C7 to be the last manual Corvette? - Page 6 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 to be the last manual Corvette?

Old 09-13-2018, 09:33 PM
ByRiver
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlackHoleGravity View Post
I suspect if the C8 kicks major *ss, a lot of manual only folks might change their mind. There aren't a ton of manual options out there for top performance cars.
For me, a Sports car is a high performance car with a powerful engine, preferably a V8, with a manual transmission. An automatic transmission is what your mother has in her vehicle, or people who wants a sport car, but can't or don't want to drive it like it was intended. Just like a motorcycle is two wheels and an open or twisty road. Then you have those who can't, so they add a 3rd wheel. It then ceases to be a motorcycle.

I will never own a sports car under any circumstances if it doesn't have a manual transmission. I was thinking of buying the Alpha Romeo 4C Quadrafoilio when it came out, but was blown away when I found out they don't offer it with a stick shift. The salesman asked if I wanted to take a test drive, but I said no. I had a spot in the garage all picked out for it. I'll wait for the C8 to be released to see if it has a manual transmission. Kick butt or not, I won't consider it if it doesn't have a stick in it.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:09 PM
kaplana08
CF Senior Member

Default Until

Until I hear it directly from GM. I dont believe all the experts. I feel GM will offer a manual in the tradition of Corvette.
a

Old 09-13-2018, 11:37 PM
themonk
CF Senior Member

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by mschuyler View Post
Yes. VERY likely a DCT only.
probably not a DCT, just an automatic.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:36 AM
spinkick
CF Senior Member

100% dct only. Don't knock it till you try it
Old 09-14-2018, 01:51 AM
patentcad
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by spinkick View Post
100% dct only. Don't knock it till you try it
I've driven them a number of times, I owned a car with an auto and paddles. It's not the same. You wind up not using the paddles, at least that's how it was for me. I like the stick, but I don't know how much I miss it until they pry mine from my cold dead hands- sigh, only kidding. That mid-engine C8 looks too cool.
The Following User Says Thank You to patentcad For This Useful Post:
LT1 Z51 (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 08:38 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by kaplana08 View Post
Until I hear it directly from GM. I dont believe all the experts. I feel GM will offer a manual in the tradition of Corvette.
a
Your thought process would have merit if that car was "in the tradition of the Corvette" in any other way. Which it's not. Mid-Engine, not in the tradition. OHC V8's not in the tradition. Turbocharging, not in the tradition. Hybrid options, not in the tradition. There have been changes in the Corvette sure, loss the of solid rear axle when the C2 came out, the move to leaf springs near the end of the C3 generation i the rear and with the C4 in the front, as well as the rear mounted transmission starting with the C5. But really there never has been as much of a "recasting" of the brand as there will be with this mid-engine car. Tradition is out the window, Tadge has said as much (and he doesn't care for tradition anyway), he and GM want to just build the fastest most technological car they can. Even if it means turning it into a generic run of the mill super-car (Mclaren/Ferrari/Lambo) clone. It's quite sad really. A Corvette was a unique car, just like a Viper was a unique car. Now they don't care about that and a lot of customers will go elsewhere.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:57 AM
JerryU
2017 GS, M7, 2.5LT
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 2,127 Times in 1,589 Posts

^^^

Agree with all but the last three sentences!

Also remember how foolish we early 1960’s drag races though that independent axles were in the '63 Vette! Also when they introduced disk brakes in the ’65 Vette recall “old man Ferrari’s” statement about his slow switch to disk brakes, “I build cars to go not stop!”

Last edited by JerryU; 09-14-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:08 AM
JerryU
2017 GS, M7, 2.5LT
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 2,127 Times in 1,589 Posts
Default Possible GM Solution

Been thinking about a solution for those of us that have only driven standard shifts as DD's as I have now for ~60 years but also want the latest technology (and I will buy a C8 even if a stick and clutch are not available.)

Since the computer controls the trans and clutch(s) why not just do something similar to what we have now with rev match! Use sensors and let the computer shift the DCT using a "stick" for those that want to use one! No need to have it mechanically connected! They could even use the old Ferrari metal gate to look cool!. They could develop the logic for a third pedal to use at launch. Even if it is just activating a switch! And I guess it could be used when changing gears if you want even if it really does nothing then!

That could be an option and bet those "I'll only buy a stick" will opt to flip the switch to fully auto in bumper to bumper traffic!

Just Sayn'!

Last edited by JerryU; 09-14-2018 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:13 AM
VetteDrmr
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51 View Post
Even if it means turning it into a generic run of the mill super-car (Mclaren/Ferrari/Lambo) clone.
Not sure why, but this struck my funny bone this morning.

Honestly, I have no idea what GM's going to do as far as Corvette goes. Remember the utter hatred at the C7 taillights? Or the fixed headlights of the C6? Or the rear of the C5? Or the....

We love the C7; we're afraid of what the C8 is going to bring. Will it work, or be an utter failure? Will there be one car or two? Will the MR be a super restricted halo car or mass produce for us?

All will be answered, I'm guessing late this year in Dubai (based on the ZR-1 reveal).

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 09-14-2018, 09:32 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr View Post
Not sure why, but this struck my funny bone this morning.

Honestly, I have no idea what GM's going to do as far as Corvette goes. Remember the utter hatred at the C7 taillights? Or the fixed headlights of the C6? Or the rear of the C5? Or the....

We love the C7; we're afraid of what the C8 is going to bring. Will it work, or be an utter failure? Will there be one car or two? Will the MR be a super restricted halo car or mass produce for us?

All will be answered, I'm guessing late this year in Dubai (based on the ZR-1 reveal).

Have a good one,
Mike
Oh most certainly it will work, and it will sell well. GM isn't wrong on this regard. But like Cadillac they are throwing away the current customer base to chase a new customer base. There is some thought to this to keep a car viable, but there is evolution and revolution. The stuff you mentioned upset people but was evolutionary and so people eventually got over it. And as time went on more people got over it. Revolution doesn't work that way. Some people will just be gone.... FOREVER. I'm not a mid-engine fan, so I'm done with Corvettes if there is no FMR variant. Not that I'll sell my C7, as I enjoy the car. But mid-engine isn't for me. No manual just seals the deal.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:46 AM
Judgment Day
CF Senior Member

Your thought process would have merit if that car was "in the tradition of the Corvette" in any other way. Which it's not. Mid-Engine, not in the tradition. OHC V8's not in the tradition. Turbocharging, not in the tradition. Hybrid options, not in the tradition. There have been changes in the Corvette sure, loss the of solid rear axle when the C2 came out, the move to leaf springs near the end of the C3 generation i the rear and with the C4 in the front, as well as the rear mounted transmission starting with the C5. But really there never has been as much of a "recasting" of the brand as there will be with this mid-engine car. Tradition is out the window, Tadge has said as much (and he doesn't care for tradition anyway), he and GM want to just build the fastest most technological car they can. Even if it means turning it into a generic run of the mill super-car (Mclaren/Ferrari/Lambo) clone. It's quite sad really. A Corvette was a unique car, just like a Viper was a unique car. Now they don't care about that and a lot of customers will go elsewhere.
In your opinion, do you think Tadge will occasionally bring up "Zora's dream" of a mid-engine as a marketing ploy in an attempt to bring those traditionalists back?
PS: I miss the Viper
Old 09-14-2018, 09:48 AM
Corgidog1
CF Senior Member

Oh most certainly it will work, and it will sell well. GM isn't wrong on this regard. But like Cadillac they are throwing away the current customer base to chase a new customer base. There is some thought to this to keep a car viable, but there is evolution and revolution. The stuff you mentioned upset people but was evolutionary and so people eventually got over it. And as time went on more people got over it. Revolution doesn't work that way. Some people will just be gone.... FOREVER. I'm not a mid-engine fan, so I'm done with Corvettes if there is no FMR variant. Not that I'll sell my C7, as I enjoy the car. But mid-engine isn't for me. No manual just seals the deal.
Throw in no convertible at least for the first year and subtract a few more people.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:44 AM
VetteDrmr
CF Senior Member

I'm not a mid-engine fan...
Just out of curiosity, how come? I know I have my concerns, but they're all based on previous MR designs, so I don't know how GM would package things to solve the classic problems (hard to maintain, heat, etc.).

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 09-14-2018, 11:32 AM
ByRiver
CF Senior Member

Once you go on a spirited drive in a mid-engine car, you will forget about Front engine cars. You just have to experience it for yourself.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:34 PM
VetteDrmr
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ByRiver View Post
Once you go on a spirited drive in a mid-engine car, you will forget about Front engine cars. You just have to experience it for yourself.
You mean like a Fiero? Or an MR2 (admittedly better than the Fiero)?
Old 09-14-2018, 12:39 PM
kaplana08
CF Senior Member

Default Mid engine nightmare scenario

GM puts the defective A8 in the mid engine............
Old 09-14-2018, 12:44 PM
JDSKY
CF Senior Member

For me, a Sports car is a high performance car with a powerful engine, preferably a V8, with a manual transmission. An automatic transmission is what your mother has in her vehicle, or people who wants a sport car, but can't or don't want to drive it like it was intended. Just like a motorcycle is two wheels and an open or twisty road. Then you have those who can't, so they add a 3rd wheel. It then ceases to be a motorcycle.

I will never own a sports car under any circumstances if it doesn't have a manual transmission. I was thinking of buying the Alpha Romeo 4C Quadrafoilio when it came out, but was blown away when I found out they don't offer it with a stick shift. The salesman asked if I wanted to take a test drive, but I said no. I had a spot in the garage all picked out for it. I'll wait for the C8 to be released to see if it has a manual transmission. Kick butt or not, I won't consider it if it doesn't have a stick in it.
Opening your mind, even just a little, can lead to experiencing a lot.......
Old 09-14-2018, 12:46 PM
joemessman
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,104 Times in 744 Posts

Hopefully they will have test drive models. But of course the dealerships probably won't cooperate, or will be far and few in between. The forum dealers allow test drives, but other dealerships not so much.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:58 PM
JFJr
Support Corvetteforum!

My previous car was a 2009 CTS-V with a manual transmission. Probably the best sedan GM ever made and hit all the right notes. The current generation CTS-V did not offer a manual transmission, so after 130,000+ miles I sold the 2009 to a young man who really appreciates it today. The C7 checked all the right boxes for me (naturally aspirated V8, front engine, manual transmission, great brakes), so I went with the C7 and love it. Cadillac lost a sale to me because of the ill-advised decision to appeal to the masses. I hope that future Corvettes will retain the transmission choice until we're all driving hydrogen-powered appliances.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:02 PM
JDSKY
CF Senior Member

But really there never has been as much of a "recasting" of the brand as there will be with this mid-engine car. Tradition is out the window, Tadge has said as much (and he doesn't care for tradition anyway), he and GM want to just build the fastest most technological car they can. Even if it means turning it into a generic run of the mill super-car (Mclaren/Ferrari/Lambo) clone. It's quite sad really. A Corvette was a unique car, just like a Viper was a unique car. Now they don't care about that and a lot of customers will go elsewhere.
How can an attempt at evolving the Corvette into the fastest, most technological car they can equate to "turning it into a generic run of the mill super-car?"

None of the super-car brands you name are "run of the mill" and bringing more of what they have to a Corvette hardly makes it generic and definitely not less desirable. These cars represent qualities that every sports car enthusiast desires. The Corvette is America's sports car. One that embodies many of the qualities of these cars at a price a large swath of Americans can actually own and enjoy whether it's owning a current gen or even more affordable previous generation version of it.

Bottom line is every product must evolve and change or die. The good news for the Corvette die-hard fans that refuse to adapt or change there will always be a plentiful supply of a generation or two that they love.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: