Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 to be the last manual Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 01:29 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

I for one don't need an advanced official statement concerning the transmission. When the C8 is released, the manual transmission will either be an option, or not.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:32 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
See my bold in your reply. Do you really think anyone is going to cross shop $300,000 exotics to a Corvette, now matter how good it is or how it's built? The cars that get cross shopped to the Corvettes are BMW M3/4s, Hellcats, Shelby GT350s, & ZL1 Camaros. Anything else is an outlier. Oh, and all of those cars I just mentioned are still available with manuals.
Do I think so, no. Does GM? Yes. Remember you have to think, what would GM do here. They bought a 458 to benchmark and in fact tore down a second engine from that car. They couldn't get Ferrari to send them a second engine controller so they could dyno it. Ferrari would not sell it to them, they said we only sell to our dealers.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:03 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

While I enjoy 3 pedals, man PDK is really awesome, especially on the track.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:08 PM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
See my bold in your reply. Do you really think anyone is going to cross shop $300,000 exotics to a Corvette, now matter how good it is or how it's built? The cars that get cross shopped to the Corvettes are BMW M3/4s, Hellcats, Shelby GT350s, & ZL1 Camaros. Anything else is an outlier. Oh, and all of those cars I just mentioned are still available with manuals.
Eh... You just never know what people may cross shop. I was cross shopping the Vette with the '19 Mx-5. Also the F-Type and Cayman, but the lack of either of those dealerships near me took those off my list.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:09 PM
ptalar
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Good! It'll make my M7 more valuable when I sell it!
To who? If nobody knows how to shift in the future who will want it except for a collector. The market for a manual will be very small. Wayne Carini of Chasing Classic Cars supports a manual driving class for kids and young adults. I watched one of his shows on it. He even said it was to keep a market for collector cars with manual transmissions.

Last edited by ptalar; 09-12-2018 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:44 PM
JFJr
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ptalar
I don't know why you guys pine for a manual trans. The only reasons manual trans existed in the first place is because of the natural progression of technology. Manual transmissions were the state of the art when cars were first being sold over a 100 years ago. The automatic trans came out in the late 30s, 40s. So the technology transition began from manual to auto. A lot of us mature guys over 60 grew up with manuals because we lived through the transition. There were a lot of cars still around with manuals. A lot of us hot rodded these cars when we were young so we grew an attachment to the manual trans. I get where some don't want to give up that feeling and the manual brings you back in the time of our youth and you get to be more engaged with the car. For me, I don't miss the manual. I love the auto. Especially the A8 in the Vette. With manual mode you can paddle shift. This is just evolution of technology. In the case of transmissions the trend is toward making the driver driving experience more comfortable and relaxing as well as providing more driving options like the A8 provides (M w/paddle shift or D mode). I am all for it. I live in the Los Angeles area and having a manual is hell on the freeways. The new conventional 10 spd autos and DCTs are the new state of the art. They provide better shifting, gas mileage and safety. Our kids have never driven a manual for the majority of us. You know what that means. I have to agree with Tadge, the manuals days are numbered.
Yes, technological changes have evolved the manual and automatic transmissions. Both have improved considerably over the years, and manual transmissions have become more refined and easier to drive. But based on some comments I have read, automatic transmissions seem to be plagued with more problems. I believe that the real issue is one of choice, not of what the "trends" du jour offer. For example, some of us don't care for black wheels and appreciate the availability of chrome or polished aluminum wheels, too. If other manufacturers are no longer offering manual transmissions, then that is a great opportunity for the Corvette to stand out as being fairly unique. Keeping the manual transmission as standard and the automatic/DCT as an extra cost option, helps make a business case because the automatic/DCT extra cost take subsidizes the manual availability. The fact that young people today don't know how to drive a manual transmission is a huge advantage in preventing drive-away theft. Being race car quick in a short distance with an automatic/DCT doesn't necessarily translate into a faster top end or better lap times (quick and fast are different qualities). Some even believe that driving a manual transmission car makes them better drivers because of the involvement required. In the end the type of driving one does will usually dictate the choice of transmission. To each his own.

Last edited by JFJr; 09-15-2018 at 12:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Judgment Day (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 04:24 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by ByRiver
Too bad they didn't ask me. I absolutely would not buy a Corvette, or any other sports car if it didn't have a manual transmission. If I was in the market for a new Corvette and there was no manual option, I will be down at the Porsche dealer looking at Carrera's.
...and don't equate a manual tranny with roll-up windows or a floor-mounted dimmer switch, as was the suggestion in an earlier reply. I had a 2015 A8 and after two years something was missing and I traded it for a 2017 GS M7. Of course having to change the TC in the A8 didn't help my attitude, but for the present and future this garage will house manual cars only, unless I decide to go electric at some point in time.

Last edited by iclick; 09-12-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:37 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Deja vu all over again? I remember when we used to argue auto over manual way back in high school. That was the 60s. It always ended the same way it does here.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:49 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Originally Posted by joemessman
Deja vu all over again? I remember when we used to argue auto over manual way back in high school. That was the 60s. It always ended the same way it does here.
Back in the 70's we argued that crank windows were better because you could roll up the windows if the crappy battery died. But secretly we all wished we could afford a car with power windows and locks.
ptalar (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 05:35 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 776 Likes on 469 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

I just hope that if it's auto only, that the C8 has the ability to change gears with the gear selector in addition to the paddle shifters. Paddle shifters are worthless in an autocross. You're turning the steering wheel so much you can't find them. Or make them fixed to the column instead of the wheel. My .02 cents, I have a 72 LT-1, it only came with a 4-speed.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:05 PM
fumbling
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by F4Gary
I just hope that if it's auto only, that the C8 has the ability to change gears with the gear selector in addition to the paddle shifters. Paddle shifters are worthless in an autocross. You're turning the steering wheel so much you can't find them. Or make them fixed to the column instead of the wheel. My .02 cents, I have a 72 LT-1, it only came with a 4-speed.
I would agree with this, I have a M7 but if I had to drive auto I would rather manually shift with the gear selector lever although there will probably be times where paddle shifting would be easier. Are there any cars that shift manually with both paddles and the lever?

Last edited by fumbling; 09-12-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:26 PM
zzrider
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can confidently say I would never buy a Corvette or any sports car without a manual tranny. An auto is an absolute dealbreaker. For me, a key factor in owning a fun car is the engagement in the driving experience you get from shifting. There simply is no substitute and I couldn't care less if an auto is fractionally faster; that clutch pedal and shifter is FUN.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:42 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by ptalar
I don't know why you guys pine for a manual trans. The only reasons manual trans existed in the first place is because of the natural progression of technology. Manual transmissions were the state of the art when cars were first being sold over a 100 years ago. The automatic trans came out in the late 30s, 40s. So the technology transition began from manual to auto.
Thanks for the history lesson. I'm guessing everyone here is aware of every point you made. It's not exactly new or unknown information. The one sentence you stated, however, is telling. "I don't know why you guys pine for a manual trans." The answer to that is, if you don't understand, than you don't get it. And if you don't get it, there's nothing anyone else can do or say to get you to understand. and it's not worth trying. Why did you waste money on a Corvette? There are people who don't get that either. They don't understand why you can't be satisfied with a Honda Civic. Why do you want to spend tree or four times as much money for a Corvette that holds only two people? How utterly absurd!

Last edited by mschuyler; 09-15-2018 at 06:04 PM.
Z07kid (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 07:44 PM
BlackHoleGravity
Heel & Toe

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I used to be a manual only sports car guy, but I am really enjoying my auto C7 for daily driving...I just hope it holds up :-)
Old 09-12-2018, 07:47 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Originally Posted by fumbling
I would agree with this, I have a M7 but if I had to drive auto I would rather manually shift with the gear selector lever although there will probably be times where paddle shifting would be easier. Are there any cars that shift manually with both paddles and the lever?
Don't know of a current car, but the 2002-2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder, which earlier only came with a manual transmission, came out with Sequential Manual Transmission (SMT) as an option. It was a single clutch manual transmission with a computer controlled clutch. You could shift it with the steering wheel buttons, or bump the floor shifter. The crazy thing about it was there was no auto shift function. You had to manually up shift and downshift each gear, with the computer operating the clutch. The only cool thing was when you came to a stop, it would automatically put it back into 1st gear. BMW had a system called sequential manual gearbox" (SMG) that was similar, but it had an automatic mode also.

Read about it here : https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...take-road-test

CorvetteBrent (09-13-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 09:40 PM
ptalar
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Thanks for the history lesson. I'm guessing everyone here is aware of every point you made. It's not exactly new or unknown information. The one sentence you stated, however, is telling. "I don't know why you guys pine for a manual trans." The answer to that is, if you don't understand, than you don't get it. And if you don't get it, there's nothing anyone else can do or say to get you to understand. and it's not worth trying. Why did you waste money on a Corvette? There are people who don't get that either. They don't understand why you can't be satisfied with a Honda Civic. Why do you want to spend tree or four ties as much money for a Corvette that holds only two people? How utterly absurd!
I have driven manual shift cars in the past. It has done nothing for me. But that is me. If you prefer manual so be it. The auto with paddle shift capability is plenty for me. And yes I have a 2016 Z51 3LT. But it is not the end of the world if the next gen vette comes with a DCT trans instead of a manual. The manual trans is going the way of the carbeaurator and single/dual point distributor. I certainly won't miss it.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:45 PM
SuperdadZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by zzrider
I can confidently say I would never buy a Corvette or any sports car without a manual tranny. An auto is an absolute dealbreaker. For me, a key factor in owning a fun car is the engagement in the driving experience you get from shifting. There simply is no substitute and I couldn't care less if an auto is fractionally faster; that clutch pedal and shifter is FUN.
I could not agree more

Get notified of new replies

To C7 to be the last manual Corvette?

Old 09-12-2018, 10:18 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

If I get time this weekend, I'm going to the Lotus dealer and check out their mid engine Evora Sport 410 GP. It is the same price as a Z06, and has a 6-speed manual.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:21 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Good we're glad you won't miss a manual trans, carbs, or points/distributor. Whew! That was easy.
The following 2 users liked this post by AORoads:
CorvetteBrent (09-13-2018), LT1 Z51 (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 03:48 AM
CorvetteBrent
Burning Brakes

Received 320 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by patentcad
I won't really know how much or if I'll miss the stick until I own an auto C8 for a while, and then it's too late. Oh well. Tech marches on. Somehow I don't think anybody's going to sell their mid-engine C8 for this reason, that would be the automotive equivalent of throwing Jennifer Anniston out of bed for eating crackers.
Maybe nobody will sell their C8 for that reason, but the question remains, how may sales will GM lose to the other brands which are still available with a manual? Several Corvette loyalist members of my local car club have informed me that they will NEVER buy a non-manual Corvette. Sadly, I think that Porsche in particular may "scoop up" the "death before driving an automatic" crowd.
The following 4 users liked this post by CorvetteBrent:
AORoads (09-18-2018), falcon5619 (09-13-2018), Judgment Day (09-13-2018), LT1 Z51 (09-13-2018)

Quick Reply: C7 to be the last manual Corvette?