Sponsored by:

Not Rolling Back On Hill (M7)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 04:08 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
Seriously, your lack of desire learn for yourself is off putting. Granted there is much you can learn from the people here, even things not in the manual, but why limit yourself? I know that when I see somebody who will not first try to solve the problem themselves before asking, no burdening somebody else to do that work they quickly get on my list of people who I will not help. I'm sure others feel likewise. And yet you boast and say thank you for nothing. Really? Ignore list for you!
Although I am proud to share space with the many others on defaria's extensive ignore list, I find myself in agreement with him here. I believe people have an obligation to do at least some research on their own rather than expect others to do it for them. If you still don't get it or didn't find it in the rather poorly-indexed manual, then fair enough, but to react with derision when someone else points that out just shows your character. And for the record, the hill assist feature does not always engage properly, particularly if the incline is slight. If you really do need that kind of help the e-brake method is far more certain and will release as you begin to move forward. These days people rarely give you any space as they creep up behind you, but as you get more familiar with the manual you should find that you don't need "assistance" at all.

Last edited by mschuyler; 09-06-2018 at 05:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Steve_R (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 04:54 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

People who refuse to learn how to learn will remain ignorant. My big surprise here is how proud you are of this non-achievement.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:47 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,956 Likes on 942 Posts

People who refuse to learn how to learn will remain ignorant. My big surprise here is how proud you are of this non-achievement.
Coming from you...that's a compliment. By the way, is it possible that on my way to work, I found out this cool feature about the hill. Unlike you, who carries his encyclopedia with him everywhere he goes, I didn't have my manual with me - so guess what - I posted a QUESTION ON THE FORUMS... Holy crap, how dare I... I just proclaimed, I REFUSE TO LEARN by posting a question on the Forums... What was I thinking...

Now go away, add me to your ignore list (please...cause its such a punishment) and let the adults talk...

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 09-08-2018 at 10:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mayor111:
09ZR1 (09-08-2018), ladder13 (09-07-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 05:55 PM
defaria
Safety Car

You do realize that I don't see your posts anymore Mayor111 (thank gawd!)
Old 09-06-2018, 05:57 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,956 Likes on 942 Posts

You do realize that I don't see your posts anymore Mayor111 (thank gawd!)
Can you please delete your online singing videos then too - cause you need to LEARN how to sing - painful...just painful.

Damn my dog wont stop barking...
Old 09-06-2018, 06:00 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Mayor111
Can you please delete your online singing videos then too - cause you need to LEARN how to sing - painful...just painful.

Damn my dog wont stop barking...
Where are they? I have a dog I want to torment. (It's a poodle that gives me grief. I just want to retaliate.)

Old 09-06-2018, 06:10 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Although I am proud to share space with the many others on defaria's extensive ignore list, I find myself in agreement with him here. I believe people have an obligation to do at least some research on their own rather than expect others to do it for them. If you still don't get it or didn't find it in the rather poorly-indexed manual, then fair enough, but to react with derision when someone else points that out just shows your character. And for the record, the hill assist feature does not always engage properly, particularly if the incline is slight. If you really do need that kind of help the e-brake method is far more certain and will release as you begin to move forward. These days people rarely give you any space as they creep up behind you, but as you get more familiar with the manual you should find that you don't need "assistance" at all.
I tend to agree with you (and him), too.

I try to search for answers here before I ask questions. I think it's my obligation. To simply ask a question and expect others to expend their time responding to it while the OP won't expend their own time to search for an answer in the manual or online is arrogant and selfish.

I see (from the above) that the index feature sucks in the manual (oh, great!). I can also attest to the fact that the searching here is too often agonizing, too.

But trying to find the answer is something I will always try to do before requesting others to spend their time on my problem. That's just me. I see others don't share that opinion.
defaria (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 06:20 PM
kupitz
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

My '16 Colorado auto has hill assist, it comes up on the DIC when engaged.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:36 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

My 05 BMW M3 did not have Hill assist nor did my 08 C6Z06 and it was a pain as I have some steep hills right at stop signs on my normal route. Glad to hear Chevy finally woke up on that issue as it was a major reason I moved to the A8 with the C7Z.

BTW, the best way to use the manual is to download a pdf to your computer and open it with Adobe Acrobat. You will then have a very easy and quick "Find" function. Type in your word and it will find all instances of that word in order in the manual. Makes using the manual a much easier experience.
Slynky (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 08:36 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Slynky
I tend to agree with you (and him), too.

I try to search for answers here before I ask questions. I think it's my obligation. To simply ask a question and expect others to expend their time responding to it while the OP won't expend their own time to search for an answer in the manual or online is arrogant and selfish.

I see (from the above) that the index feature sucks in the manual (oh, great!). I can also attest to the fact that the searching here is too often agonizing, too.

But trying to find the answer is something I will always try to do before requesting others to spend their time on my problem. That's just me. I see others don't share that opinion.
Hear, hear! Some people are respectful of other people's time, knowledge and research skills and others are just plain d*cks. I do chuckle however when I realize that that sort of behavior must haunt them for their whole existence if they can't find somebody else to do the work for them. But when they start criticizing people who are helping them when it's been shown they don't want to help themselves well that's where I get off the boat. Let them sink or swim on their own. I did what I could and I'm not gonna sit around and get attacked of their ignorance.

Yes, the index in the Owners Manual is not great (then again a read though the manual doesn't really take that long) and the search facility here, on GM's site and on many sites leaves a lot to be desired. I do a lot of searching about problems and their solutions as part of my job. I can't tell you how many times I am unable to find solutions on the software (I'm in software) vendors site and yet if I google it it comes right up. There's a reason why Google is so much better than most of their competition, it's earned and well deserved. On more than one occasion I've simply copy and pasted a post's title into Google just to see the correct answer popup as the #1 link. All I can do is scratch my head and wonder... Why couldn't the OP do that first and solve the problem himself instead of burdening others? I mean if you just want to have a conversation about the topic and perhaps learn more you could say "Here's my problem... I googled and found a solution but I was wondering if anybody knows more about this". Entitlement is about all I can come up with. That or just plain ignorance. And I would think an intelligent person would be embarrassed if somebody pointed out their neglect WRT doing their own search and endeavor to be more diligent next time. I know that's what happened to me. It was a valuable lesson to me early on and has stuck with me. Then again, maybe we're just not dealing with intelligent, respectful and kind people... one does have to wonder...

There seems to be two types of people - those who are shown they've made a mistake or did not do their due diligence and endeavor to correct that going forward and others who instead get defensive because they've been exposed for their error (not my error mind you!), get defensive and hurl insults. Can you tell the difference between such groups of people right here in this thread? I can, and I bet Slynky (and mschuyler - you were quoted) can too. I guess you can use the saying "Ignorance is curable but stupidity - you can't fix stupid!". The former are ignorant people who are willing to learn and the latter... well you know...

And to add a joke in a vain attempt to keep this light - there are actually 3 types of people in this world. Those who can count and those who can't!
Old 09-06-2018, 09:01 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Back in the days of doing "family tech support" I told my sister, "Well if you read the help you might learn that...". She replied that she didn't need to because she had me. That's when "family tech support” ended,,,
Perhaps... but it is that very thing that has kept me employed for the last 20 some years...thus paying for all my toys,...
So what’s a couple minutes to answer the question?

My dad who worked ar a Chevy dealership for almost twice that (which also has made some of those toys much more affordable) ...called me one day to excitedly ask “did you know you can add numbers in excel??” (Where he had only been using it to create neatly columned lists). I could have said a number of things, but Sometimes, ya just have to play along.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:40 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Hear, hear! Some people are respectful of other people's time, knowledge and research skills and others are just plain d*cks. I do chuckle however when I realize that that sort of behavior must haunt them for their whole existence if they can't find somebody else to do the work for them. But when they start criticizing people who are helping them when it's been shown they don't want to help themselves well that's where I get off the boat. Let them sink or swim on their own. I did what I could and I'm not gonna sit around and get attacked of their ignorance.

Yes, the index in the Owners Manual is not great (then again a read though the manual doesn't really take that long) and the search facility here, on GM's site and on many sites leaves a lot to be desired. I do a lot of searching about problems and their solutions as part of my job. I can't tell you how many times I am unable to find solutions on the software (I'm in software) vendors site and yet if I google it it comes right up. There's a reason why Google is so much better than most of their competition, it's earned and well deserved. On more than one occasion I've simply copy and pasted a post's title into Google just to see the correct answer popup as the #1 link. All I can do is scratch my head and wonder... Why couldn't the OP do that first and solve the problem himself instead of burdening others? I mean if you just want to have a conversation about the topic and perhaps learn more you could say "Here's my problem... I googled and found a solution but I was wondering if anybody knows more about this". Entitlement is about all I can come up with. That or just plain ignorance. And I would think an intelligent person would be embarrassed if somebody pointed out their neglect WRT doing their own search and endeavor to be more diligent next time. I know that's what happened to me. It was a valuable lesson to me early on and has stuck with me. Then again, maybe we're just not dealing with intelligent, respectful and kind people... one does have to wonder...

There seems to be two types of people - those who are shown they've made a mistake or did not do their due diligence and endeavor to correct that going forward and others who instead get defensive because they've been exposed for their error (not my error mind you!), get defensive and hurl insults. Can you tell the difference between such groups of people right here in this thread? I can, and I bet Slynky (and mschuyler - you were quoted) can too. I guess you can use the saying "Ignorance is curable but stupidity - you can't fix stupid!". The former are ignorant people who are willing to learn and the latter... well you know...

And to add a joke in a vain attempt to keep this light - there are actually 3 types of people in this world. Those who can count and those who can't!
LMAO.... gonna have to remember that last paragraph !
Old 09-06-2018, 10:49 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by aj98

Perhaps... but it is that very thing that has kept me employed for the last 20 some years...thus paying for all my toys,...
So what’s a couple minutes to answer the question?

My dad who worked ar a Chevy dealership for almost twice that (which also has made some of those toys much more affordable) ...called me one day to excitedly ask “did you know you can add numbers in excel??” (Where he had only been using it to create neatly columned lists). I could have said a number of things, but Sometimes, ya just have to play along.
I am retired IT. From the Federal Government (LOL). So, you KNOW how that was--always easier to call IT rather than press F1. Yes, and we joked about it being job security. The difference between what I think you are saying is that here, there is no payment. So, in my mind, that's the reason why it irritates some--that the time of the person creating the reply seems to be considered less important than the time of the requester.

Personally, if I can answer a question easily (which is not likely since I've never owned a Corvette), I'll do it (and I won't mention anything about looking in the manual--but I'll think it).

Otherwise, more on topic, I've learned something about that "feature" and I will be more familiar with it and the time delay before it releases the "hold".
Old 09-06-2018, 10:53 PM
defaria
Safety Car

LMAO.... gonna have to remember that last paragraph !
See https://defaria.com/Jokes/taglines.php

I am retired IT. From the Federal Government (LOL). So, you KNOW how that was--always easier to call IT rather than press F1. Yes, and we joked about it being job security. The difference between what I think you are saying is that here, there is no payment. So, in my mind, that's the reason why it irritates some--that the time of the person creating the reply seems to be considered less important than the time of the requester.
In the family tech support case it's also not about payment rather it's about a constant lack of effort on the part of my family members and the time and time again that they would ask the same questions and how, over time, it became clear that they were not appreciative of my efforts nor time and that it was essentially expected of me. IOW they were abusing the privilege. Within any relationship, be it blood, marriage, serious or casual, if you start abusing the other person most rational sane people get aggravated and if it continues for a certain amount of time you discard that portion of the relationship (severe cases you just discard the whole relationship). Do to otherwise is 1) not rational and 2) a sign of gullibility and finally, 3) unhealthy. I endeavor to remain healthy, not gullible and rational. You are free to choose otherwise.

Personally, if I can answer a question easily (which is not likely since I've never owned a Corvette), I'll do it (and I won't mention anything about looking in the manual--but I'll think it).
Again, it's a matter of degree. I've answered many an easily looked up question before. But after many, many of these you begin to wonder if it's any use as the people your helping aren't learning!!! Indeed we've all been to school. School and society are not places were you get your every informational need met by others. As in school, you are taught and expected to learn from the experience, to be better and to grow. If you repeatedly fail to do that then more drastic action is called for like calling you out on your responsibility to do some work!

easier to call IT rather than press F1.

What does gawd need with an F1 key?

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 09-08-2018 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Merged Posts
Slynky (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 11:27 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Coming from you...that's a compliment. By the way moron...
Classy.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:53 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

What does gawd need with an F1 key?
Old 09-07-2018, 12:26 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Hey Guys,

I just noticed something the other day while at a red light, I was on a slight hill. Normally with the clutch in, and I let off the brake, I would roll backwards...but I noticed if Im in Neutral, brake in, and I let off the clutch and press it back in again, and let off the brake, I didn't roll back...almost like the clutch engaged something to prevent me from rolling back... This wasn't just my perception...I tried it a few times on different hills and something clearly was holding the car from rolling back...once I disengaged and engaged the clutch.

Is there any feature in the C7 that prevents the car from rolling back on a hill...almost like a safety or accident preventative system?
If you can read this, ya ever read your Owners Manual?! #Lol!
The following 2 users liked this post by Skid Row Joe:
defaria (09-07-2018), dvilin (09-07-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Not Rolling Back On Hill (M7)

Old 09-07-2018, 12:29 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Otherwise, more on topic, I've learned something about that "feature" and I will be more familiar with it and the time delay before it releases the "hold".
This is what happens ^^^^ when you've eaten lead paint chips.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:58 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
This is what happens ^^^^ when you've eaten lead paint chips.
Worse comeback ever!
Old 09-07-2018, 09:34 AM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

CF = hate club every time

<------ 15 year member tired of the hate

Last edited by proexpert; 09-07-2018 at 09:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Not Rolling Back On Hill (M7)