Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 10:37 PM
jim spitzer
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12
Default Key fob

how long should the battery last in the key fob? Mine is growing on 2 years old. The reason for the question is I was using the fob to put the top down on my 2017 vert and half way everything stopped. So I walked up to the car and started the process all over again to finish putting the top down.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:28 AM
stevettec7
Drifting

Received 759 Likes on 401 Posts

I’d say if you get 2 years out of a battery, you’re doing well. I replace mine on average about once a year. I’ve also learned cheap batteries don’t last. I recent took one from a generic bulk box of CR2032 (for PC’s) from work. It was shot in about 6 months.

I almost locked myself out yesterday actually when I left my fob on the seat. I shut off the engine to hop out to grab something. If I didn’t get the “No Remote Detected” message, I would’ve been looking for a way to call OnStar to unlock me because my cell was also on the seat. I should get out of the habit of leaving the fob inside trusting it’s recognized.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 08:19 AM
kensredvette2
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 27 Posts

Agree - Two years is time for a change, whether a low fob battery notice is on the display or not. My particular experience is that a 'low fob battery' code in the system will be set before the display has the low fob battery warning.
I replaced mine last evening after 3 years upon seeing the code on an obd scanner, and the fob battery voltage was indeed low. Separating the fob halves is easy and described in the owners manual. Clearly, I let that battery go way too long
Even once a year is good insurance - as the previous poster said, having the fob go blank is just not a good thing on a vette with its electric everything.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:50 AM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

My experience is that the original battery lasts me about five years. Then I replace it with an energizer or duracell battery.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:54 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,810 Likes on 2,058 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jim spitzer
how long should the battery last in the key fob? Mine is growing on 2 years old. The reason for the question is I was using the fob to put the top down on my 2017 vert and half way everything stopped. So I walked up to the car and started the process all over again to finish putting the top down.
Putting the top down with the FOB is a battery eater. You are holding the button down constantly until the top locks in place and the car beeps. Our FOBs communicate with the car is extremely short bursts to save the battery. Putting the top down is not an extremely short burst.

I recommend a product called SmartTop. It allows you to press the FOB for 2-3 seconds and the top will go down as well as the windows. The bonus is that you can also put the top and windows UP with it and that is a blessing when you are racing to your car to put up the top as the rain is coming down. I was at a car show yesterday and a cloud came over. As a convertible owner, I watch for that stuff! I had walked over and put the trunk down and went back to my seat on the lawn. Sure enough, it started spitting. I just hit the FOB and the top came up and the windows closed. Luckily it was a spitter and went by without much coming down. I tapped the FOB again and resumed my conversation.

Elmer
Old 09-09-2018, 09:37 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,605 Likes on 6,618 Posts

Originally Posted by kensredvette2
Agree - Two years is time for a change, whether a low fob battery notice is on the display or not. My particular experience is that a 'low fob battery' code in the system will be set before the display has the low fob battery warning.
I replaced mine last evening after 3 years upon seeing the code on an obd scanner, and the fob battery voltage was indeed low. Separating the fob halves is easy and described in the owners manual. Clearly, I let that battery go way too long
Even once a year is good insurance - as the previous poster said, having the fob go blank is just not a good thing on a vette with its electric everything.
I put in a cheap battery after 1 1/2 to 2 years as a precaution in the one FOB I use. After less than a year was having trouble opening the door and then it would not start so put it in the column slot. Came home and started to use the other FOB. It soon had the same, nott opening door issue. I checked both batteies with a battery checker I have had for years. It loads the battery so it's not just reading OCV. Load depends on bat size. Both read just into the Green OK area. Replaced them with new quality batteries that read fully I the Green OK area. All was fine.

I plan to change my Grand Sport battery at 2 years Just-In-Case with a quality battery. I have a coupe so no issues about a Vert top etc.

Last edited by JerryU; 09-09-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:03 PM
Steve Carter
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

After reading this I changed the battery in my spare (never used) remote...just Incase. Voltage was down to 2.91volts.
The following users liked this post:
blkvet6 (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 08:37 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

I had an issue with my 2015 fob after 20 months. Voltage on that battery was 3.05v and the replacement was 3.3v, so based on that one experience I would say that it's time to change. Either way, make sure you have the app on your phone for remote unlocking, and I even keep my spare key (not fob) in a hidden location outside the car as a second line of defense.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:04 AM
Sixgun95
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 127 Posts

Replaced at 2 yrs.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:01 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Steve Carter
After reading this I changed the battery in my spare (never used) remote...just Incase. Voltage was down to 2.91volts.

Hmm, sounds like the OCV found was similar when comparing with a quality battery reading with that posted above and what I found. Even a none used FOB drains the battery. Best to buy only high quality batteries.

I found my spare FOB battery (never used) at ~2 1/2 years was as weak as the cheap battery I had replaced in my always used FOB after ~ 1 3/4 years. My main FOB started not to open the door consistently and I had to put it in the slot to start. My never used spare FOB when I started using it soon after was not opening the door automatically and I had to press the open button.

In my case, I use an old analog battery checker that loads the battery (i.e. draws some current, depending on battery size) which is much better than straight OCV battery reading in assessing battery quality. In my case both read just barley above the Red Replace range. New quality batteries read fully in the Green OK range.

The poster who quoted his OCV readings were 3.05 for a 20 month old battery and 3.3 volts for a new one. Granted the digital volt meters you obviously both used are not necessarily super accurate BUT it appears the C7 FOB needs a relatively high voltage to work properly and consistently.

Last edited by JerryU; 09-11-2018 at 07:24 AM.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:12 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

I got about two and a half years out of my fob battery. Friends that bought their cars about the same time as me, also had fob battery problems after
the two and a half year time frame.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:28 AM
Cirrus8
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

My FOB's were three years old (since I purchased the car) on the 9th. Both would not activate the hatch push button and required pushing the unlock button to get the drivers door to open. I only used one FOB and the other was in storage. Both batteries tested 2.94 volts. New batteries tested 3.3 volts and now all functions are perfect.
BTW, car was built June 29, 2015.

Last edited by Cirrus8; 09-11-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:39 PM
partisan
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Key Fob case won't snap back together

Changing a Fob battery takes about 10 seconds, but I've spent hours trying to get the case back together! One side and the bottom snapped together fine but not the other side. This is more than irritating and finding just the case seems impossible. If you know where I can purchase a new case please let me know. Thanks!.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:40 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,365 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by partisan
Changing a Fob battery takes about 10 seconds, but I've spent hours trying to get the case back together! One side and the bottom snapped together fine but not the other side. This is more than irritating and finding just the case seems impossible. If you know where I can purchase a new case please let me know. Thanks!.
Secret is to pivot the case from the top, then fold down and snap shut.

Easy peasy
Old 09-17-2018, 10:54 PM
Stew24
Pro

Received 170 Likes on 99 Posts

Speaking of key fobs, ... The dealer claimed they couldn't find my second key when I bought my brand new car! They sent me a brand new unprogrammed key fob a week later. I'm 5 hours drive away from that dealer. How can I get this key fob programmed without paying a local dealership to do so. Getting my selling dealer to pay for it is not an option .. (Long story)
Old 09-17-2018, 11:02 PM
partisan
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Secret is to pivot the case from the top, then fold down and snap shut.

Easy peasy
Thanks!
Old 09-18-2018, 08:49 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,810 Likes on 2,058 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Stew24
Speaking of key fobs, ... The dealer claimed they couldn't find my second key when I bought my brand new car! They sent me a brand new unprogrammed key fob a week later. I'm 5 hours drive away from that dealer. How can I get this key fob programmed without paying a local dealership to do so. Getting my selling dealer to pay for it is not an option .. (Long story)

Do the long program shown in here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...s-and-rke.html
Step 1, 2, and then 8.

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 09-18-2018 at 08:51 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Key fob

Old 09-18-2018, 07:58 PM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by Steve Carter
I keep the battery separate from my spare (also never used) remote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:48 AM
jim spitzer
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by partisan
I had to take my wifes car in for service yesterday she drives a cadillac suv. I get in her car and the DIC says change the fob battery Well I was on the way to the dealer for service so I told the wife that I would rather pay them to change the battery. So I don't break it. Anyway what I didn't know was the cadillac dealer does it for free on cars in for service. Then I ask if I could get my C7 fob done and was told to bring it in and they will change the battery no charge. In todays world and market a service like that as small as it is will make me come back.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:34 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

I had to take my wifes car in for service yesterday she drives a cadillac suv. I get in her car and the DIC says change the fob battery Well I was on the way to the dealer for service so I told the wife that I would rather pay them to change the battery. So I don't break it. Anyway what I didn't know was the cadillac dealer does it for free on cars in for service. Then I ask if I could get my C7 fob done and was told to bring it in and they will change the battery no charge. In todays world and market a service like that as small as it is will make me come back.
Yep the BMW dealer does it for free as well. But in fairness it's not difficult just follow directions in the C7 Owen's Manual in starting the separation.

Last edited by JerryU; 09-26-2018 at 05:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Key fob