Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 transmission shudder, lucky me

Old 09-12-2018, 08:00 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by nightroddersp
I thought the 17 A8s did require you to have the car in Tour or Eco. I have been using Sport mode on all setting and haven't notice any shutter but I did notice the car leave 1st gear to soon when feathering the gas up to a right hand turn at a red light or stop sign. Push the gas when exiting the turn and it tries to accelerate in second but ends up shifting into 1st then almost immediately shifting back to second.
Nah, with the A8 AFM will kick in regardless of drive mode you are in. The only way to to turn it off is to put the trans in manual mode and paddle shift. You can see this for yourself on the dash when you set it to that screen that shows your mileage and at the bottom is a V4 or V8 symbol. Just drive around and you will watch it switch from V8 to V4 mode all time. It will stay at V8 mode while at idle and then once you are steady cruising you will see it switch to V4 (AFM) mode.
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (10-02-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 08:03 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Inferno18
That seems like the best solution to the problem! Not moving to Europe, but reprogramming the vehicle to only allow the AFM to engage while in Eco mode. Is that even possible to do at this point? Could GM rewrite a program and reflash our cars only to engage the AFM in Eco mode?
They could but won't. They need AFM to meet the fuel regulations. It can be permanently tuned out by a tuner but you then put your warranty at risk. The Range device is so popular because for under $200 you can plug it in and it disables AFM from engaging while not modifying the ECU tune.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:11 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Another thing to keep in mind is that this TC shudder issue shows up on A8s all across the different GM vehicles using it. Denalis, Tahoes, Trucks, Camaros, etc. I had a new 2016 Camaro 2SS and sure enough right around 4500 miles I am cruising on the highway and here it comes...call it shudder, rumble strips, whatever but it is very disconcerting and at that point you know it will only get worse from there. Triple Flush, then order a new TC and pray it doesn't come back. Some try to get a Range device on the car right after they get a new TC to help avoid the issue from repeating. Now, if new fluid is working then so be but it must be performing some magic to help reduce the shudder to lower levels or whatever but I hope it offers a long term fix.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:19 AM
retcav1sg
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm really wanting and am in the market for a C7, it would be vette number 12. As I'm reading and researching, this AFM issue really has me second guessing a purchase. Am I correct in understanding that this is an isolated issue not a "when not if" issue which has been magnified by those coming to the board to sound off? Surely the percentage of problem cars has to be quite small. Are the 2014 models with the A6 transmission afflicted by the same issue? Any help/reassurance/opinions would greatly appreciated.
Mike
Old 09-13-2018, 09:37 AM
Sellout
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

My 18GS hasn't had any shuddering that I can feel. I'm at 7800 miles now and the only issues I can relate to AFM are a squeak noise from behind me when it switches to V4, and a constant tick at idle that I've been assuming is coming from one of the AFM lifters. This tick is too slow to be the fuel pump in my opinion, but they say it's normal.

The shop foreman at my local dealer is putting in a request for help from the engineers to diagnose that squeak sound now.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:03 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Sellout
My 18GS hasn't had any shuddering that I can feel. I'm at 7800 miles now and the only issues I can relate to AFM are a squeak noise from behind me when it switches to V4, and a constant tick at idle that I've been assuming is coming from one of the AFM lifters. This tick is too slow to be the fuel pump in my opinion, but they say it's normal.

The shop foreman at my local dealer is putting in a request for help from the engineers to diagnose that squeak sound now.
The tick from the fuel pump is a slow tick at idle and sounds very much like a lifter tick since it is also driven via a camshaft lobe. As the shop notes it is normal. My 2016 Z06 is the third GM vehicle I have owned with a direct injected gas engine, my 2008 CTS was the first and GM did a lot of sound deadening since direct injection was still relatively new and they were trying to control the level of this "new" sound but now that it has become such a commonly used system there is far less attention paid to attenuating the direct noise from the pump itself and further distributed via the common fuel rails. It can be disconcerting for those new to these engines but it is a normal operating characteristic of the engine.

The squeak from the additional AFM sound control valves has been reported by others and replacement will cure it at least for some time. These valves live in a rough position in the exhaust system and don't stand up well to the heat of the exhaust when driven in a spirited fashion and even if they are open they still get hot. They were never used on the Z06 because they simply won't stand up to the heat and those who track the other models cook them regularly.

I would keep your torque converter clutch in good health by either leaving the transmission in manual mode or using a Range module. With AFM, regardless of the magic fluid used, it is a question of when and not if the converter lockup clutch will suffer enough wear to create enough slippage to cause shudder. If you only plan to keep the car for a short time it isn't an issue but if you like your Corvette and plan to hang onto it for some time the slight fuel mileage gain from V4 mode operation isn't worth having to have your car largely disassembled to replace the torque converter once wear reaches the point where friction modified fluid can no longer mask the underlying problem. The use of AFM itself is questionable but the attempt to minimize vibration of the engine running in V4 mode via abuse of the converter clutch was a terrible idea and it is a problem across the GM product line and not limited only to the Corvette.

Last edited by NSC5; 09-13-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Jeffer (10-05-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 11:59 AM
Cosmo Kramer
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
They could but since it was economy certified with the present programming that reprogram won't happen (something which must make the owners of Range very happy). If I were one of the people behind Range I would definitely have the GM folks responsible for AFM on my Christmas card list and probably name my yacht after one of their first born children.

For those of you old enough to have been around for the early days of SNL, Garrett Morris had a famous skit in which he played a Hispanic baseball player and his classic line was, "Baseball been berry, berry good to me" and I imagine some of the people at Range must be thinking "AFM been berry, berry good to me"
Old 09-13-2018, 12:31 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,215 Likes on 13,926 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Hope you get this resolved. I can imagine your frustration after spending that much on a car.
stevesrubyred93 (09-15-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 01:59 PM
GOC
Burning Brakes

Received 199 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Slynky
There is a sticky thread that you might want to check out.

I've looked for examples of 18s and 19s doing this and although I thought I remember reading it somewhere, I can't find it now. There is one post in that long thread that "suggests" that the part number in question hasn't changed in production models for the last several years.

Also, it seems a lot of people just buy that range AFM controller thingie (don't remember the name) to stop the vehicle from passing in and out of V4 mode (which some people attribute the shudder to).

Anyway, sorry to hear--hope it's an easy fix for you !!
In the A8, does it go in and out of V4 in all modes or just ECO?
rvan (09-19-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 06:38 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

My 2017 Silverado 6.2 with A8 didn't shudder till almost 26k miles, going to dealership tomorrow.
Shudder feels like it's getting worse...feel like I'm driving a POS.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:17 PM
stevesrubyred93
8th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is today's update. Dropped of my car a few hours ago and the service manager told me that it did sound like a torque converter shudder.If it is diagnosed with a shudder he said they would do a transmission flush and install updated fluid.I said it was a 18 and should already have the updated fluid. He said it depends on the build date. So apparently there are a ton off these out there that were made in 17.He did tell me if it was a Silverado they would replace the torque converter on the first visit, but not on the Vettes. He told me they receive Silverados everyday with this problem and they had 5 of them in the bays right now,and it might take a while to get to mine. Its not just Silverado's and Corvettes either. There was a Colorado parked right in front of me with a shudder problem that he pointed out to me.So If they are replacing the converters on the trucks, why not the Vettes? Sounds like it's too expensive on the Vettes.I will update when I know more.
The following 3 users liked this post by stevesrubyred93:
djnice (09-14-2018), NemesisC5 (09-14-2018), Slynky (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 07:41 PM
Sellout
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by GOC
In the A8, does it go in and out of V4 in all modes or just ECO?
All modes with the transmission in auto. The only way to avoid it by default is to keep the transmission in manual.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:57 PM
retcav1sg
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah...really rethinking if I want to dive into this pool, does the 2014 with the A6 suffer this same affliction?
Old 09-13-2018, 08:21 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by retcav1sg
Yeah...really rethinking if I want to dive into this pool, does the 2014 with the A6 suffer this same affliction?
I have not heard of the A6 experiencing this issue but I could be wrong. Although the A8 has this issue in all the GM vehicles that use it. It is AFM, they ruined a great transmission with that fuel saving tech that really doesn't save that much fuel. Ask the folks using the Range device.

Now, if you like to row your own gears the Tremec M7 is a sweet transmission and you never really hear bad things about it. It sounds like manuals will be collectors items soon so might as well pick one up. :-)
Old 09-13-2018, 09:42 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,756 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Listen, the good news bad news here is this...

they know what caused it. They addressed it with the new fluid formulation.

If it needs a new converter? You'll never know the car was apart of the tech is worth a dam.

just get it done and move on.

sucks that some early 18s didnt receive new fluid.

they should be swapping the fluid on delivery so they dont have to deal with this nonsense later.

gm hoping people dont realize it and keep driving lol unreal..

just had my 16 (10 15 build) 8spd Sierra converter replaced and fluid flushed new filter etc at 25k miles. Drives BETTER than new.. no bs. So just have it done (and dont watch).
Old 09-13-2018, 11:58 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

it's funny to read that even with all the examples of bad A8 trannies, people are willing to risk it because they don't or can't drive a MN7.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:14 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,978 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Aside from our physically disabled C7 brethern, I think most of the A8 buyers don't give buying the auto a second thought. They're so happy to get a C7, they never gave the lack of the manual a thought. They've probably been driving an auto for so long, they're probably not thinking straight. I think the majority thought the C7 only comes as an auto trans.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 09-14-2018 at 12:15 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2018 transmission shudder, lucky me

Old 09-14-2018, 09:02 AM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,488 Likes on 1,886 Posts

I’m on the vette, Camaro and Tahoe/Yukon forums. This A8 has been a curse on GM buyers since 2015. Some play it off like it’s “just a handful” of people, but the number of failures are ridiculous. My vette and Camaro are manuals (luckily, no back or leg issues for me, I can enjoy my manuals) and when I was in the market a couple months back for a 16/17 low mileage SUV, the Tahoe was my only option as the Yukon has the dreaded A8 (a whole lot of pissed off Yukon owners on the forums). Let’s hope the A10 story is a better one.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:17 AM
2500 hd
Race Director

Received 339 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor ‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

If I start having those issues, I will trade mine on a manual..
Old 09-14-2018, 09:34 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by retcav1sg
I'm really wanting and am in the market for a C7, it would be vette number 12. As I'm reading and researching, this AFM issue really has me second guessing a purchase. Am I correct in understanding that this is an isolated issue not a "when not if" issue which has been magnified by those coming to the board to sound off? Surely the percentage of problem cars has to be quite small. Are the 2014 models with the A6 transmission afflicted by the same issue? Any help/reassurance/opinions would greatly appreciated.
Mike
Scheduled my 2017 Silverado 1500 6.2L / A8 for 9-27-18 fluid flush and "diagnoses". General Manager said A6 equipped don't have this issue and so far no issues with A10. In my truck the shudder occurs at TC lockup, usually between 1300-1600 rpm in gears 3 and up where load on engine is higher. It is not "solely" dependant on switching from V4-V8, I monitored this for days and did not not once see the the 2 conditions occur simultaneously. However, I cannot say that AFM did not contribute to causing problem initially.
Slynky (09-14-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 transmission shudder, lucky me