoBrando (09-07-2018)

Quick Reply: C7 Nurburgring times, they're all here!