C7 to be the last manual Corvette? - Page 10 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 to be the last manual Corvette?

Old 09-17-2018, 03:21 PM
Z06*Mike
Support Corvetteforum!

I purchased an C7 with an A8 and that lasted approx. 2 weeks and here is why. I come from the BMW M world and the DCT in these cars is amazing. Millisecond shifts all the way up and down the gears. Want to go from 5th to 2nd, blip the paddle 3 times and by the time you released the paddle, you were in 2nd. The Corvette A8 was in no way a slouch, as it did shift "OK". If I downshifted from 5th to 2nd, by the 3rd paddle it was still disengaging 3rd and not even going into 2nd yet. OK, this was something I could overcome and just time my shifts different. The one thing I COULD NOT overcome is that "Shift Denied" and the inability to STAY in manual mode. It would always shift back after a period of time and take control back. In the M cars, the damn thing would let you blow it up if you wanted. I felt like GM was saying, "Sure its an automatic, but here are some paddles to play with, if the car wants to..." IF GM sees fit to go only automatic, dct, etc.. They will need to step up their game because they will be going against companies that have put many years and endless research into these systems. Until then, I am VERY happy with the M7 in my Z06 I traded the auto for!

Last edited by Z06*Mike; 09-17-2018 at 05:38 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Z06*Mike For This Useful Post:
dvilin (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 03:22 PM
Skid Row Joe
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by mschuyler View Post
I second that. I drove manuals for years, but somehow went astray and started driving autos. When I got my M7 I was astounded. "Jesus, I missed this!" is what I said. I'm sure glad I got back. It's one of those things that makes life a little less boring.
100%, Mike! The autos are such a boring beating. Like borrowing your folk's car, every time you drive.

The first Corvette manual I drove was in 1972 - a C3, 350 '70 or '71. I was at a house party where this 4-speed Corvette needed to be moved from the driveway for another car to leave. I volunteered to move the C3 and was hooked. I never forgot how much more fun it was than the new C3, A3 I bought a few
years later. The [email protected] C4/C5/C6, were all worth skipping. I've got the best Chevrolet manual ever - the mighty M7 C7.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 09-17-2018 at 04:56 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skid Row Joe For This Useful Post:
mschuyler (09-17-2018), NineVettes (09-18-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 04:53 PM
Skid Row Joe
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Z06*Mike View Post
I purchased an C7 with an A8 and that lasted approx. 2 weeks and here is why. I come from the BMW M world and the DCT in these cars is amazing. Millisecond shifts all the way up and down the gears. Want to go from 5th to 2nd, blip the paddle 3 times and by the time you released the paddle, you were in 2nd. The Corvette A8 was in no way a slouch, as it did shift "OK". If I downshifted from 5th to 2nd, by the 3rd paddle it was still disengaging 3rd and not even going into 2nd yet. OK, this was something I could overcome and just time my shifts different. The one thing I COULD NOT overcome is that "Shift Denied" and the inability to STAY in manual mode. It would always shift back after a period of time and take control back. In the M cars, the damn thing would let you blow it up if you wanted. I felt like GM was saying, "Sure its an automatic, but here are some paddles to play with, if the car wants to...".
Christ, what an unmitigated disaster! Unbelievable! No wonder the Kool-aid drinkers try endlessly to defend their mistake purchases.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:30 PM
ByRiver
CF Senior Member

Do you the paddle shifters use the paddles to shift when you drive to the grocery store or to work in the morning? Or is it just a weekend thing and you just leave in Auto the rest of the time?
Old 09-17-2018, 07:00 PM
spinkick
CF Senior Member

I will be "happy" with the DCT if it shifts incredibly fast and also stays in paddle mode like a manual stays in a specific gear. I'm also probably keeping my manual c7
Old 09-18-2018, 03:51 PM
AORoads
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,199 Times in 1,003 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by kennyjames21 View Post
In the 60s, you could easily beat most automatics (performance-wise) with a manual, now, not so much.

Outside of the technology/performance gap, fact of the matter is, the pro-manual crowd is small and getting smaller, because right now, the kids learning to drive just aren't getting exposed to manuals, go to a car rental place and see if they have a manual car. I get the auto-driving car argument, but the reality is, manuals are going away right now, drivable cars will still be here for probably a couple generations at least.

Even though I'm not a fan of manuals, I do feel for you guys who do like them, because they are definitely going away soon.
Good thing you said "most" because the TorqueFlite was really a very good auto trans. Maybe not an A8 at WOT and performing perfectly, but very good for its time.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:59 PM
NineVettes
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by JoesC5 View Post
GM built 33,836 coupes and 4,629 convertibles in 1975.

No sane manufacturer would throw away nearly 14% of their business by not offering a convertible. Correct?.

But GM dropped the convertible and in 1976 they built 46,558 coupes and 0 convertibles. An increase in total production of 7,993 over 1975.
Hmm, I could have sworn that I saw several new '19 convertibles in dealer's inventories when I was shopping for my new car.... Guess someone decided taking them away was a mistake??
Old 09-19-2018, 10:28 AM
VetteDrmr
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by spinkick View Post
I will be "happy" with the DCT if it shifts incredibly fast and also stays in paddle mode like a manual stays in a specific gear. I'm also probably keeping my manual c7
This is probably old news to many of you, but I found this last night. Sounds like it can shift pretty hard when driven hard.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 09-19-2018, 08:31 PM
falcon5619
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr View Post
This is probably old news to many of you, but I found this last night. Sounds like it can shift pretty hard when driven hard.

https://youtu.be/TyV8K7Vrp7k?t=1m45s

Have a good one,
Mike
Its too bad the car is doing all the shifting on its own. It also sounds quite different than the current C7 exhaust note. It sounds like something in between a v6 and v8?
Old 09-19-2018, 09:30 PM
VetteDrmr
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by falcon5619 View Post
It also sounds quite different than the current C7 exhaust note. It sounds like something in between a v6 and v8?
I think it's definitely a v8, and doesn't sound turbo'd to me (although I could easily be wrong on that front). The fact that there are two different configurations of covers on the two mules implies to me two different powerplants, although again that's a reach.

Also, IMO, the difference in exhaust sound has to do with a non-production system and obviously a different configuration than the C7.

Interesting stuff!

Have a good one,
Mike

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: